View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tiger Trades? 

Should we try to trade for Upton?
yes, he would be great in a Tiger uni. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No he is not worth it. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Go get Cody Ross. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Leave well enough alone 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Tiger Trades? 
Varsity Captain

Post Tiger Trades?
Now that Sanchez has reuped, the Tigers seem to be in the catbird's seat. They have had multiple offers for OF Bocshe(sp?). How about we send Porcello, Smyley, Bosch and Santiago to the Dbacks for Justin Upton? Damn our offense would scare the hell out of any pitcher!

Next year we can look for a starting catcher that can hit more than his own weight. We can also look at replacing Infante at 2nd. Not a bir need right now, but?..........

Aviala just does not do it for me as a catcher, or a hitter for that matter. Our rotation is set we even have extra! Bullpen looks great, Rondon throwing a 100 mph fastball will more than likely be the closer.

Then we come to LF. We actually have enough chips to sign Upton to play LF. The trade would cost us but would solidfy the OF for a very long time. Dirks is still an unknown as far as I am consered. We have plenty of quality players to make a trade for Upton. It's a move we need to make right now.

December 14th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Tiger Trades?
Yikes 80 mil for 5 years for Sanchez.

December 14th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Team MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Yikes 80 mil for 5 years for Sanchez.

You just beat me to it!

Quote:
UPDATE: Anibal Sanchez agrees to a five-year, $80 million deal with the Tigers
Craig Calcaterra Dec 14, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
38 Comments

Getty Images
UPDATE: Bob Nightengale reports that, per Sanchez’s agent, Sanchez has agreed to a five-year, $80 million deal with the Tigers.

9:20 AM: Last night’s crazy uncertainty about Anibal Sanchez seems to be over. Jon Heyman just reported that the Cubs have pulled out of the bidding for Sanchez, which presumably means the Tigers are going to land him.

As of this morning, Ken Rosenthal said that the Cubs had upped their offer to five-years, $77.5 million. So, apparently, the Tigers topped that. Which is weird given that Heyman is hearing that they’re at $75 million. There has to be some sort of disconnect here. Either that’s old information on the Tigers’ last bid or else the Cubs pulled their $77.5 million offer off the table. Or, possibly, that was bad information.

Certainly confusing stuff, but understandable when a bidding war is afoot.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 14th, 2012, 4:58 pm
RIP Killer

Don't like they gave him as much as JV, that's gotta irk JV a little. JV should be looking at an extension in the 6 years $160M range - record setting.

Looks like a porcello trade is inevitable. Porcello, with a KC type D is not a good pitcher. Plus, he's just SO damn inconsistent it makes me want to choke someone. Porcello could net a Joel hanrahan from Pitts or maybe a Casper wells and Charlie fur bush type deal.

Sounds like the tigs are trying to work a boesch for furbush trade.

December 14th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Heisman Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Don't like they gave him as much as JV, that's gotta irk JV a little. JV should be looking at an extension in the 6 years $160M range - record setting.

Looks like a porcello trade is inevitable. Porcello, with a KC type D is not a good pitcher. Plus, he's just SO damn inconsistent it makes me want to choke someone.

Sounds like the tigs are trying to work a boesch for furbush trade.

Why in the world would they trade for Charlie Furbush? Didn't they just trade him two season ago? Porcello could be moved but I would be more surprised if he were then if he were to stay. He's a Leyland guy, and with Kelly, Rayburn and Inge all going last year I can't see Leyland letting go of yet another one of "his guys". Plus I think Porcello is a very solid 5th starter.

December 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm
RIP Killer

The fact is, they like smyly. He's a lefty and he's dirt cheap. He's as effective as Ricky.

Porcello will get $4M+ this year. Smyly, just as effective and a lefty, makes less than 20% of that.

Also, they've already been talking the fur bush trade, so I'm not just making it up. They liked him when they traded him, but the fister deal was too good to pass up. They still like him and he's pitched very well in Seattle

December 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Heisman Winner

conversion02 wrote:
The fact is, they like smyly. He's a lefty and he's dirt cheap. He's as effective as Ricky.

Porcello will get $4M+ this year. Smyly, just as effective and a lefty, makes less than 20% of that.

Also, they've already been talking the fur bush trade, so I'm not just making it up. They liked him when they traded him, but the fister deal was too good to pass up. They still like him and he's pitched very well in Seattle

I 100% agree with you regarding Smyly, not only is he a lefty which we desperately need in our rotation, but in my opinion he has a much higher ceiling than Porcello. But like I said Porcello appears to be a Leyland guy.

BTW, I'm not saying you made the Furbush trade up, it just doesn't make sense to me why Seattle would give him up after giving up Fister for him.

December 14th, 2012, 5:25 pm
League MVP

Well there are definitely more pieces that need to fall. Boesch doesnt seem to have much value to the Tigers anymore - with VMart back to DH, Hunter in RF and another lefty hitter in Dirks that has a better all around game. I had not heard the Boesch for Furbush rumors but I would take that trade, more upside for the Ms but a good acquisiton for the Tigers as Boesch seems to have little margin for error as a reclamation project. Seattle would give him many more chances to succeed.

I also agree that Smyly seems to be the better bet for the rotation rather than Porcello bc he has a better strikeout rate and the lefty arm. Porcello could be a great pitcher for a better balanced team with a better defense. He s a much better pitcher than what it seems in Detroit and it has to do mostly with the awful defense the Tigers have and will continue to have in the future. As for Upton, it would probably cost the Tigers Porcello, either Villareal or Albuquerque, A Garcia, and Castellanos. It might actually be worth it but only if they find a way to fill this hole at closer and improve the SS.

