View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Cyber Owner 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Cyber Owner
Does anyone know what is going on with Martin Mayhew's current deal? How many years left?

Mayhew landed some talent in obvious spots but he has some bad misses at other spots where he made supposed luxury BPA picks. We ll see what happens with the 2012 draft but while a lot of other teams are landing starters in rounds 1-3, Mayhew didnt help his 2011 playoff team much with that one. In 2011, he s already lost much of his draft class in Titus Young, Hogue, and Culbreath. LeShoure doesnt appear to be a special player but he did hit on the first rounder Nick Fairley assuming off the field problems cease. 2010, Suh was the obvious pick. Best pick is busting bc of medical issues. Spievey is busting bc he didnt fit as a corner, had to learn a new position on the fly and now of course is hurt. Jason Fox has played very little bc of injuries which of course he had when he was picked. Willie Young showed a few flashes a year ago but the well has dried on him. Tim Toone is a fringe special teamer in the league. 2009 is by far Mayhew s best draft with Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas all contributing. Still there are some major issues with Pettigrew s hands and focus and Delmas inability to stay on the field. Levy has been a starter almost from the get go and Samiie Hill was a quality pick. Derrick Williams was a colossal waste of a pick but Mayhew found value in Aaron Brown, Dan Gronkowski, Zak Follet, and Lydon Murtha though little of that helped us win games or provided sustained depth. Mayhew s best success has come through trades of Roy Williams for draft picks, and draft picks for starters like Corey Williams, Chris Houston, Julian Peterson and free agency signings with KVB, Burleson, Eric Wright, Stephen Tulloch. He s done well there but its hard to imagine sustained success without better drafts.

Would the Lions be better served by allowing a different GM to take advantage of the huge amount of roster spots that will open up for the Lions via FA this year. Bill Polian is one the best GMs of all time and is being rumored as looking to get back into the game. He s 70 years old so that might be a limiting factor. What would you think of a Lions team with Polian as the GM, Tony Dungy as the head coach, Lovie Smith as D-Coordinator, and maybe someone like Pete Carmichael Jr from New Orleans os O-Coordinator? Its kind of a dream staff and would require the Fords to be active as well as some things like firings of Lovie Smith and Sean Payton to happen first but shouldnt an NFL owner be thinking of any possibilities tha might make his team better?

December 18th, 2012, 12:51 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cyber Owner
I don't know the status of Martin's contract, but he's not going anyplace so it's kind of foolish to think there will be a change at the GM spot. Same thing goes for HC, OC and DC. Unfortunate, but true.

December 31st, 2012, 7:53 pm

m2karateman wrote:
I don't know the status of Martin's contract, but he's not going anyplace so it's kind of foolish to think there will be a change at the GM spot. Same thing goes for HC, OC and DC. Unfortunate, but true.

I dont why you called me foolish but okay...

anyway i just think its a rare opportunity where you have a team with a talented and very young core group - Stafford/Johnson/Suh/Fairley to build around and then factor in that there are 25 unrestricted free agents and a top 5 pick. Some big money players coming off contracts like Avril 10.6mill, Williams 5mill, Houston 4 mill so there are places where they can redirect money and possibly take a new direction. I see this as a huge huge offseason for the team that will lock them in at several spots going forward. if this offseason isnt handled properly I think it ll send the team into a tailspin that they wont recover from for a while. its a chance to make big changes without really totally rebuilding bc the young group is there as a base. i just dont trust mayhew to get it done anymore after the offseasons we ve had.

December 31st, 2012, 10:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I dont why you called me foolish but okay...

anyway i just think its a rare opportunity where you have a team with a talented and very young core group - Stafford/Johnson/Suh/Fairley to build around and then factor in that there are 25 unrestricted free agents and a top 5 pick. Some big money players coming off contracts like Avril 10.6mill, Williams 5mill, Houston 4 mill so there are places where they can redirect money and possibly take a new direction. I see this as a huge huge offseason for the team that will lock them in at several spots going forward. if this offseason isnt handled properly I think it ll send the team into a tailspin that they wont recover from for a while. its a chance to make big changes without really totally rebuilding bc the young group is there as a base. i just dont trust mayhew to get it done anymore after the offseasons we ve had.

