View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 11:00 pm



Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Drafting a WR 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2289
Post Re: Drafting a WR
Roger that, thanks for the extra info. For some reason i remember him being a decent player, but he did just fade away after a few years so the info filled in the blanks.


November 30th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10327
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Drafting a WR
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.


Not 100% sure but didnt that Ben Watson help them win a SB before they let him walk away?

That said I Agree with your pt. TE is a Rd 2+ Pick (and preferrably 3+ unless they are a special talent).


No, he didn't. They drafted him the last year they won a SB (2004 season), and he played in 1 game early in the season, and was injured for the rest of the year. They never won a SB with his "help," he was never a significant part of their offense, and his career was plagued with injuries. He was largely a bust, but admittedly, it was primarily because of injuries.


Umm, what? You mean he didn't help by grabbing 49 balls for over 640 yards on a 12-4 team that barely lost to a dominant colts team? His worst year was 22 grabs and that's because Brady blew out his knee in the first game. He was hyped to be a tony Gonzalez, but seriously? There's only one gonzo, and Watson didn't live up to that ridiculous hype. NE wanted him back when he hit FA, but didn't want him back at $4M+/yr. don't blame them. Few TEs are worth that.

The guy has missed 12 games after his rookie year (8 freaking seasons - he tore his ACL after the first game his rookie year). Stafford and delmas have missed more in half the time in the league. I guess that is what you call injury plagued career, but the rest of the world doesn't. He's doing decent in Cleveland, but you don't hear about him because Cleveland is trash.

Outside of the fact you're wrong about Watson, you are right about not drafting a TE early. It's a massive crapshoot.

Also, Olsen was a first rounder who did quite well in chicago. He was traded for a 3rd rounder, not chump change. Chicago thought they had Olsens replacement on the roster (martz was obsessed with kellen davis for some goofy reason, but he was a good blocker) and Olsen was barely average as a blocker. Definately not a fit in the Martz offense.

Just a thought, when the last time you saw gronk or Hernandez or graham make any consistently good blocks? They're all below average blockers and tweeter slot receivers, like scheffler.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


December 6th, 2012, 10:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7483
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Drafting a WR
Just say no to drafting a WR. We can get a good #3 WR as a FA for cheap enough.


December 8th, 2012, 10:24 am
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 878
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Drafting a WR
BillySims wrote:
Just say no to drafting a WR. We can get a good #3 WR as a FA for cheap enough.


Agreed. Of course our depth at WR is FAR less that what we thought it was at the beginning of this season.

...Titus O'Neil ](*,)


December 17th, 2012, 10:33 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Drafting a WR
Now the question comes up, "Is Broyles going to be unreliable now"? Is he gonna be like Delmas and have the potential but unable to stay healthy? You ask me, I say YES..wide receiver IS a need. Not saying burn a 1st rounder on one, but other than Calvin what do we have assuming Burleson is let go?

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3866
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Drafting a WR
kdsberman wrote:
Now the question comes up, "Is Broyles going to be unreliable now"? Is he gonna be like Delmas and have the potential but unable to stay healthy? You ask me, I say YES..wide receiver IS a need. Not saying burn a 1st rounder on one, but other than Calvin what do we have assuming Burleson is let go?


If I understand it correctly, burleson won't be cut, due to the fact that just about his whole contract in the final year is guaranteed. We gain virtually nothing by cutting him as far as cap space goes....that is if I understand his contract since the last revision correctly.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


December 17th, 2012, 7:48 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3247
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Drafting a WR
I wish we had the cap space to sign Wes Welker. The Pats shouldn't let him get away but it looks like they will.


December 19th, 2012, 6:02 pm
Profile
Post Re: Drafting a WR
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I wish we had the cap space to sign Wes Welker. The Pats shouldn't let him get away but it looks like they will.


No way... He's a good player, but he's not a game changer. He's a systems guy that's a pure possession WR. He's not going to be able to come in here and teach us NE's offense, and that's the only offense he'll put up those kind of numbers in. He's a "possession WR" and that's about it.


December 19th, 2012, 7:29 pm
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3247
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Drafting a WR
Dude is a playmaker. He finds ways to get open and creates yards after the catch. Yes I'm sure system has a lot to do with production, but you still gotta admire what the guy can do. He's shifty, but he's also out of our price range. Mike Wallace is young and talented but he wants a huge contract and he's a bit of a prima donna. Danny Amendola is good but he can't stay healthy, we have enough guys like that. Bowe and Jennings are out based on the money they'd want as well.


