View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Schwartz 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Shwartz has got to go
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I just bet that those that are calling for Schwartz to be fired, are the same ones that were calling for Fontes to be fired because it just couldn't get any worse. Never mind that we were in the playoffs almost every year and got the only post season win in 50+ years under Fontes. All the while, I was beating the drum saying," yes it can get worse." And it did.

Neither Fontes or Scwartz will ever win a Super Bowl, and that's the real goal. How many playoff games did we win under Fontes?

Further, just because it "can get worse" it doesn't mean you settle for mediocrity.

Fontes won more playoff games than any coach in the last 50+ years for us.

And your right. We didn't settle for mediocrity. We settled for far worse than mediocrity. Mediocrity would have been blissful compared to what we settled for.

December 8th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Pop Warner Vet

kdsberman wrote:

Well said. But unfortunately, and IMO, I dont see ANY changes this coming offseason in terms of the coaching staff because I see way too much loyalty. Most teams, when a certain unit is underachieving consistently, fire their respective coordinator or coach. Not the Lions. Oh no. Just more excuses week after week. They just keep saying what they did wrong and what they need to do in their upcoming match up. The problem? It never changes.

You said it. I hope you're wrong about no changes, though I admit you're probably right. I'm convinced that Schwartz is a bad choice moving forward though, and I only hope that the Lions don't waste two or three more years of a talented core group figuring it out.

December 8th, 2012, 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

BillySims wrote:

And your right. We didn't settle for mediocrity. We settled for far worse than mediocrity. Mediocrity would have been blissful compared to what we settled for.

You can go back to Wayne Fontes if you'd like. I'm sure if you call him up he'll have you offer for coffee cake. My guess is he doesn't have much going on. I'd prefer that the Lions address their current situation and make decisions appropriately and accordingly, with the goal of winning more than one playoff game in 8 years, which is the best that Fontes could muster with, also, a fairly talented roster.

December 8th, 2012, 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

jcmessing wrote:
BillySims wrote:

You can go back to Wayne Fontes if you'd like. I'm sure if you call him up he'll have you offer for coffee cake. My guess is he doesn't have much going on. I'd prefer that the Lions address their current situation and make decisions appropriately and accordingly, with the goal of winning more than one playoff game in 8 years, which is the best that Fontes could muster with, also, a fairly talented roster.

I am just saying that patience just might be the key to success right now. Not, knee jerk firings. We are so close to contention. And even a small coaching change can really set you in reverse. Just as people said it couldn't get any worse then, they are talking like it can't get any worse now. Well, once again, I am, here to tell you, YES, it can get much, much worse.

December 9th, 2012, 12:02 am
Heisman Winner

Schwartz is going nowhere. I am starting to get some serious reservations about him, however. He may be fatallay flawed and we have reached his limit. I hope not, but it seems that he is not as talented or effective as he ought to be given his background and brains. I do think Stafford, who I am all about and want as the QB for a long time, is a big part of these recent struggles. He's just not playing that well, as he has limited options and just is not as sharp as he was last year. How can this team have no recievers after drafting so many so often? I guess the same way they have no RBs after trading 8 draft picks to draft 4 in recent history I guess.

December 10th, 2012, 12:57 am
Baton Girl

Seriously doesn't anybody remember the 0-16 team that Schwartz took over after Rod Marinelli? Schwartz had CJ, Backus and Riola to work with. Really that's about it. If you feel we for change try canning the special teams coordinator. I can think of two losses off the top of my that should of never happened. Or maybe blame a Titus Young for being a cry baby. Just with those 3 wins we'd be still talking possible playoffs. So a coaching change to ME is not needed

Our friends will be drinking all our beer

December 10th, 2012, 2:59 am
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Motown Review: Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz deserves to be on the hot seat
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on December 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM,
updated December 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz woke up this morning knowing his job is secure.

Schwartz signed a contract extension this offseason that has remained more secretive than a Seal Team 6 operation. Nobody knows if Schwartz's extension was for two or 10 years, but regardless, his job will not be posted on Craigslist anytime soon. Schwartz does not have to worry about looking over his shoulder during Detroit's final three games.

