View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 2:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Texans (Thanksgiving Day) 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Texans (Thanksgiving Day)
Schwartz not only signed a recent extension, but we know how loyal our owners are. We could lose every game in blowout fashion tot he end of the season and his job wouldnt even be in the remotest jeopardy.

That said, I really want tolike Schwartz, but his emotions run him on gameday, the 1 time you need icewater in your veins, and it has cost the Lions more than 1 game. Gunther is the only solid coach we have, and he still isnt overly impressive. I could see a whole new staff with the right Offensive Philosophy coming in and being successfull right off the bat depending on who it is... but it wont happen for at least another few seasons.

November 23rd, 2012, 1:05 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

even with all we went through, we still win if jason hanson does his job.

November 23rd, 2012, 2:27 am
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
even with all we went through, we still win if jason hanson does his job.

I didnt like Schwartz explanation for kicking it on 3rd down in that situation either. He basically said - Jason wasnt going to miss that one short...so...coach why the f didnt you kick it on 1st down then? Schwartz explanation on that didnt make a lot of sense, the Lions had a chance to improve that FG position but they were predictable with the 2 plays they did run and then after going backwards wasted an opportunity to have another play.

Besides the refs and the Schwartz - Stafford took two terrible sacks at the end of drives in the 4th where connecting on the check down is enough to give Hanson a shot at making it a 2 score game and pretty much sealing it up. Big fail for him on those plays. Houston was showing blitz presnap on both of them, there has to be a hot route open.

November 23rd, 2012, 8:15 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Blueskies wrote:
I was watching a neutral NFL board during the game, and everyone agreed that the Lions were robbed.

Oh well. Playing for a draft pick at this point.

Who would you want to pick up if the Lions got rid of Schwartz?

It's not time to panic and replace Schwartz. Stay the course, continue to build, stop wasting high picks on mediocre players like Pettigrew(all thumbs), Spievay, Young(head case), Best(too soft), and could probably include Delmas who can't seem to get or stay healthy.

November 23rd, 2012, 10:17 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
I won't blame this entirely on the referees, because the Lions had more than enough chances to win this game, or put it away. Twice the offense started with great field position towards the end of the game, and twice they couldn't do squat. They only needed to move the ball about 20 yards to get into field goal range to make it a 10 point game, and couldn't even move forward one yard. Pathetic. Then the defense allows a 98 yard scoring drive, helped by some stupid penalties and even worse play. Chris Houston had the freakin' ball right in his mitts, and can't make the play. Disappointing, to say the least. But make no mistake, the referees jobbed the Lions today, big time. One of the worst officiated games I've seen. Terrible calls, and worse no calls. Their receivers pushing off....no calls. Their corners and safeties pushing our receivers when the ball is in the air....no call. Absolutely horrific. WCF, Jr. needs to contact the league office and complain until someones ears bleed from it. The entire nation watched this debacle, and there is no excuse, absolutely none, that Goodell can give to excuse what happened.

All said, the Lions played a pretty good game, but once again couldn't do what it takes to get the win. Between mistakes made by the coaches and the players, this team seems completely different than the one that took the field in 2011, despite many of the same faces being in place.

Like it or not, wjb has been correct on many points, so give him his due. He was right about Avril, right about Pettigrew and right about Schwartz. At this point, I don't see him as the guy to make this a legitimate playoff contender year in and year out. Pettigrew is far too inconsistent to be considered a top notch tight end, despite all his receptions. And Avril played decently today, but it's not like he was facing Eric Winston at right tackle.

I will give credit for a job well done to Ryan Broyles, Calvin Johnson, Nick Harris, John Wendling and Louis Delmas. But if today's game didn't give any of you a clue as to how badly we need another safety, than nothing will. They were tearing us up down the middle all day long....exactly where our safeties are supposed to be covering. Ricardo Silva didn't impress today. And Erik Coleman is a joke, flat out.

Oh, and Stephen Tulloch sucks in pass defense. The Lions need to pull him in obvious passing situations. He hurt us immensely there last year, particularly in the playoff game to the Saints. He is the same this season. His drops are either too late, or too deep. He lacks awareness in pass defense. And it's not like he's all that great against the run either. He's decent in that regard, but nothing spectacular.

Agree about Tulloch, think he's overrated and I haven't been impressed by any of the LB's we have.

