View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Legalised Marijuana? Detroit Passes Proposal M 
Post Legalised Marijuana? Detroit Passes Proposal M
Quote:
Prop M Passes, Will Partially Decriminalize Pot

Detroit voters passed a contentious proposal to partially decriminalize marijuana at the polls Tuesday, but it's uncertain whether city residents will legally be passing much more than that any time soon. 65 percent of voters supported Prop M and 35 percent opposed it, according to the city's unofficial election results.

The ballot measure amends a 1984 Detroit city ordinance so that it exempts adults over the age of 21 from being prosecuted for the possession of less than an ounce of marijuana on private property.

However, it is unknown how the measure will be be enforced.

In June, former Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee - who resigned last month after a sex scandal - said even if the measure passed the department might continue to enforce existing state and federal laws outlawing marijuana possession. Ahead of the election, Detroit police had no comment on how the proposal would affect policing in the city.

"The Detroit Police Department is aware of this proposal, and will be ready to address this ordinance, if it should pass," spokeswoman Sgt. Eren L. Stephens, previously told The Huffington Post. The DPD did not have any comment early Wednesday afternoon.

Prop M was backed by a group called Coalition for a Safer Detroit, which argued the measure would encourage Detroit's financially-strapped police department to focus on more serious crimes.

It took nearly two years for the proposal to appear before voters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... ef=detroit

I hate "laws" like this, where they tell the public that they can do one thing, but in actuality they can't. All this law does is stops the City from collecting funds from arrests. Under this new law Detroit police would still be able to charge people under State law, but would no longer be able to collect fines or forfeiture money from those arrests. That money will now go to the State of Michigan.

What this says to me is that 90% of the time it won't be enforced. The City doesn't want to make tons of arrests and confiscations for "free." They have enough problems. However, what troubles me is that City cops are going to use marijuana possession (especially open possession that people get comfortable with) for drug warrants, seizures on people that they suspect of higher crimes, and for warrants on unrelated issues. That is, they're going to use this "law" to avert REAL law when they feel it necessary, and they'll use it as a means to "pick on" people that piss them off. I hate that crap!

November 7th, 2012, 4:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Legalised Marijuana? Detroit Passes Proposal M
I dont understand why Medicinal MJ isn't being taxed! Our state is broke as hell and here we have a product "flying off the shelves" so to speak and the state makes a measly 100.00 bucks per person for the liscense. to me thats stupid. im all for the legalization, but dammit it is a product and SHOULD be taxed at the P.O.S. (point of sale)

November 7th, 2012, 5:01 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
I dont understand why Medicinal MJ isn't being taxed! Our state is broke as hell and here we have a product "flying off the shelves" so to speak and the state makes a measly 100.00 bucks per person for the liscense. to me thats stupid. im all for the legalization, but dammit it is a product and SHOULD be taxed at the P.O.S. (point of sale)

Well, I think it's because you can't legally "sell" medical MJ. All you can do is pay a "caretaker" the cost of he or she incurs from growing the stuff. It's supposed to be more of a reimbursement, at least in MI, but everyone knows its very lucrative.

Also, it's not "organized" like it is in California. We don't have "dispensaries" here in MI, and we're allowed to grow it "ourselves." Technically, all of the "income" derived from selling the pot is supposed to be taxed as "income," but in reality virtually everyone that does grow and sell simply opts for the tax evasion route.

November 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Well, I think it's because you can't legally "sell" medical MJ. All you can do is pay a "caretaker" the cost of he or she incurs from growing the stuff. It's supposed to be more of a reimbursement, at least in MI, but everyone knows its very lucrative.

Also, it's not "organized" like it is in California. We don't have "dispensaries" here in MI, and we're allowed to grow it "ourselves." Technically, all of the "income" derived from selling the pot is supposed to be taxed as "income," but in reality virtually everyone that does grow and sell simply opts for the tax evasion route.

exactly. Being a "caretaker" is a lot like being a waiter. They are supposed to declare their full income....but NO ONE is doing it. this needs to change. In a broke state like ours this could bring in millions. imagine having a nicely paved road in Michigan....wouldnt that be nice?

November 7th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]