View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Linehan Sucks???? 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Linehan Sucks????
DJ-B wrote:
Changes are needed on Both Sides of the Ball.

On Offense we need a New Coordinator who doesnt suck and isnt super predictable. We could also use another quality OL or 2 but no team has every position perfectly filled.

On Defense we need talented Players. Not Just signed last week but couldnt make another roster retreads. Not Rookie 5th+ rd draft picks filling in. Actual talented players.

Gun makes mistakes, just like all coaches and coordinators do, but 95% of the defenses issue is talent.95% of the offenses issue is the way they are used/scheme and that can be fixed without impacting the cap by .01

This!

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 6th, 2012, 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I don't think the defense is lacking much on talent as people say, we have probably a top 3 DL group, we also have 3 quality starting linebackers, obviously are back 4 are lacking but the front 7 is really good. We aren't playing to our potential with the front 7, I don't know enough about defense to point the problem out but there is something. There are teams with scrubs that can get to the QB, but we have superior talent and can't sometimes.

December 7th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Team MVP

hamma77 wrote:
I don't think the defense is lacking much on talent as people say, we have probably a top 3 DL group, we also have 3 quality starting linebackers, obviously are back 4 are lacking but the front 7 is really good. We aren't playing to our potential with the front 7, I don't know enough about defense to point the problem out but there is something. There are teams with scrubs that can get to the QB, but we have superior talent and can't sometimes.

I see what you are saying, but when you say 3 quality starting LB's, I wouldnt quite call Levy "quality".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your offense can score 30+ points you should not be losing games.

Where is all the accountability for Gun? The defense should never give up 30 points. IMO the changes need to happen on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, the offense needs help too, but its the D that's been losing these games.

DING DING DING. WE HAVE A WINNER. That is the exact point I was trying to make with this thread.

December 8th, 2012, 10:50 am
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your offense can score 30+ points you should not be losing games.

Where is all the accountability for Gun? The defense should never give up 30 points. IMO the changes need to happen on the defensive side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, the offense needs help too, but its the D that's been losing these games.

I hear what you are saying, but IMO gun gets a little more if a pass. For the 2nd year in a row we have been pulling db's off the street. I have a hard time seeing any dc being very successful when they have to start a cb hat has only been on the team for two weeks. Especially if that cb is so bad that no other team really wanted the guy. Especially in todays pass happy league. Gunn has benn handicapped IMO, while Linnaean has a potential pro bowl qb's, the best wr in the game.

Like I said before, I don't know if I'd fire him yet, but the slow start this team got off to in most of the first ten weeks falls onto his shoulders. Recent weeks early scoring shows we CAN score...why did it take 10 weeks to adjust his game planning?

I think there was a purpose for the way the plays were called early this year. I think they were designed to get the other WR's involved and productive so that they would require enough attention to free up Calvin more often. And I think we are seeing the fruits of that in the last few weeks. It just took 10 weeks for the efforts to start showing that it was working. Next year, will be where we see far greater benefits from it. Add to that, we were also trying to get the running game into gear. That's still a work in progress.

December 8th, 2012, 10:57 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
1) I don't think it's possible to call a "derivation" of a play. A run to the left isn't the same as a run to the right, a counter isn't the same as a dive, and off-tackle run to the left isn't the same as a power run outside to the right, etc.

2) I don't think the first 10-20 plays are scripted in the manner you suggest. I think they're set up to read and react to the defense. It would be silly not to.

For instance, if the opposing team starts "playing the run" why would you keep running the ball knowing it's not going to work? I think the first "script" go more along the lines of "do this, until." Or run the ball if there's < than 8 men in the box, pass the ball if there's > than 8 men in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I think the offensive coordinator tries to predict what the opposing DC is going to do, and scripts the plays in that manner, but I still think there is some adjustment to be made along the way. Not doing so would just seem... silly...

1) When I said derivation of a play, I meant for instance, An off tackle run to the left would be considered the same as an up the gut run between the Center and LG. Any running play to the left is scored as if it were the play you called. The same for the a running play to the right. Basically, just designate running or passing. Then designate for runs, ( right or left), for passing it would be a little more complex.

