View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2013 Free Agents 
Varsity Captain

Post 2013 Free Agents
I decided to give this it's own thread even though it will have a massive effect on both the draft and a possible "rebuilding" plan. Post and FAs or trade possibility you come up with.
Now I'm not saying that that we can actually sign the guys, just that they are available and could definately help the team. Got this info from a Bleacher Report article.

Michael Johnson DE-- Drafted in the 3rd round. 26 years old. 6'7" 200 and a whole lot of pounds. Currently has 8.5 sacks. Just about coming into his prime. Cheaper than Avril with a much higher ceiling.

Dashon Goldson S-- Had a career year in 2011 but SF did not extend him. Probably won't get him but he is available if we can come up with the cash.

Mike Wallace WR--For obvious reasons. Last years negotiations did not bode well for his career in Pitt.. Also would come at a very high price. He and CJ would destroy the record books together.

Tracy Porter CB-- (easy Wil..lol) Missed 6 games due to a seizure disorder is an NFL starting caliber player that has team but not a starting gig anymore. If he gets the OK from the Docs. he would be a great addition at a decent price.

One more that I can't remember his name :oops: a guard from Buffalo. Reportedly he can replace Peterman in a flash.

While these guys will probably cost a fortune, we need to start going balls to the wall to get some quality players. We can't do it all through the draft and need to stop filling starting roles with vet minimum guys that nobody else wants!

December 6th, 2012, 3:48 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: 2013 Free Agents
Bryce brown. Rb eagles. Not sure if he's a free agent but if we can get a decent price for a trade, he is their back up and is tearing it up! They can't pay both McCoy and brown!

December 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Brown has serious fumbilitis, so Id like to see him with more work under his belt.

December 6th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
Brown has serious fumbilitis, so Id like to see him with more work under his belt.

I don't want him for our premier back. I think he could compliment leshour pretty good though...if he can get a handle on the ball.

December 6th, 2012, 8:23 pm
Team MVP

I just dont understand. Why does everyone get so excited about the possibility of adding this running back or that running back? With our interior line, it is not going to matter. We simply cannot run the ball with Raiola and Peterman and until we upgrade at least one of those positions, I dont even want to hear the words running back.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 6th, 2012, 10:03 pm

kdsberman wrote:
I just dont understand. Why does everyone get so excited about the possibility of adding this running back or that running back? With our interior line, it is not going to matter. We simply cannot run the ball with Raiola and Peterman and until we upgrade at least one of those positions, I dont even want to hear the words running back.

Because its a part of the puzzle. We don't have a threat to run to the outside. Defenses know this and can cheat closer to the interior line. We need to improve at at the very least a guard, but to ignore the need for an outside threat is as big of a mistake as ignoring the line itself.

We need both.

December 6th, 2012, 10:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

We have the #1 Passing offense in the NFL (yes even with the drops) and 2 Medium to Solid Rbs that are both young and improving in Bell and Leshoure. While it would be nice to have Best (the rarely healthy version) or Sproles/etc this offense can function fine without it. Our outside game is solid once we have healthy non-retarded receivers, im more worried that we cant get 1,2,3 yds on 3rd/4th down when we need it, and that can be done with the backs we have if we got a G or C as opposed to a Scatback/Speedback/whatever.

Personally im Liking Bell more than Leshoure right now as our #1 but also believe Leshoure isnt 100% healthy and both are young and improving so id like to see them both compete for that position over the next year and the 1-2 positioning will define itself. If we get an opportunity to take a Speed guy in the 5th/6th rnd i wont be dissapointed, but if they take another in the top 3 (that isnt the best draft steal of all time) or overpay a FA tio come in and fill that pos i will be upset.

December 7th, 2012, 3:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Butkus Award Winner

My takes on them:

Goldson - Overrated, benefits from SF's unreal front seven, wouldn't be THAT GUY needed in the secondary
Wallace - Would probably cost too much, but would make the offense unstoppable... CJ/Wallace on the outsides, Broyles in the slot??? Who in the world can stop that?
Buffalo guard - Great addition, very solid run blocker (shocker) and sound pass blocker for the most part
Bryce Brown - Ehhhh, don't love him, but couldn't hurt to have him carrying the load occasionally

One guy no one's been talking about in FA is Brent Grimes. He's coming off a torn achilles, which may make Atlanta hesitate about resigning him or not; he'll lose a bit of his burst for a while, but is awesome in man coverage and better than any DB on the team in zone, would be an enormous addition if it somehow happened. Imagine signing him to a deal like 5 years, $55 million? More than possible if we trim the fat on the team (overpaid players mainly being Burleson, Backus, Raiola, Avril, Corey Williams) and get some extremely necessary cap freedom.