Anyway, there definitely will be some more chips to fall but the Tigers are playing a dangerous financial game. They have a 2 year window to win the World Series after that it could get ugly. They ve spent huge money on Sanchez and Fielder but will have to pay bigger money to better pitchers in Scherzer and Verlander and a better hitter in Cabrera. Luckily they still have a few seasons before Austin Jackson and Doug Fister hit free agency.

December 16th, 2012, 4:21 am
RIP Killer

They may have to face the ugly fact in trading those prime pieces for prospects (scherzer, fister, miggy, etc). They can't just keep buying studs without hitting the luxury tax, like you said. How many $10M+ pitchers can you have? In 2 years they could possibly have 2 $10+ and damn near $30 if JV keeps throwing like he is.

Of course, vmart and hunter would be off the books then...but that's chump change compared to $50M in starting pitching and $40M in the corner infield....that's more in 6 players than half the teams in the league entire payroll

December 16th, 2012, 9:25 am
Veteran General Manager

Illitch looks like he is on deaths doorstep. He can't take his money with him. So, he is spending it. Hopefully he hangs on for a few years and we get a 3 time WS winner out of it. And the Tigers are still making money even with all those high priced contracts. They drew well over 3 Million fans for like the 5th year in a row. Plus all the TV money. Plus the additional revenue from participating in the playoffs.

December 16th, 2012, 2:40 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
Illitch looks like he is on deaths doorstep. He can't take his money with him. So, he is spending it. Hopefully he hangs on for a few years and we get a 3 time WS winner out of it. And the Tigers are still making money even with all those high priced contracts. They drew well over 3 Million fans for like the 5th year in a row. Plus all the TV money. Plus the additional revenue from participating in the playoffs.

I agree they are probably making money but with a payroll of $133million in 2012 and maybe closer to $160 million in 2013 I think they are narrowing there profit margin. I doubt many people re upped there season tickets because of Torrii Hunter and Anibal Sanchez' signings but thats $28million/year they added right there. They still need a closer and I seriously doubt they are going to fill a roster with high priced veterans and leave the back end of games to a 21 year old who s only had a 1/3 season at AAA and with control problems. I mean - Joel Zumaya - as good as he was didnt get a chance to close. It seems a leap that Rondon is a slam dunk for this, if they are going to stay in house - I would think Al Alburquerque, Joaquin Benoit, Octavio Dotel, and Brayan Villareal in that order would be better options. But I doubt they will - if Soriano is still available in January and they havent been able to move Porcello for a cheaper closing option - I see them adding another $10-15 million/season to land him. If it ends up in a World Series WIN (not appearance) then it ll all be worth it. On the other hand, wouldnt it have been better if Ilitch made some serious attempts to put out a good team in the 1990s? I mean he bought the team for $82 million in 1992 and then threw 10 seasons into the tank before bringing on a real GM in Dombrowski, now 20 years later and in his 80s he s chasing this thing down like none other. He s throwing $80 million at each player these days! Its a little strange.

December 18th, 2012, 6:19 am
Veteran General Manager

I would like to see them bring Francisco Cordero back. He is a FA. We should have never traded him away in the 1st place. He has closer experience and he would at the very least provide good spring training competition for the closer job.

December 20th, 2012, 12:30 am
Varsity Captain

If Leyland and Dombrowski told Mr. Illitch that trading for Upton and signing Soriano would guarantee even 1 WS win and I mean 1 game, the checks would be written tomorrow!

Owners like Mike Illitch don't come around often. I wish he was 50 yrs. old and had the cash to buy the Lions and Pistons! Detroit would be a sports wonderland. If the Tigers can win the WS and break even, you would see the old dude do a jig.

Even with all the cash that the Tigs are/or may cost him, he is still proposing to spend $650mil of his own money on a sports/entertainment, business and residential complex in the center of downtown DTown. Of coarse it will have a new home for the Wings. Who was the last guy to spend money to support downtown Detroit? Kwame Kirkpatrick, and it wasn't his money and only supported hookers, drug dealers, his family and friends. Anyway, sorry about that rant, just couldn't help myself. Alcohol withdrawals I guess.

Illitch is not concerned about the luxury tax. As one of you said, "He can't take it with him"!

December 29th, 2012, 2:48 pm
League MVP

Boz wrote:
If Leyland and Dombrowski told Mr. Illitch that trading for Upton and signing Soriano would guarantee even 1 WS win and I mean 1 game, the checks would be written tomorrow!

Owners like Mike Illitch don't come around often. I wish he was 50 yrs. old and had the cash to buy the Lions and Pistons! Detroit would be a sports wonderland. If the Tigers can win the WS and break even, you would see the old dude do a jig.

Even with all the cash that the Tigs are/or may cost him, he is still proposing to spend $650mil of his own money on a sports/entertainment, business and residential complex in the center of downtown DTown. Of coarse it will have a new home for the Wings. Who was the last guy to spend money to support downtown Detroit? Kwame Kirkpatrick, and it wasn't his money and only supported hookers, drug dealers, his family and friends. Anyway, sorry about that rant, just couldn't help myself. Alcohol withdrawals I guess.

Illitch is not concerned about the luxury tax. As one of you said, "He can't take it with him"!

Ilitch was 61 when he bought the team and threw a good 10+ years into the tank with the Tigers. He s acting different now but he spent a lot of time trying to get them into a new stadium rather than trying to win

December 29th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Well, FWIW, it seemed like the Red Wings were "his baby" for a while, then after they won a couple of cups he switched gears and started dumping a TON of cash into the Tigers. He really could have moved the stadium whenever he wanted. He owned most of the land, and paid for the majority of the stadium himself. It's not like he "needed" them to lose to build something new. I think he just had other priorities for a decade or so (and for good reason, the Wings were ready to win).

December 29th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next