View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage record 

Will he break Jerry Rice's record this year?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 20

Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage record 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage recor
ESPN wrote:
Megatron on record: 'Wouldn't be hollow'
November, 29, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Calvin Johnson's award for NFC Offensive Player of the Month brings a natural opportunity to continue putting his season in perspective. Let's consider it in bullet-point fashion:

Johnson had one of the best Novembers for a receiver in NFL history. His average of 154.8 yards per game (over four games) was the highest for a player since Lance Alworth averaged 156.3 in 1963.

He had at least 125 receiving yards in each of those four games, one shy of an NFL record, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The only player who has had more than four consecutive games with at least 125 receiving yards is former Lions player Pat Studstill, who did it in five consecutive games in 1966.

As we discussed earlier this week, Johnson is on pace to challenge Jerry Rice's record of 1,848 receiving yards in a season. Even if he doesn't reach that mark, which would require an average of about 120 yards per game for the rest of the season, Johnson can already make this boast: In his past 15 games, dating back to last season and including the playoffs, he has 2,028 receiving yards.

Johnson spoke to reporters Thursday in Detroit and acknowledged the mixed feelings of individual achievement amid the team's 4-7 record. But he made clear he's aware of Rice's record and wouldn't feel any less proud if he breaks it.

"Well, put it like this," Johnson said. "If it was to happen, it wouldn't be hollow at all because of all the work we put into it. It's not like we're coming out here dogging it every day. We've been putting in good work, just been grinding so it would be a feat for that to happen."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -be-hollow

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 30th, 2012, 9:48 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TheRealWags wrote:
"It's not like we're coming out here dogging it every day."

Don't tell that to WJB!

November 30th, 2012, 9:57 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Don't tell that to WJB!

I didn't say he dogs it every day, just Sunday...

:idea: :arrow: :cheers:

November 30th, 2012, 1:21 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Don't tell that to WJB!

I didn't say he dogs it every day, just Sunday...

:idea: :arrow: :cheers:

:roll: lol :lol:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 30th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Megatron keeps going. The Lions are having a disappointing season, but Calvin Johnson is having a phenomenal season. He’s on pace to break Jerry Rice’s all-time single-season record of 1,848 receiving yards, and on Sunday he became the first player in NFL history to gain at least 140 receiving yards in four consecutive weeks. Johnson had an absolutely incredible one-handed catch on a deep ball along the right sideline, a great catch that came so easily for Johnson that he never even bothered to put his left hand on the ball, even when he was securing it as he was tackled. It doesn’t get any better than Megatron at the receiver position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... razy-jets/
Yup, certainly dogging it each and every Sunday ](*,)

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 3rd, 2012, 9:41 am
RIP Killer

Well one of his hands was dogging it on that play as well... :lol:

December 3rd, 2012, 11:11 am
Profile WWW
TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Megatron keeps going. The Lions are having a disappointing season, but Calvin Johnson is having a phenomenal season. He’s on pace to break Jerry Rice’s all-time single-season record of 1,848 receiving yards, and on Sunday he became the first player in NFL history to gain at least 140 receiving yards in four consecutive weeks. Johnson had an absolutely incredible one-handed catch on a deep ball along the right sideline, a great catch that came so easily for Johnson that he never even bothered to put his left hand on the ball, even when he was securing it as he was tackled. It doesn’t get any better than Megatron at the receiver position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... razy-jets/
Yup, certainly dogging it each and every Sunday ](*,)

What's your point?

He dogged it on plays yesterday, and it made a HUGE difference in the outcome. I think it was the 2nd Q we were around 2nd and 7, CJ catches a 4 yard pass with a 2 yard cushion from the DB, what's he do? Extends the ball and goes down. Doesn't make a move, doesn't try to stiff-arm the guy, doesn't use his size or speed to try to get the first down, he simply extends and goes down. That's a 6'5", 245lb WR, SINGLE COVERED by a 5'11" 195lb CB, and he can't take the guy on one-on-one and pick up 2-3 extra yards for the first down? That's pathetic.

3rd Q: He caught a weak slant route and could have picked up yards after the catch, but just went down and let himself get touched down for the tackle.

