View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Ricardo Silva... How can you Not root for this guy? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Ricardo Silva... How can you Not root for this guy?
Quote:
Detroit Lions safety Ricardo Silva likes new superhero nickname

By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on November 02, 2012 at 8:00 PM, updated November 02, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has a new nickname for second-year safety Ricardo Silva.

"I called him Spider-Man this morning," Cunningham said. "He's all arms and legs."

At 6-foot-3, Silva is taller and longer than any other defensive back on the team's roster, but it's not just the physical gifts that's seen him steadily climb up the depth chart. If you ask anyone in the organization, the first thing anyone mentions is the safety's dedication to his craft.

"He's up here early, stays late and is always asking questions. He's just a sponge," teammate Erik Coleman said. "That's the kind of guy you need to play safety in this league."

Silva's work ethic has brought him a long way.

After graduating from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, he went on to play for Division II Bowie State. After two years, he transferred to Hampton, where he earned first team All-MEAC honors as a senior in 2010.

Silva joined the Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2011, and after a strong preseason, he was signed to the team's practice squad. He was elevated to the main roster late in the season, playing primarily on special teams.

Silva earned a spot on Detroit's 53-man roster coming out of training camp this season, but was cut shortly after, when the team signed veteran cornerback Drayton Florence. After Silva cleared waivers, the Lions quickly added him back to the practice squad.

Earlier this season, Detroit made a stunning roster move, signing Silva off the practice squad just days before the team's game against the Minnesota Vikings and immediately thrusting him into the starting lineup.

Silva made his second start last Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, filling in for injured starter Amari Spievey. In the third quarter of the Lions' 28-24 victory, Silva intercepted his first NFL pass.

It's been an amazing ride for a player Cunningham once wanted to cut loose.

"He is one of the biggest surprises I've had in a long time as coach," Cunningham said. "He came in as a scout team guy and I was looking to replace him. Talking to Jim (Schwartz) and Martin (Mayhew), he just wouldn't have it any other way. He just kept working.

"You know, he started playing well last year in preseason, kind of caught our attention, and he's been working really hard. He knows everything there is to know about the defense. He's really played well to this point. I hope he keeps it up."

Silva said the biggest difference from the time he arrived to now is his understanding of the team's defensive scheme.

"Mentally, getting the calls right, making the checks, and being trustworthy and dependable," he said. "I've got the skill set, so I've just got to be a trustworthy and dependable guy."

Silva's work ethic comes from his brother-in-law, who taught him the motto, "Work harder than anybody you've ever seen."

Since Silva has been with the Lions, he's modeled his approach after defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, a notoriously hard-worker. Silva also credits veteran safeties John Wendling and Coleman with helping him mature on and off the field.

As for the Spider-Man nickname, Silva wouldn't mind if it stuck.

"I don't know what that's supposed to mean," Silva said. "I'll take that. I'll be a superhero."

While having super powers would be nice, Silva would be happy to continue making plays on the football field. His focus is building upon the success he's already had as he works to earn a permanent job in the starting lineup.

"My goal is to be a starter, to be successful. Every day I come in early, leave late," Silva said. "I'm going to continue to do that because that's all I know, that's all I want to do."

November 3rd, 2012, 3:08 am
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

Post Re: Ricardo Silva... How can you Not root for this guy?
Good story, and it's good to hear, BUT with Megatron and now Spider Man, I'm hoping the Lions don't become like the funny pages and end up a laughing stock!

Detroit, and the rest of us fans are DESPERATE for a Football team, not a bunch of COMICS

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 3rd, 2012, 7:54 am
All State

isn't that what they Anderson Silva?

November 8th, 2012, 3:01 pm
I'll "root" for him to succeed, but I won't start cheering for him until he starts playing solid football. The bottom line is he is still a DII UDFA and he's started games for us, which, IMO, is more of an indictment on our front office and scouting department than it is a testament to Silvas' "work ethic."

