View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Off track or regressing? 
Modmin Dude

Post Off track or regressing?
Freep wrote:
Off track or regressing? Whatever they call it, Lions aren't winning
December 6, 2012
By Carlos Monarrez
Detroit Free Press Sports

No one wants to admit it, but it's hard to deny that the Lions have regressed this season.

Their record says it. Their play says it. Their inability to offer a good reason for why they are mired in four-game losing streak and already out of playoff contention with a quarter of the season left also says it.

They have regressed. They just don't want to say it.

"Well, I wouldn't say regressed," coach Jim Schwartz said. "We've gone off track, for sure. But I wouldn't say regressed. Like I said, we've made (winning) plays at times this year. We haven't done it enough."

Off track? Schwartz sounds like a stubborn guy who refuses to admit he's lost and keeps insisting he just isn't sure where he is.

While Schwartz plays the semantic shell game, the fact is that the Lions haven't come close to making progress after they made their first playoff appearance in 12 years last season.

"Ideally you get wins, you get confidence, you get on runs, you make plays to win the game," defensive end and captain Kyle Vanden Bosch said. "We haven't done that.

"When you're in the same spot week after week -- giving the same answers, feeling the same way -- you're not progressing. But we have the people to do it. It's just a matter of doing."

Athletes and coaches like to say winning is a habit. And it was last year for the Lions. This year, they've won consecutive games once.

"I think winning is contagious," left guard Rob Sims said. "I think last year it was contagious, and we got hot and had a lot of confidence. We were just able to pull it off.

"This year, for some reason, I think the confidence is still there. It's just not happening for us like it was."

Indeed, last year and this year will serve as mirror opposites for the Lions. In 2011, the Lions were the comeback kings, salvaging victory after victory with monumental comebacks in Minnesota, Dallas and Oakland.

This season, the Lions have become collapsing court jesters. According to STATS LLC, via the team's website, the Lions are the first team to lose three home games -- against Indianapolis, Houston and Green Bay -- after leading with 2 minutes left.

"We need to be able to finish better," Schwartz said. "The same play calls in the first halves of games or early in the game, like I said, it's hard to go seven three-and-outs. You have to play some good defense to be able to do that.

"So guys are in position, and we have good enough players to do it. But when it's critical situations, we haven't always played our best, and that's something that we, over the next four games, we have to prove that we can do."

The chance to show they can still move forward starts with Sunday's game in Green Bay. And while the team is loath to talk about a regression, it still might want to take a quick peek back and realize that in the final quarter of the past two seasons, the Lions have a 7-1 record.

Contact Carlos Monarrez: 313-222-6697 or cmonarrez@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121206/S ... 1049/rss14
Hmm, could "Off track" be Schwartz' "Pad level" comment??? Time will tell, but it could very well signal the beginning of the end.........

December 6th, 2012, 9:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Off track or regressing?
TheRealWags wrote:
Freep wrote:
Off track or regressing? Whatever they call it, Lions aren't winning
December 6, 2012
By Carlos Monarrez
Detroit Free Press Sports

No one wants to admit it, but it's hard to deny that the Lions have regressed this season.

Their record says it. Their play says it. Their inability to offer a good reason for why they are mired in four-game losing streak and already out of playoff contention with a quarter of the season left also says it.

They have regressed. They just don't want to say it.

"Well, I wouldn't say regressed," coach Jim Schwartz said. "We've gone off track, for sure. But I wouldn't say regressed. Like I said, we've made (winning) plays at times this year. We haven't done it enough."

Off track? Schwartz sounds like a stubborn guy who refuses to admit he's lost and keeps insisting he just isn't sure where he is.

While Schwartz plays the semantic shell game, the fact is that the Lions haven't come close to making progress after they made their first playoff appearance in 12 years last season.

"Ideally you get wins, you get confidence, you get on runs, you make plays to win the game," defensive end and captain Kyle Vanden Bosch said. "We haven't done that.

"When you're in the same spot week after week -- giving the same answers, feeling the same way -- you're not progressing. But we have the people to do it. It's just a matter of doing."

Athletes and coaches like to say winning is a habit. And it was last year for the Lions. This year, they've won consecutive games once.

"I think winning is contagious," left guard Rob Sims said. "I think last year it was contagious, and we got hot and had a lot of confidence. We were just able to pull it off.

"This year, for some reason, I think the confidence is still there. It's just not happening for us like it was."

Indeed, last year and this year will serve as mirror opposites for the Lions. In 2011, the Lions were the comeback kings, salvaging victory after victory with monumental comebacks in Minnesota, Dallas and Oakland.

This season, the Lions have become collapsing court jesters. According to STATS LLC, via the team's website, the Lions are the first team to lose three home games -- against Indianapolis, Houston and Green Bay -- after leading with 2 minutes left.

"We need to be able to finish better," Schwartz said. "The same play calls in the first halves of games or early in the game, like I said, it's hard to go seven three-and-outs. You have to play some good defense to be able to do that.

"So guys are in position, and we have good enough players to do it. But when it's critical situations, we haven't always played our best, and that's something that we, over the next four games, we have to prove that we can do."

The chance to show they can still move forward starts with Sunday's game in Green Bay. And while the team is loath to talk about a regression, it still might want to take a quick peek back and realize that in the final quarter of the past two seasons, the Lions have a 7-1 record.

Contact Carlos Monarrez: 313-222-6697 or cmonarrez@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121206/S ... 1049/rss14
Hmm, could "Off track" be Schwartz' "Pad level" comment??? Time will tell, but it could very well signal the beginning of the end.........

At least "off track" implies there's something wrong. It's not exactly "stay the course", another Marinelli gem.

And that Carlos Monarrez is a terrible writer--one of that new generation that will write anything to get hits/generate PFT articles. I can't remember what bullsh** he made up earlier in the year but it was supposed to be a big 'scandal' and then turned out to be nothing.

December 6th, 2012, 10:25 am
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
At least "off track" implies there's something wrong. It's not exactly "stay the course", another Marinelli gem.
True, however IMO the Head Coach saying they've gone 'off-track' isn't exactly encouraging, tho I guess him being able to actually acknowledge it could be. Now the test will be to see if he can get them back 'on track'........

December 6th, 2012, 10:34 am
Hall of Fame Player

OR

What's happening to the Lions this year is nothing more than what happened to the Rams and Tampa Bay after they suddenly got good after being bad for so long. I think the Rams simply jumped the gun when they fired Spags and went with Fischer. ( Not saying that wasn't an upgrade).

Just like the Rams and Bucs, the Lions had too much success last year. It was premature and actually set us back a year in our progress. And anyone who is being honest with themselves would admit that a great deal of our "success" last year was actually "luck". If Cutler didn't get hurt, were on the outside of the playoffs looking in. If the Cowgirls had even 1 brain located somewhere on the team, they don't gag on that lead. The fact that we came back and won that game is inexcusable on their part. We did not win that game, they lost it. Now, this year, Houston did not beat us. We lost it. The Rams did not beat us, we lost it.

This stuff just happens and there isn't a person on this planet that can stop it from happening. It's part of a younger team growing up. All you can do is be patient or you can have knee jerk reactions like fire the HC and start over. I don't care if the new HC has the exact same philosophy, there will be at least some starting over.

December 8th, 2012, 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]