View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time great 
Modmin Dude

Post Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time great
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up an all-time great
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on December 14, 2012 at 6:05 AM,
updated December 14, 2012 at 6:07 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has already topped 4,000 passing yards this season, and if he averages 332 yards over the final three games, he could become the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for more than 5,000 in back-to-back years.

Not bad for a guy in his fourth professional season and who doesn't turn 25 years old until February.

It's largely because of those eye-popping statistics that Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan believes Stafford is on track to become one of the greatest quarterbacks ever.

"I don't know where Peyton (Manning) was after four years, but I think Matt's definitely on track to be one of the best quarterbacks to ever play this position," Linehan said when asked to compare Stafford's ability to read a defense to Manning. "We'll see when it's all said and done, but he's really taken a lot on. We put a lot on him as well."

The Manning comparison is interesting, because like Stafford, the future Hall of Famer struggled in his fourth season as the Indianapolis Colts finished 6-10 one year after qualifying for the postseason.

During that 2001 campaign, Manning saw a decline in passing yards and touchdowns, while throwing significantly more interceptions. After that disappointing season, Manning and the Colts made nine consecutive playoff appearances.

As for the fourth season for some of the other elite quarterbacks currently playing in the NFL, Aaron Rodgers led the Packers to a 6-10 record in his first year as a starter after sitting behind Brett Favre the previous three.

Drew Brees went 11-4 in 15 starts, his first time leading the Chargers to the playoffs, but they were ousted in their first postseason game by the New York Jets.

Finally, Tom Brady led the New England to an impressive 14-2 record and his second Super Bowl victory. It didn't hurt that the Patriots had the NFL's best scoring defense that season, allowing just 14.9 points per game.

Statistically, none of those players recorded single-season numbers close to what Stafford has posted the last two years in Detroit.

Despite missing 19 games in his first two professional seasons, Stafford became the fourth-youngest quarterback to throw for 10,000 yards, behind only Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino and Manning.

"His ceiling is real high," teammate Dominic Raiola said. "Really, he's in his second year starting, really healthy. He's got a great mind for the game. His talent and physical skills are awesome. I'm not taking anything I said back. I think he could be (one of greatest ever)."

What's clear is the ongoing discussion about Stafford's current and future status as an elite quarterback won't matter until the Lions start winning more consistently, especially in the postseason.

Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers all have Super Bowls rings. That's where the discussion should start and end.

"I mean, he's not going to be mentioned in that category yet until we put together two or three seasons like we did last year in a row," Linehan said.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... an_ma.html

December 14th, 2012, 10:17 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Scott Linehan: Matthew Stafford should end up all-time g
Those things are all pretty awesome BUT the fans want WINS. The W is the ultimate stat. Do not get me wrong, it'd be cool to see him throw for 5000+ yards two years in a row but it'd be nicer if we were on top of our division with a good reason for optimism in the playoffs.

December 14th, 2012, 2:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think he will be(He's already the best we've ever had, lets be honest). When this team is good enough to win when Stafford plays poorly, I think he will get some legitimate chances at rings. Hell, he might have 5000 yrds already if not for the drops

December 14th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

There is nothing wrong with the Lions that a Legitimate #1 CB and a #1 or 2 Safety can't fix. We take care of those 2 spots, we will go 11-5 or better next year and be Super Bowl Contenders.

December 14th, 2012, 3:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

If they don't start mixing in more runs and cutting down on his pass attempts his career is going to get shortened. I think the amount of throws are already catching up to him. It might just be me but I think he has some arm fatigue, at least it looks that way on the back end of his throws. They aren't finishing with the zip on them that they have in the past. On the deep passes I've noticed more than a few times that it looks like a good throw and then it just hangs right at the end either leading to the pass being behind the receiver or giving the defender time to jump the route. I think he's on pace to blow away the old pass attempt record by Bledsoe.

December 15th, 2012, 9:31 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the Lions that a Legitimate #1 CB and a #1 or 2 Safety can't fix. We take care of those 2 spots, we will go 11-5 or better next year and be Super Bowl Contenders.

This. Also remember that having true starters in the defensive backfield means higher quality special teamers, so you're really killing two birds with one stone. Not time to blow everything up, but there has to be a concentrated effort to improve certain areas.

December 15th, 2012, 11:50 am
Pop Warner Rookie

sweetd20 wrote:
If they don't start mixing in more runs and cutting down on his pass attempts his career is going to get shortened. I think the amount of throws are already catching up to him. It might just be me but I think he has some arm fatigue, at least it looks that way on the back end of his throws. They aren't finishing with the zip on them that they have in the past. On the deep passes I've noticed more than a few times that it looks like a good throw and then it just hangs right at the end either leading to the pass being behind the receiver or giving the defender time to jump the route. I think he's on pace to blow away the old pass attempt record by Bledsoe.