4th Q: 2:40 left, Linehan called a pass, which he had NO BUSINESS calling, CJ dogged it on his route, ball went over his head, and we got LUCKY and got a nit-picky PI call. CJ didn't even try to catch the damn ball. He didn't run hard, he didn't try to break the jersey hold, he didn't even fully extend his damn hands or jump to try to catch the ball. We catch that ball we run another 30 seconds off of the playclock, and leave with a W.

You can say that he's doing his part, or you can say that he's doing even MORE than his part because he's putting up big numbers, but the bottom line is he isn't doing the little things that we need to do to win ballgames, period. The proof is in the pudding... Get on your knees and blow the guy all you want, but we're still losing, and he's still part of the loss.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on December 3rd, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 3rd, 2012, 1:06 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah, it's a shame he's no Randall Cobb.

December 3rd, 2012, 1:37 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I know I dont post much here, but I do read the post weekly and always find the reads worth the time.

Now after going to many boards and seeing many rants on twitter, Id just like to say to the people blaming Stafford and Calvin for these losses really upsets me.

Ill start with Staff.. This guy is amazing! Everyone thinks just because he dont throw the same way everytime he isnt any good. This is just simply ignorance! I wonder what this guy has to do to make some Lions faithfull happy?? Throw for 8k yards and 60 TDS a season? Somehow i think ppl would still want to get rid of him. Its simply amazing to me how people blame him for losses. When a offense puts up 30 a game by no means is that a bad offense. Maybe some Lions faithful would rather go back to the harrington days of the ever so enjoyable five yard checkdown every play! Give the boy time! He will be a great one! And yes he makes mistakes, the great tom brady has atleast two games a year where he throws four INTS, you never see NE wanting to ship him out of town.

Now for Calvin.. Is he great? YES! Does he take some plays off? Yes he does. You would to if you was him. II wanna see one of the Calvin haters try n run flat out every single play for four quarters. He gets tired! You get double nn tripple teamed every play and have to fight every play and see if u dont take a couple plays off. Give him some credit, he has won us many more games then lost us! Even the great Barry would take plays off, hell he would fall asleep on the sidelines! RBS get to take plays off staying in to block! WRS are running decoy routes every play!

My rant is done. Excuse the messups please! Was on my phone at lunch and did this quick!

December 3rd, 2012, 2:06 pm
RIP Killer

FORD_FIELD wrote:
I know I dont post much here, but I do read the post weekly and always find the reads worth the time.

Now after going to many boards and seeing many rants on twitter, Id just like to say to the people blaming Stafford and Calvin for these losses really upsets me.

Ill start with Staff.. This guy is amazing! Everyone thinks just because he dont throw the same way everytime he isnt any good. This is just simply ignorance! I wonder what this guy has to do to make some Lions faithfull happy?? Throw for 8k yards and 60 TDS a season? Somehow i think ppl would still want to get rid of him. Its simply amazing to me how people blame him for losses. When a offense puts up 30 a game by no means is that a bad offense. Maybe some Lions faithful would rather go back to the harrington days of the ever so enjoyable five yard checkdown every play! Give the boy time! He will be a great one! And yes he makes mistakes, the great tom brady has atleast two games a year where he throws four INTS, you never see NE wanting to ship him out of town.

Now for Calvin.. Is he great? YES! Does he take some plays off? Yes he does. You would to if you was him. II wanna see one of the Calvin haters try n run flat out every single play for four quarters. He gets tired! You get double nn tripple teamed every play and have to fight every play and see if u dont take a couple plays off. Give him some credit, he has won us many more games then lost us! Even the great Barry would take plays off, hell he would fall asleep on the sidelines! RBS get to take plays off staying in to block! WRS are running decoy routes every play!

My rant is done. Excuse the messups please! Was on my phone at lunch and did this quick!

here, here! Perfection does not exist in the NFL...

December 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
FORD_FIELD wrote:

here, here! Perfection does not exist in the NFL...

Perfection does not exist in this world.

December 3rd, 2012, 7:33 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions think Calvin Johnson could top 2,000 receiving yards
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 4, 2012, 7:39 AM EST

Lions receiver Calvin Johnson has 1,428 receiving yards this season, putting him on pace to break Jerry Rice’s single-season record of 1,848 yards, set in 1995. But the Lions are eyeing an even bigger number.

