View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Texans (Thanksgiving Day) 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Texans (Thanksgiving Day)
I'm starting to get in line with the same thought as wjb that we need to look for a new head coach. We lost that game because of that penalty that he caused. The Refs called it correctly and he made the mistake of throwing the flag, he needs to know the rules, all of the rules, he's the coach of the team for crying out loud.

November 22nd, 2012, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

Wrong, the refs boned us by not blowing the whistle when chumps in the nose bleeds could tell he was down. Should have been called down to begin with

November 22nd, 2012, 9:20 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Wrong, the refs boned us by not blowing the whistle when chumps in the nose bleeds could tell he was down. Should have been called down to begin with

Agree. That was a stupid call and its a stupid rule by the NFL about not being able to review it due to the challenge.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 22nd, 2012, 9:55 pm
Team MVP

mwill2 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
49ers wrote:
Why isn't sheffler the number one the? He's light years better than left.

Rielly Rief would make a better TE than Pettigrew. Pettigrew lets the team down everytime he suits up

I think it's safe to add TE to the growing list of Lions needs for 2013. I thought Pettigrew turned the corner last year but his hands/ball security are worse than ever.

I second that. Scheffler proved today he needs to start over Pett. Pettigrew was drafted in 2009, he should freaking get it by now. Hes had his chance, hes let the team down numerous times, now step aside and let someone else get it done.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 22nd, 2012, 9:57 pm
Heisman Winner

kdsberman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Agree. That was a stupid call and its a stupid rule by the NFL about not being able to review it due to the challenge.

The Refs are told to let play that they are not sure of continue without a whistle just in case. The refs did what they were trained to do, Jim is the one to blame. Granted he was down but none of the refs saw it doesn't change the fact that Schwartz didn't know the rules on how TDs are challenged.

November 22nd, 2012, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

That blind MFer was standing right there. My rectum he didn't see it. Just like they couldn't clearly see the ball change directions on the punt like everyone else watching the same replays saw.

November 22nd, 2012, 10:32 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm the biggest Schwartz apologist anywhere, but he blew it on that play. Yes, the official should have blown the whistle when the guy was obviously down, but every coach should know that scoring plays will be reviewed automatically. I agree it's a bad rule but the referees have to enforce the rules, even the stupid ones.

November 22nd, 2012, 10:56 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

This game was exactly the reason we had replacement refs for the first few games of the season. I can't believe these guys are allowed to work. Honestly, fire this entire crew and do not give them any kind of severance. They didn't earn their paycheck today.

November 22nd, 2012, 11:04 pm
League MVP

Not only did Schwartz know the rule, he made fun of Jim Harbaugh in the 2011 home game vs SF by shouting across the field "learn the rules" at harbaugh when Harbaugh threw the challenge flag on a play where I believe the Lions had scored and got penalized for challenging.

Anyway, what bothers me more is Schwartz explanation. He basically said he was still fuming about the punt challenge play and that he had the flag ready before the TD was even scored. I think Schwartz is a smart guy and it shows when he talks about football in interviews, press conferences, etc but during games I fear that his intelligence is blinded by raw emotions. When the head coach loses his composure in a big moment like that and it costs the team, you wonder what the players think. They fought hard this game but Schwartz actions explain a lot of why so many of the players have had similar gaffes. After all, if Coach cant do it, who can?

November 22nd, 2012, 11:47 pm
League MVP

as for the stuff about the easy schedule next year - the schedule will only be 2 games differnet than the other teams in our division will play

November 22nd, 2012, 11:48 pm
RIP Killer

I won't blame this entirely on the referees, because the Lions had more than enough chances to win this game, or put it away. Twice the offense started with great field position towards the end of the game, and twice they couldn't do squat. They only needed to move the ball about 20 yards to get into field goal range to make it a 10 point game, and couldn't even move forward one yard. Pathetic. Then the defense allows a 98 yard scoring drive, helped by some stupid penalties and even worse play. Chris Houston had the freakin' ball right in his mitts, and can't make the play. Disappointing, to say the least. But make no mistake, the referees jobbed the Lions today, big time. One of the worst officiated games I've seen. Terrible calls, and worse no calls. Their receivers pushing off....no calls. Their corners and safeties pushing our receivers when the ball is in the air....no call. Absolutely horrific. WCF, Jr. needs to contact the league office and complain until someones ears bleed from it. The entire nation watched this debacle, and there is no excuse, absolutely none, that Goodell can give to excuse what happened.

All said, the Lions played a pretty good game, but once again couldn't do what it takes to get the win. Between mistakes made by the coaches and the players, this team seems completely different than the one that took the field in 2011, despite many of the same faces being in place.

Like it or not, wjb has been correct on many points, so give him his due. He was right about Avril, right about Pettigrew and right about Schwartz. At this point, I don't see him as the guy to make this a legitimate playoff contender year in and year out. Pettigrew is far too inconsistent to be considered a top notch tight end, despite all his receptions. And Avril played decently today, but it's not like he was facing Eric Winston at right tackle.

I will give credit for a job well done to Ryan Broyles, Calvin Johnson, Nick Harris, John Wendling and Louis Delmas. But if today's game didn't give any of you a clue as to how badly we need another safety, than nothing will. They were tearing us up down the middle all day long....exactly where our safeties are supposed to be covering. Ricardo Silva didn't impress today. And Erik Coleman is a joke, flat out.

Oh, and Stephen Tulloch sucks in pass defense. The Lions need to pull him in obvious passing situations. He hurt us immensely there last year, particularly in the playoff game to the Saints. He is the same this season. His drops are either too late, or too deep. He lacks awareness in pass defense. And it's not like he's all that great against the run either. He's decent in that regard, but nothing spectacular.

November 22nd, 2012, 11:55 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I was watching a neutral NFL board during the game, and everyone agreed that the Lions were robbed.

Oh well. Playing for a draft pick at this point.

Who would you want to pick up if the Lions got rid of Schwartz?

November 23rd, 2012, 12:34 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

even with all we went through, we still win if jason hanson does his job.

November 23rd, 2012, 12:50 am
QB Coach

I don't think it's time to get rid of Schwartz, but what do you guys think about our chances to land Gruden? I think he could do some good things with this offense.

I do think it is time to give up on Pett. I never wanted him drafted in the first place, but he grew on me a little last year. However, his inability to catch the ball in routine situations, and especially in clutch situations is insane. He has really bad ball security problems. Had he held on to one catch, we're in FG range at the end of the game and overtime doesn't happen more than likely. If he doesn't fumble the second one, we're at the Houston 32, with 3rd and either 1 or 2, with a chance to put the game away.

More and more each week it becomes evident how much secondary help we need. Houston had a pretty good game today but had two chances at INTs that he didn't make. The one he did get in OT was crucial and we need to keep him in the offseason. However, on 4th and 7 and 3rd and 10 on their tying TD drive, we let ANDRE JOHNSON get wide open! He's their best receiver.

Another play that wasn't made was on the second screen pass in OT. It hit KVB right in the hands, if he catches it he goes in for 6 game over. I was screaming at the TV for us to kick it on second down when we got to the 25 yard line, only to have us lose 3 yards the next play and then miss the kick.

November 23rd, 2012, 1:00 am
QB Coach

I generally never blame refs for a loss, but this one does fall, at least to a large extent, on the refs. If they don't both the call, Schwartz doesn't throw the flag, and this is never a tie game. Inexcusable. Lions got screwed. It's true they had chances to put it away, so they deserve some blame as well. But anytime the refs make a series of bad calls that directly effect the outcome, they did a piss poor job. Tough one to take.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 23rd, 2012, 1:03 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next