View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 KC player commits suicide 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: KC player commits suicide
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I understand your point 9ers, but do you think this is brain trauma related maybe?....

GOOD GRIEF!!!! Is everything going to be blamed on concussions now? Isn't it possible that some people just do some very evil things just for the sake of doing evil things. Adolph Hitler must have fell and bumped his head when he was a kid. After all, people aren't capable of doing hideous things unless they were the victim of a concussion, right?

Because the action does not fit the person at all. people are capable of hideous act on thier own but this was WAAAY out of left field. I dont even think the guy had a rap sheet so ya I guess I am a little curious why a soft spoken guy like him would shoot his wife in fronnt of his mom and than drive to kill himself AT ARROWHEAD STADIUM. I would be surprised if it was not TBI related.

PS. Of course he had concussions. He's a small LB who has played in every game the last 4 years due to his willingness to sacrifice his body. He's had his bell ring constantly(and I did watch him play quite a bit)

December 3rd, 2012, 5:28 am
Modmin Dude

Does it 'have' to be related to concussions? No. Could it be related to concussions? Absolutely

Reuters wrote:
Study finds pattern in brain injuries linked to contact sports

(Reuters) - Years of hits to the head in football or other contact sports lead to a distinct pattern of brain damage that begins with an athlete having trouble focusing and can eventually progress to aggression and dementia, a study released on Monday says.

Researchers examining the brains of 85 former athletes and soldiers who sustained multiple mild head injuries over their lives found the condition they developed, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, came in an "ordered and predictable" four-stage pattern.

The condition, which causes depression and erratic behavior, has attracted public concern in recent years following the high-profile suicides of former professional athletes.

Worries about chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, have prompted youth and college football programs around the United States to take steps intended to limit the number of hits to the head athletes experience in practice and games. The National Football League has banned the most dangerous helmet-on-helmet hits.

The latest study, published in the journal Brain by researchers affiliated with Boston University School of Medicine, spells out how the condition progresses through four stages that can begin with mild memory loss, progress to cognitive failure and eventually bring on aggression.

Symptoms of stage one CTE include headache and loss of attention. Stage two sufferers may face depression, outbursts of anger and short-term memory loss. Those in stage three encounter executive dysfunction and cognitive impairment. Symptoms of the most severe fourth stage include dementia, aggression and difficulty finding words.

DEMENTIA PUGILISTICA

Researchers are now able to chart CTE's progression in the brains of dead people who had suffered from the condition originally known as "dementia pugilistica" for its occurrence in boxers. But they remain unable to diagnose it in the living.

"Until we do that, we can't fully understand the risk factors, we can't understand how common it is," said Robert Stern, a Boston University professor and co-author of the study. "The goal would be to have a variety of measures of this predictive pattern in the brain while someone is alive."

Stern said he was working on tests that would diagnose the condition early, by using magnetic resonance imaging or testing for specific proteins linked to the problem.

The research found CTE was closely linked to the number of years an athlete played football, but not directly tied to the number of concussions sustained.

That suggests a steady diet of mild hits to the head, rather than a handful of more traumatic injuries
, brings on CTE, Stern said.

He cautioned the condition would not develop in all athletes and suggested that concerns about CTE should not prompt parents of young players to pull their children from the sport, though he said parents should closely monitor how the game is played.

"We don't want people to feel that they're going to get this early dementia just because they had a concussion or two," Stern said. "This is a disease of total, overall repetitive brain trauma."

On Saturday, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend and then shot himself in front of the team's coach and general manager in an act that shocked fans of the National Football League. While CTE can bring on confusion, depression and violent behavior, there was no evidence Belcher's actions were related to brain injury.

Belcher was only 25 and had played in the league four seasons. Other prominent suicides involved players with longer careers including Junior Seau in May, Ray Easterling in April and Dave Duerson last year.

"An individual's suicide and aggressive behavior at such a young age is so multi-factoral, it is such a complex issue, that you can't jump to the conclusion that CTE is the cause of any individual's behavior," Stern said.

(Reporting By Scott Malone; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Xavier Briand)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/ ... 2X20121203
I wonder if the family will donate his brain to science research.

That said, this could be one of those cases where we'll never know the real cause..........

Thoughts and prayers to all those effected by this tragedy.

December 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

Killwill25 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I understand your point 9ers, but do you think this is brain trauma related maybe?....

GOOD GRIEF!!!! Is everything going to be blamed on concussions now? Isn't it possible that some people just do some very evil things just for the sake of doing evil things. Adolph Hitler must have fell and bumped his head when he was a kid. After all, people aren't capable of doing hideous things unless they were the victim of a concussion, right?

