View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 1:24 am



Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid, S 
Author Message
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1052
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
kdsberman wrote:
The source I got they are picking 8th... :-k




Hope your right! Although much could change before the final standings.


December 5th, 2012, 7:30 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The source I got they are picking 8th... :-k




Hope your right! Although much could change before the final standings.


I agree. And sorry for the double post.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2283
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Atlanta Falcons - 11-1 (.389 SOS)

Couldnt help but point this out. I dont know that I have ever seen a .3XX SOS in the last few years, thats pretty remarkable.


December 5th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Not hoping we lose, but assuming a loss at Lambeau, we just moved up a draft spot of two with Carolina and Cleveland winning.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
We are now in line to pick fifth overall. Most draft sites have us either going with a DE or with a CB.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 28th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Profile
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
m2karateman wrote:
We are now in line to pick fifth overall. Most draft sites have us either going with a DE or with a CB.


I wouldn't mind a DE, but it sucks that we're going to more or less waste our first round pick on a wash. We'd likely dump Avril in that instance, and we'd end up with more or less the same team next year after our first round pick, just a little younger, and a little more fiscally responsible.

That said, if we can spend the money in FA, it would be worth it.


January 2nd, 2013, 5:44 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 652
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
We are now in line to pick fifth overall. Most draft sites have us either going with a DE or with a CB.


I wouldn't mind a DE, but it sucks that we're going to more or less waste our first round pick on a wash. We'd likely dump Avril in that instance, and we'd end up with more or less the same team next year after our first round pick, just a little younger, and a little more fiscally responsible.

That said, if we can spend the money in FA, it would be worth it.


Exactly. And being that KVB is a complete non-factor at this point and Avril is asking for 3x the money he deserves, I'm sure we could get a great fit at No. 5 and maybe throw in a safety from FA with the cash. Lawrence Jackson could fill in for KVB with no issues, or maybe put Fairley at the end so its Fairley-Suh-SLH/CW-No.5 pick

_________________
Image


January 2nd, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
We are now in line to pick fifth overall. Most draft sites have us either going with a DE or with a CB.


I wouldn't mind a DE, but it sucks that we're going to more or less waste our first round pick on a wash. We'd likely dump Avril in that instance, and we'd end up with more or less the same team next year after our first round pick, just a little younger, and a little more fiscally responsible.

That said, if we can spend the money in FA, it would be worth it.


Exactly. And being that KVB is a complete non-factor at this point and Avril is asking for 3x the money he deserves, I'm sure we could get a great fit at No. 5 and maybe throw in a safety from FA with the cash. Lawrence Jackson could fill in for KVB with no issues, or maybe put Fairley at the end so its Fairley-Suh-SLH/CW-No.5 pick


It's not a bad play. We're probably losing Avril regardless, and if we DO pay him $11-12 mill per year we're just going to be hamstringing ourselves anyhow. If we do that then we'll sort of be turning into the Redskins of old, but instead of over-paying other teams FAs to come in, we'll be over-paying ours (which we've done for years already, but not as bad as Avril's situation would be).

What bothers me about the whole thing is, we've literally been 3-4 players away from having a GREAT offense, not good, but GREAT offense for 3-4 years. I've been jumping up and down saying "FIX ONE SIDE OF THE BALL!!!" This team NEEDS an identity, and "a great DL," despite what Schwartz thinks, is NOT an identity. We're a solid 5-6 players away from a GOOD D, again, not great, just good!

If we can run the ball with some degree of consistency (at least be able to pick up 3rd and 1s and 3rd and 2s with some regularity), and grind the clock down, make those last minute, game ending scoring drives, or pick up that last first down to be able to kill the clock, we'd win more games than if we just throw a few more decent players on a crappy defense. One way we'd be achieving greatness on the offensive side of the ball and leaving our D suspect, but the other other way we MAY find mediocrity on the defensive side of the ball, and we're STILL not going to be able to close out games on offense.

