View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Is Suh a team player? 

Is Suh a team player?
Yes 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
No 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Occassionally 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20

Is Suh a team player? 
Position Coach

Post Re: Is Suh a team player?
I'm glad Suh did'nt get suspended. Jared Allen, Robison, and Marshall Newhouse have all been spotted punching or kicking an opponents junk obviously intentionally and not get suspended. Suh has had way more dirty crap done to him than he's dished out this year such as bieng tackled on that same play. I am surprised it didn't knock Matt Schaub out for the rest of the year.

November 26th, 2012, 11:24 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
SERIOUSLY?!

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance ... m=facebook

Quote:
Parents, take notice: it might not be the best idea to send your kids to driving school with Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. NFL Around the League writer Dan Hanzus reported that Suh received a ticket on November 15th for “failure to use due care and caution”.

Suh has had his fair share of traffic tickets in his time with the Detroit Lions. This marks the fourth traffic incident that Suh has been involved in since his senior season at Nebraska.

Reports out of Lathrup Village, Michigan state that Suh was passing several cars in the right lane on the highway while traveling at a very high speed, and Suh cut off another car as a lane was closing, nearly causing an accident. Authorities are reportedly looking into the validity of the ticket and Suh might be relieved of his latest penalty, reports Hanzus.

The officer pulled over Suh and cited him, but Lathrup Village police chief William Armstrong said he’s reviewing the dash-cam video of the incident. The officer who cited Suh has a reputation for being aggressive about writing tickets, according to Armstrong.

“The charges that were issued on the ticket, we’re looking to make sure the charges fit,” said Armstrong, who added that he doesn’t necessarily agree with the charges but plans to meet with the city attorney Tuesday about the case.

This isn’t the first incident that came up with Suh this week, as the league determined on Monday that Suh would not be suspended for his kick to the groin of Texans quarterback Matt Schaub. Suh could still be fined for the incident with Schaub.

Suh has regularly been in the news for trouble either on or off the field ever since he was drafted by the Lions in 2010. The Lions have become known as a gritty team on the field, and Suh is the perfect representation of that. But at some point, the organization will have to decide whether or not Suh and his troubles are worth over $10 million a year.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I wasn't trying to say that I thought Suh intentionally kicked him in that exact spot. I'm sure he didn't know exactly where he was hitting him. But there is no doubt in my mind that he made the kicking motion intentionally. Like I said before, it's the last part of the motion that is the problem. The first part, where he gets whipped around and his foot hits Schaub, that's no problem. The last part, where he re-extends his foot and leg back into Schaub after the initial contact, is the problem. That is not a natural move. If you're falling and spinning the way he was, your momentum will continue to take you around in the direction you were going. Suh extended his foot foot and leg out in an almost 90 degree different direction from that of his momentum. That doesn't just happen unless you do it on purpose.

Look, I agree with what Hoge said. Everyone who plays in the trenches is probably dirty. It's part of life in there. But you can't keep doing it when you're not in the trenches anymore and everyone can see what you're doing. That's all.

Well said, and I agree. Ill support Suh any day of the week, but man that sure looks like he wanted a kick in there.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 27th, 2012, 2:13 pm
Modmin Dude

Don't recall seeing this story anywhere, thought I'd add it to this thread....
PFT wrote:
Suh says he’d “never celebrate anybody being injured”
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 5, 2012, 5:28 PM EST

Ndamukong Suh knows at this point he’s a marked man. At the same time, he’s not sure what he can do about it.

After Colts guard Mike McGlynn accused him of celebrating over injured Colts tackle Winston Justice, Suh shrugged when discussing it with reporters.

“It’s not that I expect it, necessarily, but if it comes up it’s like another day, another walk in my life,” Suh said, via Chris McCosky of the Detroit News. “It’s something I am going to have to deal with and move forward from.”

The league cleared Suh for the shot on Justice, which came after an interception. McGlynn said Suh was dancing over his fallen teammate, though it’s hard to find video evidence of it.

“Since Sunday there’s been tremendous accusations, a lot of things said about me and the particular play that happened between me and Winston Justice,” Suh said. “I am the type of person that would never celebrate anybody being injured. I was celebrating my team playing well. . . .

