View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 15th, 2014, 12:14 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Lions place Titus Young on IR 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lions place Titus Young on IR
Quote:
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/football/lions/lions-place-titus-young-on-injured-reserve

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - The Detroit Lions have placed wide receiver Titus Young on injured reserve.

The move effectively ends Young's season.

Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Monday a move with Young was forthcoming, and he would make the news public. Just over 24 hours later, Young has been shelved for the season with the team citing a knee injury.

Young was sent home over Thanksgiving and was inactive for the Lions game against the Houston Texans. Schwartz allowed the 23-year old back in the facility to practice with the team last week. Ultimately, though, Young didn't dress for Sunday's loss against the Indianapolis Colts.

Schwartz told him to stay home.

"I certainly believe in second chances. There's no greater story in the NFL, or in professional sports, than redemption," the coach said.

Apparently, Young didn't make the most of his opportunity.

"I think we all hold out hope that guys can do that, but you need to make the most of the opportunities you have. That didn't happen."

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/football ... z2E83BYIXf

December 4th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Post Re: Lions place Titus Young on IR
I'm sorry, but this is just flat out weak, and IMO this move costs us credibility with future FAs.

Everyone knows Titus isn't hurt. This move is akin to "I don't want you causing a distraction, but I won't leave you for it." It's a broken hearted boyfriend refusing to completely break up with his gf after she cheated on him, but worst of all, we're going about doing it in a manner that is just going to piss him off more next year.

Stupid

Mayhew has no idea how to manage anything, let alone a professional football team.

I have been asked in the past if I believe I could manage the Lions better, and I can now say definitively "yes, yes I could manage this team better than he, in every way."

December 4th, 2012, 7:34 pm
RIP Killer

And why have him take a roster spot?

Not putting him on IR is weak. He was wasting a roster spot. He can't be traded now and IR'ing him allows him to be traded in the offseason.

Apparently, understanding how to help the team is weak.

December 4th, 2012, 8:09 pm

While I think you may have gone a bit overboard WJB and I cant vouch for your GMing abilities...

I Do agree that this is a chickenshit move and can't possibly help the situation. Either Suspend him from the team for the year or Cut him outright, be forthcoming to the Fans that hes creating issues and that you think he can be rehabbed or not (based on Suspension/Release).

IR is just retarded because they basically are suspending him but want an extra body on the roster to replace him. It is embarrassing.

December 4th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
conversion02 wrote:

Not putting him on IR is weak. He was wasting a roster spot. He can't be traded now and IR'ing him allows him to be traded in the offseason.

He should have been cut.

December 4th, 2012, 8:31 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Ok...what am I not understanding? Why is it a bad thing to replace him on the roster while still being able to hold on to him until we can trade him? He's gone next year...why not try and trade him for a 5th or 6th rd pick?

To me it would be stupid to NOT do that.

December 4th, 2012, 8:31 pm

i understand your point, but to me it is a "Strategic Move" so we retain the rights to trade him while replacing his body on the roster, but its so obvious to everyone watching whats going on it destroys his trade value anyways because everyone knows hes Going to be cut if not traded now.

If you think he can be rehabbed, act like it. If you think he cant, then cut him to send a message. They took thje easier "transparently "strategic" way which create (to me at least) a bad impression showing how weak in spirit our coaching staff is no matter how they feel about Young.

December 4th, 2012, 9:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DJ-B wrote:
i understand your point, but to me it is a "Strategic Move" so we retain the rights to trade him while replacing his body on the roster, but its so obvious to everyone watching whats going on it destroys his trade value anyways because everyone knows hes Going to be cut if not traded now.

If you think he can be rehabbed, act like it. If you think he cant, then cut him to send a message. They took thje easier "transparently "strategic" way which create (to me at least) a bad impression showing how weak in spirit our coaching staff is no matter how they feel about Young.

You are probably right about his trade value...but I would argue that Titus sank that ship by himself. Either way though, cutting him we get nothing. Putting him on ir at least gives us chance to get something. Shouldn't they at least try?

December 4th, 2012, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

Because proving a point is apparently better than improving the team, or so wjb says.

Fact is, he's gone from the team. He has some trade value, even a 7th rounder. You're telling me the raiders wouldn't give a 7th for him? That's a punter we've so desperately needed, or a fullback. The point was already made to everyone on the team that you act like a poophead and you won't be with the team. He's not with the team and the team is controlling his rights so he can be of some trade value.

It's a win win and stupid by no means.

December 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Thank God! Get that piece of trash out of Detroit ASAP

December 4th, 2012, 9:55 pm

I called it--they Kitna'd him!

And of course he has trade value. His contract is virtually nothing, and there's no way he'd clear waivers. Any team down in the waiver wire pecking order that wanted him would have to give up something.

