View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 12:54 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Titus Young Sent Home... 
Author Message
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3203
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Titus Young was actually someone I wanted us to draft and predicted we would, but I didn't know what a knucklehead he was. It was based on the talent I saw on game day. As of right now, I'd rather have taken LeShoure at 44 and hung on to our 3,4 and 5th (Hawks used it for Richard Sherman and the 5th we got from them was Doug Hogue) round picks which could have become some pretty good players. Or we could have gone with Torrey Smith.

I think he gets one more shot to prove he gets it and then he's gone. He's talented and inexpensive enough that someone would trade a draft pick for him.


November 20th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9866
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
couple of things....

Titus Young has plenty of talent, but he is falling into that "million dollar body, ten cent brain" category right now. He needs KVB or someone to just stomp the sh!t out of him or something to wake him up. He has talent, but not T.O. or Ochocinco level of talent, so his attitude is writing some bad checks right now. I don't see the Lions giving up on him right now, but this off-season will be huge for him in regards to his approach to the game and the team. He's on a short leash. As for the drafting of him, most of us were a bit surprised when he was selected, but mostly because they took a receiver, not because of his being a reach. He was ranked pretty high among receivers, and went just about where most projected him to go. In Mayhew/Schwartz' defense, he did have two solid years at Boise without incident, so his recent behavior may have been difficult to foresee. We have no idea what he interviewed like and how well the Boise coaching staff talked him up. All I know is, he seemed to get a big head after the end of last season. Someone need to pop that ballooned ego of his.

As for LeShoure and Fairley, I think we need to give LeShoure a bit more time before we pass judgement on him. You simply don't bounce back from an Achille's tear in just a year. He may be playing, and may claim to be 100%, but I guarantee you he is not. The idea that we NEED a speed back is foolish, I think. Having one would be nice, but I don't think the offense needs one. As for Fairley, he's been coming on as of late, but I still don't think he's that impressive of a player. I'd say he's no better than Sammie Hill at this point. Difference is, Fairley gets more playing time because of how much he's paid.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 21st, 2012, 12:47 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
m2karateman wrote:
Fairley


Speaking of Fairley, thank GOD he didnt slam Rodgers into the ground..

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 21st, 2012, 6:02 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Fairley


Speaking of Fairley, thank GOD he didnt slam Rodgers into the ground..

LOL, I think it frustrated Rodgers more that he didn't slam him

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 21st, 2012, 6:45 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 965
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Tell you what though, had it been Jay Cutler, I would have been happy to take the 15 yards. Someone should break that dude's neck.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


November 21st, 2012, 7:58 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Tell you what though, had it been Jay Cutler, I would have been happy to take the 15 yards. Someone should break that dude's neck.

indeed

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 22nd, 2012, 3:31 am
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Tell you what though, had it been Jay Cutler, I would have been happy to take the 15 yards. Someone should break that dude's neck.


Don't get me wrong, I think Cutler is a complete douche, but I don't wish injury on anyone.


November 22nd, 2012, 9:57 am
Profile
Online
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3805
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Hystrix wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Tell you what though, had it been Jay Cutler, I would have been happy to take the 15 yards. Someone should break that dude's neck.


Don't get me wrong, I think Cutler is a complete douche, but I don't wish injury on anyone.


Wishing injuries is bad mojo!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


November 22nd, 2012, 12:28 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Tell you what though, had it been Jay Cutler, I would have been happy to take the 15 yards. Someone should break that dude's neck.


Don't get me wrong, I think Cutler is a complete douche, but I don't wish injury on anyone.


Wishing injuries is bad mojo!


Agree.


November 22nd, 2012, 2:17 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 965
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
You are all better men than I. I have no care for that guy.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


November 22nd, 2012, 10:58 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9866
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Let's get back on topic.

I hope that Titus Young is crapping his pants right about now. Ryan Broyles played a damn fine game, and deserves the opportunity to continue as our second receiver. While he may not have the speed of Young, he runs disciplined routes and finds ways to get open. He has reliable hands (so far) and runs well with the ball. I am hoping that Schwartz sticks by his statement and forces Titus to work his way back into the starting lineup, instead of just giving it back to him. Personally, I'd like to see TY remain inactive for the foreseeable future.....or at least one more game.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 23rd, 2012, 12:00 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: WSU
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
m2karateman wrote:
couple of things....

