View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 9:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Torii Hunter signs two-year deal with Detroit Tigers 
RIP Killer

Post Torii Hunter signs two-year deal with Detroit Tigers
LA Times wrote:
Torii Hunter signs two-year deal with Detroit Tigers

You can now officially refer to Angels outfielder Torii Hunter as former Angels outfielder Torii Hunter.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations says free agent outfielder Hunter has agreed to a two-year deal with the Detroit Tigers.

The person, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because no announcement has been made, says the deal is pending a physical.

So, it looks like the Angels outfield next season will consist of Mark Trumbo, Mike Trout and Peter Bourjos, unless Vernon Wells suddenly becomes a good player again.

As Times Angels reporter Mike DiGiovanna wrote Tuesday, when predicting Hunter would end up with the Tigers,

"Detroit is looking for a corner outfielder, preferably one who hits right-handed, and Hunter is a nine-time Gold Glove Award winner coming off one of his finest seasons, in which he hit .313 with 16 home runs and 92 runs batted in and carried the Angels for much of September.

"Hunter, who hit second between Mike Trout and Albert Pujols last season, would fit nicely in the Tigers’ two hole behind leadoff man Austin Jackson and ahead of Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez, who is expected back in 2013 after missing 2012 because of injury.

"Hunter is very familiar with the AL Central, having played his first nine seasons with the Minnesota Twins, and as an added bonus, Detroit is only a 3 1/2-hour drive from South Bend, Ind., where Hunter’s son, Torii Jr., a high school football and baseball star in Texas, will enroll at Notre Dame next fall."

Rumor is 2 years, $26M

November 14th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Post Re: Torii Hunter signs two-year deal with Detroit Tigers
Good signing. But like always im sure SOMEONE has something negative to say about.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 14th, 2012, 5:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I guess this takes us out of the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes. LOL.

Good signing. On a side note: I wish the Tigers had done a trade with the Marlins for Reyes, who the Marlins just gave away to Toronto. How good would our Infield have looked with Fielder @ 1st, Infante @2nd, Reyes @ SS, and Cabrera @3rd? That would have been impressive.

November 14th, 2012, 6:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I like the signing. Could ve gone after Upton in a trade or Hamilton for more money but certainly couldnt feel confident going with any of the guys on the current roster. .285/.351./.448/(.799 OPS) and I think is still considered a plus defender makes him and a hopefully healthy VMart a huge upgrade over Young and Boesch. Two better hitters and a better defender - cant be anything but happy about this. Not sure how much more money is left to spend this year but I like this approach a lot better than the approach they took early last offseason. Sounds like Ilitch still wants to go after Sanchez - Im not sure its worth the $90 million that Sanchez wants but he s a good pitcher and that would maybe let them deal Porcello/Castellanos and who knows what else in a package for a SS like Castro or Andrus.

November 14th, 2012, 10:28 pm
RIP Killer

Upton would have cost castellanos, porcello, and more. Not worth it. Hunter gives them time to get castellanos and Garcia ready.

This is a great signing. Excellent defender, a top of the order bat, a great team guy who wants to win, a great mentor to the non-Hispanics, and an above average hitter, with v-mart, this is the best 1-5 in the game.

November 14th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Co2 - I agree with you.

The outfield defense is quite a bit upgraded if you have Dirks LF, Jackson CF, Hunter RF. Maybe Berry or Boesch starts out as the 4th OF early in the year but it ll probably become Garcia at some point, platooning with Dirks and then maybe taking over for Hunter when he s done. Subtracting Young, Raburn and a lot of Boesch's playing time from the defense out there is a huge plus not to mention their inconsistent bats.

I feel like Castellanos has a good chance to get moved in a trade. His greatest value is probably at 3B which I dont think is going to happen here. If he could net us one of the big young SS, I think DD will act on it. Sure they could keep Castellanos in the OF and eventually have Castellanos, Jackson, Garcia with Dirks as the 4th OF but I think good SS are more scarce and there is no plan for what happens when Peralta's contract expires. Heck with the way MLB 3B have been, Peralta good be a good trade piece for someone looking to have a 3B. If Sanchez gets signed then i really feel like Porcello/Castellanos is part of a blockbuster trade for either Castro or Andrus. Peralta could be shipped to a 3rd team and maybe some players like Boesch, Villareal, Luis Marte get thrown in as extra pieces.

November 15th, 2012, 8:26 am
RIP Killer

Agree 100% with the trade possibilities and I would love to see them get Castro or Andrus, even if it meant castellanos. Garcia has a cannon and would be a great RFer. Plus, RFers with average speed that hit re,outlet well are the most common type of player out there. A SS that hits .280 with good range is extremely hard to find.

Plus, porcello is not a good fit here. Even with a top notch SS, I don't like him here. His trade value is worth more than what he brings. He'd be a perfect fit in SF.

November 15th, 2012, 5:26 pm
I love the signing. Hunter is a high character guy, at a position of need with speed and good defense, that hits for average, and is a great ball player, and we did it without handcuffing us for the 3rd year, PERFECT!

I really do wish we could deal Prince, Bring up Castellanos to play 3rd (I think Cast can be a great 3rd baseman), move Miggy back to 1st where he belongs, and get a new SS. Then we would be a complete team, and a damn good one. That said, we're not likely going to be able to move Prince with his huge contract, and with the fan-fair surrounding bringing him here it's not likely that Dombrowski would do it anyhow. Still, I think it would be the right move at the end of the day.

November 15th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Prince sells tickets. Baseball is a business after all, prince is going nowhere.

November 15th, 2012, 8:04 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
BillySims wrote:
I guess this takes us out of the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes. LOL.

Would we even be able to afford Hamilton?

I like this signing a lot.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 19th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It's baseball, you can buy whoever the hell you want. Depends on how much money the owner wants to make at the year end. Big market, bigger payroll. That's why KC will never be able to compete regularly. Excellent farm, but never many stars. They have their Gordon's, grienke's, butler's, etc, but they will never have a Prince, Miggy, Verlander, etc. they won't and can't afford that big of name players.

November 19th, 2012, 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]