Mayhew's limited by the contracts and a lot of them were either in place before he took over (like CJ) or before the rookie wage cap. Redoing Stafford's and Suh's deals will free up A LOT of cap space. The top 5 pick isn't going to hurt at all. CJ's deal took time to get right, but his number last year made it hard to sign anyone substantial, not to mention Avril's deal putting the kabob on any free cash. Mayhew isn't perfect, but he went from FA to start the process and then moved more towards building through the draft.

The coaches in place haven't exactly developed anyone. You've seen a few, but they aren't reaching their potential. All of the offensive assistants minus the TE coach are gone. None of the defensive assistants contracts are up, but I'd expect some changes there and special teams too. They need a decent QB coach too. Linehan hasn't coached up Stafford at all. Jefferson was great for CJ and Nate but he didn't exactly build up Broyles early on and he definitely didn't do much for Titus. A coach that plays favorites isn't going to help a team. Did you see his goodbye tweets? He thanked Nate, CJ, the Fords and Mayhew. Not a word to Schwartz or Linehan. When the coaches and assistants aren't meshing, how much coaching can really go on?

Mayhew's done a good job (not great) over the last few years. I think some of the scouts need to be evaluated and there needs to be more discipline across the board. Bring in some quality coaches for the positions that are on the same page as the rest of the staff. No more of these holdovers from previous regimes that have divided loyalties. Let them sink or swim together.

January 1st, 2013, 12:28 am

Quote:
Mayhew's limited by the contracts and a lot of them were either in place before he took over (like CJ) or before the rookie wage cap. Redoing Stafford's and Suh's deals will free up A LOT of cap space. The top 5 pick isn't going to hurt at all. CJ's deal took time to get right, but his number last year made it hard to sign anyone substantial, not to mention Avril's deal putting the kabob on any free cash. Mayhew isn't perfect, but he went from FA to start the process and
Quote:
then moved more towards building through the draft.

I think you are missing the point. I know that the top 5 pick isnt going to hurt the salary cap - its just a big opportunity and I dont want the GM in place to mess it up. Also, I agree there will be cap space when they restructure Stafford and possibly Suh, particularly if they let Avril walk. But with 25 unrestricted free agents he s going to have to offer some veteran players some contracts to fill the gaps on the roster. At least a few of those are going to be multiyear deals ie. he s going to have to commit to some players and he s going to lock up additional parts of the salary cap in doing so. Lets suppose the Lions fall on their collective faces again - its going to be an even bigger mess for the next GM to clean up and that process would be much longer. IMO its a huge risk to keep this coaching staff and this GM in place for this offseason. If they mess it up, it will take them much longer to correct than if the right man was brought on for the job this offseason. The franchise is basically being forced to make big decisions this offseason and I dont trust Mayhew and Schwartz to make them.

Also, your last statement of "moved towards building through the draft" is maybe true but doesnt mean that Mayhew has been effective at that. 2010 : Suh, Best (done), Spievey (possibly done), Fox (not done but damaged goods), Willie Young (has reached plateau), Tim Toone (fringe league player); 2011 : Fairley, LeShoure, Young (done), Hogue (gone), Culbreath (gone) and 2012: Reiff, Broyles (damaged goods), Bentley (damaged goods), R. Lewis, Whitehead, Greenwood (damaged goods), Green, T. Lewis

2010 draft has gotten us a great DT and a backup OT and DE.
2011 draft has gotten us a great DT and average RB
2012 draft so far no immediate starters but still many possibilities

I agree it was an attempt to build through the draft but doesnt really appear to be enough to sustain a franchise. 2009 was his best draft with Stafford/Pettigrew/Delmas/S. Hill/S. Hill/Murtha/Gronkowski since then not much.

January 1st, 2013, 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]