December 19th, 2012, 8:16 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2289
Post Re: Drafting a WR
So far of all the names Ive heard I like Braylon, Manningham (assuming it wasnt a multi-year contract in SF) and the most interesting could be Massoiqua (or however you spell it) sincde I believe he played with Stafford at Georgia if it is who I am thinking it is.


December 19th, 2012, 8:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Drafting a WR
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Dude is a playmaker. He finds ways to get open and creates yards after the catch. Yes I'm sure system has a lot to do with production, but you still gotta admire what the guy can do. He's shifty, but he's also out of our price range. Mike Wallace is young and talented but he wants a huge contract and he's a bit of a prima donna. Danny Amendola is good but he can't stay healthy, we have enough guys like that. Bowe and Jennings are out based on the money they'd want as well.


IMO it's the system that allows him to get open. He's not particularly fast, it's just the OC and and offensive system that gets him open. He would have Nate B type of production here, but he's going to cost north of $6.5 million, and he's not a deep threat that will take pressure off of CJ.

I'd rather have Braylon, Massoquio, or Hixon, true big-body #2 WR types.


December 19th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Post Re: Drafting a WR
conversion02 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.


Not 100% sure but didnt that Ben Watson help them win a SB before they let him walk away?

That said I Agree with your pt. TE is a Rd 2+ Pick (and preferrably 3+ unless they are a special talent).


No, he didn't. They drafted him the last year they won a SB (2004 season), and he played in 1 game early in the season, and was injured for the rest of the year. They never won a SB with his "help," he was never a significant part of their offense, and his career was plagued with injuries. He was largely a bust, but admittedly, it was primarily because of injuries.


Umm, what? You mean he didn't help by grabbing 49 balls for over 640 yards on a 12-4 team that barely lost to a dominant colts team? His worst year was 22 grabs and that's because Brady blew out his knee in the first game. He was hyped to be a tony Gonzalez, but seriously? There's only one gonzo, and Watson didn't live up to that ridiculous hype. NE wanted him back when he hit FA, but didn't want him back at $4M+/yr. don't blame them. Few TEs are worth that.

The guy has missed 12 games after his rookie year (8 freaking seasons - he tore his ACL after the first game his rookie year). Stafford and delmas have missed more in half the time in the league. I guess that is what you call injury plagued career, but the rest of the world doesn't. He's doing decent in Cleveland, but you don't hear about him because Cleveland is trash.

Outside of the fact you're wrong about Watson, you are right about not drafting a TE early. It's a massive crapshoot.

Also, Olsen was a first rounder who did quite well in chicago. He was traded for a 3rd rounder, not chump change. Chicago thought they had Olsens replacement on the roster (martz was obsessed with kellen davis for some goofy reason, but he was a good blocker) and Olsen was barely average as a blocker. Definately not a fit in the Martz offense.

Just a thought, when the last time you saw gronk or Hernandez or graham make any consistently good blocks? They're all below average blockers and tweeter slot receivers, like scheffler.


Do you post this stuff just to be a jackass? The question was "didn't he help them win some SBs" and the answer is emphatically "NO," even by your account they didn't win the SB his best year in NE. Ben Watson took no significant part in any NE Superbowl, period.


December 19th, 2012, 8:33 pm
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3247
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Drafting a WR
Massaquoi would be an ok option and not that expensive. However, he hasn't lived up to his potential after being picked in the second round. We could probably get the same production from a later round draft pick.


December 19th, 2012, 8:59 pm
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10327
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Drafting a WR
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Do you post this stuff just to be a jackass? The question was "didn't he help them win some SBs" and the answer is emphatically "NO," even by your account they didn't win the SB his best year in NE. Ben Watson took no significant part in any NE Superbowl, period.


Post what, a response to where you said he was never a significant part of their offense? Oh wait, let me bold it for you...

wjb21ndtown wrote:
No, he didn't. They drafted him the last year they won a SB (2004 season), and he played in 1 game early in the season, and was injured for the rest of the year. They never won a SB with his "help," he was never a significant part of their offense, and his career was plagued with injuries. He was largely a bust, but admittedly, it was primarily because of injuries.