December 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:

I disagree. This OL is not awful. They are average. They will open up holes at times and get pushed aroung at times. You can argue that they wouldnt have an elite running game behind this offensive line, but there are 3-4 runs each game where Leshoure gets 3-4 yards before contact and cannot make that next guy miss to bust it into a longer run. He s got to be the worst yards after contact runner in the NFL. We ve played teams with some marginal runners in recent weeks and they ve looked better than LeShoure - James Starks for GB 2 weeks ago, Alex Green and DeJuan Harris this past week, Colts runner Ballard. This team has made a huge mistake giving LeShoure this big of a workload. He s been downright awful in recent weeks. Bell is a significantly better runner than LeShoure and is much better in the passing game. Still, Bell probably isnt much better than an average runner. There is a running back problem, part of it could be solved by demoting LeShoure but they also could probably easily add another runner with a little different skill set to complement Bell.

December 11th, 2012, 10:10 am
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
Bryce brown. Rb eagles. Not sure if he's a free agent but if we can get a decent price for a trade, he is their back up and is tearing it up! They can't pay both McCoy and brown!

Bryce Brown is a rookie 7th round pick so the Eagles dont have to pay him for 2-3 more years.

December 11th, 2012, 10:18 am
League MVP

Shotty wrote:
My takes on them:

Goldson - Overrated, benefits from SF's unreal front seven, wouldn't be THAT GUY needed in the secondary
Wallace - Would probably cost too much, but would make the offense unstoppable... CJ/Wallace on the outsides, Broyles in the slot??? Who in the world can stop that?
Buffalo guard - Great addition, very solid run blocker (shocker) and sound pass blocker for the most part
Bryce Brown - Ehhhh, don't love him, but couldn't hurt to have him carrying the load occasionally

One guy no one's been talking about in FA is Brent Grimes. He's coming off a torn achilles, which may make Atlanta hesitate about resigning him or not; he'll lose a bit of his burst for a while, but is awesome in man coverage and better than any DB on the team in zone, would be an enormous addition if it somehow happened. Imagine signing him to a deal like 5 years, $55 million? More than possible if we trim the fat on the team (overpaid players mainly being Burleson, Backus, Raiola, Avril, Corey Williams) and get some extremely necessary cap freedom.

Goldson is a very good player, I dont think he s overrated at all. He does have a great front 7 in front of him but he s very good. If we had him and a healthy Delmas together in the secondary that would be something.

Wallace - I never understood why PIT would pay Antonio Brown but not Wallace. Pretty sure he will get his money this year though and it ll be out of the range of what the Lions would be willing to pay. On the other hand if they went after a bigtime No 2 WR they could probably use their 2nd round picks for other holes rather than tanking those picks.

Brent Grimes - No thanks, you dont want a cornerback coming of an achilles tear especially when he ll be 30 in training camp next year. He d be worth an invite but if there is any guaranteed money involved, stay away. Maybe by the 2nd year coming off the injury he ll be able to contribute but will probably not be the same player ever again.

December 11th, 2012, 10:27 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The unnamed guard from Buffalo is Andy Levitre, he's only 24. Would be an upgrade over Peterman. Our run game will not improve until we get better interior lineman. The backs we have are young and will get better. There is no need to spend an early pick on a RB.

December 11th, 2012, 10:37 am
League MVP

Free Agency:

QB - Id like to see a better No 3 than Kellen Moore bc probably cant afford Shaun Hill too much longer but probably dont look for this player in FA.

RB - There is a very real need to have better runners. Reggie Bush and Felix Jones are speedier backs than what we have. Bush will probably cost more but will still only be 28 years old. Felix Jones I think has similar talent but probably will cost less and at 25 is younger than Joique Bell. Steven Jackson is also a UFA but at age 30 and a heavy career workload he might only have a year or so left in the tank. LaRod Stevens Howlings could help as a KR but probably wouldnt be as useful in the run game.

WR - Not a ton available but some decent players given. WR is a suddenly huge need for us with Burleson and Broyles recovery from big injuries, Young probably a goner from the team and Mike Thomas appearing pretty ineffective. Brandon Gibson, Devery Henderson could be decent fits. Danarrio Alexander is probably a lil too injury prone, same with Danny Amendola and they might be pricier given that they ve had some huge games. Greg Jennings coming off injury is a UFA but what will his price tag be. Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace - pipe dreams.

TE - Martellus Bennet and Dallas Clark probably the best two that might be available but I dont think the Lions consider a move here.

P - Andy Lee is a free agent and one of the best in the game. Nick Harris was good for several weeks but he s again showing his real colors the past 2 games.

