View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Who's up next? 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Who's up next?
Would Tony Dungy consider a return to coaching?

December 3rd, 2012, 10:34 pm

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I think that with our experience at a rotating door of coaches in our lifetimes, anyone wanting to change coaches right now has got to be hitting the hooka pipe too much. We are so close to completing the rebuild and some of you want to start all over. Which, is exactly what will happen if we fire the coach.

dude the rebuild was done 2 years ago. the personnel from the 6-10 team isnt a lot different from what we have now. mayhew isnt going to make drastic changes at this point. there going to have to come up for some new plans with guys that they counted on that let them down via injury, age, or for whatever the reason - titus young, best, leshoure, broyles, burleson, kvb, spievey, etc but even despite all that they have enough talent to play with these teams but the coaching staff turtles up at the end. the team is more likely to win when thye play like garbage for 3 quarters and try to come back at the end bc some of them are dialing it down when they are ahead and the coaching staff is showing more confidence in leshoure and an avg offensive line than stafford and johnson at crucial moments.

You can't seriously believe the rebuild is complete. They have barely touched the DB's outside of 3rd rounders and later. That is only going to add youth to the bottom of the roster and special teams. And then you get what you seen yesterday. The rebuild is not complete until they get a solid #1 CB and a solid #1 Safety. I prefer the CB 1st round and Safety 2nd round because it is far easier to get a good Safety in the 2nd than it is a CB.

they also brought back 21/22 starters from last seasons playoff team. they were happy with the group they had.

December 4th, 2012, 8:23 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I think that with our experience at a rotating door of coaches in our lifetimes, anyone wanting to change coaches right now has got to be hitting the hooka pipe too much. We are so close to completing the rebuild and some of you want to start all over. Which, is exactly what will happen if we fire the coach.

dude the rebuild was done 2 years ago. the personnel from the 6-10 team isnt a lot different from what we have now. mayhew isnt going to make drastic changes at this point. there going to have to come up for some new plans with guys that they counted on that let them down via injury, age, or for whatever the reason - titus young, best, leshoure, broyles, burleson, kvb, spievey, etc but even despite all that they have enough talent to play with these teams but the coaching staff turtles up at the end. the team is more likely to win when thye play like garbage for 3 quarters and try to come back at the end bc some of them are dialing it down when they are ahead and the coaching staff is showing more confidence in leshoure and an avg offensive line than stafford and johnson at crucial moments.

You can't seriously believe the rebuild is complete. They have barely touched the DB's outside of 3rd rounders and later. That is only going to add youth to the bottom of the roster and special teams. And then you get what you seen yesterday. The rebuild is not complete until they get a solid #1 CB and a solid #1 Safety. I prefer the CB 1st round and Safety 2nd round because it is far easier to get a good Safety in the 2nd than it is a CB.

they also brought back 21/22 starters from last seasons playoff team. they were happy with the group they had.

Agree with what Billy said. Need to exercise a little patience. Give the front office time to build this team. They have used only 1 early pick on the secondary, and until last year ignored the O-line.
The Lions still have a long list of needs. But, they have some very good young building blocks. Last year they were lucky to get 10 wins and make the play-offs. This year they haven't been so lucky. I prefer to buy into the old adage, " sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward " The Lions aren't that far away from being a play-off team this year, with a few breaks and better officiating we'd still be in the hunt. As for the coaching staff. The worst thing they could do would be fire JS and start over.

December 4th, 2012, 7:43 pm

I'm of the opinion that Swartz gets another year, but that being said I wouldn't complain if an establish veteran hc were to take the job from him. If we hired another nobody with potential, I would be pretty peaved off!

December 4th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that Swartz gets another year, but that being said I wouldn't complain if an establish veteran hc were to take the job from him. If we hired another nobody with potential, I would be pretty peaved off!

December 4th, 2012, 9:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

I also agree that Schwartz should get one more year. I'm well aware there is a lot more to consider than just wins & losses, but ultimately that's what really makes the difference. So, looking at the team's record during Schwartz's tenure:

2009: 2-14
2010: 6-10
2011: 10-6
2012: 4-7 (likely a 6-10 or 5-11 finish)

Obviously this year is not moving in the right direction. But prior to this season, things were trending up in each year. That counts for something. It was only 4 years ago this team was the worst ever, and they've certainly improved. That in my mind merits giving Schwartz a chance to right the ship. But, if next year is another disappointment, then I can see moving on from him.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2012, 3:10 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I also agree that Schwartz should get one more year. I'm well aware there is a lot more to consider than just wins & losses, but ultimately that's what really makes the difference. So, looking at the team's record during Schwartz's tenure:

Obviously this year is not moving in the right direction. But prior to this season, things were trending up in each year. That counts for something. It was only 4 years ago this team was the worst ever, and they've certainly improved. That in my mind merits giving Schwartz a chance to right the ship. But, if next year is another disappointment, then I can see moving on from him.

How's the morale of the team trending? How's the discipline of the team trending? How is the make-up of the team trending?

If you look at all of those things, IMO it points to getting him out of here, and the sooner the better.

December 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

How's the morale of the team trending? How's the discipline of the team trending? How is the make-up of the team trending?

If you look at all of those things, IMO it points to getting him out of here, and the sooner the better.

exactly, schwartz has lost the team. whats the plan right now? is he trying to rally everyone together around the bad NFL rule about challenging plays that are automatically reviewed, is he going locker by locker and getting guys to buy into his outside handoff to LeShoure with a chance to ice the game, or is he trying to use this Titus Young vs us approach? Anyone who has played team sports and taken it seriously knows that Schwartz has done all he can for the Detroit Lions. His act is wearing thin now and if he didnt have a 4 year deal, he would definitely be a goner.

December 5th, 2012, 6:43 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I agree that things are trending downward, this year. They weren't last year. Last year almost everything was trending up. That's my whole point. This is a bad year, all around. No doubt about it. But in each of the previous 3 seasons, things were better than the year before. That counts for something, and shows that he at least knew enough to get the team to that point. Does he know enough/is he good enough to take the next step? I don't know. Right now it doesn't look good. But one bad season isn't enough to get rid of him in my opinion. One more year to see if he can get the team back on track, and if not, bye bye.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2012, 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2