November 23rd, 2012, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I won't blame this entirely on the referees, because the Lions had more than enough chances to win this game, or put it away. Twice the offense started with great field position towards the end of the game, and twice they couldn't do squat. They only needed to move the ball about 20 yards to get into field goal range to make it a 10 point game, and couldn't even move forward one yard. Pathetic. Then the defense allows a 98 yard scoring drive, helped by some stupid penalties and even worse play. Chris Houston had the freakin' ball right in his mitts, and can't make the play. Disappointing, to say the least. But make no mistake, the referees jobbed the Lions today, big time. One of the worst officiated games I've seen. Terrible calls, and worse no calls. Their receivers pushing off....no calls. Their corners and safeties pushing our receivers when the ball is in the air....no call. Absolutely horrific. WCF, Jr. needs to contact the league office and complain until someones ears bleed from it. The entire nation watched this debacle, and there is no excuse, absolutely none, that Goodell can give to excuse what happened.

All said, the Lions played a pretty good game, but once again couldn't do what it takes to get the win. Between mistakes made by the coaches and the players, this team seems completely different than the one that took the field in 2011, despite many of the same faces being in place.

Like it or not, wjb has been correct on many points, so give him his due. He was right about Avril, right about Pettigrew and right about Schwartz. At this point, I don't see him as the guy to make this a legitimate playoff contender year in and year out. Pettigrew is far too inconsistent to be considered a top notch tight end, despite all his receptions. And Avril played decently today, but it's not like he was facing Eric Winston at right tackle.

I will give credit for a job well done to Ryan Broyles, Calvin Johnson, Nick Harris, John Wendling and Louis Delmas. But if today's game didn't give any of you a clue as to how badly we need another safety, than nothing will. They were tearing us up down the middle all day long....exactly where our safeties are supposed to be covering. Ricardo Silva didn't impress today. And Erik Coleman is a joke, flat out.

Oh, and Stephen Tulloch sucks in pass defense. The Lions need to pull him in obvious passing situations. He hurt us immensely there last year, particularly in the playoff game to the Saints. He is the same this season. His drops are either too late, or too deep. He lacks awareness in pass defense. And it's not like he's all that great against the run either. He's decent in that regard, but nothing spectacular.

Agree about Tulloch, think he's overrated and I haven't been impressed by any of the LB's we have.

Durant is a solid linebacker, and the Lions should make re-signing him one of their priorities. He is their best pass coverage LBer among the starters, and in my opinion their best tackling linebacker. Of the three starters, he's the one the team would miss the most if he's gone.

November 23rd, 2012, 3:52 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Durant is a solid linebacker, and the Lions should make re-signing him one of their priorities. He is their best pass coverage LBer among the starters, and in my opinion their best tackling linebacker. Of the three starters, he's the one the team would miss the most if he's gone.

I love Durant - I think he is solid but he is actually their worst starting pass coverage LBer seeing as how he is the one who s been leaving the field on passing downs for the past two seasons. I agree he d be missed more than Levy but Tulloch remains the best all around LBer on the team and its not really even close.

November 23rd, 2012, 4:07 pm
Schwartz's extension was a joke, and undeserved, and now the fans are paying for it.

Like I said last year, the guy lacks discipline, and he's not going to take us to a SB, flat out. You can't be an emotional wreck and make stupid decisions that are PART OF THE PROBLEM, and beat a calm, collected coach that makes SMART decisions that HELP his team.

He's a chump with an ankle tattoo... I bet he wears bikini briefs too...

November 23rd, 2012, 6:57 pm
RIP Killer

He's a chump that's a millionaire. Damn him!

November 23rd, 2012, 8:29 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

conversion02 wrote:
He's a chump that's a millionaire. Damn him!

Sooo...golden bikini briefs then? :wink:

November 23rd, 2012, 8:51 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Schwartz's extension was a joke, and undeserved, and now the fans are paying for it.

Again fans are paying for it.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 23rd, 2012, 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
I love Durant - I think he is solid but he is actually their worst starting pass coverage LBer seeing as how he is the one who s been leaving the field on passing downs for the past two seasons. I agree he d be missed more than Levy but Tulloch remains the best all around LBer on the team and its not really even close.

Watch the games closely. When opposing teams pass while he's on the field, he has excellent coverage on his man. The fact that the Lions take him off the field in certain situations while leaving Tulloch and/or Levy on the field speaks to their ignorance. Tulloch has repeatedly hurt this team because of his poor coverage ability, and it has been pointed out numerous times by analysts during games. He also doesn't wrap up ball carriers like he used to. Is that an injury issue? I don't know, but he isn't even close to being as good as Durant overall. He's just paid more, which doesn't make him better by far. I cannot fathom how you can look at Tulloch and see him as our best linebacker. Don't look at stats...watch the games and see how often he misses gaps, struggles to get off blocks, and often bounces off ball carriers or gets taken for a ride by one.