OT - Reiff looks like he steps in as the LT though he s been pretty suspect in pass protection. Cherilus is a FA so the Lions might consider other options in house w Backus, Hilliard, or Fox. FA available include Branden Albert and Sebastian Vollmer that could be considered upgrades over Backus. I wouldnt mind seeing them put Reiff on the right side and go after Albert to play LT. Backus is getting around 5 mill on his current deal while Cherilus is getting over 2 million. That could give them space to make a play for Albert but I doubt this front office will make any major move with the OL given its recent history of failing to do so. Jake Long is a UFA also but he s already making over 11 mill/yr so I doubt we could land him. Demar Dotson, Tampa Bay, might be a darkhorse candidate but I doubt Tampa lets him go.

OG - Levitre from Buffalo would be a good addition but Buffalo has been talking about re signing him for several months now. I dont see a whole lot else at G that would be upgrades over Peterman. Looks to me like Peterman plays the last year of his deal which means its time the Lions draft a guard and try to develop a replacement.

C - Raiola has another year on his deal. He s getting paid pretty well and Im not sure he s worth his contract. Still his play hasnt declined despite getting into his 30s. I doubt Mayhew would be inclined to make a move at this point. Todd McClure may be available but he s older than Raiola and IMO he s a downgrade. Maybe he could save them a few dollars. Expect no change here but again, we re going to need to draft someone there soon or be forced into giving Dom a couple more years. Maybe we just pray it could be at a lower price.

DE - KVB to me looks like he s done as a starter and that was several weeks ago. That fact plus Avril being a FA means this position is a huge need. LoJack still shows some flashes this season so he could be an inhouse candidate but he s probably not good enough to rely on as a starter at a premier position for Schwartz scheme. Willie Young has showed nothing this season. Im sure everyone would be all for Avril if he could be signed at a Chris Clemons like price of $7 mill/yr but it looks like Mayhew is willing to go above that but maybe not as high as Avril wants. Losing Avril would be a big loss, he ll be 27 to start next season, is home grown and has been very good 3 years in a row now. Free Agents available like Osi Umenyiora (31yo), Israel Idonije (32 yo), Michael Bennet (27 yo) should all be attractive to the Lions.

LB - Levy, Durant are both UFA. Lions will have to re sign one of them. Do they have a viable starter among backups Ashlee Palmer, Whitehead, Travis Lewis, Carmen Messina? I dont think the Lions will be players here except for maybe their own Free Agents. Otherwise they will try to fill this internally and I could see them with a mid round pick to throw into the mix as well. Thomas Howard coming off an ACL injury, Will Witherspoon, Bradie James, Erin Henderson, Leroy Hill, Phillip Wheeler are all possible starters available in FA.

CB - Clearly they are in trouble here. Chris Houston is good not great but they are going to be in a big hole if they dont re sign him. There isnt a player that has proven to be a No 2 this season. Jonte Green was thrown into the fire a bit, he s played good enough to keep while on his rookie contract but he s not a starter. Bill Bentley was a lil better than Green but has missed a lot of time. Greenwood got nothing accomplished this offseason so he s the wildcard. This may be a spot where we take a high draft pick but there a lot of holes and only one 1st rd pick. The Lions will have to at least consider : Cary WIlliams, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Tracy Porter and maybe even older players like Marcus Trufant or Rashean Mathis.

S - Maybe they could sign an older corner and move him to safey ie Trufant, Mathis or Jammer. Goldson from SF is probably the best player available but other guys might be Kenny Phillips or Kerry Rhoades.

December 11th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I disagree. This OL is not awful. They are average. They will open up holes at times and get pushed aroung at times. You can argue that they wouldnt have an elite running game behind this offensive line, but there are 3-4 runs each game where Leshoure gets 3-4 yards before contact and cannot make that next guy miss to bust it into a longer run. He s got to be the worst yards after contact runner in the NFL. We ve played teams with some marginal runners in recent weeks and they ve looked better than LeShoure - James Starks for GB 2 weeks ago, Alex Green and DeJuan Harris this past week, Colts runner Ballard. This team has made a huge mistake giving LeShoure this big of a workload. He s been downright awful in recent weeks. Bell is a significantly better runner than LeShoure and is much better in the passing game. Still, Bell probably isnt much better than an average runner. There is a running back problem, part of it could be solved by demoting LeShoure but they also could probably easily add another runner with a little different skill set to complement Bell.

I didnt say the whole Oline, i said Raiola and Peterman.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 11th, 2012, 2:00 pm

not to beat RB to death but Mendenhall should become availale. He's apearantly healthy but been benched in favor of the guys who played all season. what if we can get him cheap?

December 11th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next