November 8th, 2012, 3:14 pm
RIP Killer

He's done pretty well when he's played, why the hate wjb? He was an undrafted small school guy who just wants a shot to be on a team. Of course he's not Ed freaking Reed. He's a prospect, a project. I'm sure more than one team would love to have him on the PS. But with guys like delmas and speivey hurting, he has a shot and he's made the most out of it, doing better than expected. You can't plan for 2/3 of your DBs getting hurt.

November 8th, 2012, 3:33 pm
conversion02 wrote:
He's done pretty well when he's played, why the hate wjb? He was an undrafted small school guy who just wants a shot to be on a team. Of course he's not Ed freaking Reed. He's a prospect, a project. I'm sure more than one team would love to have him on the PS. But with guys like delmas and speivey hurting, he has a shot and he's made the most out of it, doing better than expected. You can't plan for 2/3 of your DBs getting hurt.

I have no hate for Silva, at all, but I don't think he could make the roster on 1/2 the teams in the NFL. Hell, I can more or less prove it... He sat on our PS for weeks.

To go into your season, coming off of a playoff year, with ONE healthy, legitimate DB is ridiculous. Delmas is injury prone, Spivey isn't good, and our depth sucks.

We drafted two guys late, and fans jumped up and down talking about how Bently was under-rated, he may be able to be our #2 and Green (our 6th round pick, mind you) may be able to be our nickel, but that talk was TOTALLY RIDICULOUS and one-sided, blind, homer garbage. We heard how Jacob Lacy was upgraded depth and about how Drayton Florence was a solid capable vet, both wrong, IMO.

The bottom line is, Mayhew failed to provide an upgrade for us at DB THIS YEAR, a year when, IMO, we HAD to continue to show signs of improvement and step up to the point where we not only beat the crappy teams that we were supposed to beat, but also to the point where we beat good teams and stayed competitive in every game. I don't think we did that.

I think we drafted "for the future" if you can call it that. I think our offseason FA acquisitions were a joke, and I think Mayhew did the same damn thing with our Rbs as he did with our Dbs, sat on his hands and did nothing. Mayhew literally came out and said that he was relying on Best to get better and Leshoure to carry the load, that's ridiculous and irresponsible, IMO.

November 8th, 2012, 3:45 pm
RIP Killer

We all knew safety would be an issue. However, they planned on speivey staying healthy and playing well. He played decent until he got hurt. Coleman is healthy and has played well when he's on, but has also looked awful - very inconsistent. Wending, I believe they expected more out of him. Everyone was healthy but delmas, so that's just simply untrue for you to say that. Yes they need a safety, but they also needed OL, CB, and it now looks like they needed a WR (which I said was a very good pick at the time). Also, safeties are extremely hard to scout, unlike a CB. So mid round safeties are a complete crapshoot.

November 8th, 2012, 6:11 pm
conversion02 wrote:
We all knew safety would be an issue. However, they planned on speivey staying healthy and playing well. He played decent until he got hurt. Coleman is healthy and has played well when he's on, but has also looked awful - very inconsistent. Wending, I believe they expected more out of him. Everyone was healthy but delmas, so that's just simply untrue for you to say that. Yes they need a safety, but they also needed OL, CB, and it now looks like they needed a WR (which I said was a very good pick at the time). Also, safeties are extremely hard to scout, unlike a CB. So mid round safeties are a complete crapshoot.

Nothing I said was untrue. We came into the season with ONE healthy, legitimate starter in our secondary, Allen Houston. Everyone else sucks or is injury prone, period.

I wanted us to look at Trumaine Johnson in the draft, and Tracy Porter in FA. I thought Johnson would have been a better pick than Broyles, he's playing pretty good for the Rams (he had a great day against Calvin), he was a candidate to play CB or move to S, and we could have drafted a WR later (I was an advocate for drafting Keyshawn Martin later in the draft, which I think would have been a much better decision). Settling for Jacob Lacy and Drayton Florence was a joke.

