View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 12:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Packers I 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Packers I
about as disappointing of a game as there could be. hard for me to sum it up but Green Bay was giving this game away. It was far from there best effort and the Lions still couldnt take it.

Coaching: I cant take it anymore with Linehan. I think there are some good plays in the system but when you are up 3 and have the ball with a goal to go situation and a chance to go up 2 scores with less than 5 minutes you have to throw at least one in the end zone to Calvin. You just have to or else why is Calvin on the team? I understand the 1st down run even though I didnt like it but then why run again on 2nd? The Lions had a chance to put them away right there but Linehan took that chance away. It looked like Young drew enough contact to at least get a d holding but I dont expect him to get many calls. They were effective at times with the run but it makes me sick when the Lions get 2 or 3 positive gains running it and then go to an empty formation. Its just so stupid. I know Broyles got a big gain in a situation like that but Linehan isnt even bothering to play the chess game with opposing coordinators anymore.

Offense: Calvin and Scheffler dropping too many. Pettigrew and Young also with a pair of drops but this game was lost by the QB. I knew the game was in doubt on the first series when he missed a wide open Scheffler in the middle of the field. GB had decent coverage much of the game but Stafford isnt seeing the field real well - on the pick 6 play Johnson had room to make a play had it been thrown to him and on the what I ve been calling intentional INT he had a deeper route open as well. I dont understand why he rolls into a ball at his own goalline or takes sacks in goal to go plays where he is already out of the pocket. Not impressed by his performance today.

Defense: what more can you ask of them? They are playing with only 1 starter in the secondary against a great passing team. They lost Finley in coverage twice in big situations, missed too many tackles, and made a pathetic play on the lob game winning TD to Cobb. How an NFL player let alone 2 of them cant break up that pass is beyond me. Still they gave up 17 points not counting the pick 6 against them. Rodgers is going to make people look bad at times but overall the defense did there part.

Special Teams: Is there any reason that Stefan Logan is on this team? I cant think of any. Find someone who can fair catch every punt and cut this washed up clown.

November 18th, 2012, 7:37 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
It's the same old stuff week after week. We can't ever play a complete game and we always have just enough breakdowns to lose. That last drive was pathetic. We only needed a FG to win and we throw 4 incompletes. We will not be able to compete with the big boys until we get better coaching and become a consistent team. And I'll say it again something is wrong with Stafford. He is way off target on 80 percent of his throws. He had Scheffler ALL DAY and he kept missing him. Same with CJ on two plays that would have been TDs. Yeah he got hit on one of them so I'll take a little blame off.

Agree with comment about competing with the big boys, but think we need better players and coaching.

November 18th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Team MVP

I didnt get to watch enough of the game to make a legitimate response to the game (only watched the first half and followed it on my phone in the treestand). But what I can confirm in my opinion is that this team is still short on talent in a few areas. The safety position is still evident that its a weakness. We cant seem to make the stops when the game is on the line.

I think we need to look heavily into the defensive department this next April. Manti Te'o, Bjoern Werner, CJ Mosely...etc. Theyd all look good in honolulu blue.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 18th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Heisman Winner

im not giving up yet but close

we won 5 in a row last year so anything is possible, obviously the 5 we need this year will be vs tougher opponents and with more pressure involved but it could happen.

I do think 9-7 gets a wild card, but we have slim chance

November 18th, 2012, 8:31 pm

kdsberman wrote:
I didnt get to watch enough of the game to make a legitimate response to the game (only watched the first half and followed it on my phone in the treestand). But what I can confirm in my opinion is that this team is still short on talent in a few areas. The safety position is still evident that its a weakness. We cant seem to make the stops when the game is on the line.

I think we need to look heavily into the defensive department this next April. Manti Te'o, Bjoern Werner, CJ Mosely...etc. Theyd all look good in honolulu blue.

i think its hard to watch that game and think that the defense was the problem

November 18th, 2012, 9:52 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Well I dont recall the offense or ST allowing Rodgers to drive his offense down the field effortlessly with minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 18th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

The defensive backs on that Cobb TD were pretty pathetic.

November 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

If it's not one thing, it's another. This team is baffling to me, especially the offense. Heads will roll after the season but i'm not convinced that will do any good.