Titus Young has plenty of talent, but he is falling into that "million dollar body, ten cent brain" category right now. He needs KVB or someone to just stomp the sh!t out of him or something to wake him up. He has talent, but not T.O. or Ochocinco level of talent, so his attitude is writing some bad checks right now. I don't see the Lions giving up on him right now, but this off-season will be huge for him in regards to his approach to the game and the team. He's on a short leash. As for the drafting of him, most of us were a bit surprised when he was selected, but mostly because they took a receiver, not because of his being a reach. He was ranked pretty high among receivers, and went just about where most projected him to go. In Mayhew/Schwartz' defense, he did have two solid years at Boise without incident, so his recent behavior may have been difficult to foresee. We have no idea what he interviewed like and how well the Boise coaching staff talked him up. All I know is, he seemed to get a big head after the end of last season. Someone need to pop that ballooned ego of his.

As for LeShoure and Fairley, I think we need to give LeShoure a bit more time before we pass judgement on him. You simply don't bounce back from an Achille's tear in just a year. He may be playing, and may claim to be 100%, but I guarantee you he is not. The idea that we NEED a speed back is foolish, I think. Having one would be nice, but I don't think the offense needs one. As for Fairley, he's been coming on as of late, but I still don't think he's that impressive of a player. I'd say he's no better than Sammie Hill at this point. Difference is, Fairley gets more playing time because of how much he's paid.


I think its time to cut ties with Titus. Let him come back for the last 2-3 games and then deal him in March for a 6th or 7th round pick, thats about all we can expect at this point. There s enough talent here at wideout with Calvin, Broyles, Thomas that they could use that 6th or 7th rounder to find someone with some return skills and to be at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Fairley is playing much better than Sammie Hill. Hill had a decent game or two in the beginning of the season but is not having a good season, he was far better a year ago and its not just bc of playing time bc he seems to be actually getting more since Williams has been out. Fairley is making plays, I d like to see him a little more consistent from play to play as to me it still looks like he s not in great condition.

I dont understand the ongoing Avril bashing. He s holding the edge on the outside runs much better than in the past, he s not getting burned by the naked boots or reverses the way that KVB does he s basically improved his all around game and is still getting to the passer. He has 7.5 sacks, so if you think he s overpaid just wait til he hits FA bc another team will give him close to that $10mill/year and definitely more than 3 years. Finally, what exactly have Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson done this year. LoJack had his best game yesterday but outside of a blocked kick where has he been? Willie Young just hasnt been very good this year, he drew a holding penatly last week that was big - outside of that not much from Willie. So if you just let Avril walk then you really lose a lot on that DL. KVB isnt the same, he s still giving the effort he s just not as good. To me this season has shown that the Lions need to keep that DL core intact. We dont see a lot of talent in that secondary but they ve held up somehow. I wonder why? The problem though is that they also definitely need to keep Chris Houston and he s going to be high priced as well, probably $7-8 mill per year I would think. And then you have Durant and Levy as FA. Mayhew s going to need to make some room either with creative contracts or by letting some guys like KVB, Burleson, Backus, Peterman, Corey Williams walk. Backus, Williams, Burleson have their replacements on the roster already. KVB and Peterman dont, DE will require a high draft pick but replacing Peterman shouldnt be as difficult.

As for Leshoure - you are right, he will be better next year. Im not saying get rid of him but him and Bell are pretty similar. Smith I think has better vision than either of them but doesnt scare D Coordinators much either. Those guys would be a very good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runner. The Lions though need a dynamic runner and they need it desperately - especially the way they ve been calling plays.


November 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
m2karateman wrote:
Let's get back on topic.

I hope that Titus Young is crapping his pants right about now. Ryan Broyles played a damn fine game, and deserves the opportunity to continue as our second receiver. While he may not have the speed of Young, he runs disciplined routes and finds ways to get open. He has reliable hands (so far) and runs well with the ball. I am hoping that Schwartz sticks by his statement and forces Titus to work his way back into the starting lineup, instead of just giving it back to him. Personally, I'd like to see TY remain inactive for the foreseeable future.....or at least one more game.


I agree with you. I hope Schwartz rides with "hot hand" and stays with Broyles as our #2 WR. As a rookie, Id say Broyles has earned it more than Titus in his second year. Something I noticed about Broyles is that it seemed they felt they had to work to cover him. I didnt see the same with Titus, which is all on him. And I think thats what really helped the passing game yesterday.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 23rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9866
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
The Legend wrote:
I think its time to cut ties with Titus. Let him come back for the last 2-3 games and then deal him in March for a 6th or 7th round pick, thats about all we can expect at this point. There s enough talent here at wideout with Calvin, Broyles, Thomas that they could use that 6th or 7th rounder to find someone with some return skills and to be at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Fairley is playing much better than Sammie Hill. Hill had a decent game or two in the beginning of the season but is not having a good season, he was far better a year ago and its not just bc of playing time bc he seems to be actually getting more since Williams has been out. Fairley is making plays, I d like to see him a little more consistent from play to play as to me it still looks like he s not in great condition.

