View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 1:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Burleson Breaks Leg 
Post Re: Burleson Breaks Leg
Like I said, this offense is BETTER without Nate!!!

I don't get why people were so concerned about "how we are going to replace him," when he was averaging something like 3.5 yards per catch. Dood is horrible, and its time for him to hit the road.

November 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I don't get why people were so concerned about "how we are going to replace him," when he was averaging something like 3.5 yards per catch. Dood is horrible, and its time for him to hit the road.

Why is that? cuz Titus's 2 TD drops are better than Nates? Sorry this offense isnt better cuz Nates gone...it's better cuz Stafford looked better. I'm all for seeing Nate take a paycut or go, but i dont think it's anywhere NEAR fair to say the offense is better without him at this point. Broyles looks pretty good, but IMO he's surpased Titus, not Titus surpassing Nate.

November 5th, 2012, 4:31 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Why is that? cuz Titus's 2 TD drops are better than Nates? Sorry this offense isnt better cuz Nates gone...it's better cuz Stafford looked better. I'm all for seeing Nate take a paycut or go, but i dont think it's anywhere NEAR fair to say the offense is better without him at this point. Broyles looks pretty good, but IMO he's surpased Titus, not Titus surpassing Nate.

The offense is better without Nate because Titus is more of a deep threat. Look at what Titus has done with the #2 spot, and compare it to what Nate has done with the #2 spot. Also, it IS taking pressure off of CJ, which is opening him up. It's not "chance" that CJ is getting more open with Titus out there as our #2. Like I said last year, we were playing the wrong guy at #2 and #3. Playing Titus in the slot was limiting his deep routes, and Nate can't run a deep route, he's too slow.

November 5th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Titus had 1 good game. 2 catches with a TD drop this week. anyone more worried about him than nate at this point is dreaming. Tuitus COULD be somethign if he gets his head out of his rear, but so far if he beats the D deep. he'll drop it. Has EVERY time so far this year.

For the sake of the teams futur I'd love to agree with you, but sadly i think your letting your biased paint a picture that isn't there.....yet (hopefully)

November 5th, 2012, 5:17 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
Titus had 1 good game. 2 catches with a TD drop this week. anyone more worried about him than nate at this point is dreaming. Tuitus COULD be somethign if he gets his head out of his rear, but so far if he beats the D deep. he'll drop it. Has EVERY time so far this year.

For the sake of the teams futur I'd love to agree with you, but sadly i think your letting your biased paint a picture that isn't there.....yet (hopefully)

How can you say that?

Titus has more yards per catch, more yards after the catch, more TDs, more receptions, and more yards and has only played TWO GAMES at the #2 spot. His FIRST game as a #2 he came out and won the damn game for us when Calvin was underperforming. Nate would NOT have been able to make that first long TD catches, and Nate would not have even been able to be IN POSITION to make that catch. He's too old and too slow, period.

Then, one week later Jacksonville notices what Titus did, doesn't let it happen to him, shifts coverage to him, opens up the running game and opens up CJ, and you're complaining???

Get real... If anyone is biased here, it's you...

November 5th, 2012, 5:23 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

How can you say that?

Titus has more yards per catch, more yards after the catch, more TDs, more receptions, and more yards and has only played TWO GAMES at the #2 spot. His FIRST game as a #2 he came out and won the damn game for us when Calvin was underperforming. Nate would NOT have been able to make that first long TD catches, and Nate would not have even been able to be IN POSITION to make that catch. He's too old and too slow, period.

Then, one week later Jacksonville notices what Titus did, doesn't let it happen to him, shifts coverage to him, opens up the running game and opens up CJ, and you're complaining???

Get real... If anyone is biased here, it's you...

um ...what biased would you be refering to? and what complaint other than the fact that titus drops the deep ball every chance he has at one? (and even you can't dispute that)

How awsome is it that a guy plays 2 1/2 more games and has one whole catch more? yeah he's tons better ](*,)

i'm sorry. Titus has yet to impress this year. I was excited after last year but it appears that his head ex[ploded in the offeason and he is no where near what he could be...and i just dont see him being any more than a latteral move at this point. is there potential for him to be better than Nate? of course...but we're not seeing it yet.

November 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Modmin Dude

This is part of the reason I'm a Nate fan
PFT wrote:
Nate Burleson is happy for the players who may push him out of a job
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 8, 2012, 6:34 AM EST

In the two weeks since Lions receiver Nate Burleson was lost for the season with a broken leg, a couple of young receivers — Titus Young and Ryan Broyles — have played well in his absence. And that raises an uncomfortable fact for the 31-year-old Burleson: When the Lions have two receivers who are younger, cheaper and healthier than him who are doing his job in his absence, the Lions may decide after the season that they don’t need Burleson at all.

