View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 8:55 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Titus Young Sent Home... 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2286
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
.... coleman

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 23rd, 2012, 4:47 pm
Profile
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I think its time to cut ties with Titus. Let him come back for the last 2-3 games and then deal him in March for a 6th or 7th round pick, thats about all we can expect at this point. There s enough talent here at wideout with Calvin, Broyles, Thomas that they could use that 6th or 7th rounder to find someone with some return skills and to be at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Fairley is playing much better than Sammie Hill. Hill had a decent game or two in the beginning of the season but is not having a good season, he was far better a year ago and its not just bc of playing time bc he seems to be actually getting more since Williams has been out. Fairley is making plays, I d like to see him a little more consistent from play to play as to me it still looks like he s not in great condition.

I dont understand the ongoing Avril bashing. He s holding the edge on the outside runs much better than in the past, he s not getting burned by the naked boots or reverses the way that KVB does he s basically improved his all around game and is still getting to the passer. He has 7.5 sacks, so if you think he s overpaid just wait til he hits FA bc another team will give him close to that $10mill/year and definitely more than 3 years. Finally, what exactly have Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson done this year. LoJack had his best game yesterday but outside of a blocked kick where has he been? Willie Young just hasnt been very good this year, he drew a holding penatly last week that was big - outside of that not much from Willie. So if you just let Avril walk then you really lose a lot on that DL. KVB isnt the same, he s still giving the effort he s just not as good. To me this season has shown that the Lions need to keep that DL core intact. We dont see a lot of talent in that secondary but they ve held up somehow. I wonder why? The problem though is that they also definitely need to keep Chris Houston and he s going to be high priced as well, probably $7-8 mill per year I would think. And then you have Durant and Levy as FA. Mayhew s going to need to make some room either with creative contracts or by letting some guys like KVB, Burleson, Backus, Peterman, Corey Williams walk. Backus, Williams, Burleson have their replacements on the roster already. KVB and Peterman dont, DE will require a high draft pick but replacing Peterman shouldnt be as difficult.

As for Leshoure - you are right, he will be better next year. Im not saying get rid of him but him and Bell are pretty similar. Smith I think has better vision than either of them but doesnt scare D Coordinators much either. Those guys would be a very good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runner. The Lions though need a dynamic runner and they need it desperately - especially the way they ve been calling plays.


It'd be nice if the Lions admitted their mistake with TY and did exactly what you say, but I don't see it happening. I think Mayhew is too proud to admit that mistake, and will simply leave on the coaches to fix.

As for Avril....he's not worth $10M per year, and if you think he is, you're crazy. I don't care if another team is willing to pay him that. Great! Let them do exactly that and weaken their roster in the process by limiting their ability to land other players. Avril is not consistent enough to be paid top dollar at his position, period. While you don't get the Avril bashing, I don't get the Avril love. He's not worth the money, and that's the simple truth. Were he being paid around $6-7M per season, I'd be OK with that. Even at $8M, I'd not gripe too much. But anything over that is stupid.

I don't see Chris Houston demanding that much in the market, and if he does, once again just let him go. He's the Lions best corner, by far, but not the NFLs best corner. If we could sign him for around $5-6M per season, I'd be OK with that. Durant needs to be re-signed. He is a bigger impact player for this defense than Levy. It's not even close. We have three other guys on this roster that can play the Will, and I think any of them in his place wouldn't be too much of a step down from Levy.

I think Bell and LeShoure have good vision. They find creases and get through them fairly well. Neither has the great explosion I'd like to see, but a speed back doesn't always have that either. As I said, a speed back is a nice to have, but not necessarily a need to have. Plenty of teams do very well without a speed demon in their RB stable. I'd rather see the Lions dedicate resources to the offensive lines improvement.

I am anxious to see what the Lions plan with Bill Nagy. Will he replace Peterman? Will he allow the Lions to part with Raiola? Or do they think he's simply not ready to start? Personally, I think the guy is good enough to start inside for us next year, which means we could get another interior OL in the draft and hopefully be set. As long as the Lions don't overpay for Gosder. If they allow him to walk, let's hope Jason Fox is ready to step in. He looked pretty good in pre-season.