November 24th, 2012, 1:06 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Watch the games closely. When opposing teams pass while he's on the field, he has excellent coverage on his man. The fact that the Lions take him off the field in certain situations while leaving Tulloch and/or Levy on the field speaks to their ignorance. Tulloch has repeatedly hurt this team because of his poor coverage ability, and it has been pointed out numerous times by analysts during games. He also doesn't wrap up ball carriers like he used to. Is that an injury issue? I don't know, but he isn't even close to being as good as Durant overall. He's just paid more, which doesn't make him better by far. I cannot fathom how you can look at Tulloch and see him as our best linebacker. Don't look at stats...watch the games and see how often he misses gaps, struggles to get off blocks, and often bounces off ball carriers or gets taken for a ride by one.

I agree that Durant is as good of a read and react linebacker as the lions have had in a while but he s not that good in obvious passing downs. i watch every play of every game 5-6 times, i look at stats too but more for fun not for judgement on a player s effectiveness.

November 24th, 2012, 2:47 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Like I said last year, the guy lacks discipline, and he's not going to take us to a SB, flat out. You can't be an emotional wreck and make stupid decisions that are PART OF THE PROBLEM, and beat a calm, collected coach that makes SMART decisions that HELP his team.

i agree with your overall sentiment and i first started to wonder about it during the 6-10 season two years ago when the Lions had appeared to have the core of the team in the building but got off to a 2-10 start. they made the playoffs, last season and it was a great accomplishment for them but they lost a lot of steam after Best's injury/handshake gate. I think both were big factors in there downward turn. they ve looked like a team with talented players since then but really have only had a handful of good "team" games since then and a sub .500 record. Schwartz is a smart man but he s not during games and I agree with you, its bc of his emotions. they are unlikely to take the next step with him and i agree its time for a change. Unfortunately, I doubt that Mayhew makes a move because of the extension and that Schwartz got the team into the playoffs a year ago. This season is a debacle bc the team shows the talent to play with the Big Boys like Chicago, Houston, Green Bay, SF but lacks the fortitude to consistently beat pattycakes like Tennessee. I dont think Minnesota is a pattycake but this Lions team has no business losing to them let alone getting swept.

November 24th, 2012, 2:57 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

i agree with your overall sentiment and i first started to wonder about it during the 6-10 season two years ago when the Lions had appeared to have the core of the team in the building but got off to a 2-10 start. they made the playoffs, last season and it was a great accomplishment for them but they lost a lot of steam after Best's injury/handshake gate. I think both were big factors in there downward turn. they ve looked like a team with talented players since then but really have only had a handful of good "team" games since then and a sub .500 record. Schwartz is a smart man but he s not during games and I agree with you, its bc of his emotions. they are unlikely to take the next step with him and i agree its time for a change. Unfortunately, I doubt that Mayhew makes a move because of the extension and that Schwartz got the team into the playoffs a year ago. This season is a debacle bc the team shows the talent to play with the Big Boys like Chicago, Houston, Green Bay, SF but lacks the fortitude to consistently beat pattycakes like Tennessee. I dont think Minnesota is a pattycake but this Lions team has no business losing to them let alone getting swept.

I agree as well. I am starting to wonder if Schwartz has what it takes to make good decisions when it counts. His screw up on Sunday hurt this team and cost us a win, even though the refs should have blown the whistle. It wasn't even close. But Jim's reaction to the call on the field is what took away the review (which is a STUPID F#$&*ING RULE, by the way) and cost this team. Also, I don't think Schwartz has the kiwis to fire Linehan or Cunningham, and Linehan definitely needs to go. This year has shown us one very clear thing.....if Stafford is struggling at all, his offense falls apart. No offense should be so reliant on the performance of the quarterback, particularly one still as young as Matt. I think he feels the pressure and isn't handling it well. Yet, despite that, we continue to ask him to throw the ball 45-50 times a game, and it shouldn't be that way. They run when it is obvious, the pass when it is obvious, and I see no innovation or adaption to this offense. At the onset of this season everyone said 'Well, the Lions are going to score their share of points, it's the defense that's the concern.' That's not how it's played out, and that is mostly Linehan's fault. His offensive game planning is bad, and his adaption to what the defense is allowing is non-existant. The guy has to go. With the extension, Schwartz isn't going anyplace. Time to shake up the parts around him that he's relied on so far.

November 24th, 2012, 12:50 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next