But if Burleson is worried about getting cut next offseason, he’s not showing it. Instead, Burleson is saying he’s happy for Young and Broyles.

“I’m happy for the young guys,” Burleson told the team’s website. “They are in a good position. I told them me being injured is a great time for those guys to solidify themselves as great receivers. Just being realistic, that’s what the game is about. It’s about stepping up when people go down.”

Burleson said that by supporting Young and Broyles, he’s doing for them what a veteran receiver did for him when he was a 23-year-old on the 2004 Vikings.

“Me and Marcus Robinson were battling for the [spot] opposite Randy Moss and I remember him telling me, ‘I’m not going to knock you and I’m not going to pull you down. I’ll always be there,’” Burleson said. “I thought to myself, ‘If he can do that, I’m never going to cheat the game and be a selfish [player]. I’m always going to give the guys the tools they need even if it puts me in a position that makes me uncomfortable.’”

Burleson has two more seasons on the five-year, $25 million contract he signed with the Lions in 2010, but he knows that in the NFL, injured players on the wrong side of 30 often don’t make it to the end of their contracts. Especially when the team has younger players available.

“With them balling out completely, it could leave me the odd man out,” Burleson said. “That’s just a reality of the game. Once I heal up, I’m going to come back at a high level and if my spot is secure on this team then I’m going to continue to do what I do and lead. If not, hopefully, I prepped the young guys to be in a position where they can easily take my place.”

And so Burleson will continue to be a good teammate and help Young and Broyles in any way he can. Even if he’s helping them push him out of a job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -of-a-job/

November 8th, 2012, 10:25 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pretty classy guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 8th, 2012, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

What Nate said is respectable but wjb has a point. the goal here is for titus young and ryan broyles to claim the No 2 and No 3 spot. Im not convinced Titus has done so yet but Broyles is very polished for a rookie and is one of the better No 3s around. He may even become the No 2 eventually but he s just very smart getting open on quick routes or finding the opening in a zone which makes him an ideal No 3. i believe young has more deep speed so he d be the ideal no 2 if he can maintain any level of focus or control over his own emotions. finally mike thomas at 1.5 mill/yr is younger and cheaper than burleson and gives you the possession wr abilities as well as probably can do a better job on punt returns than logan. barring 2 career ending injuries to any of the top 4 wr i think its true that nate will be done in detroit. never mind the fact that a tibial plateau fracture (fracture enterring the cartilage surface of the knee) itself has a good chance to be a career ender for nate himself.

November 8th, 2012, 7:19 pm
The Legend wrote:
What Nate said is respectable but wjb has a point. the goal here is for titus young and ryan broyles to claim the No 2 and No 3 spot. Im not convinced Titus has done so yet but Broyles is very polished for a rookie and is one of the better No 3s around. He may even become the No 2 eventually but he s just very smart getting open on quick routes or finding the opening in a zone which makes him an ideal No 3. i believe young has more deep speed so he d be the ideal no 2 if he can maintain any level of focus or control over his own emotions. finally mike thomas at 1.5 mill/yr is younger and cheaper than burleson and gives you the possession wr abilities as well as probably can do a better job on punt returns than logan. barring 2 career ending injuries to any of the top 4 wr i think its true that nate will be done in detroit. never mind the fact that a tibial plateau fracture (fracture enterring the cartilage surface of the knee) itself has a good chance to be a career ender for nate himself.

The bitch is, now that we've reworked his contract, it's going to COST us money to cut him next year. If we would have cut him without reworking his contract we could have saved around $2.5 million dollars last year. Now next year he's going to be a cap hit if we get rid of him... Mayhew did a HORRIBLE job last offseason. The Cliff Avril blunder and the Nate B blunder, not to mention the RB debacle and DB debacle cost us this season. I liked him up until last year, but he really, really screwed the pooch last year, and more people than me should be pissed about it.

I'm not saying fire the guy, but we need to stop looking at the guy as if he's on some pedestal, and this "In Mayhew We Trust" crap has to stop.

November 9th, 2012, 4:10 pm
RIP Killer

How is restructuring him last year a blunder? Is it his fault that Lewand presented a contract like the one Nate signed? Mayhew went out and got a good possession WR when few still wanted to come here. He overpaid like he and millen did for any player that's come here. It's not a "blunder" that he restructured, it helped out mayhew and Lewand after years of being raped by millen and years of picking top 10 draft picks that cost 10 times what they should have. The fact is, they needed the cap space last year AND this year, so the restructuring helped.

