View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:28 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks 
Author Message
Stadium Announcer

Joined: January 28th, 2011, 2:15 am
Posts: 75
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
So I guess nobody is allowed to make a few mistakes? No NFL player in NFL history has been perfect. Since his contract is big and he doesn't have enough touchdowns to satisfy you he is playing badly. How many times last year did Calvin catch fades at the goal line. That won't happen now because we constantly run at the goal line and he gets gunner coverage. Also last year after the cowboys game they came out and said they needed to spread it out more because Calvin is risking injury coming down hard like that too often. I'm pretty sure Calvin is leading the league in tds since 09. He produced tds without stafford with kitna and the other qbs so the Andre Johnson comment doesn't make much sense.

NFL contracts get bigger and bigger every year it's not like they gave him a billion dollars anothr wr will top that in the next few years probably one not as good as Calvin too.


October 31st, 2012, 2:30 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
And lets not forget that Calvin is hands down the best blocking WR in the NFL

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


October 31st, 2012, 4:44 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
ZAndrews81 wrote:
So I guess nobody is allowed to make a few mistakes? No NFL player in NFL history has been perfect. Since his contract is big and he doesn't have enough touchdowns to satisfy you he is playing badly. How many times last year did Calvin catch fades at the goal line. That won't happen now because we constantly run at the goal line and he gets gunner coverage. Also last year after the cowboys game they came out and said they needed to spread it out more because Calvin is risking injury coming down hard like that too often. I'm pretty sure Calvin is leading the league in tds since 09. He produced tds without stafford with kitna and the other qbs so the Andre Johnson comment doesn't make much sense.

NFL contracts get bigger and bigger every year it's not like they gave him a billion dollars anothr wr will top that in the next few years probably one not as good as Calvin too.


It's not about being perfect. It's about living up to your contract. It's about being reliable and consistent. Calvin is NOT playing up to his contract, is not consistent and has been less than his reliable old self. Comparing him to Andre Johnson makes PERFECT sense, since AJ had no QB in Houston for most of his career worth mentioning, didn't have a strong running game until Arian Foster arrived, and has had nobody playing across from him to take double coverage away. Despite drawing double coverage, having less than stellar QBs throwing to him and not having any other offensive weapons around him, he still managed to catch passes at a reliable and high rate. It's why he was a multiple All Pro in his prime. Now both have good QBs to throw to them. The big difference is that AJ is no longer in his prime, but CJ is. And both are very good downfield blockers.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 1st, 2012, 12:54 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3574
Location: WSU
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
m2karateman wrote:
ZAndrews81 wrote:
So I guess nobody is allowed to make a few mistakes? No NFL player in NFL history has been perfect. Since his contract is big and he doesn't have enough touchdowns to satisfy you he is playing badly. How many times last year did Calvin catch fades at the goal line. That won't happen now because we constantly run at the goal line and he gets gunner coverage. Also last year after the cowboys game they came out and said they needed to spread it out more because Calvin is risking injury coming down hard like that too often. I'm pretty sure Calvin is leading the league in tds since 09. He produced tds without stafford with kitna and the other qbs so the Andre Johnson comment doesn't make much sense.

NFL contracts get bigger and bigger every year it's not like they gave him a billion dollars anothr wr will top that in the next few years probably one not as good as Calvin too.


It's not about being perfect. It's about living up to your contract. It's about being reliable and consistent. Calvin is NOT playing up to his contract, is not consistent and has been less than his reliable old self. Comparing him to Andre Johnson makes PERFECT sense, since AJ had no QB in Houston for most of his career worth mentioning, didn't have a strong running game until Arian Foster arrived, and has had nobody playing across from him to take double coverage away. Despite drawing double coverage, having less than stellar QBs throwing to him and not having any other offensive weapons around him, he still managed to catch passes at a reliable and high rate. It's why he was a multiple All Pro in his prime. Now both have good QBs to throw to them. The big difference is that AJ is no longer in his prime, but CJ is. And both are very good downfield blockers.


im not sure where you are going with this, it would have made more sense if you had mentioned charles rogers somewhere in there. i hope mayhew doesnt panic as much as you have bc CJ dropped a difficult but catchable pass at the end of the game. the touchdowns will come if stafford can continue to find his other targets not bc m2k from lionbacker ripped megatron a new one. i see calvin s declined play more as a result of even more increased attention by defenses and subpar play by stafford than as a result of his contract. i dunno maybe i should be more jealous of every player that gets a contract and falls short of literally turning into superman but ill leave that to you