I forgot about Nagy, hopefully he is ready to go and saves us some cap space somewhere since he s on his first contract. Maybe he can be our next center when Dom is gone and replace Peterman in the short term.

I really dont understand your points about money again. I m not in love with Avril but why he is being bashed makes little sense. He s playing well and he s a good player. Im not advocating the Lions give him 6 years 72 million or whatever he wants but Im not crying about having him on the team this year on a 1 yr deal. WIllie Young, LoJack, KVB, Ronnel Lewis arent in his class of player and the DL is key to how this defense works. Mayhew did the right thing in having him on the team this season. As for Houston, you have to believe that Houston will get more than what Eric Wright's 5 yr/38 mill deal since he s a more consistent player. $5 million just isnt going to happen there. Id rather overpay to have those guys before they hit the market then to end end up with cheaper marginal players that probably shouldnt be starters like LoJack, Young, Jonte Green, Lacey...


FWIW

My issue with Avril isn't his performance, it's his pay demands. Like M2 says, if he thinks he's worth $10 mill, buh-bye!... He's flat out not. My issue with bringing him back was, like I said, we could have nearly signed Tracy Porter and Bush and Manningham for his price tag. IMO Tracy Porter would have helped this team more than Avril has this year (remember, we let go of Brown to keep Avril... It's not Avril v Willie Young, it's Avril v Porter, Brown AND Willie Young). I've been disappointed with Willie this year, but it's for the same reasons that I was disappointed with him last year, and the same concerns I had with him last offseason - lack of discipline.

I'm not a fan of Bell as we currently use him. If we kept him as a #3, gave him VERY FEW carries, and "groomed" him as an uber cheap injury fill-in, depth, role player, I'd be fine with it, but the bottom line is you can tell he was a D2 player, and he's not ready for the NFL. Every time he carries the ball I hold my breath. He fumbles or nearly fumbles a lot, and he just doesn't play "smart." You can tell the game is too fast for him, and he makes a lot of mistakes. I am a fan of Bell, but not in his current role.

Titus should be shown the door next year, at all costs. He's part of the problem. Just like Nates easy drops and Petts easy drops were part of the problem last year. Their performance and antics lower the bar as to what is "acceptable" and it rubs off on other areas of the game. Other people stop caring, stop trying, or stop being so attentive to detail when other people are simply ALLOWED to screw up left and right. We need some accountability on this team.

Our OL is mess, flat out. I know people will scream and cry, but I haven't been impressed with Rief, at all. I think he's going to struggle next year if he's handed the LT role, and at the end of the day I really think he's better suited to play RT. Our middle OL is phucking mess, which is why I literally HATE the way this team has been ran, I PHUCKING HATE IT!!! But everyone knows that...

Dom is old, Sims is old, Peterman sucks, Backus needs replacing, and Gos isn't worth his pay grade. Our OL is literally in shambles (and some on here said it's the best in our division... sorry, but I'd take Minny's over ours, and GBs is in better shape than ours long-term, but they do need some drastic help, and their Qb is good enough to play through it, ours isn't). Nagy is intersting, but it's straight out of Matt Millen's playbook to go into a season relying on someone to start that we have no business relying on.


November 23rd, 2012, 6:27 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12245
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I think its time to cut ties with Titus. Let him come back for the last 2-3 games and then deal him in March for a 6th or 7th round pick, thats about all we can expect at this point. There s enough talent here at wideout with Calvin, Broyles, Thomas that they could use that 6th or 7th rounder to find someone with some return skills and to be at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

Fairley is playing much better than Sammie Hill. Hill had a decent game or two in the beginning of the season but is not having a good season, he was far better a year ago and its not just bc of playing time bc he seems to be actually getting more since Williams has been out. Fairley is making plays, I d like to see him a little more consistent from play to play as to me it still looks like he s not in great condition.

