View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:45 pm



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where does the Republican Party go from here? 
Author Message
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2714
Post Where does the Republican Party go from here?
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.


November 8th, 2012, 12:45 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12149
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Blueskies wrote:
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.
Would be a good start. They need to start courting people other than old, rich white guys and the 'religious right' crowd. Whether they like it or not, the country's demographics are changing, they can either adapt or get swept to the side. Sadly though, if the trend continues we'll see more of the same old same old ](*,)

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 8th, 2012, 9:29 am
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2799
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Yeah, they just need to soften the lines on the social issues. Most of the republican party has already accepted that, it's just the party itself that continues to push those. We understand we can disagree and still leave them as an option. If you can remove the social issues from the table, it becomes a fiscal argument between the two sides and that's much easier to sway people with.


November 8th, 2012, 11:17 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9499
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
The Republican platform is so last century (and a few decades back into it).

As in most things in life, you start with the simple solution and go from there. First, Republicans need to scratch their entire policy platform and start again. Where do they start - easy with a long-term strategy. What seems to to be the most simple strategy?

The GOP needs to begin to embrace one or more of the growing population segments and run with it. There will still need to be somewhat of a fine line as you simply don't want to throw away your current entire base.

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, however, my initial thoughts would be to go after the hispanic vote. Why? Simple (and I love simple)...

1) they are, by far, the fastest growing voting demographic (and very young in general)
2) they are a deeply religeous group in general, this is common ground with the GOP's evangelical base now
3) they are heavily populated in the GOP's southern stronghold, again common ground
4) you are beginning to see a lot of interacial mixing between whites and hispanics, future common ground
5) this is a group ripe to align with whose allegiance can be swung

The GOP platform needs to be inclusive of issues important to hispanics and they need to begin to cultivate strong young hispanic GOP leaders. Believe me, hispanics will vote heavily for hispanic candidates (they are also culturally conservative by nature, another big factor).

The economy is by far the most important issue to this group (48%), immigration is only 6% but I think the Reps really need to take a different stance here. Dems are really winning here on healthcare and education, this needs to be turned around.

IMO the GOP needs to fully embrace this group to have any future.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 8th, 2012, 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Blueskies wrote:
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.


I said before that I thought Rubio should have been the VP nominee. I think the Republicans made a HUGE mistake in selecting Ryan. I do like his budget, but the main reason they selected him was they thought he could deliver Wisconsin, period. I think Robio COULD have delivered FL and more of the Hispanic vote.

It maddens me to hear people say that the Reps need to "soften their stance on immigration" to get elected. "Self deportation" is literally doing NOTHING. It's more or less creating an environment that more or less suggests they leave, if they want to, while Obama has deported more immigrants than any other president before him. That's why I say that the biggest problem is the media. How do you compete with that? It's an utter lie that Romney is harder on immigration than Obama, but NO ONE reports it other than Fox News, and they get shut down with one word "LIES!" although its the truth!


November 8th, 2012, 4:49 pm
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
TheRealWags wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.
Would be a good start. They need to start courting people other than old, rich white guys and the 'religious right' crowd. Whether they like it or not, the country's demographics are changing, they can either adapt or get swept to the side. Sadly though, if the trend continues we'll see more of the same old same old ](*,)



The maddening thing is how racist this country is becoming. Reverse discrimination is alive and well. When the words "white" are factored into the equation as if they are bad, SOMETHING is wrong.


November 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Pablo wrote:
The Republican platform is so last century (and a few decades back into it).

As in most things in life, you start with the simple solution and go from there. First, Republicans need to scratch their entire policy platform and start again. Where do they start - easy with a long-term strategy. What seems to to be the most simple strategy?

The GOP needs to begin to embrace one or more of the growing population segments and run with it. There will still need to be somewhat of a fine line as you simply don't want to throw away your current entire base.

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, however, my initial thoughts would be to go after the hispanic vote. Why? Simple (and I love simple)...

1) they are, by far, the fastest growing voting demographic (and very young in general)
2) they are a deeply religeous group in general, this is common ground with the GOP's evangelical base now
3) they are heavily populated in the GOP's southern stronghold, again common ground
4) you are beginning to see a lot of interacial mixing between whites and hispanics, future common ground
5) this is a group ripe to align with whose allegiance can be swung

The GOP platform needs to be inclusive of issues important to hispanics and they need to begin to cultivate strong young hispanic GOP leaders. Believe me, hispanics will vote heavily for hispanic candidates (they are also culturally conservative by nature, another big factor).