Detroit offensive coordinator Scott Linehan told the team’s website that it’s completely realistic that Johnson could become the first player in NFL history to reach 2,000 yards in a season.

“That receiving number . . . we’re not about individuals, we’re not trying to put a game plan around guys getting individual records, but certainly would love to see it,” Linehan said of Johnson reaching 2,000 yards. “Nobody better than Calvin to be able to have an opportunity to help our team win while he’s getting in position to maybe break history.”

Johnson needs 572 yards over the final four games of the season to get to 2,000, and that’s certainly not out of the question, considering that he has 661 yards in the Lions’ last four games. Johnson will probably get even more passes than usual thrown his way over the final four games of the season, not because the Lions are trying to get him the record but because they’re running out of options: The Lions’ second, third and fourth receivers are all done for the season, with Nate Burleson suffering a broken leg, Ryan Broyles suffering a torn ACL and Titus Young suffering from being a pain in the butt whom the coaching staff has decided to send home for the rest of the year.

Of course, that also means opposing defenses can focus even more on stopping Johnson. And when the offensive coordinator is openly talking about getting Johnson record-breaking numbers, that provides that much more motivation for the other team’s defense to stop it. But opposing defenses are already doing everything they can to stop Johnson, and in his last 16 games, he has 2,199 yards, including six 150-yard games. It’s entirely reasonable to think Johnson could average 150 yards a game for the next four games, which would put him over 2,000. With room to spare.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ing-yards/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
FORD_FIELD wrote:

Stick around and post more often! :D

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 4th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
FORD_FIELD wrote:

1) Staff is not "AMAZING!", he's an average Qb that has the potential to be great if he could be more accurate, make better reads, make better pre-snap reads, and get on the same page with his receivers. Everyone knows that I hate that we drop so many balls, but a good number of those are directly on Stafford's shoulders. His completion percentage would be much, much lower without CJ, and our WRs YAC would be much, much higher if he could put the damn ball where it needs to be. Stafford regularly forces his receivers to come back to the ball, adjust to the ball, or stop to catch the ball in situations where hitting that guy in stride would mean several more yards, a TD, or a softer tackle for our receivers. He lays our WRs out to dry often.

To answer your question, what he has to do to make "Lions faithful happy" is be more accurate with his passes, make better pre-snap reads, and make better game decisions. We are allegedly this high-powered offense that can't be stopped, along the lines of GB, NO, and NE, but we will never, NEVER be that team until Stafford can complete the high percentage passes with a MUCH higher degree of regularity, until he can read blitzes and make adjustments at the line with confidence and do it well, and until he gets on the same page with his WRs. The last point will come with time, the first two points are directly on his shoulders. It's something that he, he alone, and time can take care of, and until he does he will continue to be only average and he will continue to be an over-paid cog that is holding this team back.

2) Running backs aren't "taking plays off" when they're in there blocking, they're DOING THEIR DAMN JOB. My problem with CJ isn't just that he takes plays off and doesn't run hard, he doesn't block hard, he doesn't "sell" it when we're running the ball, and he occasionally plays with no heart. When we're winning he plays great (last year he played amazing), but when we're losing or when we're down a couple of TDs he disappears. That's not what leaders do, and that's not what great players do. Even if it was just selling a juke on a run to make a CB think he has to try, or engaging someone 5" shorter and 40lbs lighter than you on a block he would be 10x's better and part of the solution to making this team a winning organization.

"Loafing" or playing without heart is contagious. I can't stand TY, but he nearly single-handedly won us the Seattle game because he REFUSED to give up, he REFUSED to let his head down, and he REFUSED to go out there and loaf, when so many players, CJ INCLUDED, were out there doing just that. He looked like a man-possessed, and he was a step ahead of everyone on defense, and two steps ahead of everyone playing for us. I'm not saying what he's done has been right, in fact, I think he should have been cut for acting the way he has in the last 4 weeks, but that said, the guy should have been our #2 going into this season, he should have been our #2 after that game, and we haven't given him his due because we're too loyal to washed up vets like Nate B.

December 5th, 2012, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah, CJ is one of the top 5 all time amazing loafers!!!

Get your head our of your badonkadonk, because any GM in the league would give their left nut to have this guy on their team.

December 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next