View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who's up next? 
League MVP

Post Who's up next?
In the turkey day thread the discussion has evolved to whether or not Swartz is the guy for the job. Well assuming he is not, who would you go after? Who is the next coach that can take us over the Hump?

Have at gentlemen...

Edit: it has to be a guy that can be brought in though....no fairy tales.

November 27th, 2012, 7:21 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Who's up next?
I think there are some obvious candidates: Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Jim Fassel but I ll throw in two dark horse candidates: Charlie Strong, head coach Louisville, and Jim Tressel.

November 29th, 2012, 7:56 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
I think there are some obvious candidates: Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Jim Fassel but I ll throw in two dark horse candidates: Charlie Strong, head coach Louisville, and Jim Tressel.

I'd be OK with the 1st 3 you mentioned.. not so sure about the others.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 29th, 2012, 9:17 am
Modmin Dude

Isn't the Tuna a bit old to be coaching??? Maybe a consultant, but not sure about coaching anymore.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 29th, 2012, 9:56 am
Team MVP

No thanks on Parcells. Personally, I want nothing old school.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 29th, 2012, 3:09 pm
RIP Killer

Getting a new head coach is a matter of timing. Schwartz simply is not going to be going anywhere anytime soon. Having just gotten an extension, I think he's here at least through the 2014 season. If it comes to pass that in 2015 he gets the axe, then it will be a matter of what HC is or will soon be available at that time. Also, what OC or DC has made such a distinction that they will be a good candidate for the job. I would actually prefer the Lions find someone with a strong offensive game planning back ground for the job next time around. With our offensive weapons being what they are, we need someone who can make the most of that.

December 2nd, 2012, 11:19 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Getting a new head coach is a matter of timing. Schwartz simply is not going to be going anywhere anytime soon. Having just gotten an extension, I think he's here at least through the 2014 season. If it comes to pass that in 2015 he gets the axe, then it will be a matter of what HC is or will soon be available at that time. Also, what OC or DC has made such a distinction that they will be a good candidate for the job. I would actually prefer the Lions find someone with a strong offensive game planning back ground for the job next time around. With our offensive weapons being what they are, we need someone who can make the most of that.

schwartz salary is meaningless compared to the amount of money that goes through the franchise on a yearly basis. the time to make a move is now. if it doesnt happen, consider it a sign that this organization is regressing right back to where they were over the past 10 years. bottom line is that the talent on this team far exceeds that of a 4-8 team. look at the standings, there are only a few teams that I think are actually better than the Lions. this coach does a good job except he cant close out wins playing from ahead. he s too emotional during a game. when a player sees a coach celebrating they think that the game is over. look at chris houston s comments - basically saying that people think the game is over and they let up. schwartz personality is reflected in the play of his team and at this point there is no disputing it. It is time for a change, in 4 seasons he did a good job but the team has hit a wall with him and needs a refresher.

December 2nd, 2012, 11:10 pm
Modmin Dude

Perhaps a potential new addition to the D staff???
PFT wrote:
Eagles fire Jim Washburn
Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2012, 7:23 AM EST

Another loss for the Eagles has led to another termination.

This week, defensive line coach Jim Washburn has been, according to the team, “relieved of his duties.” The move comes only hours after the completion of the team’s eighth straight loss, to the Cowboys.

“Jim is a fine football coach and we appreciate the efforts he gave to this team over the past two years,” coach Andy Reid said. “However, I determined that it was in the team’s best interest that we move in a different direction in terms of trying to maximize the production of that position group. We look forward to having Tommy Brasher back on board to work with the defensive line.”

Yes, Tommy Brasher. The team’s defensive line coach in 1985 and from 1999 through 2005.

Washburn’s departure potentially was driven in part by report that Washburn disagreed with the recent release of defensive end Jason Babin, whom Washburn reportedly called the most recent scapegoat for the Philly free fall. Though Washburn said nothing publicly, he’s not known to be a guy who bites his tongue privately.

Hired in 2011 before the Eagles hired a new defensive coordinator, Washburn brought to town his “wide nine” defensive linw, which glorifies sacks at the expense of run defense. Washburn’s presence arguably limited Reid’s options at defensive coordinator, since whoever took the job would be saddled with a predetermined coordinator.

At least the ongoing stream of pink slips is creating some interest in the final days of the Reid regime. After each game, it’ll be time to conduct an office pool as to which player or coach will be the next to go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -washburn/

PFT wrote:
Report: Washburn had become a “cancer”
Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2012, 8:06 AM EST

In the wake of the surprise firing of Eagles defensive coach Jim Washburn, signs are pointing even more strongly to Washburn’s reaction to last week’s abrupt decision to cut defensive end Jason Babin as the reason for the move

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports, citing an unnamed Eagles assistant, that Washburn had become a “cancer.”

More specifically, Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com reports that Washburn “had become disruptive and difficult, had threatened to quit, and blew up when Babin was released.”

Reid surely knew or at least suspected that Washburn, who already had a reputation for being brash and confrontational, would react loudly. After all, Washburn directly was involved in the decision to bring Babin, who flourished for the first time in his career under Washburn in Tennessee, back to Philadelphia in 2011.