November 1st, 2012, 3:00 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
The Legend wrote:
im not sure where you are going with this, it would have made more sense if you had mentioned charles rogers somewhere in there. i hope mayhew doesnt panic as much as you have bc CJ dropped a difficult but catchable pass at the end of the game. the touchdowns will come if stafford can continue to find his other targets not bc m2k from lionbacker ripped megatron a new one. i see calvin s declined play more as a result of even more increased attention by defenses and subpar play by stafford than as a result of his contract. i dunno maybe i should be more jealous of every player that gets a contract and falls short of literally turning into superman but ill leave that to you


I see. So we can criticize everyone on the team but Calvin. Rip the offensive line, rip the secondary, the coach, the special teams, the running backs......pick anyone of the other 52 players and whoever on the coaching staff or front office you want and tear them up. But let's not DARE criticize his holiness, Calvin Johnson, for play that is less than what we are used to seeing from him.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 3rd, 2012, 11:49 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3574
Location: WSU
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
im not sure where you are going with this, it would have made more sense if you had mentioned charles rogers somewhere in there. i hope mayhew doesnt panic as much as you have bc CJ dropped a difficult but catchable pass at the end of the game. the touchdowns will come if stafford can continue to find his other targets not bc m2k from lionbacker ripped megatron a new one. i see calvin s declined play more as a result of even more increased attention by defenses and subpar play by stafford than as a result of his contract. i dunno maybe i should be more jealous of every player that gets a contract and falls short of literally turning into superman but ill leave that to you


I see. So we can criticize everyone on the team but Calvin. Rip the offensive line, rip the secondary, the coach, the special teams, the running backs......pick anyone of the other 52 players and whoever on the coaching staff or front office you want and tear them up. But let's not DARE criticize his holiness, Calvin Johnson, for play that is less than what we are used to seeing from him.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense.


I dont have a problem with criticizing a lack of concentration but you seem to be more concerned about the contract and less considerate of the fact that stafford has been off, teams have adjusted to the way the lions get calvin open, calvin has been injured, except for last week ancillary targets have been subpar, etc. there are many "football" related reasons for calvin s decreased production, which really isnt much of a dropoff anyway, but you are ripping the guy for a contract he absolutely deserved - a contract that any NFL GM or owner would have willingly gave Calvin


November 4th, 2012, 1:25 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9850
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
The Legend wrote:
I dont have a problem with criticizing a lack of concentration but you seem to be more concerned about the contract and less considerate of the fact that stafford has been off, teams have adjusted to the way the lions get calvin open, calvin has been injured, except for last week ancillary targets have been subpar, etc. there are many "football" related reasons for calvin s decreased production, which really isnt much of a dropoff anyway, but you are ripping the guy for a contract he absolutely deserved - a contract that any NFL GM or owner would have willingly gave Calvin


1. I have mentioned SEVERAL TIMES that Stafford is part of the issue, as well as Scott Linehan. If you haven't read that in my posts, you aren't paying attention.

2. This is a business, where the people providing services sign a contract. Just like in any business, the bigger the contracts the bigger the expectations and the more results oriented your job is. That's a truth, and a fact you CANNOT avoid or sweep to the side. I have NEVER said Calvin did not deserve his contract. NEVER! However, when a player is signed to that deal, the team is doing it with the expectations that his production and contributions will be similar or better. Calvins has not been so far this season. You can't deny that. Nobody can deny that. Injuries to your knees don't affect your hands. The knee bone is not connected to the hand bone. I played football. I played receiver. I know about how an injury can affect you. But I also know that when you are on the field, adrenaline can mask the pain sufficiently to not affect your focus. His issues in not having the same level of focus he's had in the past are not injury related. His not being able to gain separation like he's done in the past in explainable. Fine. I'll give him that. But Calvin has shown he doesn't need to be yards, or even feet away from a defender to make the play.

I have not contended that this is an issue that will remain with him either. But it is an issue right now. I you don't share that opinion, fine. There are others who feel the same way I do, so it's not just me.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 4th, 2012, 11:31 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
Stafford himself came out and said that he threw the ball too early on the attempt to calvin in the endzone

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 4th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3574
Location: WSU
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I dont have a problem with criticizing a lack of concentration but you seem to be more concerned about the contract and less considerate of the fact that stafford has been off, teams have adjusted to the way the lions get calvin open, calvin has been injured, except for last week ancillary targets have been subpar, etc. there are many "football" related reasons for calvin s decreased production, which really isnt much of a dropoff anyway, but you are ripping the guy for a contract he absolutely deserved - a contract that any NFL GM or owner would have willingly gave Calvin


1. I have mentioned SEVERAL TIMES that Stafford is part of the issue, as well as Scott Linehan. If you haven't read that in my posts, you aren't paying attention.

