View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Getting ready for: The Falcons 
Modmin Dude

Post Getting ready for: The Falcons
MNF on Sat night? Yup, must be late December :D

PFT wrote:
Falcons say no bad blood with Lions from last year
Posted by Josh Alper on December 18, 2012, 3:05 PM EST

Earlier this year, Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh drew the ire of Colts guard Mike McGlynn for appearing to celebrate after Suh’s block forced Colts tackle Winston Justice out of the game with an injury.

Suh denied that he was celebrating the injury, but it wasn’t the first time his reaction to an injured opponent led to heated words from one of the injured players’ opponents. Suh and Lions defensive end Cliff Avril got slammed by members of the Falcons last year for allegedly taunting Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan while he was hurt on the turf. The Lions players denied that and accused Falcons offensive linemen of playing dirty in an incident that would be forgotten the next month after Suh’s stomp on Thanksgiving Day against the Packers.

The Lions and Falcons meet in Detroit on Saturday night, which could be an opportunity to renew hostilities. The Falcons aren’t looking to stoke the flames, however. Coach Mike Smith said the incident “wasn’t a big deal” and said it would have no bearing on who wins this year’s game between the teams. Ryan also isn’t looking to revisit what happened last year.

“That’s a long time ago, and we’re a different football team right now; they’re a different football team,” Ryan said, via Josh Katzenstein of the Detroit News. “I have no idea (what they said). I was just kind of collecting myself, trying to get myself back onto the field, so I have no idea.”

With the Falcons securing home-field advantage in the NFC with a victory, they probably don’t need to rehash something from more than a year ago to find motivation this week. The Lions might need some, though. They haven’t shown much motivation during the six-game losing streak they carry into this game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... last-year/
Hmm, it would be a great time for the Lions to 'payback' Matt Ryan and the Falcons for their last visit to Ford Field headbang.gif

December 19th, 2012, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Getting ready for: The Falcons
I don't even know if I'll turn this bloodbath on...

December 19th, 2012, 11:08 am
Stadium Announcer

in a word...massacre!!

not watching!

December 19th, 2012, 12:49 pm
Modmin Dude

C'mon man! Did you stop watching during the 0-16 debacle? I sure as hell didn't. I watched each game during that horrid season, and if someone can make it thought that, then they can make it through anything!

Go Lions!
headbang.gif

December 19th, 2012, 12:55 pm
RIP Killer

So did I, but this team actually has talent and they're pissing it away. They've lost 3 OT games and tied a record for blowing double digit leads in the 4th quarter. So much for the comeback kids. They don't know how to hold a lead.

Baseball is only a couple months away and then I can watch a team with an owner who actually gives a damn and wants to win. Illitch may not be the brightest owner, but he opens the wallet and hires proven experience. Needless to say, he spends a lot, but he also has drawn over 3M fans for the past 3 years or so, making money. He opens the wallets and fills the seats. Ford has never seemed to care. I've suffered through enough ineptitude, I don't know if I'll keep paying for the Sunday ticket and giving my money to an organization that seems hell bent on remaining in the cellar. I'd watch games if they're on, but I can't see paying for them anymore.

December 19th, 2012, 1:09 pm
QB Coach

Either unfortunately or fortunately, I'll be at work for this game. I predict we'll be in it til the end then find a way to lose.

December 19th, 2012, 6:10 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Either unfortunately or fortunately, I'll be at work for this game. I predict we'll be in it til the end then find a way to lose.

Agree! Then they'll whip the Bears in the last game, and drop 4 to 5 spots in the selection order of the draft.

December 19th, 2012, 7:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:

PFT wrote:

Earlier this year, Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh drew the ire of Colts guard Mike McGlynn for appearing to celebrate after Suh’s block forced Colts tackle Winston Justice out of the game with an injury.

Suh denied that he was celebrating the injury, but it wasn’t the first time his reaction to an injured opponent led to heated words from one of the injured players’ opponents. Suh and Lions defensive end Cliff Avril got slammed by members of the Falcons last year for allegedly taunting Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan while he was hurt on the turf. The Lions players denied that and accused Falcons offensive linemen of playing dirty in an incident that would be forgotten the next month after Suh’s stomp on Thanksgiving Day against the Packers.

The Lions and Falcons meet in Detroit on Saturday night, which could be an opportunity to renew hostilities. The Falcons aren’t looking to stoke the flames, however. Coach Mike Smith said the incident “wasn’t a big deal” and said it would have no bearing on who wins this year’s game between the teams. Ryan also isn’t looking to revisit what happened last year.

