View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 9:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Seahawks
PFT wrote:
Calvin Johnson expects to play in pain all year
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 5, 2012, 11:16 AM EST

That Calvin Johnson played well wasn’t surprising.

That Calvin Johnson played at all might be the impressive part.

After not practicing last week because of knee problems, the Lions receiver put up 129 yards in a convincing win over the Jaguars.

Johnson admitted they had to call plays with his sore left knee in mind, and that it’s something they’ll have to do the rest of the year.

“It’s probably something I’m going to have to deal with,” Johnson said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “As much running as we do, especially in this game, it’s stuff that really could take the whole season to get over with. It would be great if it can get over it before.

“It’s something that I expect to linger. You just got to stay on top of it with treatments.”

Johnson’s dealt with a number of problems this year, a finger here, an ankle there, a concussion. But the left knee is a persistent issue, and one they’ll have to work around.

Johnson met with quarterback Matt Stafford, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and position coaches prior to Sunday’s game, and told them he didn’t have a full range of motion.

“It’s tough to cut off a certain leg,” Johnson said. “He [Linehan] called the game plan around that, for the most part. It’s successful the way he did.”

The plan including a pain-killing shot before the game, and he had six catches and 111 yards at halftime

“He’s a tough guy and found a way to contribute,” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. “He’s a tough guy out there; made a lot of plays for us.

“We had a feeling he would be able to do something. Just how much he’d be able to do and how long he could go was really the question.”

Consider it answered for this week, but very much up in the air for the rest of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -all-year/

November 5th, 2012, 5:53 pm
Heisman Winner

Calvin has more catches through 8 games this year than he did last. Obviously the touchdowns are concerning but like the one post said 5 tackles within the 2 yard line.

When they are playing gunner coverage on him he isn't going to get the jump balls, but hopefully he does pick up the TD production.

November 5th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Pop Warner Vet

So was anyone commenting on how CJ was sandbagging like the taste of their foot?

November 5th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Calvin Johnson says he has been dealing with nerve damage
Posted by Mike Florio on November 8, 2012, 2:58 PM EST

If Calvin Johnson keeps talking, the Lions eventually will be making a $20,000 contribution to the Human Fund.

With four NFL teams already fined that amount this season for violating the league’s injury-reporting rules, the Lions could be in line for a similar sanction, for failing to list Johnson on the injury report due to the consequences of a hard hit he absorbed earlier this year from Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway.

Johnson previously said he suffered a concussion on the play; the team denied it. Now, via Paula Pasche of the Oakland Press, Johnson said he believes the concussion also may have caused nerve damage.

“Actually I had some nerve damage that was kind of messing up my grip a little,” Johnson said. “Not to blame that, but I think that the concussion could have had something to do with some of that damage I had going on.”

Johnson has missed plenty of practice time in recent weeks with a knee injury, but he hasn’t been disclosed this season as having a concussion or nerve damage.

Last week, Ravens coach John Harbaugh complained that players who are able to practice and play with injuries may not want their conditions to be publicized. For players like Johnson and Bills defensive end Mario Williams, the injuries are being disclosed not by the team, but by players who may be trying to explain diminished performance.

That’s why teams tell players not to talk about injuries — and it’s why the Lions could eventually find themselves getting fined for what Johnson has said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ve-damage/
Oakland Press wrote:
DETROIT LIONS: Calvin Johnson sustained nerve damage in Week 4
Published: Thursday, November 08, 2012
By PAULA PASCHE
paula.pasche@oakpress.com; Twitter: @paulapasche

ALLEN PARK — Calvin Johnson said Thursday that he had nerve damage after sustaining the concussion in the loss to the Vikings on Sept. 30.

The Detroit Lions wide receiver hasn’t been himself this season, although he looked more familiar in the win on Sunday at Jacksonville.

He’s had more drops than usual and maybe now we know why. Johnson has also been hampered by a knee injury.

“Actually I had some nerve damage that was kind of messing up my grip a little. Not to blame that, but I think that the concussion could have had something to do with some of that damage I had going on,’’ Johnson said on Thursday.

The effects still linger. He agreed it is basically like a stinger with pain shooting down his arm.

“Taking those hits, they’re real violent. They definitely have a lot of lingering impact on your neck or your head in Jahvid’s case, it can do a lot of stuff,’’ Johnson said. “It’s definitely coming back and feeling a lot better, but it’s the middle of the season.’’

He also took a hard hit in that Vikings game in the second quarter courtesy of safety Harrison Smith.