The route to a great offense is shorter, more direct, much cheaper, and, IMO will win us more games.


January 2nd, 2013, 5:58 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 652
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
We are now in line to pick fifth overall. Most draft sites have us either going with a DE or with a CB.


I wouldn't mind a DE, but it sucks that we're going to more or less waste our first round pick on a wash. We'd likely dump Avril in that instance, and we'd end up with more or less the same team next year after our first round pick, just a little younger, and a little more fiscally responsible.

That said, if we can spend the money in FA, it would be worth it.


Exactly. And being that KVB is a complete non-factor at this point and Avril is asking for 3x the money he deserves, I'm sure we could get a great fit at No. 5 and maybe throw in a safety from FA with the cash. Lawrence Jackson could fill in for KVB with no issues, or maybe put Fairley at the end so its Fairley-Suh-SLH/CW-No.5 pick


It's not a bad play. We're probably losing Avril regardless, and if we DO pay him $11-12 mill per year we're just going to be hamstringing ourselves anyhow. If we do that then we'll sort of be turning into the Redskins of old, but instead of over-paying other teams FAs to come in, we'll be over-paying ours (which we've done for years already, but not as bad as Avril's situation would be).

What bothers me about the whole thing is, we've literally been 3-4 players away from having a GREAT offense, not good, but GREAT offense for 3-4 years. I've been jumping up and down saying "FIX ONE SIDE OF THE BALL!!!" This team NEEDS an identity, and "a great DL," despite what Schwartz thinks, is NOT an identity. We're a solid 5-6 players away from a GOOD D, again, not great, just good!

If we can run the ball with some degree of consistency (at least be able to pick up 3rd and 1s and 3rd and 2s with some regularity), and grind the clock down, make those last minute, game ending scoring drives, or pick up that last first down to be able to kill the clock, we'd win more games than if we just throw a few more decent players on a crappy defense. One way we'd be achieving greatness on the offensive side of the ball and leaving our D suspect, but the other other way we MAY find mediocrity on the defensive side of the ball, and we're STILL not going to be able to close out games on offense.

The route to a great offense is shorter, more direct, much cheaper, and, IMO will win us more games.


Great points.

One thing that bothers me is that people ALWAYS act like the Lions cap situation is in complete disarray when in reality it isn't really that bad. We're spending so much money on washed up players, and we could cash out if all weren't on the team.

Cash in millions of all the overpaid players who SHOULD soon be let go:

Corey Williams: $5.2
Dom Raiola: $5.2
Cliff Avril: $10.6
Stephen Peterman: $2.7

Those four players ALONE would net us over $23 million in cap space. Williams is better than SLH at this point at stuffing the run, but I wouldn't hesitate to get $5 mill and have SLH be a backup NT. Dom is just not good enough to be making $5 million a year and I'd be happy with Nagy stepping in, who is a solid run blocker and from what I've heard was decent at pass blocking. Cliff is very, very overrated and not nearly worth $10 million a year. We could get a top-flight DE with that money. Peterman is a solid pass-blocker but non-existent in the run-blocking category. Reiff could fill in just fine for him.

It'd probably realistically cost us about $12.5 million to replace these guys with FAs and/or draftees and throw in Stafford's extension, so that's around $8-10 million to work with and fill holes in the roster, AND THAT IS JUST FOUR VERY OVER-PAID GUYS.

_________________
Image


January 2nd, 2013, 6:19 pm
Profile
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Shotty wrote:
Great points.

One thing that bothers me is that people ALWAYS act like the Lions cap situation is in complete disarray when in reality it isn't really that bad. We're spending so much money on washed up players, and we could cash out if all weren't on the team.

