View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Getting ready for: The Colts 
Modmin Dude

Post Getting ready for: The Colts
Freep wrote:
Lions' TE Brandon Pettigrew working to correct fumbling issue
He knows problem diminishes his receiving contribution
November 30, 2012

Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew was having one of his best games of the season Thanksgiving Day.

Then it happened. Again.

The Lions looked like they were about to end the game quickly in overtime. They were at Houston's 40-yard line after one play when Pettigrew caught a short pass for 8 yards. Houston safety Danieal Manning then swooped in and ripped the ball out of Pettigrew's hands and stole the Lions' momentum.

It was the third time this season Pettigrew has had the ball stripped from him. It appears he's developing a reputation around the NFL.

"If I fumble, I make myself susceptible to that," he said. "That's on me. It's nobody else's responsibility to hold the ball high and tight, except me. So if I put that on film, then that's their job to study the film and see that I'm susceptible to that."

While the Texans didn't score on the turnover, Tennessee did after Alterraun Verner stripped the ball from Pettigrew and ran 72 yards for a touchdown Sept. 23. Chicago's Charles Tillman also stripped Pettigrew of a ball that went out of bounds Oct. 22 and didn't cost the Lions possession.

Pettigrew hardly could find fault with opponents trying to exploit his struggles.

"That's anybody, and that's just being smart, being able to know who you can get a play made out of," he said. "I put that on film. It's going to be my job to fix it."

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said Thursday that Pettigrew has been working on improving his ball security.

"Brandon's got a tough job," Linehan said. "He's catching the ball in a lot of traffic and gets hit quite a bit. So I think that as we move forward, he knows it's not going to be easy and he's got to continue to work harder at that, but everybody's got to make it a little better.

"You can put the ball in a little bit better spot or give the quarterback a little more time so he can let the play extend a little longer. If we all kind of focus on that, I think we'll all get better at what we need to get better at."

Pettigrew is the Lions' second-leading receiver. Only Calvin Johnson (73) and Pettigrew (54) have more than 33 catches. Against Houston, Pettigrew had one of his best games of the season with eight catches for 74 yards.

But the fumble came on his final catch. Despite the strong start, Pettigrew had a hard time shaking the finish. That could be a metaphor for his career: plenty of promise that had fallen short of greatness.

"It was obvious I was having a decent game up until late," he said. "Didn't finish. I am big on how I start the game, but I'm big on finishing. I didn't finish, obviously, and that's disappointing.

"You're only as good as your last performance. I'm going to have to go out and put a performance in."

Contact Carlos Monarrez: 313-222-6697 or cmonarrez@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez

http://www.freep.com/article/20121130/S ... it%20Lions

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 30th, 2012, 2:12 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Getting ready for: The Colts
Freep wrote:
Lions' Corey Williams, Louis Delmas miss practice but hope to play
12:25 PM, November 30, 2012

Safety Louis Delmas and defensive tackle Corey Williams sat out Detroit Lions practice today, in attempts to get them ready for Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

Delmas and Williams have been dealing with knee injuries most of the season. Delmas has missed seven games this year but returned to the starting lineup against the Houston Texans last week. He couldn't finish the game.

Williams has missed three straight games but practiced Thursday.

Cornerback Jonte Green was back at practice today, after missing the last two days with an illness, and Jeff Backus (hamstring) went through stretching drills but didn't do much in line drills during the portion of practice open to the media.

Riley Reiff will start at left tackle if Backus is forced to miss his second straight game.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Free Press beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 3 p.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here. Then come back Sunday afternoon, as special writer Nick Meyer for a live blog of the Lions-Colts game. Don't forget to share your music suggestions with Justin Durant. And make your NFL picks here.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 30th, 2012, 2:14 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
Freep wrote:
November 30, 2012

Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew was having one of his best games of the season Thanksgiving Day.

Then it happened. Again.

The Lions looked like they were about to end the game quickly in overtime. They were at Houston's 40-yard line after one play when Pettigrew caught a short pass for 8 yards. Houston safety Danieal Manning then swooped in and ripped the ball out of Pettigrew's hands and stole the Lions' momentum.

It was the third time this season Pettigrew has had the ball stripped from him. It appears he's developing a reputation around the NFL.

"If I fumble, I make myself susceptible to that," he said. "That's on me. It's nobody else's responsibility to hold the ball high and tight, except me. So if I put that on film, then that's their job to study the film and see that I'm susceptible to that."

While the Texans didn't score on the turnover, Tennessee did after Alterraun Verner stripped the ball from Pettigrew and ran 72 yards for a touchdown Sept. 23. Chicago's Charles Tillman also stripped Pettigrew of a ball that went out of bounds Oct. 22 and didn't cost the Lions possession.