Ive always been under the impression your arm gets stronger the more you throw... Im also sick of everyone calling for us to run the ball. our offensive line NEVER i repeat NEVER gets push inside. the strength of this team lies in the passing game with stafford and johnson. the offense goes as they do. although if we got some players that, oh i dont know, could actually open holes and not get blown off the line in run block (dominic raiolas tailbone has to hurt after all these years) i would be all for mixing it up on offense.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I think we should see how the rest of the defense shakes out with all the contracts up before we say SB contenders. playoffs? id be optimistic.

This. Also remember that having true starters in the defensive backfield means higher quality special teamers, so you're really killing two birds with one stone. Not time to blow everything up, but there has to be a concentrated effort to improve certain areas.

Agreed, i guess it stings accepting we werent as good as we thought we were. At the beginning of the season if you told me the lions would be swept by the vikings and lose to the colts, i would have laughed in your face.

December 16th, 2012, 1:11 pm
Team MVP

millam21 wrote:
Ive always been under the impression your arm gets stronger the more you throw... Im also sick of everyone calling for us to run the ball. our offensive line NEVER i repeat NEVER gets push inside. the strength of this team lies in the passing game with stafford and johnson. the offense goes as they do. although if we got some players that, oh i dont know, could actually open holes and not get blown off the line in run block (dominic raiolas tailbone has to hurt after all these years) i would be all for mixing it up on offense.

I agree with this.

I think if we call for more runs, our chances of being successful get reduced...this year that is. Until we fix our C and RG, our running game isnt going to win us games IMO. I think we have lost some games this year because we've tried to run the ball when our strength is the passing game.

@BillySims
I 100% agree about getting a legitimate CB and S, but its more like addressing the position and hoping those players pan out. Like last year, we drafted 3 CBs and all the analysts say we fixed our CB problems. Really? Im glad we "addressed" the problem, but them panning out is whats important.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 16th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
millam21 wrote:

I agree with this.

I think if we call for more runs, our chances of being successful get reduced...this year that is. Until we fix our C and RG, our running game isnt going to win us games IMO. I think we have lost some games this year because we've tried to run the ball when our strength is the passing game.

@BillySims
I 100% agree about getting a legitimate CB and S, but its more like addressing the position and hoping those players pan out. Like last year, we drafted 3 CBs and all the analysts say we fixed our CB problems. Really? Im glad we "addressed" the problem, but them panning out is whats important.

Any analyst that claimed we fixed the CB position last year with 3 rookie CB's, ( none before the 3rd ROUND) is a complete moron and should have been fired immediately for being a moron.

December 16th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
millam21 wrote:

I agree with this.

@BillySims

Any analyst that claimed we fixed the CB position last year with 3 rookie CB's, ( none before the 3rd ROUND) is a complete moron and should have been fired immediately for being a moron.

I agree, but you know how they are, gotta have something to write about.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 16th, 2012, 3:05 pm
National Champion

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
millam21 wrote:

I agree with this.

@BillySims

Bill Bently was taken in the 2nd round.

December 16th, 2012, 6:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

bentley went in the 3rd. broyles was our 2nd round pick

December 16th, 2012, 10:00 pm
National Champion

Killwill25 wrote:
bentley went in the 3rd. broyles was our 2nd round pick

Hmm, ok. For some reason I thought we had 2 2nd round picks last year. My bad.

December 17th, 2012, 8:40 am
RIP Killer

Matthew Stafford will NEVER end up an all time great if Linehan continues to be his offensive coordinator. The play calling is atrocious, and there is entirely too much pressure on Stafford to make the offense work. Up and until this team gets a running game, there will never be all that much success for this team. Say what you want about our running backs and our offensive line. They are certainly part of the issue. But other teams have successful running games without strong offensive lines, and without future HOF running backs. There is no balance in this offensive scheme, and Linehan is the direct blame for that. He makes no adjustments to the defense, and his playcalling is as predictable as I've ever seen. Linehan has to go. He should be sent packing this off-season, along with Crossman.

December 17th, 2012, 6:15 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

It goes beyond just players Billy. This roster has more than enough talent to win half their games. The coaching staff has lost this team. There are some fundamental issues with the offensive and defensive schemes. There are discipline issues galore. We scored 10 points against a team that gave up 58 points last week to a team we beat. We gave up 38 points to a team that hadn't won in two months, and managed less than 200 yards of total offense.

You really think two players will fix that? Chris Houston held Larry Fitzgerald to four catches for 22 yards. CB isn't an issue that needs immediate addressing.

December 17th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next