Cash in millions of all the overpaid players who SHOULD soon be let go:

Corey Williams: $5.2
Dom Raiola: $5.2
Cliff Avril: $10.6
Stephen Peterman: $2.7

Those four players ALONE would net us over $23 million in cap space. Williams is better than SLH at this point at stuffing the run, but I wouldn't hesitate to get $5 mill and have SLH be a backup NT. Dom is just not good enough to be making $5 million a year and I'd be happy with Nagy stepping in, who is a solid run blocker and from what I've heard was decent at pass blocking. Cliff is very, very overrated and not nearly worth $10 million a year. We could get a top-flight DE with that money. Peterman is a solid pass-blocker but non-existent in the run-blocking category. Reiff could fill in just fine for him.

It'd probably realistically cost us about $12.5 million to replace these guys with FAs and/or draftees and throw in Stafford's extension, so that's around $8-10 million to work with and fill holes in the roster, AND THAT IS JUST FOUR VERY OVER-PAID GUYS.


I don't disagree with you, at all. IMO Mayhew deserves a LOT of criticism for "kicking the can" down the road, and over-paying the guys that we do have.

Last year, for instance, IMO, was the year to get rid of Williams, and Burleson. Williams is a good DT but he simply wasn't providing $5 million in service to the team (he was our 3rd best DT for God's sake, and we have a 4th DT that's better than some team's 2nd!), and we could have likely landed some sort of draft pick for his services. Nate wasn't (and wasn't capable of) performing like a true #2 WR, yet he was being paid as one. Last year we could have cut him, saved millions, and signed his replacement for virtually no increase in salary. What did Mayhew do? He kicked the can down the road, restructured his deal to provide another guaranteed bonus next year, and made it so that cutting Nate nets us literally nothing in cap savings.

On top of that, Raiola never should have been extended. We had two years under Mayhew to replace Dom, an aging, ineffective vet, and Mayhew failed to do it.

For $2.5 million I'm not bent that we're paying Peterman to be below average, and I don't disagree that we SHOULD be looking to replace him. What bothers me is we don't have the replacement for him on our roster, and we haven't had his replacement for him on our roster for the last three years. Whether Peterman was a good signing or not, we knew his second season here that he wasn't the answer. His signing bonus was low and he could have been cut whenever for virtually nothing. For the last two years we've failed to get a solid replacement to groom to take his spot. Be it a draft pick, a project OG FA signing, a middle of the road FA signing, etc. We just ignored the position all together, pretending it's fine when it's not.

You can bring up Nagy, Fox, etc., and talk about those guys as potential replacements, but the bottom line is, all of our "depth" guys, or "young guys that we're grooming," have had serious injury concerns, and have never been able to stay healthy for an entire year of football.


January 2nd, 2013, 6:49 pm
Varsity Captain

Joined: September 28th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Posts: 304
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Avril has said once again that he wants to resign. Why not offer him a $10mil signing and 36mil over 4 years. Were paying Williams what was it, $5.2 mil- highly overpaid and I'm sure we can all agree that Avril is more than twice as valuable to this team than Williams. Offer Cliff incentives as well. For a certain number of sacks, playing time, Pro Bowl and such.

Use #5 on one of the DEs and call the Dline done. #37 should find us a starting quality S. Viccaro, Elam or Eric Reid. One of these guys should be available at our pick.

# 69, I believe should be used on interior Oline. Whatever we can't get in FA. I would prefer a younger vet guard and draft Riola's eventual replacement.

Use our last to picks on corner depth and a returnman.

That would leave some work to be done in FA. A WR, CB and OG. Then sign every swinging dick UDFA that could even stand a chance and pray for a gem.

Lastly, we have the 2014 draft to plan.


January 3rd, 2013, 2:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7430
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Yeah!!!! Let's fix 1 side of the ball. And ignore the other. So we will lose games 45 -42 instead of 27-24. Simple fact is, the Lions have spent entirely too many 1st round picks doing exactly what you are suggesting. If our DB's had even been league average, our 4-12 record would have been more like 11-5 this year.


