View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Schwartz 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Shwartz has got to go
I.E. wrote:
The team isn't going to win under this guy. He's a punk, has no leadership skills, and he's in over his head from a coaching perspective. He's doing as bad a job with the Lions as Singletary did with the Niners.

Nailed exactly how I feel about this Staff. Instilled some Ok principles, pulled us out of gutter, dont know what to do next. I truly think we have the talent base that the right coach could come in and win with.

December 3rd, 2012, 1:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I said all of that last year, before we signed his extension, and everyone told me I was crazy.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

December 3rd, 2012, 2:30 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I said all of that last year, before we signed his extension, and everyone told me I was crazy.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

At least you admit that I was right... Admitting it is the first step... You'll come around...

December 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I agree that it may not be the best course of action to just fire a coaching staff and try another rebuild, but when the coordinators can't call plays to a) get a first down and/or b) stop a team from 75 yds out from scoring a TD, you've got a problem. You also have consistently seen that this team doesn't win the battle of "intangibles". Good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. What type of team they are ultimately falls on the shoulders of the head coach.

Is the talent on this team better than a 4-8 team? Most definitely. Why aren't they winning games?

I don't want to break any major news here. But......

The other teams are paid to make plays and win games also. They win games against us because we have 1 major flaw, DB's. AND, they exploit it every week.

December 3rd, 2012, 7:38 pm
Walk On

And a coach who blows games singlehandedly, in addition to not setting a tone for his players. Contrast with Tom Coughlin.

The guy is a fiery guy, and no doubt has been good for lifting the spirits of a team coming off 0-16 ... and now it is time to replace him with someone who can take the talent those bad seasons afforded the team, and win constistently and convincingly.

December 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

From the Cyber GM Forum - "Who"s Next?" thread in response to How New Coaches = Starting over

DJ-B wrote:
Just like the Rams, Bucs INDY, etc started over with their new coaches this year?

You dont have to start over unless the Coaches you hire want an entirely new Scheme (Say 4-3 to 3-4 conversion) or West Coast to Deep Passing Offense.

We have a Medicore Run gam that can be easily improved by bringing in quality Linemen, a top 8 QB, the #1 receiver. As long as you dont bring in a WestCoast or College Spread offense guy we should be fine. The DC just needs to work with a 4-3 Base (and preferrably not a wide 9 flavor) and it isnt that hard.

Its not like they have to hire a guy to Pull a marinelli and bring in 10 old washed up vets and blow out the entire existing scheme on Offense for some crazy Mike martz poop.

It also doesnt mean a rotating door if we UPGRADE to a top coach. Im not talking about a new guy, or someones 1st HC gig. We need a proven quality coach. Not just to change coaches for the sake of changing coaches.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, a name I havent heard mentioned at all yet is Mike Holmgren. Would you consider him if it was as coach only?

December 3rd, 2012, 8:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
And a coach who blows games singlehandedly, in addition to not setting a tone for his players. Contrast with Tom Coughlin.

The guy is a fiery guy, and no doubt has been good for lifting the spirits of a team coming off 0-16 ... and now it is time to replace him with someone who can take the talent those bad seasons afforded the team, and win constistently and convincingly.

couldnt agree more

December 3rd, 2012, 9:45 pm
Heisman Winner

I liked Schwartz until this year and the same mental/time management mistakes have continued to happen.

How many times are we calling timeouts in the 3rd quarter? Just did it again Sunday... I know you can sit back and say oh we didn't need the TO anyway etc etc, but in reality we could have potentially used it to set up better defensive plays at the end of the game.

Did you guys see the Colts execute that 90 second drive? The Lions sometimes look half retarded with even more time than that. Guys not lining up right away, play not coming in or something. It's the little mistakes like that, that pile up to make us 4-8. I don't see how anyone can call us a bad team, all losses by 8 points or less. In every game except the niners game we are 1 play away from winning. We are on the cusp but need a better coach and coordinators to take us to the next step.

December 3rd, 2012, 9:48 pm
Team MVP

hamma77 wrote:
I liked Schwartz until this year and the same mental/time management mistakes have continued to happen.

How many times are we calling timeouts in the 3rd quarter? Just did it again Sunday... I know you can sit back and say oh we didn't need the TO anyway etc etc, but in reality we could have potentially used it to set up better defensive plays at the end of the game.

Did you guys see the Colts execute that 90 second drive? The Lions sometimes look half retarded with even more time than that. Guys not lining up right away, play not coming in or something. It's the little mistakes like that, that pile up to make us 4-8. I don't see how anyone can call us a bad team, all losses by 8 points or less. In every game except the niners game we are 1 play away from winning. We are on the cusp but need a better coach and coordinators to take us to the next step.

I think there is too much loyalty in the organization and will bet money next year we will have the same head coach, same OC, and same DC.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 3rd, 2012, 9:52 pm

kdsberman wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

I think there is too much loyalty in the organization and will bet money next year we will have the same head coach, same OC, and same DC.

Agreed. Id be willing to give Schwartz 1 more season if he replaces Linehan and the wide 9 (with or w/o Gunther) but would also be fine with him going now. But it wont happen. We could lose out and will still have the same staff next year, but next year should be the barometer for Ford JR, so when we go 6-10 to 8-8 next season again they will replace them.

December 3rd, 2012, 10:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

Agreed. Id be willing to give Schwartz 1 more season if he replaces Linehan and the wide 9 (with or w/o Gunther) but would also be fine with him going now. But it wont happen. We could lose out and will still have the same staff next year, but next year should be the barometer for Ford JR, so when we go 6-10 to 8-8 next season again they will replace them.

Saw an interview with Schwartz about the Wide 9 and he said they developed it in Tennessee because they had smaller ends. Avril also fits that mold. If Avril is gone, I'm not you'll see as much of it.

December 3rd, 2012, 11:02 pm

Let Shawn Jefferson run the offense and Kyle Vanden Bosch be the defensive coordinater. \:D/

December 4th, 2012, 12:12 am
National Champion

The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

couldnt agree more

I hate to say it, but I do too. It was as if Schwartz hit a wall with making the playoffs last year, and is no longer effective.

December 4th, 2012, 9:28 am
Pop Warner Vet

Those defending the position of keeping Schwartz around are not speaking about anything that Schwartz can actually provide as a coach, but rather to fears about "starting over" and "going backward".
This argument carries no weight. Poor leadership is poor leadership. Keeping them around for fear of change only prolongs the losing atmosphere (see Matt Millen). A good organization recognizes when their leadership is failing and corrects it.

December 5th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

jcmessing wrote:
Those defending the position of keeping Schwartz around are not speaking about anything that Schwartz can actually provide as a coach, but rather to fears about "starting over" and "going backward".
This argument carries no weight. Poor leadership is poor leadership. Keeping them around for fear of change only prolongs the losing atmosphere (see Matt Millen). A good organization recognizes when their leadership is failing and corrects it.

It's not fear when it's just common sense. Bringing in a new nobody who hasn't yet expirienced the hump we're trying to get over will not help this team. We have the talent to be playoff contenders, bringing in a guy who is not used to that level of pressure would not help this team bit. It would hinder it.

December 5th, 2012, 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next