View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rob Parker strikes again 
Modmin Dude

Post Rob Parker strikes again
PFT wrote:
ESPN commentator on RG3: “He’s kind of black, but he’s not really”
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 13, 2012, 3:08 PM EST

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III recently said in a recent interview that he didn’t want to be defined as an African-American quarterback. One ESPN commentator says that raises questions about Griffin.

In fact, ESPN’s Rob Parker said Thursday morning on First Take that as an African-American, he has a lot of questions about Griffin.

“My question is, and it’s just a straight, honest question: Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother,” Parker said. “He’s not really. He’s black, he does his thing, but he’s not really down with the cause. He’s not one of us. He’s kind of black, but he’s not really like the kind of guy you really want to hang out with.”

Parker said he wants to know more about Griffin’s personal life before he can accept Griffin as authentically black.

“I want to find about him,” Parker said. “I don’t know because I keep hearing these things. We all know he has a white fiancee. Then there was all this talk about he’s a Republican, which there’s no information at all. I’m just trying to dig deeper into why he has an issue. Because we did find out with Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods was like, ‘I’ve got black skin, but don’t call me black.’ So people wondered about Tiger Woods.”

Asked by fellow panelist Skip Bayless about the fact that Griffin braids his hair, Parker said that’s an aspect of Griffin that he approves of.

“That’s different, because, to me, that’s very urban,” Parker said. “Wearing braids is, you’re a brother. You’re a brother if you’ve got braids.”

Another panelist on the show, Stephen A. Smith, said he wasn’t comfortable with how Parker had framed his argument.

“First of all, let me say this: I’m uncomfortable with where we just went,” Smith said when asked to respond to Parker. “RG3, the ethnicity or the color of his fiancee is none of our business, it’s irrelevant, he can live his life in whatever way he chooses. The braids that he has in his hair, that’s his business, that’s his life, he can live his life. I don’t judge someone’s blackness based on those kinds of things. I just don’t do that. I’m not that kind of guy.”

I asked an ESPN spokesman whether the network had any response to Parker’s comments on the air and will post it if ESPN does issue a response. But ESPN obviously thought Parker’s comments were worth repeating: When Best of First Take aired on Thursday afternoon, the show ended with a replay of the discussion about Griffin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ot-really/
So glad that dude isn't covering Det sports anymore. ](*,)

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 13th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Rob Parker strikes again
Rob parker is part of the problem.

December 13th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
Rob parker is part of the problem.

You're damn right he is.

Quote:
Then there was all this talk about he’s a Republican, which there’s no information at all. I’m just trying to dig deeper into why he has an issue.

Really? So you can't be "black" and be a Republican? You have to be "down" with entitlements to be "down" with "the cause"? You can't be a pick-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps kinda guy, AND be black? Unbelievable. So, I guess Bill Cosby isn't black in Rob Parker's eyes either.

What a joke...

December 13th, 2012, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

Lol, that was hilarious.

December 13th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Don't you guys get it? He says stuff like this on purpose. He's an Ann Coulter/Rush Limbaugh type. Say anything to get people to talk about you.

That said, his attack on Marinelli years ago was 100% justified IMO. I detest nepotism, especially when its incompetent nepotism.

December 14th, 2012, 11:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Well it got him attention. And a suspension from ESPN. What a fkn tool.

December 15th, 2012, 5:12 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Rob Parker is one of the worst 'journalists' this nation has ever seen. Everything is about race with him. Everything is a "black vs. white" thing. If a white journalist had made those remarks, the national headlines would have been calling the guy out as a racist, and he would have lost his job. Likely, he would have been sued by the NAACP, ACLU, the Rainbow Coalition and the NFLPA as well.

But with Rob Parker, everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says...'well, he's just an idiot.'

Parker should be banned from every appearing on a TV show or having anything he writes put in print or on a website ever again. He's an absolute as_hole.

December 17th, 2012, 6:28 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Rob Parker on RG3 comments: “I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry”
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EST

Rob Parker, the ESPN commentator who was suspended after saying on the air that he questions whether Robert Griffin III is authentically black because he is engaged to a white woman, has now issued an apology.

Although Parker initially defended his comments and called his critics “silly” and “uneducated,” Parker said in the statement he posted on Twitter today that after six days to reflect, he has seen the error of his ways.

Quote:
“I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry,” Parker wrote. “I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert’s thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them, including ESPN’s reaction. Perhaps most importantly, the attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught – with dignity, respect and pride. I’ve contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner.”

ESPN has not said how long Parker will be suspended, or whether his role will change going forward. But the issues with Parker and his role on ESPN run deeper than one comment about Griffin. Parker was hired on First Take exactly because ESPN looks for provocative, controversial, argumentative commentators to appear on that show. Parker has long been known for inflammatory rhetoric, and that’s exactly what he has given ESPN. He crossed the line with his Griffin comments, but the larger issue is that ESPN hired Parker precisely because it wanted someone who would tiptoe right up against the line.

So while Parker’s apology is an appropriate step, it remains to be seen whether he or ESPN will show they’re sincere by making positive changes to the way they affect the sports discourse.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ely-sorry/

All I have to say is

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 20th, 2012, 9:59 am
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Rob Parker is one of the worst 'journalists' this nation has ever seen. Everything is about race with him. Everything is a "black vs. white" thing. If a white journalist had made those remarks, the national headlines would have been calling the guy out as a racist, and he would have lost his job. Likely, he would have been sued by the NAACP, ACLU, the Rainbow Coalition and the NFLPA as well.

But with Rob Parker, everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says...'well, he's just an idiot.'

Parker should be banned from every appearing on a TV show or having anything he writes put in print or on a website ever again. He's an absolute as_hole.

i agree. my sentiment was, he s probably not even smart enough to realize he s making it a race issue. he s just stupid. if he was in detroit, he might ve written an entire article on Stafford's fumble free TD play at GB - explaining that the ball slipped out of Stafford s hands...His articles were either the completely obvious or the uttermost ridiculous opinions. 100% of everything he wrote was stupid and that was before this RG3 thing and the Marinelli nepotism routine.

December 20th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Varsity Captain

From what I've read, Parker is officialy gone from ESPN, "but not before throwing the network under the bus". Good Ridence. How the hell he got that gig in the first place is totally baffleing.

Haven't found the article about the bus deal but will continue to search!

January 10th, 2013, 5:43 am
I'm glad he's finally done, and I hope no local sports show picks him up. He's a no-talent-ass-clown and doesn't deserve any position higher than janitor or burger flipper.

January 10th, 2013, 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]