Because the action does not fit the person at all. people are capable of hideous act on thier own but this was WAAAY out of left field. I dont even think the guy had a rap sheet so ya I guess I am a little curious why a soft spoken guy like him would shoot his wife in fronnt of his mom and than drive to kill himself AT ARROWHEAD STADIUM. I would be surprised if it was not TBI related.

PS. Of course he had concussions. He's a small LB who has played in every game the last 4 years due to his willingness to sacrifice his body. He's had his bell ring constantly(and I did watch him play quite a bit)

Or, it could be that the mother of his child wasn't letting him see his child and it angered him enough to go overboard. We don't know yet. I just get sick of everything humans do getting blamed on whatever flavor of the month socio-psycotic disorder. Sometimes someone just pisses someone else off a bit too much and this kind of thing happens.

December 3rd, 2012, 7:14 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Or, it could be that the mother of his child wasn't letting him see his child and it angered him enough to go overboard. We don't know yet. I just get sick of everything humans do getting blamed on whatever flavor of the month socio-psycotic disorder. Sometimes someone just pisses someone else off a bit too much and this kind of thing happens.

He was living with her so I doubt thats the reason. They were supposedly fighting over her coming home late from a concert.

December 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

He was living with her so I doubt thats the reason. They were supposedly fighting over her coming home late from a concert.

So, maybe he thought she was cheating on him. And I thought that they were on again, off again, lovers. That's what the news has said.

December 3rd, 2012, 10:26 pm
League MVP

probably a lot of the reports are wrong, thats why we are seeing difft things. this one from cnnsi says that belcher might ve been cheating instead or also...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... &eref=sihp

December 3rd, 2012, 11:39 pm
QB Coach

I'm sorry folks but I need to ask a question.

For all of these "brain trauma" excuses that are now coming out and have become a fad answer for deviant human behavior, can I ask where were all of these behaviors in the 60's, 70's, 80's. I know the convenient answer will be that "they didn't report it like they do now".

Is there any evidence to proove that people like Mean Joe Green, Lyle Alzado, and other football stars performed this kind of deviant behavior post football?

I would say that it isn't the football, but the revelation of our real human nature. Our society is filled with sex, graphic and ultra-violent video games, and movies, all of which have played their part in removing the innocence of our society. It is my belief that we are just seeing the reality of what we've created and our base human nature continues to reveal itself and we don't like looking at the mess.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 8th, 2012, 11:48 am
Varsity Captain

The name O.J. Simpson ring a bell? No pun intended

December 10th, 2012, 7:02 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I would say that it isn't the football, but the revelation of our real human nature. Our society is filled with sex, graphic and ultra-violent video games, and movies, all of which have played their part in removing the innocence of our society. It is my belief that we are just seeing the reality of what we've created and our base human nature continues to reveal itself and we don't like looking at the mess.

Funny, despite the recent advent of graphic video games and the proliferation of graphic movies over the last 20 years - crime rates have actually reversed in that time. So the "reality" of what we are seeing isn't the picture you paint, but rather the exact opposite.

BTW - if you think we humans have really gotten much worse - go back and reread the good book. It is full of sex, murder, slavery, etc...

Funny thing is, as we move further and further away from Faith and traditional American values - we actually become a much kinder and safer community. Chew on that one my friend...

December 11th, 2012, 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
Funny thing is, as we move further and further away from Faith and traditional American values - we actually become a much kinder and safer community. Chew on that one my friend...

Not to start something here and if it does itd be best to move it to its own thread, but the book/movie called Freakonomics has a very interesting Theory on the unexpected Decline of Crime in the 90s based on the Surge of the 80s amd it centers around the legalization of abortion via Roe v Wade. They propose that Giving women the ability to abort vs becoming a parent of an unwanted child prevented those "unwanted children" from having bad parents/no parents which drastically increases the likelihood of violent/criminal behavior when those kids reach "Prime Crime year" of 18-25. Id recommend reading/watching it for anyone curious, but they make some pretty insightful pts even though its almost impossible to actually prove where the drop in crime came from.

December 11th, 2012, 6:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Not to start something here and if it does itd be best to move it to its own thread, but the book/movie called Freakonomics has a very interesting Theory on the unexpected Decline of Crime in the 90s based on the Surge of the 80s amd it centers around the legalization of abortion via Roe v Wade. They propose that Giving women the ability to abort vs becoming a parent of an unwanted child prevented those "unwanted children" from having bad parents/no parents which drastically increases the likelihood of violent/criminal behavior when those kids reach "Prime Crime year" of 18-25. Id recommend reading/watching it for anyone curious, but they make some pretty insightful pts even though its almost impossible to actually prove where the drop in crime came from.