I dont understand the ongoing Avril bashing. He s holding the edge on the outside runs much better than in the past, he s not getting burned by the naked boots or reverses the way that KVB does he s basically improved his all around game and is still getting to the passer. He has 7.5 sacks, so if you think he s overpaid just wait til he hits FA bc another team will give him close to that $10mill/year and definitely more than 3 years. Finally, what exactly have Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson done this year. LoJack had his best game yesterday but outside of a blocked kick where has he been? Willie Young just hasnt been very good this year, he drew a holding penatly last week that was big - outside of that not much from Willie. So if you just let Avril walk then you really lose a lot on that DL. KVB isnt the same, he s still giving the effort he s just not as good. To me this season has shown that the Lions need to keep that DL core intact. We dont see a lot of talent in that secondary but they ve held up somehow. I wonder why? The problem though is that they also definitely need to keep Chris Houston and he s going to be high priced as well, probably $7-8 mill per year I would think. And then you have Durant and Levy as FA. Mayhew s going to need to make some room either with creative contracts or by letting some guys like KVB, Burleson, Backus, Peterman, Corey Williams walk. Backus, Williams, Burleson have their replacements on the roster already. KVB and Peterman dont, DE will require a high draft pick but replacing Peterman shouldnt be as difficult.

As for Leshoure - you are right, he will be better next year. Im not saying get rid of him but him and Bell are pretty similar. Smith I think has better vision than either of them but doesnt scare D Coordinators much either. Those guys would be a very good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runner. The Lions though need a dynamic runner and they need it desperately - especially the way they ve been calling plays.


It'd be nice if the Lions admitted their mistake with TY and did exactly what you say, but I don't see it happening. I think Mayhew is too proud to admit that mistake, and will simply leave on the coaches to fix.

As for Avril....he's not worth $10M per year, and if you think he is, you're crazy. I don't care if another team is willing to pay him that. Great! Let them do exactly that and weaken their roster in the process by limiting their ability to land other players. Avril is not consistent enough to be paid top dollar at his position, period. While you don't get the Avril bashing, I don't get the Avril love. He's not worth the money, and that's the simple truth. Were he being paid around $6-7M per season, I'd be OK with that. Even at $8M, I'd not gripe too much. But anything over that is stupid.

I don't see Chris Houston demanding that much in the market, and if he does, once again just let him go. He's the Lions best corner, by far, but not the NFLs best corner. If we could sign him for around $5-6M per season, I'd be OK with that. Durant needs to be re-signed. He is a bigger impact player for this defense than Levy. It's not even close. We have three other guys on this roster that can play the Will, and I think any of them in his place wouldn't be too much of a step down from Levy.

I think Bell and LeShoure have good vision. They find creases and get through them fairly well. Neither has the great explosion I'd like to see, but a speed back doesn't always have that either. As I said, a speed back is a nice to have, but not necessarily a need to have. Plenty of teams do very well without a speed demon in their RB stable. I'd rather see the Lions dedicate resources to the offensive lines improvement.

I am anxious to see what the Lions plan with Bill Nagy. Will he replace Peterman? Will he allow the Lions to part with Raiola? Or do they think he's simply not ready to start? Personally, I think the guy is good enough to start inside for us next year, which means we could get another interior OL in the draft and hopefully be set. As long as the Lions don't overpay for Gosder. If they allow him to walk, let's hope Jason Fox is ready to step in. He looked pretty good in pre-season.


I forgot about Nagy, hopefully he is ready to go and saves us some cap space somewhere since he s on his first contract. Maybe he can be our next center when Dom is gone and replace Peterman in the short term.

I really dont understand your points about money again. I m not in love with Avril but why he is being bashed makes little sense. He s playing well and he s a good player. Im not advocating the Lions give him 6 years 72 million or whatever he wants but Im not crying about having him on the team this year on a 1 yr deal. WIllie Young, LoJack, KVB, Ronnel Lewis arent in his class of player and the DL is key to how this defense works. Mayhew did the right thing in having him on the team this season. As for Houston, you have to believe that Houston will get more than what Eric Wright's 5 yr/38 mill deal since he s a more consistent player. $5 million just isnt going to happen there. Id rather overpay to have those guys before they hit the market then to end end up with cheaper marginal players that probably shouldnt be starters like LoJack, Young, Jonte Green, Lacey...