Johnson has still not caught a touchdown pass from Matthew Stafford this season. He came close on Sunday, getting to the one-yard line.

“Actually on that one I was grabbing the ball, it kind of slipped, it didn’t grab in my hands. I (wanted to) reach out across the line, but I couldn’t get a good grip on it,’’ Johnson said.

He did not say that he had trouble with the grip because of the nerve damage.
This was the first time Johnson mentioned nerve damage. It was the second time he mentioned the concussion from that game. He was tested immediately after the fourth-quarter hit by Chad Greenway for a concussion on the sideline at Ford Field. He passed and was allowed to continue playing.

Coach Jim Schwartz reiterated on Thursday that Johnson did not suffer a concussion that day.

Johnson didn’t practice again on Thursday because of his knee. He missed practice all last week and played one of his best games of the season on Sunday in the win over the Jaguars.

“It’s coming along, it’s definitely feeling better than it was at this point last week so that’s a positive,’’ Johnson said.

“Without going into too much detail, I’ve been doing a lot of stuff in the weight room to strengthen the muscle around (the knee), get it so that it’s firing correctly and I can be as best as I can be on Sunday,’’ Johnson added.

He hopes that as the knee improves, he can at some point get back to practice.

“I don’t want to not be out here practicing, I like to get a good look in practice but at the same time I do know what I need to do by Sunday,’’ Johnson said.

(Paula Pasche covers the Lions. Follow her on Twitter @PaulaPasche. Read her Lions Lowdown blog at oplions.blogspot.com.)

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... =fullstory

November 8th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Veteran General Manager

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Calvin Johnson expects to play in pain all year
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 5, 2012, 11:16 AM EST

Johnson’s dealt with a number of problems this year, a finger here, an ankle there, a concussion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -all-year/

Is the Lions method of checking for concussions thorough enough. Calvin continues to insist that he sustained a concussion in the Vikings game. Jim Schwartz continues to deny it. But, if the Lions screwed up and failed to detect the concussion and put Calvin back in the game concussed??? What are the ramifications of that? The Lions had better continue to deny that Calvin had a concussion. Especially, after the McCoy situation in Cleveland last year.

November 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
League looked into Calvin’s concussion but not his “nerve damage” — yet
Posted by Mike Florio on November 8, 2012, 7:53 PM EST

With Lions receiver Calvin Johnson previously claiming he suffered a concussion during a September 30 game against the Vikings, with the Lions denying it, and with Johnson now claiming he also suffered nerve damage, the question becomes whether the Lions could be the fifth team fined $20,000 this year for not being fully candid on the injury report.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells PFT that the league looked into the claim that Calvin suffered a concussion. To date, however, the NFL hasn’t explored whether Johnson had undisclosed nerve damage.

“We looked into it,” Aiello said via email regarding the claim by Johnson that he suffered a concussion. “Johnson had a complete sideline neuro evaluation by the team physician and passed. He was examined post game and was fine, and looked at Monday and again was fine.” (Aiello sent the same email to Anwar Richardson of Mlive.com.)

In other words, the NFL agreed with the Lions that Johnson didn’t have a concussion — even though Johnson has said on multiple occasions that he did.

As to the newly-raised issue of nerve damage, the league has yet to investigate. “Check with the Lions on that,” Aiello said. “If he hasn’t reported it to the team and isn’t being treated for it, they have no basis for putting him on the injury report.”

It’s hard to imagine Johnson not getting treatment for a condition that is affecting his grip on the ball, and it’s even harder to believe that Johnson didn’t mention the condition to the team.

Though it’s unclear whether the league will take further action, the teams already fined $20,000 each for violating the injury-reporting rules should be taking a page from the Drew Brees playbook, and asking for an explanation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... amage-yet/

November 9th, 2012, 10:16 am
Everyone can complain about it if they want to, but IMO Calvin is being a whiny bitch now that he's gotten paid. Nerve damage is "effecting my grip" what a joke... How about the balls that you didn't even get your hands on? How about the lolligagging in the secondary and taking plays off? How about the first few weeks when you weren't hurt?

IMO he's just making excuses and collecting his check.

November 9th, 2012, 4:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Everyone can complain about it if they want to, but IMO Calvin is being a whiny bitch now that he's gotten paid. Nerve damage is "effecting my grip" what a joke... How about the balls that you didn't even get your hands on? How about the lolligagging in the secondary and taking plays off? How about the first few weeks when you weren't hurt?

Once again I find your stance a little too extreme, but I was thinking the same thing after he cried concussion when the team said he didnt have one.