There have been books that have came out and debunked the "science" used in Freakonomics, but it is still a good book.

Pablo wrote:

Pablo, I don't know if I can agree with that. Women are now more likely than men to cheat, we've become FAR more superficial, we now place a higher degree of "worth" on looks than brains, education is down the toilet, etc.

December 11th, 2012, 7:09 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Funny, despite the recent advent of graphic video games and the proliferation of graphic movies over the last 20 years - crime rates have actually reversed in that time. So the "reality" of what we are seeing isn't the picture you paint, but rather the exact opposite.

BTW - if you think we humans have really gotten much worse - go back and reread the good book. It is full of sex, murder, slavery, etc...

Aswww come on! Lol that's a cheap shot and ya know it.

Humankind as gotten kinder and safer as its gotten intelligent. Look at some 3rd world countries. Where the people are uneducated crime and violence thrives. Blaming the dark ages on faith is like blaiming video games for all of today's violence. Lol

December 11th, 2012, 8:58 pm
QB Coach

I've seen your pretty charts, and congratulate you for knowing where to get them, taking the time to compile them, and then blessing us by shoveling that same ol' sh....tuff here.

What was it Maya Angelou said, something to the affect of "the truth is often obscured by the facts."

What you're pushing, and the "facts" to back it up are based on someone else's work. What I'm looking at is the violence of the society, the lack of respect for human life, and therefore the lack of worth that human life is, well, worth.

Stories like and 8 year old shoots his 5 year old brother, mall gunman calls out to be "the shooter" and kills two people then himself, abortion being fast tracked and funded on demand with or without parents consent.

So you can peddle your facts, and color your charts, and make your claims but the reality does not match the song.

Human life is now expendable and cheap. Our video games (and I like them too) try and portray a view of combat as close to real as possible, head shots and gore. But miraculously you "regenerate". Put that in the hands of your children and tell me that their young minds can comprehend the meaning and worth of human life. How hard did you work to get them? Are their lives meaningless?

You and Wags have talked a lot about love, and how we should demonstrate it more often, and I agree. Demonstrate love, buy someone a meal, fix something that's broken, pay someone's bill, not because you have to, or should, but because you wish to love them.

You will be taken advantage of, that is what WJB rants against concerning the shoes given to the homeless man, BUT, I would care to answer as the Bishop does at Homeboy Industries in Compton, "You can't be taken advantage of, when you give your advantage away."

So while I'm assuming that you have a nice office job, and live in a decent neighborhood where your interaction with the "disadvantaged, or entitlement" class is not a regular occurrence, down here in the trenches the story is different. It's hard, it's brutal, and lethal if you're not able to keep the pace. Living along one of the major drug corridors of the US, between major criminal factions, and being just a small enough town that people hide out from the Big time city, the innocence of small town America gets washed away pretty quickly in the trenches. The reality is much more real, and I highly doubt that some metrosexual, suit wearing reporter is going to venture in to the inner city for any true fact finding by experience, as compared to calling the local P.D. to get the stats on violent crime. Most of the people in my area of expertise are: 1. scared of the police (don't want to be deported) 2. scared of the repricussions for calling the police, 3. don't trust the police to do anything about it, 4. and by the time the police arrive the situation is over with for the most part, 5. justice will be better served if I do it myself. So with these 5 things, I would hazard to guess that a lot of violent crimes go UNREPORTED.

That's why there called statistics. They only document what's reported so it's little more than an educated guess.

Oh and since you took a shot at the "good book", let me ask you if society is so much more gentle now, why is it that when the 10 commandments and Bibles were allowed in schools we didn't have many of the statistics that we do now?

1950's: chewing gum, talking in class, yadda yadda, were some of the major infractions

Today: rape, drunkeness, drugs, murder, fights, teacher/child sexual relations

Yup, you're right, we're safer now!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 13th, 2012, 9:48 am
Modmin Dude

Get back on topic of the KC player or this thread will be closed.

December 13th, 2012, 10:21 am
QB Coach

it IS on topic, the comparison or question was made that if the reasoning behind this players poor choice was due to head injuries then why doesn't the evidence of years of football support that claim.

It then stepped into criminal behaviors of society as a counterpoint that it is a SOCIETAL issue/ Human BEHAVIOR issue, and not said head injuries.

You've got to allow some leeway for discussion, or is it no soup for you?

December 13th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next