“I feel bad that it’s even something I had to deal with, but it is what it is. I’ve been an easy target for negative things. I understand it’s part of my life and I am moving past it.”

Of course, as tempting as it is for Suh to make himself a martyr, the reality is he’s brought this kind of scrutiny upon himself by his own actions, and he’s going to have to accept the attention that comes as a result.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-injured/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 6th, 2012, 9:08 am
QB Coach

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--dt-nd ... 10397.html

Looks like there's some division in the locker room

December 6th, 2012, 8:04 pm
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--dt-ndamukong-suh--other-lions-don-t--understand-what-it-takes-to-win---a-teammate-says-194010397.html

Of course there is...we're losing.

The author makes a valid argument against Suh though. Especially his breakdown of the final play of the game.

So here is a question I have to ask myself this year but have been afraid to answer. Does Suh help this team...or hurt it?

Take the example of the colts. On the last play he clearly hurt the team by agressing out of position. But earlier in the game he played very well. This s an example of hs career so far, and I'm losing confidence in him.

December 6th, 2012, 8:34 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--dt-ndamukong-suh--other-lions-don-t--understand-what-it-takes-to-win---a-teammate-says-194010397.html

Of course there is...we're losing.

The author makes a valid argument against Suh though. Especially his breakdown of the final play of the game.

So here is a question I have to ask myself this year but have been afraid to answer. Does Suh help this team...or hurt it?

Take the example of the colts. On the last play he clearly hurt the team by agressing out of position. But earlier in the game he played very well. This s an example of hs career so far, and I'm losing confidence in him.

Never thought Id agree with a statement like that, but Im afraid i have.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Suh's built up some terrible karma--that's all you can say. Disturbing that it's spilled over to locker room, though.

December 6th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

People are speculating on MLive that it was Coleman and that's why he was released.

December 6th, 2012, 9:51 pm
RIP Killer

That last play isn't all suh's fault. He collapsed the middle and spun once he saw luck step up. He did what he had to do, but there was just SO much space. They doubled suh and he went inside trying to split the line. Luck stepped up (and would have no matter what) because avril was so damn far outside and wide.there was damn 5 yards between him and suh.

You want to blame someone, blame gunny and his wide 9. With the ends so far wide, they have to get so damn far outside and behind the pocket to get any pressure that there is a poop of space for just 2 tackles. You could see it all game, especially when luck scrambled. It's amazing that our LBers have looked as half way decent this season. It's like we're playing without ends the bulk of the time.

Just imagine if we had ends who were big bastards like Jared Allen or Julius peppers, guys who can actually bullrush...

December 6th, 2012, 10:14 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:
That last play isn't all suh's fault. He collapsed the middle and spun once he saw luck step up. He did what he had to do, but there was just SO much space. They doubled suh and he went inside trying to split the line. Luck stepped up (and would have no matter what) because avril was so damn far outside and wide.there was damn 5 yards between him and suh.

You want to blame someone, blame gunny and his wide 9. With the ends so far wide, they have to get so damn far outside and behind the pocket to get any pressure that there is a poop of space for just 2 tackles. You could see it all game, especially when luck scrambled. It's amazing that our LBers have looked as half way decent this season. It's like we're playing without ends the bulk of the time.

Just imagine if we had ends who were big bastards like Jared Allen or Julius peppers, guys who can actually bullrush...

But that's all the more to the point of why Suh was supposed to hold his gap. You're right, it's not all Suh's fault....there were three guys staring at Avery when he caught the ball with that "where did you come from" look on their face. But...you can't take away from the fact that he over agressed.

I'm not calling for his head, I'm expressing my doubts. Ones that keep resurfacing.

December 6th, 2012, 10:46 pm
RIP Killer

But when average joes can see how this defense sucks so damn bad and can see the glaring holes on any given play (draws, play actions, traps, bootlegs, etc), professionals sure as hell can.

Then again, maybe suh and fairley (he does the same crap too), because they're trained that way. Maybe they feel like they have to get the sack, the hit, the fumble...because they don't trust the backfield.

Nobody knows, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to believe any of those reasons. Sure, it was a dumb play on his part being a Monday morning QB....