The economy is by far the most important issue to this group (48%), immigration is only 6% but I think the Reps really need to take a different stance here. Dems are really winning here on healthcare and education, this needs to be turned around.

IMO the GOP needs to fully embrace this group to have any future.


Like Regan said, "Hispanics are really Republicans, they just don't know it yet." They are religious, hard working, they hate taxes, they're against expansive government, etc. They ARE Conservative! Issue by issue they're Conservative Republicans, hands down.

And again, just like Wags, you're citing RACIST reasons for justifying a candidate. It's disgusting.


November 8th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12149
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.
Would be a good start. They need to start courting people other than old, rich white guys and the 'religious right' crowd. Whether they like it or not, the country's demographics are changing, they can either adapt or get swept to the side. Sadly though, if the trend continues we'll see more of the same old same old ](*,)



The maddening thing is how racist this country is becoming. Reverse discrimination is alive and well. When the words "white" are factored into the equation as if they are bad, SOMETHING is wrong.
First off, there is NO such thing as 'Reverse Racism', there is ONLY racism.
And would you care to provide examples of where you feel you're being discriminated against?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 8th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Profile
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
What do you guys think? Lock and reload and sell the same message in 2014 and 2016? Or try to change the tent?

The Republicans have a number of rising stars: Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio all come to mind. Chris Christie could also factor in, but many party bosses are likely angry at him for obvious reasons. Then, there are other governors like Jindal and Scott Walker.

I think Hillary will pose an extremely formidable challenge. She's worked hard to soften her image -- always her weakness-- over the last four years, growing out her hair and allowing herself to be filmed dancing and goofing off. With the Secretary of State portion on her resume, she can say she's a qualified foreign policy expert. Since she won't be in Obama's cabinet this time, and wasn't part of his domestic team, she'll say she's an economic moderate like her husband.

I think the Republicans best chance would be to soften the immigration stance and run Rubio.
Would be a good start. They need to start courting people other than old, rich white guys and the 'religious right' crowd. Whether they like it or not, the country's demographics are changing, they can either adapt or get swept to the side. Sadly though, if the trend continues we'll see more of the same old same old ](*,)



The maddening thing is how racist this country is becoming. Reverse discrimination is alive and well. When the words "white" are factored into the equation as if they are bad, SOMETHING is wrong.
First off, there is NO such thing as 'Reverse Racism', there is ONLY racism.
And would you care to provide examples of where you feel you're being discriminated against?


Reverse discrimination happens all the time. I was discriminated against in getting into UofM law school. You either have to be a minority or perfect to get in there, but of the two, you're better off being a minority!

Both you and Pablo are suggesting that the Republican party stop nominating white people to run for president, both of you have said so repeatedly.

Job hires, promotions, etc. you're better off being a minority. It's not the "best candidate for the job," it's the best minority for the job, unless he's completely over-shadowed by a white male, unless of course he's too over-shadowed, then he's over-qualified...


November 8th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12149
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Reverse discrimination happens all the time. I was discriminated against in getting into UofM law school. You either have to be a minority or perfect to get in there, but of the two, you're better off being a minority!

Both you and Pablo are suggesting that the Republican party stop nominating white people to run for president, both of you have said so repeatedly.

Job hires, promotions, etc. you're better off being a minority. It's not the "best candidate for the job," it's the best minority for the job, unless he's completely over-shadowed by a white male, unless of course he's too over-shadowed, then he's over-qualified...
What you're describing sounds like 'affirmative action' stuff, and this is, IMO, racism.

I'm not going to speak for Pablo, but what I am saying is that the Republican Party needs to work for the votes of more people than their typical 'rich white' folks. They need to be more inclusive. No where did I say who they need to nominate.

Look back to 2004. The Dems lost big, they thought they had no chance of losing against Bush and did. This time the roles were reversed. The Reps thought they could just put someone on the ticket and win no matter what. Well guess what? They were wrong. They need to refocus. If they continue the same rhetoric they've been using the past 4 years, they'll likely be in the same situation in 2016. They are missing a real leader in the Party, perhaps Jeb Bush can fill that role now.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 8th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9499
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Reverse discrimination happens all the time. I was discriminated against in getting into UofM law school. You either have to be a minority or perfect to get in there, but of the two, you're better off being a minority!


Ditto, if I had been Hispanic I'd have gone to UofM instead of MSU (I guess it still worked in my favor in the end). I sat next to a kid in my Spanish class in high school (Gary Vargas, nice kid) who got into UofM with a lower GPA and ACT than me (and I was involved in more school programs including varsity sports and clubs).