From 2004 through 2009, Babin had 17.5 total sacks. In 2010, his first season with Washburn, Babin had 12.5. The next year with Washburn, Babin had 18.0.

So it was reasonable to regard the duo as joined together more tightly than a normal player and his position coach. And it was reasonable to think that Washburn would go bonkers once Babin was cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -a-cancer/
Yeah, I know it won't happen, but we can dream right?

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 3rd, 2012, 9:38 am
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

schwartz salary is meaningless compared to the amount of money that goes through the franchise on a yearly basis. the time to make a move is now. if it doesnt happen, consider it a sign that this organization is regressing right back to where they were over the past 10 years. bottom line is that the talent on this team far exceeds that of a 4-8 team. look at the standings, there are only a few teams that I think are actually better than the Lions. this coach does a good job except he cant close out wins playing from ahead. he s too emotional during a game. when a player sees a coach celebrating they think that the game is over. look at chris houston s comments - basically saying that people think the game is over and they let up. schwartz personality is reflected in the play of his team and at this point there is no disputing it. It is time for a change, in 4 seasons he did a good job but the team has hit a wall with him and needs a refresher.

IMO this biggest issue will be the egg of the face of Bill Ford Jr., who extended Schwartz. I think it will be tougher for him to admit that he made a mistake (like Sr. did with Millen), than it will be to eat his salary.

The Legend wrote:

No to Parcells, Gruden could be the next stepping stone, but not "the man," at least not in my eyes (much for the same reasons that Schwartz won't get us there, I don't think "Chucky" would either... too emotional)... I like Cowher, but wonder if he's been away too long. I really don't think so, and would love to give him a shot, but I wish we just would have went out and got Jeff Fisher last year. I think a guy like Fisher could do well with this team.

I don't know enough about Charlie Strong, but I can say that I do love the Tressel idea. I know the college thing rarely works, and I don't know if Tressel would be able to wrangle these guys in (you have different disciplinary measures as a college HC, which, IMO, is the hardest part of the transition), but if he could I think he could be a great NFL coach, along the lines of Billicheck. He "bends" the rules enough to not get caught (remember, his role in the OSU "scandal" was just covering up what his players did... he never really himself got busted for anything), and he gets slapped on the wrist when he does "get caught," he makes AWESOME adjustments and molds his coaching style around his available talent (rather than tries to fit a square peg in a round hole, which Schwartz is guilty of on occasion), and he's damn smart.

I think Tressel would be an awesome candidate.

I like Kirk Frenetz too, at least in terms of college coaches that could make the move. I think he does well for what he has at Iowa.

December 3rd, 2012, 1:37 pm
Veteran General Manager

I think that with our experience at a rotating door of coaches in our lifetimes, anyone wanting to change coaches right now has got to be hitting the hooka pipe too much. We are so close to completing the rebuild and some of you want to start all over. Which, is exactly what will happen if we fire the coach.

December 3rd, 2012, 7:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Just like the Rams, Bucs INDY, etc started over with their new coaches this year?

You dont have to start over unless the Coaches you hire want an entirely new Scheme (Say 4-3 to 3-4 conversion) or West Coast to Deep Passing Offense.

We have a Medicore Run gam that can be easily improved by bringing in quality Linemen, a top 8 QB, the #1 receiver. As long as you dont bring in a WestCoast or College Spread offense guy we should be fine. The DC just needs to work with a 4-3 Base (and preferrably not a wide 9 flavor) and it isnt that hard.

Its not like they have to hire a guy to Pull a marinelli and bring in 10 old washed up vets and blow out the entire existing scheme on Offense for some crazy Mike martz poop.

It also doesnt mean a rotating door if we UPGRADE to a top coach. Im not talking about a new guy, or someones 1st HC gig. We need a proven quality coach. Not just to change coaches for the sake of changing coaches.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, a name I havent heard mentioned at all yet is Mike Holmgren. Would you consider him if it was as coach only?

December 3rd, 2012, 8:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
I think that with our experience at a rotating door of coaches in our lifetimes, anyone wanting to change coaches right now has got to be hitting the hooka pipe too much. We are so close to completing the rebuild and some of you want to start all over. Which, is exactly what will happen if we fire the coach.

dude the rebuild was done 2 years ago. the personnel from the 6-10 team isnt a lot different from what we have now. mayhew isnt going to make drastic changes at this point. there going to have to come up for some new plans with guys that they counted on that let them down via injury, age, or for whatever the reason - titus young, best, leshoure, broyles, burleson, kvb, spievey, etc but even despite all that they have enough talent to play with these teams but the coaching staff turtles up at the end. the team is more likely to win when thye play like garbage for 3 quarters and try to come back at the end bc some of them are dialing it down when they are ahead and the coaching staff is showing more confidence in leshoure and an avg offensive line than stafford and johnson at crucial moments.

December 3rd, 2012, 9:58 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

IMO this biggest issue will be the egg of the face of Bill Ford Jr., who extended Schwartz. I think it will be tougher for him to admit that he made a mistake (like Sr. did with Millen), than it will be to eat his salary.