December 6th, 2012, 10:52 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
conversion02 wrote:
Then again, maybe suh and fairley (he does the same crap too), because they're trained that way. Maybe they feel like they have to get the sack, the hit, the fumble...because they don't trust the backfield.

I sometime feel the same way, our secondary is scary and not in a good way.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 6th, 2012, 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Blaming Ndamukong Suh for Colts’ winning TD doesn’t make sense
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 7, 2012, 9:00 AM EST

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh made some great plays on Sunday against the Colts, sacking Andrew Luck once, hitting Luck as he was passing five times, and tackling Colts running backs behind the line of scrimmage twice. But he’s taking some criticism for not stepping up when the Colts scored the winning touchdown on the game’s final play.

An unnamed member of the Lions’ coaching staff told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports that Suh left his rush lane on the Colts’ winning touchdown, giving Luck space to step up out of the pocket and find receiver Donnie Avery open for the score.

“It’s Football 101. Don’t let the quarterback get out of the pocket,” the anonymous coach said. “[Zone] coverage, only a touchdown can beat you, make the [quarterback] throw from the pocket, get in his face. But don’t, under any circumstances, give the quarterback a chance to escape and create. That’s where the defense breaks down.”

Without knowing the Lions’ defensive call on the play, it’s impossible to know whether Suh did his assignment correctly or not. But looking at the play (as I just did several times, using both the TV angles and the all-22 coaches’ tape), it’s hard to see how anyone could blame Suh for the Colts’ touchdown. The Lions rushed with four defensive linemen and dropped seven into coverage, while the Colts had five offensive linemen blocking for Luck and five receivers running routes. Of the Lions’ four defensive linemen, Suh was the only one who got double teamed, and yet Suh was the one who got the closest to Luck of any of them. In coverage, the Lions had seven to cover five, and yet Avery was able to get wide open.

In other words, the numbers for blaming Suh don’t add up: When a defensive tackle is getting doubled, someone else on the line needs to step up and beat his one-on-one block, and it’s not Suh’s fault that the Lions’ other three defensive linemen failed to do that. And when the defense has more players dropping into coverage than the offense has running pass patterns, it’s a breakdown in coverage if one of the receivers gets wide open. That breakdown is certainly not Suh’s fault.

Suh gets a lot of criticism, and a lot of it is deserved. But blaming Suh for the Lions’ loss on Sunday feels like piling on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ake-sense/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 7th, 2012, 1:01 pm
Modmin Dude

And for those that haven't read the article in question:
Yahoo wrote:
DT Ndamukong Suh, other Lions don't 'understand what it takes to win', a teammate says
21 hours ago

As he grumbled his way through a conversation Sunday night, a Detroit Lions player was asked to consider what has happened this season.

"Yeah, we're loaded," the player said, exhaling after Detroit (4-8) lost its fourth consecutive game and third by four points or less. "But we have a couple of guys who don't understand what it takes to win. Just making a couple of plays and thinking that makes you great … sometimes you want to just shake some of these guys and say, 'Don't you get it?' "

Anybody in particular?

"Ndamukong [Suh] would be first."

Detroit is a study in regression this season, a 2011 playoff qualifier that seems to find ways to lose despite a roster that includes Suh, record-setting wide receiver Calvin Johnson, quarterback Matthew Stafford, tight end Brandon Pettigrew, a slew of other talented players and bright head coach Jim Schwartz.

"This isn't the same team that didn't win a game [in 2008]," said 12th-year veteran center Dominic Raiola, who has spent his entire career with Detroit. "It's not even close. This team has too much talent to be compared to that."

Or as Pettigrew put it: "This is not who we are. We're losing games in crazy ways."

Worse, this is a team that seems plagued by distractions. In the offseason, the Lions had four different players get arrested a total of seven times. Subsequently, cornerback Aaron Berry was released by the team in July after a second arrest in a 30-day span. In May, wide receiver Titus Young was banned from participating in OTAs after sucker-punching teammate Louis Delmas.

