View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Hall of Shame : The NFL's Bad Boys 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Hall of Shame : The NFL's Bad Boys
DUIs, DWIs, and the like all need to be prosecuted they way they currently are.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 14th, 2012, 2:16 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I can't help but think that 90 hours of community service would teach a lesson just as well.....i miss the days of community service. expressways were clean, parks were nicely raked.....sad really.

May 14th, 2012, 2:41 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
I can't help but think that 90 hours of community service would teach a lesson just as well.....i miss the days of community service. expressways were clean, parks were nicely raked.....sad really.

Sorry, but it doesn't. Working for a few hours a week doesn't teach the same lesson as stripping someone from all of their freedoms. I know people that have been sentenced to two years of probation and it STILL doesn't teach the same lesson. Nothing teaches someone that society simply does NOT accept what they're doing like jail does.

May 14th, 2012, 2:44 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Sorry, but it doesn't. Working for a few hours a week doesn't teach the same lesson as stripping someone from all of their freedoms. I know people that have been sentenced to two years of probation and it STILL doesn't teach the same lesson. Nothing teaches someone that society simply does NOT accept what they're doing like jail does.

i wont argue with you, you'd know better than I...But I still wonder if it wouldn't serve a word of good for some of the traffic violations (no insurance and the like) minor drug offenses (got caught with a joint kinda stuff) and the kind of stuff that teenagers do due to being stupid (grafitti and such). it sucks that punishment means jail when other alternatives have worked in the past for minor stuff.

May 14th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Modmin Dude

First off, this is rapidly approaching the need to be moved to Off-Topic....

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Nothing teaches someone that society simply does NOT accept what they're doing like jail does.
I'm quite sure there are plenty of bank robbers, rapists, murders, etc that keep on doing what got them there in the first place, yet it doesn't seem to stop them from being release early *cough* "for good behavior" *cough*.

Perhaps its time as a society to start working on actually rehabilitating people, instead of just throwing them in prison and forgetting about them until their 6 x 6 (or whatever size) cell is needed for the next person.

[/threadjack]

May 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
First off, this is rapidly approaching the need to be moved to Off-Topic....

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Nothing teaches someone that society simply does NOT accept what they're doing like jail does.
I'm quite sure there are plenty of bank robbers, rapists, murders, etc that keep on doing what got them there in the first place, yet it doesn't seem to stop them from being release early *cough* "for good behavior" *cough*.

Perhaps its time as a society to start working on actually rehabilitating people, instead of just throwing them in prison and forgetting about them until their 6 x 6 (or whatever size) cell is needed for the next person.

[/threadjack]

What's your point? That they should stay in longer, despite conforming and acting appropriately? What measure, then, would you use to shorten their sentence and give them a shot at public life? None? Just let them rot? I really don't see your point here.

May 14th, 2012, 3:29 pm

problem solved...I started a different thread for this.

May 14th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Lying to grand jury gets Johnnie Morton 2 years probation
National Football PostBy Brad Biggs | National Football Post – Tue, Jul 3, 2012 9:31 AM EDT

Johnnie Morton, the former first-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions who had 43 career touchdown receptions and one well-publicized run-in with Matt Millen, was sentenced to two years probation for lying to a grand jury.

According to the Associated Press, Morton lied about his relationship with Neang Chhorvann, a business associate. Morton, 40, later admitted to investing more than $2 million with the man, the IRS revealed. If Morton invested $2 million with a man the IRS was pursuing, it’s fair to wonder if Morton will ever see that money again.

Chhorvann pleaded guilty to money laundering last season and he is on the run and considered a fugitive. Defense attorneys claim Morton’s money was stolen from him and that Chhorvann threatened to kill Morton’s parents if he did anything. Officials could not corroborate those claims.

Morton’s final season in the NFL was with the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.

July 5th, 2012, 10:40 am
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Eric Wright arrested on felony DUI charge following accident
National Football PostBy Brad Biggs | National Football Post – Tue, Jul 3, 2012 9:11 AM EDT

At least he won’t count against the Detroit Lions’ checkered offseason but Eric Wright played for them last season.