“That’s a long time ago, and we’re a different football team right now; they’re a different football team,” Ryan said, via Josh Katzenstein of the Detroit News. “I have no idea (what they said). I was just kind of collecting myself, trying to get myself back onto the field, so I have no idea.”

With the Falcons securing home-field advantage in the NFC with a victory, they probably don’t need to rehash something from more than a year ago to find motivation this week. The Lions might need some, though. They haven’t shown much motivation during the six-game losing streak they carry into this game.

Hmm, it would be a great time for the Lions to 'payback' Matt Ryan and the Falcons for their last visit to Ford Field headbang.gif

Not to mention their first visit to Ford field when Ryan was a rookie. First play from scrimmage a 67, (can't remember the actual yardage. But, it was big.), TD pass. The rout was on from there.

December 20th, 2012, 1:18 am
All State

Not watching this one. Football is over for me this year with my fantasy football teams being knocked out of the playoffs too.

Just like every other year for Lions fans, it's time to look forward to seeing what top 5 draft pick they may or may not squander on a luxury pick instead of a position of need. :roll:

December 20th, 2012, 10:59 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Never missed a game--even when I was living in Europe and had to trudge through the snow in the night to listen to an audio stream. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

December 20th, 2012, 11:53 am
League MVP

TheRealWags wrote:

PFT wrote:

Not sure it would be "great." That would just confirm that this a talented team that just wasted away a season. I rather, they lose out, can the coach, maybe even the GM and come back with the same core group but a different approach, better draft, and better coaching.

December 20th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Varsity Captain

Quote:
Not to mention their first visit to Ford field when Ryan was a rookie. First play from scrimmage a 67, (can't remember the actual yardage. But, it was big.), TD pass. The rout was on from there.[/quote]

Actually was in Atlanta. Had best seats. 50 yard line 3 rows off the field.
I wore my lions jersey. So proud. Lions were poised to have a break out season.
Atlanta had a rookei qb and a rookie left tackle. Lions just had to crush a young Atlanta team with a new head coach.
First play was a run left by turner for 12 yards. Then again for another 13.
Then WHAM! Inside seam route down the left side for an easy td! Our defense (like always) looked like sh@@.
We get the ball and go 3 and out. Kitna a looked like junk. After a few more scores, we were being slaughtered! I was being heckled and taunted and it was all but over. Here it was a rookie head coach, rookie qb, and a rookie left tackle were owning the lions(it was supposed to be their year!!)
Same song n dance. Same ol lions. Building careers of other players and squashing all of us fans hopes and dreams.
0-16

December 20th, 2012, 1:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'll be watching the game as I always do. Go Lions!

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 20th, 2012, 1:30 pm
RIP Killer

Brings back memories of 2008. We opened the season against rookie QB Matt Ryan and the Falcons as heavy favorites. Ryan's first NFL pass was a 60+ yard TD as the Falcons raced out to a 21-0 first qtr lead, and the Lions were on their way to 0-16...

December 20th, 2012, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions Four Downs: Team must limit mistakes against Atlanta Falcons
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on December 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM,
updated December 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

First Down: Play with pride
This has been a difficult season for the Lions, falling well short of expectations, but they owe it to the fans to close strong.

Beating the NFC's top team might be a tall order, but Detroit can't get blown out like they did last week against the Arizona Cardinals.

The Lions must maintain their focus, play hard for 60 minutes, and give the fans that paid admission their money's worth.

Second Down: Someone not named Calvin needs to step up
Calvin Johnson has been carrying the Lions offense like a backpack. He's responsible for nearly half of the team's receiving yardage over the past two weeks because no one else has stepped up to share the load.

Kris Durham, Mike Thomas, Tony Scheffler, even Brian Robiskie, someone from that group needs to make some plays against the Falcons if the Lions want any shot to pull off the upset.

Third Down: Next man up at cornerback
Lions cornerback Chris Houston has played well all season, but the Falcons have two elite wide receivers in Roddy White and Julio Jones. Detroit will need its other defensive backs to be at the top of their games, otherwise Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan could have a field day.

Fourth Down: Play a clean football game
The Falcons have thrived this season because they limit the number of mistakes they make on the field. Atlanta commits the fewest penalties in the NFL and they do a decent job protecting the football.

Detroit was sloppy in last week's loss to Arizona and can't afford to make the same mental mistakes again this week.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... atlan.html

December 21st, 2012, 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next