View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 KC player commits suicide 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: KC player commits suicide
There's your 'leeway'. Its in off-topic, rant to your hearts content......let's see how long it takes for yet another thread to devolve into yet another "Sinners caused all the problems, you all must repent now" discussion...enjoy

December 13th, 2012, 3:00 pm
RIP Killer

Thanks Wags!

WarEr4Christ wrote:
1950's: chewing gum, talking in class, yadda yadda, were some of the major infractions

Today: rape, drunkeness, drugs, murder, fights, teacher/child sexual relations

Yup, you're right, we're safer now!

Well, again if you want to use anecdotal evidence combined with the "good ole days" syndrome, feel free.

Now, statistics are kept on school safety if you want to look through a big set of gov't reports (Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2011):

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/iscs11.pdf

Interestingly, students report feeling much less afraid of being attacked or harmed during school - this stat has been on a steady sharp downward trend.

Trends are also down (although not as sharply) for real crime stats in school (violent deaths, and homicides). The suicide rate remains very stead, although with the media portraying bullying (in person or on Facebook) and the resulting suicides, you would swear this should have tripled - this is not the case.

I know y'all hate it when the evidence contradicts a preconceived notion you might have. Truth is, problems are much more pronounced now with all the media outlets (tradional, online and social). Just because we hear about it more, doesn't mean it is actually happening more because it isn't.

In the 1950's when someone got rapped, it was kept hush hush and the accuser was treadted more like a criminal than the offender. Today, teachers are required by law to report any crime of the sort (they can be held personally accountable if they don't).

If you have any REAL evidence to back up any of your claims I'd love to hear them because your conjecture simply doesn't hold any water.
--------------------
We are also much safer in life in general. Life expentency is way up for both men and women - go figure (7 years for men, 6 for women just since 1960).

for a bunch of stats on how we are now doing, check out:

http://www.american.com/archive/2008/ju ... e-we-doing

December 13th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Actually I wasn't going to "sinners repent" rant at all, I was just highlighting the base human nature is being exposed, and exacerbated by the decline in our culture. Besides it's not my job to call you, or any other person to repent so you'll have to wait a while.

Pablo,
As I said, the reality does NOT meet the statistics. I LIVE IT, I WORK IN IT, I SEE IT EVERY DAY, and I don't even LIVE IN DETROIT. The difference that we maybe heatedly discussing here is quite possibly based upon perspective. I see things through a Biblical world view, whereas you don't. So we can stop all the flexing and cease punching on the tar baby because in the end neither of us are going to see the others side, well that is until the end of this slide show we call life.

So let's just sit back, wait and see.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 14th, 2012, 12:09 am
Player of the Year - Defense

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Actually I wasn't going to "sinners repent" rant at all, I was just highlighting the base human nature is being exposed, and exacerbated by the decline in our culture. Besides it's not my job to call you, or any other person to repent so you'll have to wait a while.

Pablo,
As I said, the reality does NOT meet the statistics. I LIVE IT, I WORK IN IT, I SEE IT EVERY DAY, and I don't even LIVE IN DETROIT. The difference that we maybe heatedly discussing here is quite possibly based upon perspective. I see things through a Biblical world view, whereas you don't. So we can stop all the flexing and cease punching on the tar baby because in the end neither of us are going to see the others side, well that is until the end of this slide show we call life.

So let's just sit back, wait and see.

The #1 reason things seem much worse than even 20 years ago, even though statistically they've been happening less is that information is much more widespread. You'd never hear about a man going zombie and eating someone's face, then find 50 other similar events around the country if the information wasn't so readily available. Wars in the past were much more casualty heavy, but the outcry is higher because the media puts you in the center of things instead of fluff stories designed to sell war bonds. The media connects the world in a way that everything seems worse.

You are right in one respect, it is all about perception. Crime has gone down but the severity has gone up. With more information, we've also gotten numb to violence to a degree. But that is something that doesn't effect everyone equally. There have been severe crimes in the past, but we usually didn't hear about them as easily as we do today.

December 14th, 2012, 5:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3