Instead, all Schwartz has to do is talk about how the margin of error is so close in the NFL. He can remind us how many games came down to one play this season. Schwartz can start off a sentence by saying he does not want to use injuries as an excuse, but then give a lengthy explanation about how injuries have contributed to Detroit's 4-9 record and a 27-20 loss against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night.

It is unfortunate Schwartz does not have to look over his shoulder.

He deserves to be on the hot seat.

Schwartz's team is on a five-game losing streak, and while we think/hope Detroit will defeat Arizona this weekend, none of us are betting on victories against Atlanta or Chicago to close out this disappointing season.

His coaching decisions contributed to two loses this year -- running on third-and-5 against Indianapolis with nearly a minute remaining and throwing a challenge flag that cost his team a touchdown against the Houston Texans. The Lions are the first team to lose three straight games when leading with two minutes left in regulation since San Diego did it in 2000, and the first since at least since 1983 to blow leads that late in three home games in a row. Detroit is now 0-5 in the NFC North with one division game remaining.
Schwartz has more loses than previous coach Rod Marinelli. Schwartz's overall coaching record is 22-39 in four years, while Marinelli was 10-38 in three seasons. The current coach has one winning record in four seasons. Schwartz did not defeat a team that finished with a winning record last season. Detroit's victory against Seattle the only win against a team that currently has a winning record.

The coach loses his composure, and has the head goes, so goes the body.

Under his watch, there were seven arrests this offseason. It might be unfair to put all the blame for the Titus Young fiasco on him, but Schwartz did not prevent it. He allowed Young to stretch on the front line with the captains and leaders when he clearly was not ready for that role, and failed to instill respect or fear into his young player.

What about Martin Mayhew? Doesn't he deserve to be in this conversation?

Not yet.

Mayhew's job is to assemble a team, and it is Schwartz's job to get the most out of their talent. I disagree with Mayhew's philosophy of drafting the best available player as opposed to need, but ask yourself a few simple questions.

Let's say Detroit did not make any changes to its roster in 2013. The Lions did not go after any premier free agents. They drafted another receiver in the second-round. Detroit re-signed the majority of its free agents. Basically, the same roster you see today.

Now let's say that same roster was handed over to one of the following three coaches. What are expectations?

Jon Gruden - playoffs, possibly a Super Bowl?

Bill Cowher - playoffs, possibly a Super Bowl?

Andy Reid - at least the playoffs every year?

Each coach has a proven history of success. You would expect each coach to draw up a great game plan, and make in-game adjustments. Each coach would command respect in Detroit's locker room. Even if you are not sold on Reid, it is hard to argue against Gruden and Cowher's coaching abilities.

Somebody could do a better coaching job with the team Mayhew assembled, which is why I am not ready to cast him aside right now. I am willing to give Mayhew another offseason to see if he develops a better draft strategy and becomes more aggressive in free agency.

Now take a deep breath and think about your expectations under Schwartz.

Will he challenge Matthew Stafford to work on his throwing mechanics this offseason? Will the former defensive coordinator work on a scheme to improve his defense? Are any players worried about disappointing him by getting into trouble this offseason?

Does it matter?

Schwartz has job security.

He deserves to be on the hot seat.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ns_co.html
While I'm not a huge Anwar fan, I'd say he pretty much nailed it here.

December 10th, 2012, 11:42 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Schwartz came in as being very brash and even cocky at times. This season he's getting humbled in a big way. It will be interesting to see how he responds. He certainly has the smarts and the ability--but he has to mature in a similar way to the rest of the team.

December 10th, 2012, 2:27 pm
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Drew Sharp: Lions' Jim Schwartz ought to be feeling heat if they lose Sunday
December 11, 2012

Lose Sunday and Jim Schwartz should start looking over his shoulder.

He's got a contract extension so secretive that it's probably easier accessing National Security Council nuclear weapons codes. He's run this team for the last 10 months as though he's got nothing to worry about.

Perhaps it's time he should worry.

I've long maintained that Schwartz should get another season to prove whether he's learned from the mistakes of this season. An important measure of good coaching is resilience. How does the head coach respond upon realizing some of the flaws of his previous approach? But if the Lions (4-9) cannot beat Arizona (4-9) in the flea-infested Kennel Bowl on Sunday in Glendale, Ariz., between teams that have lost a combined 14 consecutive games, the Fords should elevate the temperature setting on Schwartz's coaching hot seat.

