View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 10:21 pm



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions Traded For A New Player 
Author Message
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
I don't mind this pickup at all.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


October 30th, 2012, 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As long as it's a 7th I'm fine with it. Wonder what team has an excess safety for us to grab? Why don't we try out that guy the Eagles cut last month. Jaiquan Jarrett I think. Dude is young and was a second round pick last year. I know he didn't get it in Philly but he did have some talent.


Reports say a "mid-round pick," so it's not a 7th. Probably 6th or 5th.



Ah I totally missed that part. We already don't have a 4th so I hope it wasn't our 5th. We need more picks next year somehow.


Jason La Canfora reports it was our 5th round pick in 2014.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


October 30th, 2012, 11:49 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2378
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
mwill2 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As long as it's a 7th I'm fine with it. Wonder what team has an excess safety for us to grab? Why don't we try out that guy the Eagles cut last month. Jaiquan Jarrett I think. Dude is young and was a second round pick last year. I know he didn't get it in Philly but he did have some talent.


Reports say a "mid-round pick," so it's not a 7th. Probably 6th or 5th.



Ah I totally missed that part. We already don't have a 4th so I hope it wasn't our 5th. We need more picks next year somehow.


Jason La Canfora reports it was our 5th round pick in 2014.


Side note--we're due to get a decent comp pick in 2013 because Eric Wright is playing so much in Tampa.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


October 31st, 2012, 6:48 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
How much do we think Thomas might line up in the backfield? Logan used to do that more and with Best out I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use Thomas as a speed back once in awhile catching the ball out of the backfield.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 31st, 2012, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
Pablo wrote:
How much do we think Thomas might line up in the backfield? Logan used to do that more and with Best out I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use Thomas as a speed back once in awhile catching the ball out of the backfield.


Yup, they experimented with Logan in this role in the preseason and got no production out of him. Lions are clearly missing that explosive dynamic out of the backfield, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas line up in the backfield. And obviously he'd be able to motion out to the slot, as Linehan liked to do with Best.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how roster bonuses work in trade scenarios? Thomas apparently has a $3.5M roster bonus due in March--does he have to be on the Jags roster in order to earn that money or will the Lions be on the hook for that?

Edited: Regarding the text in blue, nevermind...it looks like the roster bonus was due last March--the Jags already paid it.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


October 31st, 2012, 2:38 pm
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2293
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
anyone care to guess which safety we might make a move on?

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 31st, 2012, 3:28 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
How much do we think Thomas might line up in the backfield? Logan used to do that more and with Best out I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use Thomas as a speed back once in awhile catching the ball out of the backfield.


Yup, they experimented with Logan in this role in the preseason and got no production out of him. Lions are clearly missing that explosive dynamic out of the backfield, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas line up in the backfield. And obviously he'd be able to motion out to the slot, as Linehan liked to do with Best.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how roster bonuses work in trade scenarios? Thomas apparently has a $3.5M roster bonus due in March--does he have to be on the Jags roster in order to earn that money or will the Lions be on the hook for that?

Edited: Regarding the text in blue, nevermind...it looks like the roster bonus was due last March--the Jags already paid it.


FWIW contracts are generally assigned to the new team, anything that would have had to be paid for by the prior team would be owed by the new team.


November 1st, 2012, 4:10 pm
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2378
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
wjb21ndtown wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
How much do we think Thomas might line up in the backfield? Logan used to do that more and with Best out I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use Thomas as a speed back once in awhile catching the ball out of the backfield.


Yup, they experimented with Logan in this role in the preseason and got no production out of him. Lions are clearly missing that explosive dynamic out of the backfield, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas line up in the backfield. And obviously he'd be able to motion out to the slot, as Linehan liked to do with Best.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how roster bonuses work in trade scenarios? Thomas apparently has a $3.5M roster bonus due in March--does he have to be on the Jags roster in order to earn that money or will the Lions be on the hook for that?

Edited: Regarding the text in blue, nevermind...it looks like the roster bonus was due last March--the Jags already paid it.


FWIW contracts are generally assigned to the new team, anything that would have had to be paid for by the prior team would be owed by the new team.


It's true, but Thomas' rates for this year and next are pretty modest--about $1.5 million a year--and this year's prorated. It balloons in 2014 but who knows if he'll be anywhere near Allen Park then.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


November 1st, 2012, 4:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
How much do we think Thomas might line up in the backfield? Logan used to do that more and with Best out I wouldn't be surprised if they try to use Thomas as a speed back once in awhile catching the ball out of the backfield.


