View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Computerizing the Refs 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Computerizing the Refs
Was just thinking about this the other day.

The NFL brings in some serious cash -- about $9 billion. There's plenty to go around.

So why couldn't they reduce the job of the refs by bringing some hi-tech stuff into play?

For example, couldn't they put a chip in the ball and then some sensor on the endzone line? Then when the ball goes over the sensor, it would be instantly known via computer and there would be no doubt.

Might be able to do a similar thing with knee pads and the ground.

Thoughts?

November 24th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Computerizing the Refs
Blueskies wrote:
Was just thinking about this the other day.

The NFL brings in some serious cash -- about $9 billion. There's plenty to go around.

So why couldn't they reduce the job of the refs by bringing some hi-tech stuff into play?

For example, couldn't they put a chip in the ball and then some sensor on the endzone line? Then when the ball goes over the sensor, it would be instantly known via computer and there would be no doubt.

Might be able to do a similar thing with knee pads and the ground.

Thoughts?

The GPS chip you are referring to isn't precise enough at this time. At least that's the last I heard of it, it's only accurate up to 3 to 10 feet, football needs it to be accurate to the millimeter to implement.

November 24th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

no. someone just needs to publicly show rodger goodell the bullshit that his goons have put us thru since we've been relevant. goodell will never go for that so are only hope is to someday be good enough to overcome the crappy calls we get.

November 24th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
The GPS chip you are referring to isn't precise enough at this time. At least that's the last I heard of it, it's only accurate up to 3 to 10 feet, football needs it to be accurate to the millimeter to implement.

The reason why GPS is only accurate to a few feet is because the satellites are in space, miles above earth. I'm sure, if the NFL wanted to, they could design a GPS system for each stadium that would be significantly more accurate. Further, why does it have to be GPS? What if the ball was like emitting some kind of infrared light or something that could be picked up by a sensor at the goal line?

The easiest would be false start/netural zone infraction. If you had a camera set at the line of scrimmage, it could easily detect if someone is lined up in the neutral zone, or if someone jumps before the ball is snapped.

Put sensors in facemasks. Etc.

I really don't have much technical knowledge here, it just seems to me that with all the money available and how far technology has come, about half of the refs' job could be eliminated via computer.

November 25th, 2012, 12:56 am
Heisman Winner

It'd be nice to get a sensor in the ball for goal line situations, but other stuff the refs just need to get it right.

The games are long enough, why not just take the extra 5 minutest to get those big calls right? I think judgement calls are BS personally, there should be rules set in stone and not be any gray areas involved to cause uncertainty

November 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
hamma77 wrote:
It'd be nice to get a sensor in the ball for goal line situations, but other stuff the refs just need to get it right.

The games are long enough, why not just take the extra 5 minutest to get those big calls right? I think judgement calls are BS personally, there should be rules set in stone and not be any gray areas involved to cause uncertainty

Games are already 3 hours long, couple more minutes won't hurt anyone time.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 25th, 2012, 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]