2. This is a business, where the people providing services sign a contract. Just like in any business, the bigger the contracts the bigger the expectations and the more results oriented your job is. That's a truth, and a fact you CANNOT avoid or sweep to the side. I have NEVER said Calvin did not deserve his contract. NEVER! However, when a player is signed to that deal, the team is doing it with the expectations that his production and contributions will be similar or better. Calvins has not been so far this season. You can't deny that. Nobody can deny that. Injuries to your knees don't affect your hands. The knee bone is not connected to the hand bone. I played football. I played receiver. I know about how an injury can affect you. But I also know that when you are on the field, adrenaline can mask the pain sufficiently to not affect your focus. His issues in not having the same level of focus he's had in the past are not injury related. His not being able to gain separation like he's done in the past in explainable. Fine. I'll give him that. But Calvin has shown he doesn't need to be yards, or even feet away from a defender to make the play.

I have not contended that this is an issue that will remain with him either. But it is an issue right now. I you don't share that opinion, fine. There are others who feel the same way I do, so it's not just me.


7-129 and another win...are you done yet?


November 4th, 2012, 5:58 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2269
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
Quote:
Johnson has been oh so close to five more touchdowns this year
Posted by ttwentyman on November 5, 2012 – 12:24 pm
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/11/0 ... this-year/

Every week Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson are made available to the media and every week, without fail, each one is asked at least once why they haven’t connected for more touchdowns.

Stafford and Johnson should just open up with their comments to the question, since they both know it will be asked soon enough.

Johnson leads the Lions with 48 catches for 767 yards, but only has one touchdown on the season. Sunday in Jacksonville, Johnson had seven catches for 129 yards and nearly had his second touchdown of the season, but was tackled at the 1-yard line following a 38-yard reception.

That scenario has been more common that you might realize.

Johnson has been tackled at or inside the 2-yard line five times this season, including four at the 1-yard line. That’s an amazing stat if you think about it. He gets in even three of those times and people probably aren’t asking the question.

Johnson’s Close Calls:
Week 1 vs. St Louis — 10 yard reception in second quarter — tackled at the 1-yard line
Week 3 at Tennessee — 9-yard reception in third quarter — tackled at the 1-yard line
Week 5 at Philadelphia — 20-yard reception in fourth quarter — tackled at 1-yard line
Week 6 at Chicago — 6-yard reception in third quarter — tackled at 2-yard line
Week 8 at Jacksonville — 38-yard reception in second quarter — tackled at 1-yard line

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 5th, 2012, 12:45 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
On top of those 5, He has Dropped 2 Easy Catches (hit hands or chest with light/no coverage) and had tillman knock it out of his Hands twice.

Without exaggerrating (and similar to last years # at this point) CJ Hold on to those 4 Balls and falls forward into endzone on those runs and hed have 10 tds.

As long as we keep winning, i dont care how many he has.


November 5th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
DJ-B wrote:
On top of those 5, He has Dropped 2 Easy Catches (hit hands or chest with light/no coverage) and had tillman knock it out of his Hands twice.

Without exaggerrating (and similar to last years # at this point) CJ Hold on to those 4 Balls and falls forward into endzone on those runs and hed have 10 tds.

As long as we keep winning, i dont care how many he has.


But why isn't he getting them? Lack of concentration? Pure poor luck?

It seemed to me that he could have extended and got the TD yesterday, but didn't get the ball out in front of him far enough. He was wandering around in the secondary a couple times with little effort at all. I don't know what his deal is, but part of his lack of production is directly his fault and falls squarely on his shoulders.


November 5th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
Oh I Agree, Im not making excuses for him, just pointing out how ridiculously close 1 TD can be to 10TDs in the game of football. This may be 1 of the most extreme examples of this in the history of the NFL to have 1 but been that close to 9 others. At minimum I would have expected 2-3 of the "tackled at 1" to go in, at least 2 if not 3 of the passes to be completed putting him around 5-7 TDs right now which combined with his yardge would have made the entire "whats wrong with CJ" discussion a moot point.


November 5th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2269
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
He can barely walk. That might have something to do with it.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 5th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
thelomasbrowns wrote:
He can barely walk. That might have something to do with it.



All season?

:-"


November 5th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.