View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Personally, I wanted the Lions to take Broyles....but not in the second round. I thought they could have gotten him later, perhaps the fourth round. That may have been too late, and he could have been off the board by then. But with CJ, Nate and TY clearly being well ahead of him, I thought it was too early. It's worked in the Lions favor, given the injuries. But that doesn't mean it was a smart move at the time. With our offensive line facing some serious turnover in the next two to three seasons, I think it would have been wiser to take Konz in round two.

As for teams averaging less than one starter in the first round of a draft.....I really don't care. The Lions had enough holes and lack of talent, despite their record last season, that they could have gotten talent upgrades who likely would have started either immediately, or soon after the start of the season. Bentley was a day one starter, but that was more by default than a result of his outstanding talent. Personally, I preferred Jayron Hosely anyways.

I am not giving up on Schwartz and Mayhew when it comes to the draft. I just think that they need to be a little more cerebral with their selections, rather than seeing a "bargain" level of talent at a particular selection and going with it. There's a reason why other teams have passed on that player. Titus Young is proving himself to be an unreliable receiver on the field, and an A-1 douchebag off the field. Someone in the organization needs to slap the taste out of his mouth, and I hope that someone will be a healthy Louis Delmas.

Lions really missed the mark on Young. They could have taken Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb. Maybe they will start paying more attention to character.

No Cobb sucks, just ask Conversion... :Rolling:

November 13th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Team MVP

Someone actually thinks Cobb sucks? Bet he doesnt suck on Sunday.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 13th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TY has a ton of talent--if he can ever get it together mentally, he'll be a great player.

November 14th, 2012, 10:07 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thelomasbrowns wrote:
TY has a ton of talent--if he can ever get it together mentally, he'll be a great player.

I wonder if there are pliers big enough to firmly grab his head from betwixt his buttocks.

November 14th, 2012, 11:51 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
As for teams averaging less than one starter in the first round of a draft.....I really don't care. The Lions had enough holes and lack of talent, despite their record last season, that they could have gotten talent upgrades who likely would have started either immediately, or soon after the start of the season.

Don't get me wrong--I see many of the same areas that need improvement as you. Unfortunately, no team is able to plug all of its holes in the draft. It's an inconvenient truth.

If you were disappointed in draft, it might be because you were expecting the impossible. Sure, I'd LIKE to get 2-3 immediate starters in the next draft but I'd also like to win the Powerball jackpot. If you're expecting 2 new immediate starters from the 2013 draft, you'll likely be disappointed again.

November 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm
mwill2 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
As for teams averaging less than one starter in the first round of a draft.....I really don't care. The Lions had enough holes and lack of talent, despite their record last season, that they could have gotten talent upgrades who likely would have started either immediately, or soon after the start of the season.

Don't get me wrong--I see many of the same areas that need improvement as you. Unfortunately, no team is able to plug all of its holes in the draft. It's an inconvenient truth.

If you were disappointed in draft, it might be because you were expecting the impossible. Sure, I'd LIKE to get 2-3 immediate starters in the next draft but I'd also like to win the Powerball jackpot. If you're expecting 2 new immediate starters from the 2013 draft, you'll likely be disappointed again.

Between the draft and FA there were adequate pieces available to really do a good job plugging holes. Tracy Porter would have been HUGE on this team, and may be better than Chris Houston. He would undoubtedly be our #2. Michael Bush would have been a welcome addition of talent and leadership in the backfield, and DeCastro would have been a day 1 starter, replacing Peterman, who has been horrible this year. In the 2nd round Trumain Johnson would have been a great nickel/S prospect, and great depth at DB. He did an amazing job on CJ in WEEK 1!

Call it how you want, but Mayhew really, really screwed up last offseason. We had a real chance to plug holes NOW and be a better team NOW and make a REAL playoff run for two consecutive years. We could have had our pick of FAs last year, certainly more so than Denver and Chicago, who looked like playoff outsiders before last years offseason, but now we're right back to 6-10 - 8-8, missing the playoffs and outside of the realm of "go to" destinations for FAs. Worse yet, we lost our "momentum" as an "up and coming team," and we've more or less reverted to the "same ole Lions," and it seems as if even our players know it.

November 14th, 2012, 2:49 pm
kdsberman wrote:

It was in response to me stating that we didn't have that great of a draft, that I would rather have Cobb than Titus, that I see Cobb having more the ability to play #2 when compared to Titus.

conversion02 wrote:
Youre nuts, Cobb a #2. Lol. You really think your #4/5 wr is a #2? I guess 2 catches a game means he's a stud. Driver is slow and old. He barely gets open anymore. he barely had #3 numbers last season

Let me know when Finley plays 16 games. Finley has looked real good this year, but pett has had a 700+ yard season under his belt. I'd call it a toss up

conversion02 wrote:
Driver isn't even worth $2M per year. Cobb, maybe $1-1.5M. His type is a dime a dozen.

Oh, and why doesn't Finley figure into that at $7M per year?

I stand by my assertions.

November 14th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Biggest need....definetly more depth

November 15th, 2012, 3:36 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The biggest need is Safety and it is by a large margin.

November 18th, 2012, 12:05 am
Team MVP

Stallion wrote:
The biggest need is Safety and it is by a large margin.

Agreed! ESPECIALLY with Spieveys concussion issues now, not that he was any good before.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

November 18th, 2012, 6:43 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

It was in response to me stating that we didn't have that great of a draft, that I would rather have Cobb than Titus, that I see Cobb having more the ability to play #2 when compared to Titus.

conversion02 wrote:
Youre nuts, Cobb a #2. Lol. You really think your #4/5 wr is a #2? I guess 2 catches a game means he's a stud. Driver is slow and old. He barely gets open anymore. he barely had #3 numbers last season

Let me know when Finley plays 16 games. Finley has looked real good this year, but pett has had a 700+ yard season under his belt. I'd call it a toss up

conversion02 wrote:
Driver isn't even worth $2M per year. Cobb, maybe $1-1.5M. His type is a dime a dozen.