Yup, they experimented with Logan in this role in the preseason and got no production out of him. Lions are clearly missing that explosive dynamic out of the backfield, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Thomas line up in the backfield. And obviously he'd be able to motion out to the slot, as Linehan liked to do with Best.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how roster bonuses work in trade scenarios? Thomas apparently has a $3.5M roster bonus due in March--does he have to be on the Jags roster in order to earn that money or will the Lions be on the hook for that?

Edited: Regarding the text in blue, nevermind...it looks like the roster bonus was due last March--the Jags already paid it.


FWIW contracts are generally assigned to the new team, anything that would have had to be paid for by the prior team would be owed by the new team.


It's true, but Thomas' rates for this year and next are pretty modest--about $1.5 million a year--and this year's prorated. It balloons in 2014 but who knows if he'll be anywhere near Allen Park then.



The nice part about traded for players is there's no cap hit to cut or trade them. We're not on the hook for any future salary, and it won't cost a dime to get rid if him if his production ever doesn't match his pay.


November 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
Quote:
DETROIT LIONS: New WR Mike Thomas provides versatility

ALLEN PARK — It’s a fresh start for veteran wide receiver Mike Thomas.

For the Detroit Lions he’s yet another option on an offense which is ranked second in the NFL averaging 407.6 yards per game.

Thomas was acquired from the Jacksonville Jaguars in a trade for a fifth-round draft pick and was practiced on Thursday for the first time. Lucky him, it was a day that practice was outside. It was a blustery grad day with the temperature at 41 degrees.

“A little climate change for me,’’ Thomas said. “It was good — obviously a quick tempo, kind of similar to Jacksonville which tries to have a quick tempo as well. Definitely two different programs.’’

Thomas was the Lions only trade with the NFL trade deadline at 4 p.m. on Thursday.

“Mike is an experienced receiver, adds to our veteran depth. He has a lot of talent, a lot of skill, has been a very productive guy in his career,’’ Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said.

“He’s a very versatile player, I see him kind of as an offensive utility player for us, also a special teams guy,’’ Mayhew said. “Our coaches will decide how to use him but he’s a very talented guy who can help us win football games.’’

Mayhew added the coaches will decide what role he will play. It’s possible he could line up in the backfield like Jahvid Best used to do.

“He does a lot of things on offense,’’ Mayhew said. “I’ve seen him line up in the backfield, I’ve seen him line up in the slot, I’ve seen him outside. Punt returns, kickoff returns — he can do a lot of different things for us and he has experience making plays.’’

Thomas, who has a chance to play on Sunday against his former team, will play wherever he is needed.
“Whatever they see me as I’m going to try to follow suit,’’ Thomas said. “I think I’m pretty explosive. I think I can definitely help make plays and complement what’s already here. Whatever role they see for me I’m going to try to digest it, accept it and make the most of it.’’

For Thomas it’s a chance for a fresh start after three-plus seasons in Jacksonville where he started three of seven games this season and 28 of 45 games played the last three seasons.

“I was kind of getting set to the side a little bit to the side, this will be somewhere where the opportunity that may come is a definite benefit for me,’’ Thomas said. “I look at it that way and I’m happy to be here.’’

The Jaguars had drafted wide receivers Justin Blackmon this year and Cecil Shorts in 2011.

Thomas, who will wear No. 19, said the Lions had not yet picked his brains about the Jaguars offensive schemes.

Also it hasn’t hit him that he’ll be playing against guys who were his teammates on Monday.

“It probably hasn’t hit me yet until Sunday when I get back on the field and see those guys,’’ Thomas said. “When you spend so much time at a place and come back and have to go right back that’s a little of a whirlwind that’s a part of it, I can handle it.’’

He would love to be a part of a Lions’ win on Sunday. He’d love even more to score a touchdown because Jaguars aren’t allowed to celebrate after scoring touchdowns instead they’re instructed to hand the ball to the official.

“It’d feel great, it’d feel awesome,’’ Thomas said. “I’ve got a few dances in mind.’’

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 2nd, 2012, 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 433
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
You couldn't have said that below better, Logan is horrible. I thought Broyles did some PR/KR in Oklahoma, I figured they would eventually turn the reins over to him. But Logan need to go back to stocking shelves he brings nothing but high blood pressure and stress when catching that punt.


wjb21ndtown wrote:
49ers wrote:
A WR?