Pettigrew hardly could find fault with opponents trying to exploit his struggles.

"That's anybody, and that's just being smart, being able to know who you can get a play made out of," he said. "I put that on film. It's going to be my job to fix it."

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said Thursday that Pettigrew has been working on improving his ball security.

"Brandon's got a tough job," Linehan said. "He's catching the ball in a lot of traffic and gets hit quite a bit. So I think that as we move forward, he knows it's not going to be easy and he's got to continue to work harder at that, but everybody's got to make it a little better.

"You can put the ball in a little bit better spot or give the quarterback a little more time so he can let the play extend a little longer. If we all kind of focus on that, I think we'll all get better at what we need to get better at."

Pettigrew is the Lions' second-leading receiver. Only Calvin Johnson (73) and Pettigrew (54) have more than 33 catches. Against Houston, Pettigrew had one of his best games of the season with eight catches for 74 yards.

But the fumble came on his final catch. Despite the strong start, Pettigrew had a hard time shaking the finish. That could be a metaphor for his career: plenty of promise that had fallen short of greatness.

"It was obvious I was having a decent game up until late," he said. "Didn't finish. I am big on how I start the game, but I'm big on finishing. I didn't finish, obviously, and that's disappointing.

"You're only as good as your last performance. I'm going to have to go out and put a performance in."

Contact Carlos Monarrez: 313-222-6697 or cmonarrez@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez

What's he doing about his drops!?!?!?

November 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Veteran General Manager

It kills me to say this guys. But, I think we lose this one. If this game had been in the first 4 or 5 weeks, we win. But, Luck has had time to get used to the League and the Colt's are nowhere near as inept as they appeared last year. They are in the thick of a playoff chase. We are done. Last week stuck a fork in us. The Colt's need to win to keep in the chase. When a team that needs a win plays the Lions..... Bomb the Defensive Secondary.

November 30th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
It kills me to say this guys. But, I think we lose this one. If this game had been in the first 4 or 5 weeks, we win. But, Luck has had time to get used to the League and the Colt's are nowhere near as inept as they appeared last year. They are in the thick of a playoff chase. We are done. Last week stuck a fork in us. The Colt's need to win to keep in the chase. When a team that needs a win plays the Lions..... Bomb the Defensive Secondary.

I disagree. I think we win this, and win it by a few scores. Colts don't seem to play very good on the road, and the Lions usually bring it at home. Colts defense is weak going up against a powerful offense.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 30th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

I've been in conversation with Nate Palmer #10 on the Colts, a WR. I told him that I wished him a good game, but Go Lions.

He's a local boy who played for NIU, then was picked up by SF as UDFA and then signed by Indy after their WR went down to a knee injury.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 30th, 2012, 7:03 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Lions win by 13.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 30th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Position Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Freep wrote:
November 30, 2012

Then it happened. Again.

SOFTEST TE IN THE NFL. The man is an embarassment

December 1st, 2012, 12:15 am
Team MVP

I say lions win by two scores.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Last edited by kdsberman on December 2nd, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 2nd, 2012, 12:30 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I feel pretty good about this game. I hope the whole coaching staff now realizes that they should try completely new schemes on both sides of the ball that MAY work, since there is NOTHING to lose at this point.

Lions get creative, win 28-17

December 2nd, 2012, 12:34 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I disagree. I think we win this, and win it by a few scores. Colts don't seem to play very good on the road, and the Lions usually bring it at home. Colts defense is weak going up against a powerful offense.

Did you see where they went at hammer time? They went after our weakest link at CB. And they won because they did. After a Safety picked Luck off a couple times they stayed away from the Safeties and found easier targets at CB. The story will never change until we get a shut down CB and make Houston our #2 CB. Heck, we don't even know that Houston is any good. He might just be the shiniest turd in the toilet bowl.

December 2nd, 2012, 11:51 pm
RIP Killer

You seriously just said they were avoiding don F'ing Carey???

Wow.

December 3rd, 2012, 2:08 am
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:

Wow.

In all fairness Carey made some rally nice plays at the end of the game...

December 3rd, 2012, 9:28 am
Veteran General Manager

conversion02 wrote:

Wow.

AFTER HE PICKED LUCK OFF TWICE? Yes I am.

December 3rd, 2012, 7:27 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Wow.

AFTER HE PICKED LUCK OFF TWICE? Yes I am.

Please dont tell me there is a Don Carey bandwagon starting here.

December 3rd, 2012, 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next