Wright, the veteran cornerback who signed a $37 million deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency, was arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of felony driving under the influence, according to the Los Angeles Times.

It is considered a potential felony because Wright was involved in an injury accident after he had a wreck in his Mercedes SLS sports coup with a Chevy Silverado truck. Per the report, Wright told police he had been drinking earlier at a friend’s residence in Hollywood and Wright refused a Breathalyzer or a field sobriety test.

Wright, who played at USC before transferring to UNLV, was booked by police.

Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune

July 5th, 2012, 10:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

We lead the league in off season arrests this year. Do we get partial credit for Eric Wright? If so we are at 6.5. LOL.

July 5th, 2012, 10:44 am
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
Ex-NFL player sentenced for robberies, sex assault
The Associated Press – 13 hours ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- A former NFL player has been sentenced to life in prison for a series of home-invasion robberies and a sexual assault in Sacramento.

Keith Jerome Wright, who is 32, was sentenced Friday in Sacramento County Superior Court to multiple life terms. He was convicted last month of 19 charges that included forcible oral copulation, armed robbery, kidnapping, burglary and false imprisonment.

Prosecutors say DNA evidence and stolen items found in Wright's home connected him to three home invasion robberies in July and August 2011.

The former University of Missouri defensive lineman saw little playing time in the NFL after being selected in the sixth round of the draft by the Houston Texans in 2003. He also was with the Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions.

I don't remember him. But, apparently, he had a cup of coffee with the Lions.

December 1st, 2012, 10:37 am
RIP Killer

USA Today wrote:
Steelers cut RB Chris Rainey after arrest in Florida

The Pittsburgh Steelers cut running back Chris Rainey several hours after he was arrested in Gainesville, Fla., on one count of simple battery (dating violence) Thursday morning following an argument with his girlfriend over his cell phone.

"Chris Rainey's actions this morning were extremely disappointing," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement Thursday afternoon. "Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

According to a press release from the Gainesville Police Department, Rainey, 24, began pulling the victim from the passenger side of his roommate's vehicle before witnesses observed him slap her across the face with an open hand. After the victim ran away, Rainey allegedly chased her down because his cell phone was in her bag and grabbed the bag, knocking both of them to the ground.

Officer Ben Tobias, spokesman for the Gainesville PD, said Rainey admitted to trying to grab the purse to get his phone but denied slapping her.

"We do have at least two witnesses that saw that part of it," he said.

Rainey told police that the woman fell out of the car when he went to reach for her purse and that he chased her after she ran away. The two fell to the ground, Rainey said, when he tried to grab the purse again.

BELL: Seau's death serves as reality check

Rainey, who has reportedly been dating the victim for nine months, was arrested by the Gainesville Police Department and taken to Alachua County Jail for booking.

The running back will remain in the Alachua County Jail at least until Friday morning when he will have a first appearance in court, Tobias said.

Rainey went to college in Gainesville, starring as a running back for the University of Florida football team before being selected by the Steelers in the fifth round of the 2012 NFL draft.

This isn't the first time Rainey has spent time in the Alachua County Jail in relation to his conduct with women. Rainey was arrested on a charge of felony aggravated stalking in September 2010 and accepted deferred prosecution for a lesser charge of misdemeanor stalking after he texted his on-again, off-again girlfriend of three years, "Time to Die bitch."

The victim supported the reduction in charges and released a statement following the conclusion of that case.

"We have known Chris Rainey for three years and never during that time has he displayed any violent or threatening behavior towards us or anyone," she wrote. "His actions that night were out of character for reasons unknown to us, which is why we stood up in court on his behalf."

As he was in 2010, Rainey is being represented by Gainesville attorney Huntley Johnson, who frequently represents current or former UF players in court.

Reached Thursday afternoon, Johnson said he had spoken with Rainey but could not provide comment at this time.

Rainey played a sporadic role in the Steelers backfield as a rookie this season, contributing mostly on special teams, where he returned 39 kicks for 1,035 yards as the team's primary kick returner.

January 10th, 2013, 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17