If you can't beat a team that has lost its last nine games then there must be some acknowledgment that the Lions' problems run far deeper than injuries and inconsistency. A loss to the Cardinals could imply an outright rejection of Schwartz's neglect in aggressively demanding accountability from players for both on and off-field transgressions.

The players bought into Schwartz's sales pitch two years ago that the last four games of another playoff-less season were significant as a springboard into the following season. The Lions won their last four games. But if that same message falls on deaf ears in the locker room this time, is that not an indication that the players have perhaps tuned out Schwartz?

Lose at Arizona and that becomes a definite concern.

Impulsiveness remains the long accepted third stage of perpetual Lions' grief -- right after denial and anger. Take a broom and sweep away the debris. It doesn't matter that history has proven that all that does is create more room for more debris, just from a different source. It has become reflex for the annually frustrated to demand change solely for the sake of the change.

And how well has that worked?

But if Bill Ford Jr. is genuinely serious about changing the culture surrounding this star-crossed franchise, he shouldn't automatically dismiss the possibility of a coaching change one year removed from an unexpected playoff appearance simply because a rare Lions' playoff game remains a fresh memory or that Schwartz's contract buyout might prove cost-prohibitive.

Cardinals coach Ken Wisenhunt could lose his job after this season, just four years after he led that historically moribund franchise to its first Super Bowl.

That's yet another reminder of how NFL success -- albeit momentary -- is unavoidable in a league that rewards ineptitude with high draft picks, easier scheduling and a hard salary cap that prevents the elite from stockpiling quality depth. "Coming close" in games and losing shouldn't be so easily forgiven because "coming close" is a common NFL diagnosis. It only covers up the blemishes of poor drafting, poor coaching and poor internal leadership.

It's become the Lions' ready excuse. Don't fret. They're close. They're just one play away from snatching victory from defeat. But the distance separating those capable of making that one play from those incapable is measured in miles, not inches.

The Lions simply aren't as close as the easily gullible believe. It's in Schwartz's best interests that this year qualifies as the aberration. But blow it in the desert Sunday against a team colder than the Lions and it should become increasingly clear to all that 10-6 last year was the anomaly.

Contact Drew Sharp: 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @drewsharp.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121211/C ... it%20Lions

December 11th, 2012, 9:57 am
Modmin Dude

Picking favorites Jimmy? :confused:
Quote:
Detroit Lions' Jim Schwartz critical of Joique Bell while giving Matthew Stafford and Ndamukong Suh a pass
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Coming into Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, running back Joique Bell was making a serious push for an expanded role in the Detroit Lions offense.

In the previous two games, Bell had runs of 23, 26 and 67 yards, the three longest carries by any Lions running back this season.

Leading up to the game, both coach Jim Schwartz and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan praised Bell for maximizing his opportunities. He was rewarded with a significant increase in playing time Sunday night, taking the field for 43 snaps on offense, 12 more than starter Mikel Leshoure. Bell finished with a career-high 17 touches for 96 total yards.

But it was a mental error, incurring a 15-yard infraction, that angered Schwartz.

After tight end Tony Scheffler's three-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter, Bell excitedly joined in on his teammate's elaborate celebration. Multi-player celebrations are prohibited by the league and the penalty yardage was assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

Schwartz accurately described Bell's penalty as stupid and avoidable both after the game and during his Monday press conference, but the coach took his criticism of the young running back a step further.

"I think maybe I'll start to check some of my compliments for Joique Bell," Schwartz said.

Schwartz also suggested the mistake could impact Bell's playing time going forward.

"That's a young player, particularly a guy like Joique, who like I said has done some really good things for us this year and has done a good job on capitalizing on an opportunity. But it's things like that, it's a bad decision like that, that could potentially limit his opportunities and we certainly don't want to see that happen."

Schwartz was far more forgiving when asked about crucial mistakes by quarterback Matthew Stafford and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Suh was flagged for roughing the passer on the Packers' opening drive of the second half. The penalty occurred on a 3rd-and-6 play, extending the possession. Five plays later, quarterback Aaron Rodgers scrambled for a 27-yard touchdown to give Green Bay a 17-14 lead.