Maybe how YOU said he was a bust and i disagreed using facts rather than generic opinion. Is it because i actually talked about his few injuries that didnt derail his career? You brought up the non-facts, not me. I simply disputed your points, with the exception of the Super Bowl comment and added he didn't live up to the hype, much like KW2, but considering his draft status, the T Gonz comparisons that fans at draft time were making were ridiculous.

Maybe you should read what YOU write rather than starting poop and calling people names. Go ahead, flame away, I know one if your patented "FU shove a dick in your rectum douchebag" comments is coming.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


December 19th, 2012, 10:07 pm
Profile
Post Re: Drafting a WR
conversion02 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
No, he didn't. They drafted him the last year they won a SB (2004 season), and he played in 1 game early in the season, and was injured for the rest of the year. They never won a SB with his "help," he was never a significant part of their offense, and his career was plagued with injuries. He was largely a bust, but admittedly, it was primarily because of injuries.


Maybe how YOU said he was a bust and i disagreed using facts rather than generic opinion. Is it because i actually talked about his few injuries that didnt derail his career? You brought up the non-facts, not me. I simply disputed your points, with the exception of the Super Bowl comment and added he didn't live up to the hype, much like KW2, but considering his draft status, the T Gonz comparisons that fans at draft time were making were ridiculous.


1) That's not how you responded to me. You said "he didn't help by..." the "help" was referring to "helping" win NE a SB, and no, he didn't "help" win a SB with those stats, because they LOST the SB with those stats.

2) I didn't say he was a bust, I said he was "largely considered a bust due to injury issues." You want to dispute that? He played in 29 games his first 3 seasons, never catching more than 4 TDs, and never amassing more than 650 yards. He wasn't reliable for injury reasons, and his only complete season (his last season at NE) NE was already phasing him out. He caught 41 passes for 404 yards his final season in NE, and they let him go for nothing. You don't think that's a bust? You'd be happy out of that production from a first round TE pick? We get MORE than that out of Pett, and most think HE'S a bust.

conversion02 wrote:
Maybe you should read what YOU write rather than starting poop and calling people names. Go ahead, flame away, I know one if your patented "FU shove a dick in your rectum douchebag" comments is coming.


I was reading what you responded to, and the discussion was contextual.

I'm glad that you finally admit that you knew that your post was going to entice me to write a mean nasty comment, I'm glad you finally admit that you do this sh!t on purpose, and I'm glad that you antagonize me into this nonsense. It will work every time, I promise you that. Every time you act like a douche bag, I will in fact call you a douche bag. I knew this crap all along, maybe now people will realize what you do and put a stop to it.

I'm not sure why you even post on this site. I haven't see a substantive, meaningful post out of you in a year. Your main purpose on here lately seems to be to follow me around, act like a troll, and try to pick on anything possible in my post. The above post is a prime example. I made an intelligible, accurate post, and you combat it improperly. You use the language of "helping" which was in the SB discussion and you use it to attack the portion of my post dealing with "significance." Make up your mind.

If your purpose of following me around is to get me to leave, so be it, just say so. I'd leave this site in a minute, and it wouldn't bother me one bit. This site is nothing more of a distraction from legal research. When I get bogged down and need a break I pop on here for 15 minutes and post away, go back to work, pop back on 2 hours later when I'm bogged down again, and come back. I can do that anywhere. But the fact of the matter is I post more meaningful topics on here, controversial topics that actually start conversation, start new conversations, and keep more conversations going that any other single poster on this site. I don't care to take credit for it, and I don't do it for recognition, but it is true, and there are times when this site would be eerily silent if not for me starting convos and keeping convos going. I don't want a medal or anything for it, and it's my pleasure to keep things going, but douche bags like yourself preclude that conversation.

You're more of a conversation stopper than starter. You rip people, like Billy Sims Von Miller comment, and say ridiculous things like "I couldn't read further..." Well, good for you... Don't read further, don't ask him, don't develop a conversation, but I have to ask, what is your M.O. for posting that comment in the first place? To start a fight? To make him feel dumb about his opinion? It certainly wasn't to develop a thought or any positive intention, so why?

I really hope the moderators do something about you and do something about you soon, because the fact of the matter is, you're just flat out no good for this site.


December 20th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jrd66 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.