Young, a second-round pick in 2011, has continued to be a problem, essentially working his way off the team through insubordination. Young was placed on injured reserve this week because of a knee injury, but he had been banned from the team facility and was inactive for two weeks because he refused to run plays the right way in a Week 11 loss to the Green Bay Packers. That situation led to an in-game flare up between offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and wide receiver Shawn Jefferson. The receiver continually complained to coaches and teammates that he should be getting the ball more because he's better than Johnson, according to two team sources. His attitude was so bad that Raiola recently called Young an "[butt]hole" publicly.

Twice.

But to some in the organization, the problem doesn't come from the bottom up with expendable players such as Berry and Young. It's from the top down, with the high-profile Suh leading the way.

If there is one player who symbolizes the underachieving ways of the Lions, it is Suh. Despite the fact that Suh has improved some of his numbers from last season (his 5 ½ sacks with four games remaining is already better than the 4 ½ he had in 2011), there still appears to be a lack of awareness of what it takes to win.

That lack of awareness was on display during Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts. Suh was a beast early, sacking Colts rookie Andrew Luck on Detroit's first defensive snap of the game and leading a pass rush that consistently put pressure on the young passer. Luck threw three interceptions and had two other potential picks dropped.

But on the game's last play, a fourth-down desperation scramble and throw by Luck, Suh's lack of awareness showed up. Instead of staying in his rush lane to keep Luck from being able to step up and out of the pocket, Suh went over the center. The play created a wide gap for Luck to step through and create time for wide receiver Donnie Avery to get open across the middle of the field for the game-winning catch and run.

"It's Football 101. Don't let the quarterback get out of the pocket," a member of the coaching staff said. "[Zone] coverage, only a touchdown can beat you, make the [quarterback] throw from the pocket, get in his face. But don't, under any circumstances, give the quarterback a chance to escape and create. That's where the defense breaks down."

Sadly, that's exactly what Suh did as Detroit lost its fifth game by six points or less. The current losing streak has been extraordinarily frustrating, including the Thanksgiving overtime loss to the Houston Texans in which Schwartz mistakenly threw a challenge flag that allowed Justin Forsett's 81-yard touchdown run to stand on a play that would have been overturned during an automatic replay review.

Schwartz has defended his third-year defensive tackle even though Suh has had a series of dirty hits on quarterbacks, such as the forearm punch to the back of Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler's head two years ago. He was fined $30,000 last week for kicking Houston quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin on Thanksgiving, a game in which Suh failed to record a tackle. And last year, he was suspended two games for stomping Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith.

On Sunday, Indianapolis right tackle Mike McGlynn ripped Suh for "dancing" after Colts offensive lineman Winston Justice was hurt after a block by Suh during the return of an interception. Justice left the game with a concussion and McGlynn confronted Suh after the game.

"Totally ignorant on their part, just childish stuff," McGlynn told the Indianapolis Star. "We're all battling out there; I don't know if the hit was legal or not, but clearly he was hurt, and they're out there dancing and pointing at him and laughing. Just blatant disrespect. They're good players, but there's no room for that. It's disgusting, really."

Suh claimed that he wasn't celebrating Justice's injury and the NFL ruled the hit was legal. However, Suh claimed last year that he didn't stomp Dietrich-Smith when it was quite evident he did.

"The personal fouls and stuff like that haven't been there this year," Schwartz said. "I think he has one penalty the whole year, a five-yard offside penalty. He's a player that gets a lot of attention. There's a lot of armchair quarterbacking and Monday morning coaching when it comes to Ndamukong because there are cameras on him all the time, examining everything he does."

Still, there are times when Suh loses focus on what's necessary, in the opinion of both players and coaches.

"If you want to talk about overall talent and ability, there are maybe two or three guys in the league like him," defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch said. "He's a completely dominant player."

Yet …

"He's focused for 90 percent of the time," a teammate said. "But it's the 10 percent that kills you. … With [Suh], he loses his cool and all of a sudden we're blowing a play or dealing with some controversy."

But the worst part of Suh's behavior is the trickle effect it has on the team.

"When stars act like that, everybody else thinks it's OK to act like that," the player said. "It's like with kids. You let one get a little out of control, the other one does the same thing pretty quick. It's human nature."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--dt-nd ... 10397.html

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next