View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 1:55 am



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How much of an impact would this have to the defense? 
Author Message
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
Find a way to convince Gunther to switch to 3-4. Add Manti Te'o, trade up and grab Jonathan Banks/Dee Milliner. Convert to a 3-4;

DE: Suh, L Jackson
NT: Hill/3rd-4th round DT
DE: Fairley, Willie
SLB: Durant/Whitehead/R-Lewis
MLB: Te'o/T-Lewis
MLB: Tulloch/T-Lewis
WLB: Levy/Whitehead/R-Lewis
CB: Houston
CB: Bentley/Milliner/Banks
Slot : Bentley/Milliner/Banks/Greenwood/Jonte
FS: Delmas
SS: Speivey or a 2nd round pick S

This would allow MUCH more man coverage since Te'o is great at it and Houston is more of a man than zone CB, and Milliner/Banks are both solid in man on the outside. Heavy blitzing.

_________________
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 5:56 pm
Profile
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
Shotty wrote:
Find a way to convince Gunther to switch to 3-4. Add Manti Te'o, trade up and grab Jonathan Banks/Dee Milliner. Convert to a 3-4;

DE: Suh, L Jackson
NT: Hill/3rd-4th round DT
DE: Fairley, Willie
SLB: Durant
MLB: Te'o
MLB: Tulloch
WLB: Levy
CB: Houston
CB: Bentley/Milliner/Banks
Slot : Bentley/Milliner/Banks/Greenwood/Jonte
FS: Delmas
SS: Speivey or a 2nd round pick S

This would allow MUCH more man coverage since Te'o is great at it and Houston is more of a man than zone CB, and Milliner/Banks are both solid in man on the outside. Heavy blitzing.


FWIW, Willie Young would probably also be better as a pass rushing LB than a straight DE.

I'm not saying I like the move (esp since it seems like teams are going away from the 3-4, and I HATE that the Lions are always "following an old trend), but I do think Suh and Willie would be better suited for it, and it allows us to dump Avril with little to no consequence.


December 3rd, 2012, 6:01 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Find a way to convince Gunther to switch to 3-4. Add Manti Te'o, trade up and grab Jonathan Banks/Dee Milliner. Convert to a 3-4;

DE: Suh, L Jackson
NT: Hill/3rd-4th round DT
DE: Fairley, Willie
SLB: Durant
MLB: Te'o
MLB: Tulloch
WLB: Levy
CB: Houston
CB: Bentley/Milliner/Banks
Slot : Bentley/Milliner/Banks/Greenwood/Jonte
FS: Delmas
SS: Speivey or a 2nd round pick S

This would allow MUCH more man coverage since Te'o is great at it and Houston is more of a man than zone CB, and Milliner/Banks are both solid in man on the outside. Heavy blitzing.


FWIW, Willie Young would probably also be better as a pass rushing LB than a straight DE.

I'm not saying I like the move (esp since it seems like teams are going away from the 3-4, and I HATE that the Lions are always "following an old trend), but I do think Suh and Willie would be better suited for it, and it allows us to dump Avril with little to no consequence.


The Avril thing is the main reason we'd benefit so much from it. Suh would be so dominant with more options at end, and I'm positive the run defense would help since he'd be amazing at containing the edge.

_________________
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3308
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
No way we could get both Te'o AND Milliner without giving up the farm.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 3rd, 2012, 6:41 pm
Profile
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


December 3rd, 2012, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10286
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
F it, go with a 5-2. Levy is a non factor anyway, might as well put SLH on the line and take the double teams away from suh.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 6:59 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3308
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 3rd, 2012, 7:16 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.


So please explain how the Steelers defense is #1 this year when playing without Polamolu almost all year?

_________________
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 7:34 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7260
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
conversion02 wrote:
F it, go with a 5-2. Levy is a non factor anyway, might as well put SLH on the line and take the double teams away from suh.


I have been calling for that since last year. Our D-line destroys the O-line every time we do it. It puts more of our greatest defensive strength on the field and pulls a deficiency off the field, (Levy - however, I think Durant is just as much of a deficiency as Levy). The 2 Linebackers would only have to be responsible for covering the TE's.

Avril-----Fairley-----Hill-------Suh-------KVB/Young

I love everything about this idea. QB's would drop a brick of crap in their drawers as soon as they see Detroit on their schedule. There is not an offensive line in the world that could protect against that Dline.


December 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7260
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.


CB is our biggest problem. CB is where QB's target when they have to have a TD. Just like yesterday.


December 3rd, 2012, 8:03 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3308
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.


So please explain how the Steelers defense is #1 this year when playing without Polamolu almost all year?


Because at least their safeties are serviceable. The way you're talking is like the safety position is the most important position on the field. How can you seriously stick up for the Lions safeties?

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 3rd, 2012, 9:06 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.


So please explain how the Steelers defense is #1 this year when playing without Polamolu almost all year?


Because at least their safeties are serviceable. The way you're talking is like the safety position is the most important position on the field. How can you seriously stick up for the Lions safeties?


Any safeties you're looking at highly in FA or possibly in the draft right now?

_________________
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Profile
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Joined: January 13th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Posts: 21
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
Id like to see Suh line up in the mike position like he did in his rookie year. He got like four sacks that way.

Levy/Suh/Durant
kvb/williams/fairley/avril

have Suh blitz and take the open lane.. And can u imagine the WR coming across the middle and thinking what if suh is there lol LIGHTS OUT!


December 3rd, 2012, 9:27 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3308
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I posted what I think the biggest benefit would be, but I have to add, I think the biggest problem with this system is the play of our safeties. We could have a good front 7 and still get killed in the middle of the field deep, all day, with our current crop.


Agree. Safeties our biggest problem.


So please explain how the Steelers defense is #1 this year when playing without Polamolu almost all year?


Because at least their safeties are serviceable. The way you're talking is like the safety position is the most important position on the field. How can you seriously stick up for the Lions safeties?


Any safeties you're looking at highly in FA or possibly in the draft right now?


Honestly I dont even know which safeties are FA's except Dashon Gholston. As far as the draft, right now there doesnt seem to be a safety worth a top 10 pick. Which is why i really want Te'o, a need with a lot of talent. Same can be said for Millinner.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 3rd, 2012, 9:31 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: How much of an impact would this have to the defense?
FORD_FIELD wrote:
Id like to see Suh line up in the mike position like he did in his rookie year. He got like four sacks that way.

Levy/Suh/Durant
kvb/williams/fairley/avril

have Suh blitz and take the open lane.. And can u imagine the WR coming across the middle and thinking what if suh is there lol LIGHTS OUT!


Good point. The talent on the defensive line gives us so many options; adding a potential GREAT linebacker would give us even more. Let's start a T'eo bandwagon!

_________________
Image


December 3rd, 2012, 9:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.