I dont understand the ongoing Avril bashing. He s holding the edge on the outside runs much better than in the past, he s not getting burned by the naked boots or reverses the way that KVB does he s basically improved his all around game and is still getting to the passer. He has 7.5 sacks, so if you think he s overpaid just wait til he hits FA bc another team will give him close to that $10mill/year and definitely more than 3 years. Finally, what exactly have Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson done this year. LoJack had his best game yesterday but outside of a blocked kick where has he been? Willie Young just hasnt been very good this year, he drew a holding penatly last week that was big - outside of that not much from Willie. So if you just let Avril walk then you really lose a lot on that DL. KVB isnt the same, he s still giving the effort he s just not as good. To me this season has shown that the Lions need to keep that DL core intact. We dont see a lot of talent in that secondary but they ve held up somehow. I wonder why? The problem though is that they also definitely need to keep Chris Houston and he s going to be high priced as well, probably $7-8 mill per year I would think. And then you have Durant and Levy as FA. Mayhew s going to need to make some room either with creative contracts or by letting some guys like KVB, Burleson, Backus, Peterman, Corey Williams walk. Backus, Williams, Burleson have their replacements on the roster already. KVB and Peterman dont, DE will require a high draft pick but replacing Peterman shouldnt be as difficult.

As for Leshoure - you are right, he will be better next year. Im not saying get rid of him but him and Bell are pretty similar. Smith I think has better vision than either of them but doesnt scare D Coordinators much either. Those guys would be a very good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runner. The Lions though need a dynamic runner and they need it desperately - especially the way they ve been calling plays.


It'd be nice if the Lions admitted their mistake with TY and did exactly what you say, but I don't see it happening. I think Mayhew is too proud to admit that mistake, and will simply leave on the coaches to fix.

As for Avril....he's not worth $10M per year, and if you think he is, you're crazy. I don't care if another team is willing to pay him that. Great! Let them do exactly that and weaken their roster in the process by limiting their ability to land other players. Avril is not consistent enough to be paid top dollar at his position, period. While you don't get the Avril bashing, I don't get the Avril love. He's not worth the money, and that's the simple truth. Were he being paid around $6-7M per season, I'd be OK with that. Even at $8M, I'd not gripe too much. But anything over that is stupid.

I don't see Chris Houston demanding that much in the market, and if he does, once again just let him go. He's the Lions best corner, by far, but not the NFLs best corner. If we could sign him for around $5-6M per season, I'd be OK with that. Durant needs to be re-signed. He is a bigger impact player for this defense than Levy. It's not even close. We have three other guys on this roster that can play the Will, and I think any of them in his place wouldn't be too much of a step down from Levy.

I think Bell and LeShoure have good vision. They find creases and get through them fairly well. Neither has the great explosion I'd like to see, but a speed back doesn't always have that either. As I said, a speed back is a nice to have, but not necessarily a need to have. Plenty of teams do very well without a speed demon in their RB stable. I'd rather see the Lions dedicate resources to the offensive lines improvement.

I am anxious to see what the Lions plan with Bill Nagy. Will he replace Peterman? Will he allow the Lions to part with Raiola? Or do they think he's simply not ready to start? Personally, I think the guy is good enough to start inside for us next year, which means we could get another interior OL in the draft and hopefully be set. As long as the Lions don't overpay for Gosder. If they allow him to walk, let's hope Jason Fox is ready to step in. He looked pretty good in pre-season.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 23rd, 2012, 3:46 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: WSU
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I think its time to cut ties with Titus. Let him come back for the last 2-3 games and then deal him in March for a 6th or 7th round pick, thats about all we can expect at this point. There s enough talent here at wideout with Calvin, Broyles, Thomas that they could use that 6th or 7th rounder to find someone with some return skills and to be at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Fairley is playing much better than Sammie Hill. Hill had a decent game or two in the beginning of the season but is not having a good season, he was far better a year ago and its not just bc of playing time bc he seems to be actually getting more since Williams has been out. Fairley is making plays, I d like to see him a little more consistent from play to play as to me it still looks like he s not in great condition.