I don't see who's putting the guy on a pedestal. Just a classy statement by a guy who sees the reality and that the writing is on the wall.

November 9th, 2012, 5:07 pm
conversion02 wrote:
How is restructuring him last year a blunder? Is it his fault that Lewand presented a contract like the one Nate signed? Mayhew went out and got a good possession WR when few still wanted to come here. He overpaid like he and millen did for any player that's come here. It's not a "blunder" that he restructured, it helped out mayhew and Lewand after years of being raped by millen and years of picking top 10 draft picks that cost 10 times what they should have. The fact is, they needed the cap space last year AND this year, so the restructuring helped.

I don't see who's putting the guy on a pedestal. Just a classy statement by a guy who sees the reality and that the writing is on the wall.

Restructuring him last year was a blunder, because we could have cut him and saved $2.5-3.5 million dollars, now its going to COST us cap space if we want to cut him next year, because of the restructure. IMO Titus should have already passed Nate on the depth chart, and bringing Nate back did nothing for this team. The offense has opened up and gotten BETTER since Nate has left, and CJ has been more productive with another deep threat on the field.

In Re Pedestal: That comment was directed toward Mayhew, not Nate, but people do over-value Nate's contribution to this team.

November 14th, 2012, 3:10 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Restructuring him last year was a blunder, because we could have cut him and saved $2.5-3.5 million dollars, now its going to COST us cap space if we want to cut him next year, because of the restructure. IMO Titus should have already passed Nate on the depth chart, and bringing Nate back did nothing for this team. The offense has opened up and gotten BETTER since Nate has left, and CJ has been more productive with another deep threat on the field.

In Re Pedestal: That comment was directed toward Mayhew, not Nate, but people do over-value Nate's contribution to this team.

I agree that Titus SHOULD be passing nate on depth chart, but he simply hasnt yet. I dont know how you can hold CJ to such a high level of accountability, then give Titus a pass for basicaly terrible play. you keep calling him a deep threat, but when was the last time he actually CAUGHT a deep pass. not to mention that since the game Nate went down Titus has been this side of terrible. he's caught what? 4 passes in the last 2 weeks? 5?

I simply do not understand how you can say thats better than Nate. I also dont understand how you can say the offense has been better since NAtes been out. With the exception of Jax (which even you said cant be used as an example cuz they're so terrible) the O looks like the same old crap to me. awful in the 1st half, moderate in the 3rd quarter, and All pro in the 4th. what has changed that you see that I don't?

Long stiory short....I do not understand your love for a mediocre Titus and flat out HATE for CJ and NB.

November 14th, 2012, 4:31 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I agree that Titus SHOULD be passing nate on depth chart, but he simply hasnt yet. I dont know how you can hold CJ to such a high level of accountability, then give Titus a pass for basicaly terrible play. you keep calling him a deep threat, but when was the last time he actually CAUGHT a deep pass. not to mention that since the game Nate went down Titus has been this side of terrible. he's caught what? 4 passes in the last 2 weeks? 5?

I simply do not understand how you can say thats better than Nate. I also dont understand how you can say the offense has been better since NAtes been out. With the exception of Jax (which even you said cant be used as an example cuz they're so terrible) the O looks like the same old crap to me. awful in the 1st half, moderate in the 3rd quarter, and All pro in the 4th. what has changed that you see that I don't?

Long stiory short....I do not understand your love for a mediocre Titus and flat out HATE for CJ and NB.

Are you serious? Titus has two 46 yard catch THIS YEAR. One of them was for a game winning TD in Seattle. The other was in week 3.

in 2011 Titus had catches of 43, 41, 49, 57 yards in weeks 1, 8, 13, and 14, respectively.

Nate's longest catch this year? 26 yards, and I'm the one losing credibility? In Nate's entire 2011 campaign, he had ONE CATCH over 40 yards, ONE!

The only reason Titus didn't pass Nate on the depth chart last year was due to the Lions valuing old, aging washed up vets way, WAY too much.

November 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm

i just dont hget it...You hate on CJ for playing the first 4 games poorly, but Titus has 1 good game and he's good?

Pett sucks cuz her can't catch the dang ball, but titus gets a pass? I know you too well to asssume you've forgotten about the rediculously easy TD and 1st down drops he has.

You pan on the guys for not being consistant, haze the coaches due to lack of discapline, yet STILL praise Titus.

please explain. I dont understand. He's inconsistant, undiscaplined, and showed little to no growth this year. (notice how im not praising Nate...as I tend to agree. but PLEASE explain to me the Titus love.)

November 14th, 2012, 5:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next