Designate the pass play then say (short, intermediate, or deep) then (right, left, or middle).

I'm not asking for an actual Peyton Manning style play call.

2) If you really think you can call a better game than Linehan, give the first 20 plays your best guess. Put your reputation where your mouth is or quit second guessing the play calls. Because I guarantee you, Linehan spends more hours each week just studying the opponents film then you do at your place of employment. Then he has to devise a plan based on what he has seen on film.
Then 1 or 2 plays go bad and Joe Sixpack gets online and says Linehan sucks donkey balls and suggests that he could do better.

P.S. Don't misconstrue this as a defense of Linehan. I just think it's the lamest thing in the world for Joe Schmoe to claim he could do better. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can second guess and No-one will ever know if they are right. So, put your reputation on the line, and first guess!

December 8th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:

On Offense we need a New Coordinator who doesnt suck and isnt super predictable. We could also use another quality OL or 2 but no team has every position perfectly filled.

On Defense we need talented Players. Not Just signed last week but couldnt make another roster retreads. Not Rookie 5th+ rd draft picks filling in. Actual talented players.

Gun makes mistakes, just like all coaches and coordinators do, but 95% of the defenses issue is talent.95% of the offenses issue is the way they are used/scheme and that can be fixed without impacting the cap by .01

Prove you know better than Linehan by taking the challenge, or quit calling out his play calling. You have the chance right now to prove you know better than Linehan.

December 8th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Agree. Id love to see this defense get some really talented players. I want to see playmakers.

Your preaching to the quire here. I wanted to start the rebuild with defense. You can get way better way faster by building a defense first. Then the Offense is not required to score so much.

December 8th, 2012, 1:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

hamma77 wrote:

I disagree that our front (7) are really good.

Our front 4 are fantastic.

Our Linebackers are not all that good. Durant is almost as bad as Ernie Sims when it comes to playing himself out of the play. Levy stinks. And Tulluch is seriously lacking in run defense. I can't remember the dudes name, but, he used to be a MLB for us and everyone always bemoaned the fact that he would not tackle the RB until he was 5 yards down the field even though he lead the team in tackles every year. Well Tulluch is the same. With the wide 9 system, your LBers, had darn well be really good at plugging the running lanes. Tulluck, ( who came here from a wide 9 system ), is a major disappointment in this area.

That said, If we can Fix the DB's, we can get by with our current LBers. You only need to be really good in 2 of the 3 areas on offense and defense.

On Offense, we are really good at QB and WR. RB, not so much.
On Defense if we could be really good on D-Line and DB, we can mask our being average at LB.

December 8th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

BillySims wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

Our Linebackers are not all that good. Durant is almost as bad as Ernie Sims when it comes to playing himself out of the play. Levy stinks. And Tulluch is seriously lacking in run defense. I can't remember the dudes name, but, he used to be a MLB for us and everyone always bemoaned the fact that he would not tackle the RB until he was 5 yards down the field even though he lead the team in tackles every year. Well Tulluch is the same. With the wide 9 system, your LBers, had darn well be really good at plugging the running lanes. Tulluck, ( who came here from a wide 9 system ), is a major disappointment in this area.

That said, If we can Fix the DB's, we can get by with our current LBers. You only need to be really good in 2 of the 3 areas on offense and defense.

On Defense if we could be really good on D-Line and DB, we can mask our being average at LB.

Spielman?

December 8th, 2012, 9:06 pm
Modmin Dude

Footsoldier32 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

Spielman?
Paris Lenon?

December 8th, 2012, 10:23 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Gotta be paris lenon. It either him or Steven boyde.

December 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Footsoldier32 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

Spielman?

edited because I went back and looked up the all time roster for the Lions. It was Earl Holmes. He played from 2003-2005 for us.

Last edited by BillySims on December 8th, 2012, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 8th, 2012, 11:41 pm
RIP Killer

It sounded like you're talking about Paris Lenon

December 8th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Last call for you to be a first guesser. Don't pass the chance by and then second guess later. That would make you a wind bag that is full of cow manure.

December 9th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next