November 18th, 2012, 10:35 pm

kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Well I dont recall the offense or ST allowing Rodgers to drive his offense down the field effortlessly with minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

while your statement is true it is pretty shortsighted. stafford and the wr s were off all game, accuracy, timing, hands, etc. the rbs continue to get good blocking but make little to nothing off of it. leshoure hesitates through a big hole, settles for running out of bounds. even when they do get gains running the ball, linehan eliminates any benefit that would have to the receiving game by going to an empty backfield formation.

the defense held up in big situations - they forced field goals, they made a big stop on 4th down, they got the ball back for us twice in the 4th quarter with a chance to make it a 2 score game. now, they did give up the go ahead td on a pathetic throw by rodgers but stafford has 2 minutes, 2 timeouts and only needs about 45 yards to give hanson a shot at the win. 4 incomplete passes and -5 yards is not what you expect in that situation yet it wasnt at all surprising given how the offense played this game.

November 18th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Someone on this forum said Linehan will offered up as the sacrificial lamb at the end of the season. I agree 100%. Probably some ST staff as well.

That said, I don't know if it's really Linehan's fault. He was the coach last year, too. He's been in the league a very long time. But, with that much talent committed to the offensive side of the ball, you gotta expect more.

November 18th, 2012, 11:56 pm
RIP Killer

It's entirely linehan's fault. The play calling is so predictable it's outrageous. And running on first and second down at the end when he simply had to move the sticks? Jefferson ripped him a new one right after that.

Now, stafford has to hit wide open receivers (he misses CJ on two TD bombs) and the receivers have to catch the ball. But, this loss is all on stafford IMO. He missed so many throws in clutch spots you'd think he was a 5th round rookie. He made, what, 4 tough throws all game? He thread the needle regularly last year. This year, he's threading picks and throws that are 2-3 yards behind guys. There was one drive where he threw 2 balls that were 10 yards from the nearest guy...and he wasn't just trying to throw it away either.

Now, is it the offense? Is it to advanced and they can't get the right timing? I doubt it. Stafford certainly isn't seeing the field well, for whatever reason. He's missing wide open guys, holding throws too long (a near pick to Titus on the sidelines on a long third down), taking sacks, throwing what appears to be the wrong route at least a couple times a game...

November 19th, 2012, 12:17 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Linehan was the OC last year too you know. The year Stafford threw 5k+ yards and CJ had all those TD receptions. How does it just stop working one day?

There's something else there. We will probably never know what it is. Maybe it's just bad luck. Maybe not.

November 19th, 2012, 12:19 am
Varsity Captain

Aside from our secondary being scrubs, I think it shows how tied we were in the offseason by finances. April's deal and cap money really hurt us. At least Cliff has been worth the franchise tag. :roll:
What's really going to hurt is the raping Houston is going to give us just 4 days from this heartbreaker.

November 19th, 2012, 12:34 am

Blueskies wrote:
Someone on this forum said Linehan will offered up as the sacrificial lamb at the end of the season. I agree 100%. Probably some ST staff as well.

That said, I don't know if it's really Linehan's fault. He was the coach last year, too. He's been in the league a very long time. But, with that much talent committed to the offensive side of the ball, you gotta expect more.

i agree i dont think its all linehan s fault but i do think some of it is his fault. certainly he has to hold some of the blame for stafford s lackluster play and then also the playcalling is a problem. some people think there is not a RB problem but this team is 9-12 since jahvid best last played, could be the underlying issue - they ve had some success running it this year but nobody is fooled when joique bell, leshoure or kevin smith is lined up wide in an empty set. when that player is jahvid best it draws some attention. best can create a lot of mismatches catching it out of the backfield but most Lbers can cover leshoure. looking back at linehan s minnesota days he seemed to love the speed back in Michael Bennett. maybe the lions do need to find another weapon to diversify this predictable offense.

November 19th, 2012, 12:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Blueskies wrote:
Linehan was the OC last year too you know. The year Stafford threw 5k+ yards and CJ had all those TD receptions. How does it just stop working one day?

There's something else there. We will probably never know what it is. Maybe it's just bad luck. Maybe not.

Kind of like how daunte and moss were a decade ago. If the defense makes Linehan have to adjust, he poop the bed. Everywhere he goes he runs his same bull for one season too long. His philosophy is "Take what the defense gives us" but his offenses almost never impose their will on the game like good teams do.

November 19th, 2012, 12:39 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next