I dont understand the ongoing Avril bashing. He s holding the edge on the outside runs much better than in the past, he s not getting burned by the naked boots or reverses the way that KVB does he s basically improved his all around game and is still getting to the passer. He has 7.5 sacks, so if you think he s overpaid just wait til he hits FA bc another team will give him close to that $10mill/year and definitely more than 3 years. Finally, what exactly have Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson done this year. LoJack had his best game yesterday but outside of a blocked kick where has he been? Willie Young just hasnt been very good this year, he drew a holding penatly last week that was big - outside of that not much from Willie. So if you just let Avril walk then you really lose a lot on that DL. KVB isnt the same, he s still giving the effort he s just not as good. To me this season has shown that the Lions need to keep that DL core intact. We dont see a lot of talent in that secondary but they ve held up somehow. I wonder why? The problem though is that they also definitely need to keep Chris Houston and he s going to be high priced as well, probably $7-8 mill per year I would think. And then you have Durant and Levy as FA. Mayhew s going to need to make some room either with creative contracts or by letting some guys like KVB, Burleson, Backus, Peterman, Corey Williams walk. Backus, Williams, Burleson have their replacements on the roster already. KVB and Peterman dont, DE will require a high draft pick but replacing Peterman shouldnt be as difficult.

As for Leshoure - you are right, he will be better next year. Im not saying get rid of him but him and Bell are pretty similar. Smith I think has better vision than either of them but doesnt scare D Coordinators much either. Those guys would be a very good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runner. The Lions though need a dynamic runner and they need it desperately - especially the way they ve been calling plays.


It'd be nice if the Lions admitted their mistake with TY and did exactly what you say, but I don't see it happening. I think Mayhew is too proud to admit that mistake, and will simply leave on the coaches to fix.

As for Avril....he's not worth $10M per year, and if you think he is, you're crazy. I don't care if another team is willing to pay him that. Great! Let them do exactly that and weaken their roster in the process by limiting their ability to land other players. Avril is not consistent enough to be paid top dollar at his position, period. While you don't get the Avril bashing, I don't get the Avril love. He's not worth the money, and that's the simple truth. Were he being paid around $6-7M per season, I'd be OK with that. Even at $8M, I'd not gripe too much. But anything over that is stupid.

I don't see Chris Houston demanding that much in the market, and if he does, once again just let him go. He's the Lions best corner, by far, but not the NFLs best corner. If we could sign him for around $5-6M per season, I'd be OK with that. Durant needs to be re-signed. He is a bigger impact player for this defense than Levy. It's not even close. We have three other guys on this roster that can play the Will, and I think any of them in his place wouldn't be too much of a step down from Levy.

I think Bell and LeShoure have good vision. They find creases and get through them fairly well. Neither has the great explosion I'd like to see, but a speed back doesn't always have that either. As I said, a speed back is a nice to have, but not necessarily a need to have. Plenty of teams do very well without a speed demon in their RB stable. I'd rather see the Lions dedicate resources to the offensive lines improvement.

I am anxious to see what the Lions plan with Bill Nagy. Will he replace Peterman? Will he allow the Lions to part with Raiola? Or do they think he's simply not ready to start? Personally, I think the guy is good enough to start inside for us next year, which means we could get another interior OL in the draft and hopefully be set. As long as the Lions don't overpay for Gosder. If they allow him to walk, let's hope Jason Fox is ready to step in. He looked pretty good in pre-season.


I forgot about Nagy, hopefully he is ready to go and saves us some cap space somewhere since he s on his first contract. Maybe he can be our next center when Dom is gone and replace Peterman in the short term.

I really dont understand your points about money again. I m not in love with Avril but why he is being bashed makes little sense. He s playing well and he s a good player. Im not advocating the Lions give him 6 years 72 million or whatever he wants but Im not crying about having him on the team this year on a 1 yr deal. WIllie Young, LoJack, KVB, Ronnel Lewis arent in his class of player and the DL is key to how this defense works. Mayhew did the right thing in having him on the team this season. As for Houston, you have to believe that Houston will get more than what Eric Wright's 5 yr/38 mill deal since he s a more consistent player. $5 million just isnt going to happen there. Id rather overpay to have those guys before they hit the market then to end end up with cheaper marginal players that probably shouldnt be starters like LoJack, Young, Jonte Green, Lacey...


November 23rd, 2012, 4:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ-B, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.