The Legend wrote:

No to Parcells, Gruden could be the next stepping stone, but not "the man," at least not in my eyes (much for the same reasons that Schwartz won't get us there, I don't think "Chucky" would either... too emotional)... I like Cowher, but wonder if he's been away too long. I really don't think so, and would love to give him a shot, but I wish we just would have went out and got Jeff Fisher last year. I think a guy like Fisher could do well with this team.

I don't know enough about Charlie Strong, but I can say that I do love the Tressel idea. I know the college thing rarely works, and I don't know if Tressel would be able to wrangle these guys in (you have different disciplinary measures as a college HC, which, IMO, is the hardest part of the transition), but if he could I think he could be a great NFL coach, along the lines of Billicheck. He "bends" the rules enough to not get caught (remember, his role in the OSU "scandal" was just covering up what his players did... he never really himself got busted for anything), and he gets slapped on the wrist when he does "get caught," he makes AWESOME adjustments and molds his coaching style around his available talent (rather than tries to fit a square peg in a round hole, which Schwartz is guilty of on occasion), and he's damn smart.

I think Tressel would be an awesome candidate.

I like Kirk Frenetz too, at least in terms of college coaches that could make the move. I think he does well for what he has at Iowa.

IMO Parcells would be the best coach for the team but thats the Parcells of 10 years ago. Not sure what he has left but if he even had 1-2 years left I d take it and then maybe one of his assistants turns into Sean Payton Jr. Parcells teaches game situations to his players, not just Xs and Os. The players need to know what is expected of them in various situations in games. Im not sure any coach has ever done this kind of teaching with the Lions. How many times do we see a player jump offsides on 3rd and 4, tackling out of bounds inside of 2 minutes, 3 man rush DL in prevent not keeping the QB contained in the pocket, penalties to stop the clock when the other team is playing with little clock left, etc. If there is a way to shoot yourself in the foot, this Lions team will do it. They need a guy that really teaches them the game, not just Xs and Os and someone who holds them accountable. Logan wouldnt be on the team, and Parcells would get something out of Titus Young or get him the h out of town. He s also one of the better draft influencing coaches and a guy FAs would want to play for. Im not sure if there s a player in the league that still respects Schwart after handshake gate and challenge- gate. Anyway lets proceed as if Parcells is done with coaching.

I dont think Gruden would be the right fit and if we had him I think it would be a case where you have a 3 year window bc he wears on the players quickly. Grudens fiery but usually more in the negative way, you dont see him too happy and fist pumping all game long. Anyway I think its a bad fit with Mayhew bc Mayhew doesnt seem willing to play the salary cap in a way that lets you get more veteran help in the short term in exchange for some dead space a few years down the line.

Cowher I think would be a fit w mayhew but maybe its not a high profile enough of a place for him and I think he would have to restructure the defense significantly.I think he s a great coach but wouldnt make us a lot better until they changed the defensive personnel to fit a 3-4.

Fassel - I actually think he s a possible fit but prob not as popular.

Brian Billick - I think he s awful but could probably put together a decent staff.

Charlie Strong - he s going to take a SEC job.

Tressel - he s a great football coach everywhere he s been and knows how to use talent.

December 3rd, 2012, 10:17 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

dude the rebuild was done 2 years ago. the personnel from the 6-10 team isnt a lot different from what we have now. mayhew isnt going to make drastic changes at this point. there going to have to come up for some new plans with guys that they counted on that let them down via injury, age, or for whatever the reason - titus young, best, leshoure, broyles, burleson, kvb, spievey, etc but even despite all that they have enough talent to play with these teams but the coaching staff turtles up at the end. the team is more likely to win when thye play like garbage for 3 quarters and try to come back at the end bc some of them are dialing it down when they are ahead and the coaching staff is showing more confidence in leshoure and an avg offensive line than stafford and johnson at crucial moments.

You can't seriously believe the rebuild is complete. They have barely touched the DB's outside of 3rd rounders and later. That is only going to add youth to the bottom of the roster and special teams. And then you get what you seen yesterday. The rebuild is not complete until they get a solid #1 CB and a solid #1 Safety. I prefer the CB 1st round and Safety 2nd round because it is far easier to get a good Safety in the 2nd than it is a CB.

December 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

You can't seriously believe the rebuild is complete. They have barely touched the DB's outside of 3rd rounders and later. That is only going to add youth to the bottom of the roster and special teams. And then you get what you seen yesterday. The rebuild is not complete until they get a solid #1 CB and a solid #1 Safety. I prefer the CB 1st round and Safety 2nd round because it is far easier to get a good Safety in the 2nd than it is a CB.

they didnt rebuild those spots when they brough in Houston, Wright, Berry, Delmas, Spievey etc? They were happy with those guys but many of them failed them for whatever reason. Now they need to retool at some spots but they havent shown that those spots are a huge priority. Sadly I do think the secondary needs help but if they keep the current staff there will be more pressure to refresh that DL where KVB is no longer cutting it, Corey Williams is having a down year and prospects Jackson and Young havent taken the next step in development.

December 3rd, 2012, 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next