When my wife (who is hispanic) asked me if we wanted our kids to check the "caucasian" or "hispanic" box I told her without hesitation that our boys are hispanic.

In Texas, we have the top 10% rule - you get automatic admission to all state-funded universities. Don't think this favors minorities - just take a look at what has happened to enrollment since it was enacted as Texas now has the largest # of Hispanic and Black students at 4-year public universities. I can tell you that students in the burbs who work their butts off getting good grades and great test scores can't get into the school of their choice in many cases.

As a white male you do not have any protection until age 40 (age descrimination comes into play at 40) - every other group has discrimination protection on some level. As an employer, if a decision is roughly 50/50 - I'm not going with the white male.

Just sayin...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 8th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Reverse discrimination happens all the time. I was discriminated against in getting into UofM law school. You either have to be a minority or perfect to get in there, but of the two, you're better off being a minority!


Ditto, if I had been Hispanic I'd have gone to UofM instead of MSU (I guess it still worked in my favor in the end). I sat next to a kid in my Spanish class in high school (Gary Vargas, nice kid) who got into UofM with a lower GPA and ACT than me (and I was involved in more school programs including varsity sports and clubs).

When my wife (who is hispanic) asked me if we wanted our kids to check the "caucasian" or "hispanic" box I told her without hesitation that our boys are hispanic.

In Texas, we have the top 10% rule - you get automatic admission to all state-funded universities. Don't think this favors minorities - just take a look at what has happened to enrollment since it was enacted as Texas now has the largest # of Hispanic and Black students at 4-year public universities. I can tell you that students in the burbs who work their butts off getting good grades and great test scores can't get into the school of their choice in many cases.

As a white male you do not have any protection until age 40 (age descrimination comes into play at 40) - every other group has discrimination protection on some level. As an employer, if a decision is roughly 50/50 - I'm not going with the white male.

Just sayin...


All I can say is, I appreciate your honesty. I think most do the exact same, but aren't strong enough to admit it.


November 8th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2714
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
I think Wag's point was by calling it "reverse discrimination" you're implicitly buying into the idea that only whites can discriminate against others.

Are preferential admission standards BS? Yes, and they should be done away with.

But, at the same time, I'm a white guy that got into Michigan undergrad. There were lots of white guys on campus. I had a few white guy friends go on to top law schools -- Michigan, Northwestern and even Harvard (he's a Jew, but I don't think they get preferential treatment in higher education). If you can't get into these schools, your resume just wasn't good enough. No excuses, play like a champion. And anyway, the cream rises to the top eventually: I know a multimillionaire lawyer that went to Cooley.

But, back on topic, I too think Hispanics should be the targeted group. Many of them are entrepreneurial as well, a key component of the Republican base.

Still, you gotta drop the hostility towards immigrants. Even if they are legal citizens (they have to be to vote) I'm sure they don't want their uncle/cousin/whoever getting deported.

If I was leading the party, I would try to actually leapfrog the Democrats and introduce more extreme versions of immigration reform. And then, as you said, work to build up more younger Hispanic Republican leaders.


November 9th, 2012, 12:38 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12149
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
Blueskies wrote:
I think Wag's point was by calling it "reverse discrimination" you're implicitly buying into the idea that only whites can discriminate against others.
This; thanks for putting more succinctly that I could have.

Unfortunately racism is alive and well in the US and we must do what we can to overcome it. I too have seen its ugly head up close and personal. In my instance it was in my benefit that I'm white while the others were Hispanic. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that if I were not white, I likely would have had an unflattering set of 'bracelets'
to wear for a bit, though because "I don't look like the others" (not my words) everything was ok. Was I lucky? You betcha, was it right? Hell no!

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 9th, 2012, 9:40 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12149
Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
In an attempt to get back on topic:
Quote:
Condoleezza Rice: GOP sent 'mixed messages'
Nov. 9 7:50 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says the Republican Party must adapt better to rapidly changing demographics in the United States, saying the GOP sent "mixed messages" in the election campaign on immigration and women's issues.

Rice tells "CBS This Morning" the changing face of America "really necessitates" new thinking. She says, quote, "When you send mixed messages, sometimes people hear only one side of that." Rice says the GOP came close to matching the Democrats in the popular vote. But she also acknowledges that "clearly we are losing important segments" of the electorate. Rice adds that the party needs to "appeal to those groups."

Rice says she wouldn't be interested in succeeding Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of state, even if asked to do so by President Barack Obama.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/condolee ... d-messages

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 9th, 2012, 11:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.