"We were already offside on the play, which wasn't very smart," Schwartz said. "But the quarterback is out of the pocket, usually you get a little bit more leeway. It's a bang-bang call. The way that Rodgers scrambles around, if he pulls that ball down and starts scrambling, you sit there and say, 'How come you pulled up on the guy?'

"He didn't hit him in the head, didn't him with his head. He pushed him, they called the penalty. We've got to live with it."

Stafford had a critical fumble in the second quarter that was scooped up and returned for a 43-yard touchdown by Packers defensive end Mike Daniels. The ball simply slid out of the quarterback's hand when he went to throw.

"I mean, it was slippery, and the ball slipped out of his hand," Schwartz said. "I don't think there's any -- you can't get too scientific with it -- coefficient of friction stuff on that. Ball slipped out of his hand."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... z_hig.html
If Schwartz doesn't hold the 'stars / high payed players' to the same accountability as the rest, then that's another punch on his bus ticket out of town IMO. I could've swore that when Mayhew & Schwartz started this thing, they said that everyone would be treated the same, no matter what their contract looked like. :-k Hmm...doesn't seem to be that way, now does it? ](*,)

December 11th, 2012, 1:20 pm
RIP Killer

Wags, I see where you are coming from but these are different types of penalties. Bell's was a dumb mental error while Stafford simply had a ball slip out of hands and Suh pushed Rodgers down when he was out of the pocket. Out of the two, Suh was closer to a mental mistake.

December 11th, 2012, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Wags, I see where you are coming from but these are different types of penalties. Bell's was a dumb mental error while Stafford simply had a ball slip out of hands and Suh pushed Rodgers down when he was out of the pocket. Out of the two, Suh was closer to a mental mistake.
Understand, however when was the last time we heard him chastise Suh, Stafford, CJ, KVB, Delmas, etc for making mental mistakes?
That said, couldn't Staff's fumble be considered a mental mistake? I mean, when was the last time you say Brady or Manning have the ball 'slip' out of their hands?
IMO more examples of piss poor coaching

December 11th, 2012, 2:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:

Are you really going to try and say the roughing the passer penalty by Suh was anything less than SUPEr stupid? dude took 3 steps THEn gave Rodgers a shove...not a push but a shove.

Im with Wags...there is inconsistancy here....

December 11th, 2012, 3:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hate Drew Sharp, and I hate him more in the rare times when I agree with him.

December 11th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I just bet that those that are calling for Schwartz to be fired, are the same ones that were calling for Fontes to be fired because it just couldn't get any worse. Never mind that we were in the playoffs almost every year and got the only post season win in 50+ years under Fontes. All the while, I was beating the drum saying," yes it can get worse." And it did.

Neither Fontes or Scwartz will ever win a Super Bowl, and that's the real goal. How many playoff games did we win under Fontes?

Further, just because it "can get worse" it doesn't mean you settle for mediocrity.

Billy, Fontes won ONE playoff game in 8 years, and only made it to the playoffs twice. Having winning seasons (better than .500), is NOT football success, it's football mediocrity. You can settle for it if you want, but I don't long for the days of Wayne Fontes, no matter how bad we are... Even if we've suffered through some of the worst seasons in NFL history, at least we're trying to move in a positive direction.

I will contend, however, that our current HC AND GM need to be replaced before we see real success.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Schwartz came in as being very brash and even cocky at times. This season he's getting humbled in a big way. It will be interesting to see how he responds. He certainly has the smarts and the ability--but he has to mature in a similar way to the rest of the team.

No, the TEAM is immature BECAUSE Of him. He's a petty, school-yard, emotional thug, period. He's a petty POS that chuckles inside when we get away with a cheap shot, and he loves seeing it out of his team. How do I know? Because he NEVER criticizes it, ever.

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Understand, however when was the last time we heard him chastise Suh, Stafford, CJ, KVB, Delmas, etc for making mental mistakes?
That said, couldn't Staff's fumble be considered a mental mistake? I mean, when was the last time you say Brady or Manning have the ball 'slip' out of their hands?
IMO more examples of piss poor coaching

I couldn't agree more. Schwartz doesn't hold any of his "favorites" accountable, which IS the problem. He loves it when Suh acts like a thug and lays down a cheap hit, that's why he's never criticized for it.

December 11th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next