November 8th, 2012, 6:30 pm
RIP Killer

Who the hell is Allen Houston? In the secondary, I count chris Houston, drayton Florence, bill Bentley, jacob lacey, jonte green, Louis delmas (injury concerns and started season hurt), amari speivey, Eric Coleman, and John wenlding. Only delmas had any injury issues.

This isn't a discussion on the second round pick, it's a discussion on what DB's were healthy to start the season, which you don't seem to remember. I'm not arguing that mayhem should have paid more attention to the secondary (especially after the end of last season), I think everyone on the board was clamoring for a first or second round DB.

November 8th, 2012, 6:39 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Who the hell is Allen Houston? In the secondary, I count chris Houston, drayton Florence, bill Bentley, jacob lacey, jonte green, Louis delmas (injury concerns and started season hurt), amari speivey, Eric Coleman, and John wenlding. Only delmas had any injury issues.

This isn't a discussion on the second round pick, it's a discussion on what DB's were healthy to start the season, which you don't seem to remember. I'm not arguing that mayhem should have paid more attention to the secondary (especially after the end of last season), I think everyone on the board was clamoring for a first or second round DB.

You know exactly who I was talking about, be a condescending prick if you'd like.

This is a discussion of CAPABLE STARTERS & who is healthy/injury prone.

Chris Houston was and still is the only non-injury prone, capable starter we have, period.

November 8th, 2012, 6:44 pm
League MVP

dont forget fellas that aaron berry s downfall came well after the draft and he was projected to be a starting CB. Lacey was brought on strictly to be a slot DB with Smith or one of the draft picks as the No 4. The draft picks of Bentley, Green and Greenwood were brought on to be development type guys so that we could avoid paying big for Houston when he s a FA after the season and not have to use more than one early draft pick on a CB this draft.

Now, what we have seen is that Lacey isnt good enough to cover No 1 or No 2 WRs but still is reasonable in the slot. Bentley looked like a quality pick, probably was on track to get more of an early return than expected on him. Green for a 6th round pick is doing everything except for making the play on the ball. He seems to be one of those guys that is doing everything right in coverage except for his ball skills - turning around locatiing the ball and knocking it down or taking a pick. sometimes those guys never take the next step but its better than if he was just letting guys run open freely. his bigger problem is how awful he was as the contain guy on kickoffs. greenwood of course we re getting nothing from yet but thats a separate issue and they probably should have developed him more at the expense of wasted roster spots of kellem moore or stefan logan.

at safety, its tough bc part of the blame is on the med staff with delmas' knees. they should know the chances of him being healthy for the start of the season or not - it appears mayhew thought he d have delmas but the advice was wrong. spievey when he s playing with delmas is a viable starting option. coleman isnt great but sean jones who seemed like a reasonable signing was a total bust in the preseason.

the point is mayhew did what he could within the boundaries of his vision and the cap but some things you just cant foresee into the future. injuries hurt the team, so do arrests and suspensions. with the salary cap there is no way to immunize the team from the effects of such things. in any event the secondary hasnt been much of a problem. even without a great pass rush they have held up well except for the titans game and in that game the bigger problem was the sp teams, the pettigrew strip and total idiocy on raiola

November 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

You know exactly who I was talking about, be a condescending prick if you'd like.

Chris Houston was and still is the only non-injury prone, capable starter we have, period.

reminded me of another with the same description who said something pretty stupid about bayonettes and horses

November 8th, 2012, 7:10 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Keep the name calling up and you'll get a timeout. Nobody called you any names so don't start your crap like usual.

This discussion started off about silva and the safeties, then you spun it into a mayhew bitch session about the entire secondary. How about just keep the topic, you know, on topic. About Silva's play

November 8th, 2012, 8:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

Allen Houston used to play for the Pistons. LOL.

November 8th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]