Oh, and why doesn't Finley figure into that at $7M per year?

I stand by my assertions.

Really, you babbling about how someone else thinks someone sucks? Now isn't that ironic?

Yes, I do think Cobb is a dime a dozen receiver and he's not even one of the top 3 WRs on the team (Jennings, Nelson, Finley). The only reason Cobb has 59 targets this year is because the top 2 are hurt. Sure, the guy is playing good football, but Rodgers can make any average reciever look good in that offense - ANY. You really think he would get 8 targets a game when Nelson and Jennings are healthy?

So take whatever you want out of my comment, since you misinterpret everything anyway. I don't know where kdsberman got that I thought he sucked. Don't believe I ever said that. I believe I said receivers of his type are a dime a dozen.

November 18th, 2012, 9:06 am
Team MVP

Conversion- I wasnt saying that you DIRECTLY said he sucked, i simply was shocked that "someone" said he sucked.

Last edited by kdsberman on November 18th, 2012, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2012, 8:13 pm
QB Coach

Spivey's career is in jeopardy with his concussions, and even if healthy he isn't the answer at safety. Delmas can't stay healthy either. We're gonna need 2 safeties and at least 1 corner, most likely 2. Along with at least 1 LB and maybe 2. Then add to that G, C, RT and DE.

November 18th, 2012, 8:54 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Spivey's career is in jeopardy with his concussions, and even if healthy he isn't the answer at safety. Delmas can't stay healthy either. We're gonna need 2 safeties and at least 1 corner, most likely 2. Along with at least 1 LB and maybe 2. Then add to that G, C, RT and DE.

We NEED a safety...at least one. Delmas isn't done yet, but the Lions need to consider getting at least a developmental safety with skills as his backup for when he does fall apart. In the meantime, they have to address the spot next to Delmas, and they HAVE to get someone with ballhawk skills for that spot. A corner would be nice too, but I don't see the Lions getting a top one in FA or burning high picks on a safety and corner in the upcoming draft. I really would have liked to see Chris Greenwood in action this year. Jonte Green needs to take a BIG step in his development next year. Bentley could be good, but strictly as a #2 corner or nickel guy.

As for linebackers, we still have to see what we have with Travis Lewis and Tahir Whitehead. Tulloch is locked in, so we don't really need to worry about that. I'd like to see the Lions re-sign Justin Durant. I think he's our best LB by far. Tulloch is too one dimensional, and he isn't even that good in that regards. I see him miss gaps and get juked too often for my liking. But he's better than having Levy in the middle. Levy is having a decent year, and I see the Lions trying to keep him as well. I don't know if another LB through the draft would be something we need.

We definitely need a guard and center. We could have had one of them, but instead took Broyles. So be it. We have to hope that a good one falls to us in the middle rounds, because I don't see the Lions picking one high. We have no need for a RT or DE. Why would you say we need that. Cherilus has actually played pretty well, and I think everyone knows I wanted him gone this season. He's surprised me, and I am willing to give him his due credit. As for DE....you have to be kidding me. We have Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis, in addition to KVB likely playing again next season. With Avril gone next year (I am assuming the Lions will not offer him a contract that his ego will accept) it opens up all sorts of money to be able to bring back Lawrence Jackson (at a reasonable price) and maybe get someone else in FA as depth. Personally, I thought Everette Brown (?) played well for us in the pre-season, and wouldn't mind seeing the Lions bring him back in if he's available. I don't know if he signed with another team, but I was impressed with his ability to get to the QB.

All in all, safety is our single biggest need, by far, on this team. We do NOT need a running back, as some have said, to replace Jahvid Best. We can find speed backs who can catch all day long in FA or the draft, and it doesn't have to be in the first two rounds. LeShoure, Bell and whomever can handle the duties next season quite well, I think. Interior offensive linemen is our next biggest need. If the Lions are in position to get a quality safety in round one, and a good guard/center in round two, it will be a solid draft.

November 19th, 2012, 11:12 am
QB Coach

Durant and Levy both being FA OLB is a need. I think we'll re-sign at least one of them, but until we know, it'll be a need. I don't know if either of our drafted backers will be ready to step in next year and I don't know if I want to see them forced into action a la Zack Follett, until they are ready.

We don't need a RT? Gosder is a free agent. If we don't re-sign him who do we have? Nobody is under contract for next year. S for DE, Avril is a free agent, so is Jackson. Young is a RFA so he should be around and hopefully we can sign him to a multi year deal. KVB's salary is huge next year so who knows if he'll be here. So that leaves us with 3 DEs under contract for sure next season. So yes, we will need someone else in that spot.

I never said we had to draft these positions in the first round or two. Obviously with all those holes it'd be impossible to. But until we re-sign our own guys or go out and get new ones, those are all the spots we'll need to fill for next year.

Lions 2013 Free Agents:
S Louis Delmas, S Erik Coleman, DE Cliff Avril, DE Lawrence Jackson, RT Gosder Cherilus, RT Corey Hilliard, G Dylan Gandy, LB Justin Durant, LB DeAndre Levy, LB Ashlee Palmer, CB Chris Houston, CB Drayton Florence, CB Jacob Lacey, K Jason Hanson, P Nick Harris, RB Kevin Smith, DT Corey Williams, DT Sammie Hill

Restricted Free Agents: DE Willie Young, OT Jason Fox, S Ricardo Silva, S Amari Spivey, RB Joique Bell,

November 19th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next