December 4th, 2012, 10:17 pm
Varsity Captain

I see both sides of this argument and I don't disagree with either. I think Mayhew made the best business move out of their options. It gives Titus a chance to grow up and rethink his stupid decisions, and us an opportunity to move him later should he not.
I think it's a stretch to think no one else would have signed him if we cut him. This league is about winning and Titus, regardless of his BS, is a fast talented receiver.
I seriously doubt he comes back next year though.

December 5th, 2012, 12:37 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Agreed ^^^ give the kid a last chance, and if he remains non-caring for the team release him. It's that simple, and worked with Fairley's weed issue, and fairly is really turning it up now.

December 5th, 2012, 12:46 pm
conversion02 wrote:

No, the limited value he has in an offseason trade isn't worth the drama of keeping him on IR.

regularjoe12 wrote:
Ok...what am I not understanding? Why is it a bad thing to replace him on the roster while still being able to hold on to him until we can trade him? He's gone next year...why not try and trade him for a 5th or 6th rd pick?

To me it would be stupid to NOT do that.

1) We can't trade him this year
2) We can trade him NEXT YEAR, but his value is limited and now trading him next year forces us to take a cap hit next year for trading him. Essentially we're costing ourselves $452,500 of next years cap by not cutting him this year, and we're paying him his salary while he's on IR. We're effectively trying to "punish" the guy now and reap some small pittance for him in the offseason. It has already been said on here that he's MAYBE worth a 5th to 7th rounder, and I agree. We're effectively putting up with this clown, looking foolish, looking unprofessional to incoming free agents (the proper thing to do when things aren't working out is to give the guy his release), AND kicking the salary cap issue down the field, AND paying him his salary, just to get a 5th to 7th round pick.

You tell me, is that worth it?

DJ-B wrote:

I agree completely

conversion02 wrote:
Because proving a point is apparently better than improving the team, or so wjb says.

Fact is, he's gone from the team. He has some trade value, even a 7th rounder. You're telling me the raiders wouldn't give a 7th for him? That's a punter we've so desperately needed, or a fullback. The point was already made to everyone on the team that you act like a poophead and you won't be with the team. He's not with the team and the team is controlling his rights so he can be of some trade value.

It's a win win and stupid by no means.

Really? Win-win? See my post above.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I called it--they Kitna'd him!

And of course he has trade value. His contract is virtually nothing, and there's no way he'd clear waivers. Any team down in the waiver wire pecking order that wanted him would have to give up something.

If he were picked up on waivers we would receive nothing. His trade value is limited, at best. We're talking about getting a 5th to 7th for a guy that is an on-going team distraction, that's going to cost us cap space to trade next year, and handling this thing the way we are makes us look petty and unprofessional. It's not worth it.

And, the difference in cap space next year between cutting him this year and absorbing his cap hit next year is approximately $1 million dollars. We could cut him this year, take the cap hit, adjust it down for his remaining 2012 salary, and his salary next year, along with the fact that his prorated portion of his SB next year would already be off of the books (it would get accelerated to this year), and this combination of events would save us approximately $1 million in cap space next year. Is getting a 7th round pick really worth a $1 million in cap space?

And you still think IRing him is the smart thing to do?

December 5th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is just flat out weak, and IMO this move costs us credibility with future FAs.

Everyone knows Titus isn't hurt. This move is akin to "I don't want you causing a distraction, but I won't leave you for it." It's a broken hearted boyfriend refusing to completely break up with his gf after she cheated on him, but worst of all, we're going about doing it in a manner that is just going to piss him off more next year.

Stupid

Mayhew has no idea how to manage anything, let alone a professional football team.

I have been asked in the past if I believe I could manage the Lions better, and I can now say definitively "yes, yes I could manage this team better than he, in every way."

I'm sorry.

But, this is exactly the perfect thing to do. TY is a me first, to hell with the team, all I want to do is smoke a doobie and sabotage the offense, PUNK.
The Lions can't get away with suspending him for the remainder of the season. So. this is the next best thing. His paycheck was guaranteed the 1st week of the season. There is no way the Lions should bend over and take it up the rectum by letting this Jack Wagon go and watch some other team sign him. That woulod be rewarding TY's bad behavior.

I hope the Lions keep TY on the roster all the way up to the night before the first game of next season and then cut him.

As far as Free Agents? Sure, there will be some players who have their own character concerns who would not come here. Good riddance.
Most, high character FA's, will see that the Lions are fed up with these turd stains and are not putting up with them anymore. Notice, you don't hear any negative comments towards Mayhew from the other players on the team. Heck, they all gave up on TY well before this news came out last night.

December 5th, 2012, 2:31 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 344 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next