FWIW

My issue with Avril isn't his performance, it's his pay demands. Like M2 says, if he thinks he's worth $10 mill, buh-bye!... He's flat out not. My issue with bringing him back was, like I said, we could have nearly signed Tracy Porter and Bush and Manningham for his price tag. IMO Tracy Porter would have helped this team more than Avril has this year (remember, we let go of Brown to keep Avril... It's not Avril v Willie Young, it's Avril v Porter, Brown AND Willie Young). I've been disappointed with Willie this year, but it's for the same reasons that I was disappointed with him last year, and the same concerns I had with him last offseason - lack of discipline.

I'm not a fan of Bell as we currently use him. If we kept him as a #3, gave him VERY FEW carries, and "groomed" him as an uber cheap injury fill-in, depth, role player, I'd be fine with it, but the bottom line is you can tell he was a D2 player, and he's not ready for the NFL. Every time he carries the ball I hold my breath. He fumbles or nearly fumbles a lot, and he just doesn't play "smart." You can tell the game is too fast for him, and he makes a lot of mistakes. I am a fan of Bell, but not in his current role.

Titus should be shown the door next year, at all costs. He's part of the problem. Just like Nates easy drops and Petts easy drops were part of the problem last year. Their performance and antics lower the bar as to what is "acceptable" and it rubs off on other areas of the game. Other people stop caring, stop trying, or stop being so attentive to detail when other people are simply ALLOWED to screw up left and right. We need some accountability on this team.

Our OL is mess, flat out. I know people will scream and cry, but I haven't been impressed with Rief, at all. I think he's going to struggle next year if he's handed the LT role, and at the end of the day I really think he's better suited to play RT. Our middle OL is phucking mess, which is why I literally HATE the way this team has been ran, I PHUCKING HATE IT!!! But everyone knows that...

Dom is old, Sims is old, Peterman sucks, Backus needs replacing, and Gos isn't worth his pay grade. Our OL is literally in shambles (and some on here said it's the best in our division... sorry, but I'd take Minny's over ours, and GBs is in better shape than ours long-term, but they do need some drastic help, and their Qb is good enough to play through it, ours isn't). Nagy is intersting, but it's straight out of Matt Millen's playbook to go into a season relying on someone to start that we have no business relying on.

Hey fellas, let's get this back on topic please... Titus Young Sent Home...

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 25th, 2012, 8:32 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12245
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
[quote='PFT"]Titus Young “potentially” sitting out rest of season
Posted by Josh Alper on November 27, 2012, 7:55 PM EST

It’s been more than a week since the Lions told wide receiver Titus Young that he needn’t bother coming to work and it doesn’t sound like they’ll be asking him back any time soon.

When Schwartz first sent Young, who wasn’t at practice Tuesday, home, he said it was because Young put himself above the team. He was asked whether Young would miss the rest of the season as a result.

“Potentially,” Schwartz said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “This is a decision who the best 46 were on Sunday. That will continue to be evaluated. There’s been times he’s been very productive in our offense. He’s been an asset for our offense, an asset for our team. That’s where he needs to get back to.”

Schwartz said that both the team and Young “needed a little time away,” before saying that his chances of playing again would be based on what he does when he’s with the team rather than what he does while he’s away. None of it left anyone with any idea of what the future holds for Young in Detroit, but the first game without him offered no evidence that they’d be calling him back because of need.

Matthew Stafford threw for 441 yards and Ryan Broyles, whose role expanded greatly with Young gone, had six catches for 126 yards. Young’s put up 383 yards in 10 games this season, so the offense clearly gets along just fine without him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... of-season/[/quote]

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3394
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Kinda makes ya wonder the real reason they got Mike Thomas...