November 9th, 2012, 4:40 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Once again I find your stance a little too extreme, but I was thinking the same thing after he cried concussion when the team said he didnt have one.

FWIW, I'm looking at the bigger picture. I'm looking at his Mom telling him to hold out for more money, I'm looking at how he acted and his Mom acted after his back injury (his Mother is an extremely important figure in his business life), how he acted about going over the middle prior to last year, his contract year, and what he's done this year after receiving his big pay-day.

November 9th, 2012, 4:52 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

FWIW, I'm looking at the bigger picture. I'm looking at his Mom telling him to hold out for more money, I'm looking at how he acted and his Mom acted after his back injury (his Mother is an extremely important figure in his business life), how he acted about going over the middle prior to last year, his contract year, and what he's done this year after receiving his big pay-day.

well, I see a guy who played on a knee so bad that he could only run limited routes cuz he could only cut in one direction, who still caught 7 for 100+ yards, so I can't agree completely with your strong stance... but I definately agree that all this concussion and nerve damage talk makes him sound soft, and it sounds an awful lot like excuses to me too.

November 9th, 2012, 5:00 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

well, I see a guy who played on a knee so bad that he could only run limited routes cuz he could only cut in one direction, who still caught 7 for 100+ yards, so I can't agree completely with your strong stance... but I definately agree that all this concussion and nerve damage talk makes him sound soft, and it sounds an awful lot like excuses to me too.

I agree that 7 for 100 yards is a pretty good day, but the fact of the matter is CJ gets that effortlessly and he had some drops and lollygags in that performance too.

What I don't understand is, if he really is that hurt, why play him when we have a comfortable lead and Leshoure is running the ball well? I don't understand why CJ saw the field after the 1/2, unless and until Jax started coming back. It's not like we don't have other packages. Jax couldn't stop the run, we had a healthy lead, and we run best with our 2 TE set. We should have started the 1/2 with a 2TE set, ran the hell out of the ball, threw it to Titus, Pett, Scheff and Leshoure when we needed to, and brought CJ back if and/or when they got within a TD.

I think it's ridiculous that CJ saw the field at all in the 3rd Q if he really is that bad.

November 9th, 2012, 5:12 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I agree that 7 for 100 yards is a pretty good day, but the fact of the matter is CJ makes that look effortless but he had some drops and lollygags in that performance too.

What I don't understand is, if he really is that hurt, why play him when we have a comfortable lead and Leshoure is running the ball well? I don't understand why CJ saw the field after the 1/2, unless and until Jax started coming back. It's not like we don't have other packages. Jax couldn't stop the run, we had a healthy lead, and we run best with our 2 TE set. We should have started the 1/2 with a 2TE set, ran the hell out of the ball, threw it to Titus, Pett, Scheff and Leshoure when we needed to, and brought CJ back if and/or when they got within a TD.

I think it's ridiculous that CJ saw the field at all in the 3rd Q if he really is that bad.

Just needed to change a few words in your statement so that I can say I agree 100%

November 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
RIP Killer

He was on the sidelines quite a bit in the second half. Why they didn't abuse scheff, heller, and pett I have no idea. The primary sets should have been pett and heller on a 2 TE set with scheff in the slot and broyles and Titus wide. Why CJ was on as much as he was confused me. However, he was on the sidelines at least 1 of every 3 plays in the second half

CJ does need to shut up and limit the media chatter if he doesn't have officially diagnosed issues. The only benefit is for opponents like the saints, who will aim at those affected body parts (or so the league said)

November 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
conversion02 wrote:
He was on the sidelines quite a bit in the second half. Why they didn't abuse scheff, heller, and pett I have no idea. The primary sets should have been pett and heller on a 2 the set with scheff in the slot and broyles and Titus wide. Why CJ was on as much as he was confused me. However, he was on the sidelines at least 1 of every 3 plays in the second half

CJ does need to shut up and limit the media chatter if he doesn't have officially diagnosed issues. The only benefit is for opponents like the saints, who will aim at those affected body parts (or so the league said)

This right here.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

The guy has a poor first half of the season by his standards, as a result of some uncharacteristic play from himself, D's concentrating on him and some uncharacteristic play from his QB. Net result: 3rd most receiving yards in the league + countless single coverage for other receivers to take advantage of.

Only on Lionbacker is that not good enough ...

Oh and I recall hearing a lot about CJ's mum and his attitude before - along with "he'll never re-sign in Detroit". Look how right that turned out to be. So I'll take it with a huge pinch of salt.

November 10th, 2012, 6:50 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next