Mike Thomas from Jacksonville Jaguars. The same guy who made that hail mary catch a year ago.

I saw it on ESPN.



Traded an undisclosed draft pick for him. They're probably looking for someone a little better than our practice squad guys to take Nate's spot. He can KR/PR too. I'd like to see us dump Logan. Logan is complete trash and adds nothing to this team. I would have rather we kept Justin Miller for KR/PR.


Draft Profile:
Quote:
Positives: Short, but has a strong, surprisingly think frame. Good initial burst off the snap and can quickly eat up the cushion if unchallenged at the line of scrimmage. Can sink his hips and shows good immediate burst out of his breaks. Good toughness as a receiver and returner. Not afraid of contact and will go over the middle or attack the seam as a returner with reckless abandon. Good vision for the cutback and sets up his blocks well. Soft hands for the reception. Can pluck outside of his frame. Good body control to make extend and make the tough catch. Short, but times his leaps well. Returned two punts as a senior -- his first year as a returner. Solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Well suited to moving inside to the slot position.

Negatives: Will be limited to a slot position in the NFL, as he lacks the size and strength to play outside. More quick than fast. Good timed speed, but lacks the top end speed to consistently beat defenders over the top. Prone to lapses in concentration and drops more passes than he should. Production is inflated due to Arizona's spread offense and lack of surrounding playmakers throughout much of Thomas' career.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


November 3rd, 2012, 3:58 am
Profile
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
I don't understand why Logan is still on the roster. Now we have two capable KR/PR guys in Broyles and Thomas, and Logan is STILL around. I don't get it. After he blew fair catching that punt at the 24 that was downed around the 5 I thought he would be cut immediately. The guy flat out blows...


November 5th, 2012, 3:00 pm
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2378
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't understand why Logan is still on the roster. Now we have two capable KR/PR guys in Broyles and Thomas, and Logan is STILL around. I don't get it. After he blew fair catching that punt at the 24 that was downed around the 5 I thought he would be cut immediately. The guy flat out blows...


I think it's coming...but to put a guy (Thomas) in on a short week would be needlessly careless. Logan definitely didn't help his case, though, so I think it will happen soon.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


November 5th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't understand why Logan is still on the roster. Now we have two capable KR/PR guys in Broyles and Thomas, and Logan is STILL around. I don't get it. After he blew fair catching that punt at the 24 that was downed around the 5 I thought he would be cut immediately. The guy flat out blows...


I think it's coming...but to put a guy (Thomas) in on a short week would be needlessly careless. Logan definitely didn't help his case, though, so I think it will happen soon.


To rely on Thomas on offense is one thing, especially when he hasn't had the playbook long, but to allow him to return punts is another. He still had 3 days of practice, and returning punts isn't rocket science. That said, I get where you're coming from, but after 9 weeks, it is embarrassing that Broyles wasn't given the role last week and if it didn't pan out then give it to Thomas. Like I said, Logan is an embarrassment to the NFL. The guy sucks and there's no excuse for it. To let a punt at the 24 yard line go over your head is utterly ridiculous for a seasoned vet. I mean, hell even if Thomas had only been here a few days, he can still let a punt go over his head just the same as Logan.


November 5th, 2012, 3:06 pm
Online
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions Traded For A New Player
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't understand why Logan is still on the roster. Now we have two capable KR/PR guys in Broyles and Thomas, and Logan is STILL around. I don't get it. After he blew fair catching that punt at the 24 that was downed around the 5 I thought he would be cut immediately. The guy flat out blows...



Logan is terrible. I brought this up last year but was lambasted by m2k...logan is no longer a threat as a return man which makes his weaknesses stand out. all we need is a surehanded guy who will fair catch punts at this point. thomas can do that. the lions missed a big opportunity when houston cut trindon holliday but he was claimed off waivers by denver. holliday has problems with fielding punts just like logan does but he s much younger and is a threat to take it to the house. at this point i d put thomas back there on punts and have one of the running backs either smith or bell back there on kick returns. they could use the roster spot to get greenwood or another db on the roster.


November 5th, 2012, 5:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aManNamedSuh, Google [Bot], inheritedlionsfan, jrd66, Killwill25, sweetd20, The Legend and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.