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


November 28th, 2012, 9:50 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12245
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
PFT wrote:
Titus Young back with Lions
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2012, 12:27 PM EST

On Tuesday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said that wide receiver Titus Young could “potentially” miss the rest of the season after being sent home for behaving badly during the team’s Week 11 loss to the Packers.

The potential must not have been all that great. Young is back with the Lions on Wednesday and taking part in practice with the team.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Young didn’t go back to his old place in the pecking order upon his return to the field. Young had a spot in the back row during stretching after spending time in the front row before the team told him he should find another way to spend his days. He also went last during wide receiver drills and played with the second-team offense in the portion of practice open to the media.

We’ll hear from Schwartz later about whether Young is in line for a return to the 46-man roster for games. Schwartz said Tuesday that Young would be judged on what he did upon his return to the team, a judgment that can begin now that Young’s exile has come to an end.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-lions/

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 28th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 879
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Titus Young back with Lions
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2012, 12:27 PM EST

On Tuesday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said that wide receiver Titus Young could “potentially” miss the rest of the season after being sent home for behaving badly during the team’s Week 11 loss to the Packers.

The potential must not have been all that great. Young is back with the Lions on Wednesday and taking part in practice with the team.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Young didn’t go back to his old place in the pecking order upon his return to the field. Young had a spot in the back row during stretching after spending time in the front row before the team told him he should find another way to spend his days. He also went last during wide receiver drills and played with the second-team offense in the portion of practice open to the media.

We’ll hear from Schwartz later about whether Young is in line for a return to the 46-man roster for games. Schwartz said Tuesday that Young would be judged on what he did upon his return to the team, a judgment that can begin now that Young’s exile has come to an end.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-lions/



I'm glad to hear that. Maybe his attitude will improve. I hope so, because the guy really dose have talent.


November 28th, 2012, 4:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Titus Young back with Lions
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2012, 12:27 PM EST

On Tuesday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said that wide receiver Titus Young could “potentially” miss the rest of the season after being sent home for behaving badly during the team’s Week 11 loss to the Packers.

The potential must not have been all that great. Young is back with the Lions on Wednesday and taking part in practice with the team.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Young didn’t go back to his old place in the pecking order upon his return to the field. Young had a spot in the back row during stretching after spending time in the front row before the team told him he should find another way to spend his days. He also went last during wide receiver drills and played with the second-team offense in the portion of practice open to the media.

We’ll hear from Schwartz later about whether Young is in line for a return to the 46-man roster for games. Schwartz said Tuesday that Young would be judged on what he did upon his return to the team, a judgment that can begin now that Young’s exile has come to an end.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-lions/


This article isn't even news worthy. It's just lipservice. Schwartz basically had to be pressed just to say Titus could "possibly" sit out the rest of the season. It's not going to happen, unless perhaps he does something really really dumb, but that's obvious. I hate these types of articles... They aren't even "news," just bullsh!t drama starters.


November 28th, 2012, 4:44 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3872
Location: WSU
Post Re: Titus Young Sent Home...
Quote:
My issue with Avril isn't his performance, it's his pay demands. Like M2 says, if he thinks he's worth $10 mill, buh-bye!... He's flat out not. My issue with bringing him back was, like I said, we could have nearly signed Tracy Porter and Bush and Manningham for his price tag. IMO Tracy Porter would have helped this team more than Avril has this year (remember, we let go of Brown to keep Avril... It's not Avril v Willie Young, it's Avril v Porter, Brown AND Willie Young). I've been disappointed with Willie this year, but it's for the same reasons that I was disappointed with him last year, and the same concerns I had with him last offseason - lack of discipline.


dont you think if everette brown truly had any value he would have played in more than 3 games in the past 2 years? that maybe the team that picked him in round 2 wouldnt have let him go after two seasons even when he didnt have a big injury? didnt derrick williams last longer than that here in detroit.

wags - topics evolve bro, chill out. we all chimed in on titus and he s not worth talking about. maybe they can keep him isolated so he s not sucker punching people or causing penalties and let him return some kicks and punts...


November 28th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.