January 4th, 2013, 8:40 pm
Profile
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
BillySims wrote:
Yeah!!!! Let's fix 1 side of the ball. And ignore the other. So we will lose games 45 -42 instead of 27-24. Simple fact is, the Lions have spent entirely too many 1st round picks doing exactly what you are suggesting. If our DB's had even been league average, our 4-12 record would have been more like 11-5 this year.



No Billy, our D is good enough to keep us in games, and it will be better if they 1) play with some confidence that our offense is going to score some points, and 2) if they're not on the field as much. You want your offense on the field the last drive closing the game out, not your D. Our offense can't help the D and it sticks the D out there repeatedly, tired and beat up, and counts on them to close out the game. That's a poor strategy.

How many times did you see our D play uninspired football? How many times did they look lethargic out there? Wonna know why? No faith in the offense to keep them off of the field, and no faith in the offense to score points. Our offense has to go 3 and out as much as the bottom 1/3 of teams in the NFL. I don't know if it is a kept stat, but it KILLS our defense and NEEDS to improve for us to get better, period. Screw the D, fix the O. The O is much closer to being "right."


January 4th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7430
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Yeah!!!! Let's fix 1 side of the ball. And ignore the other. So we will lose games 45 -42 instead of 27-24. Simple fact is, the Lions have spent entirely too many 1st round picks doing exactly what you are suggesting. If our DB's had even been league average, our 4-12 record would have been more like 11-5 this year.



No Billy, our D is good enough to keep us in games, and it will be better if they 1) play with some confidence that our offense is going to score some points, and 2) if they're not on the field as much. You want your offense on the field the last drive closing the game out, not your D. Our offense can't help the D and it sticks the D out there repeatedly, tired and beat up, and counts on them to close out the game. That's a poor strategy.

How many times did you see our D play uninspired football? How many times did they look lethargic out there? Wonna know why? No faith in the offense to keep them off of the field, and no faith in the offense to score points. Our offense has to go 3 and out as much as the bottom 1/3 of teams in the NFL. I don't know if it is a kept stat, but it KILLS our defense and NEEDS to improve for us to get better, period. Screw the D, fix the O. The O is much closer to being "right."


On what planet is 30+ points per game, lethargic? That is more than enough points to win games. And how many times did you see the Lions defense take a crap on their 1st defensive series? Too often :!: MAYBE the offense went lethargic because they knew they could not score more points than the defense could give up. That is the far more likely case.


January 4th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Profile
Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Yeah!!!! Let's fix 1 side of the ball. And ignore the other. So we will lose games 45 -42 instead of 27-24. Simple fact is, the Lions have spent entirely too many 1st round picks doing exactly what you are suggesting. If our DB's had even been league average, our 4-12 record would have been more like 11-5 this year.



No Billy, our D is good enough to keep us in games, and it will be better if they 1) play with some confidence that our offense is going to score some points, and 2) if they're not on the field as much. You want your offense on the field the last drive closing the game out, not your D. Our offense can't help the D and it sticks the D out there repeatedly, tired and beat up, and counts on them to close out the game. That's a poor strategy.

How many times did you see our D play uninspired football? How many times did they look lethargic out there? Wonna know why? No faith in the offense to keep them off of the field, and no faith in the offense to score points. Our offense has to go 3 and out as much as the bottom 1/3 of teams in the NFL. I don't know if it is a kept stat, but it KILLS our defense and NEEDS to improve for us to get better, period. Screw the D, fix the O. The O is much closer to being "right."


On what planet is 30+ points per game, lethargic? That is more than enough points to win games. And how many times did you see the Lions defense take a crap on their 1st defensive series? Too often :!: MAYBE the offense went lethargic because they knew they could not score more points than the defense could give up. That is the far more likely case.


It's not 30+ points, it's 7+ less than the opposition, constantly. We play right into their hands to close out every game, pick up garbage yards in the middle of the field, and score just enough to not win.

We can't pick up yards when we need to - lethargic. We can't pick up 3rd and shorts ever - lethargic. Our offense is flat out pathetic.


January 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.