View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage record 

Will he break Jerry Rice's record this year?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 20

Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage record 
Post Re: Megatron threatens single-season receiving yardage recor
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For all the criticism of CJ (some of it deserved), one thing that I haven't seen mentioned much/at all is that he's injured. Remember earlier this season when it came out that he had an injured hand? That will certainly affect his ability to catch the ball. It's not an excuse, but it is a factor. Early in the season I was wondering why he was dropping more passes than normal, and then the story about his hand came out, and it made sense. If he was 100%, I don't think we'd be talking about any issues with him.

TJ, my issue with this is, 1) his injuries seem petty, at best. He comes out and says he's injured, Schwartz comes out and says he's not, then he comes out and says he's not; and 2) it's not that the ball was hitting him in the hands and he couldn't "clutch" the ball, he wasn't even trying to get into position to be able to make the grab on a good number of plays.

CJ had an awesome first 1/2 yesterday, awesome, but once again played uninspired football in the 2nd half. We'll never get the real answer as to why, so all we can do is speculate. The players will never come out and openly criticize the coaching staff, and they won't criticize the players efforts, period. So then, what's to explain for the sudden change in attitude/effort? Here's my take...

The team played great UNTIL Schwartz once again called a T.O. with 0:50 left in the 1/2, we picked up a first down (why we called the T.O. or even tried to pick up the first down is beyond me) and then we promptly let the clock expire. IMO moves like that frustrate the team, they send a message to the offense that "we don't believe in you, and we're going to ride out this 4pnt lead, because WE think you're going to SCREW SOMETHING UP!" I think the team hates it. They came out in the 3rd Q and played uninspired football right across the board. It wasn't just the conservative playcalling, we didn't execute the plays that were called with the same degree of energy. To me it looked like the team collective, perhaps even subconsciously, thought to themselves "oh great, here we go again, we're going to play conservative, run the ball, and blow the game." That's what I saw.

Worse than that, 3:30 left in the game, we're down two scores, NO sense of urgency, NO sense of "lets get this done"... We were just out there strolling in the park, playing RIGHT into GBs hands, picking up 8-10 yards here and there, and destroying the clock. We do that TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

IMO this team doesn't believe in Schwarts, at all. The D may like his thuggish ways, but the offense can't stand him. IMO that's why Staff is playing poorly, CJ is playing poorly, and Titus went on his hissy fit. We go into games ill prepared, we can't manage the clock, we don't take advantage of the opportunities we have, and we flat out LET the other team back into the game. We've literally tied an NFL RECORD for blowing double digit leads in 3 consecutive games, that's pathetic. We're going nowhere with this clown, and IMO it shows in the attitude of the players.

December 11th, 2012, 5:04 pm
RIP Killer

What rubbish.

Don't let the door hit you in the rectum on your way off the wagon.

December 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm
League MVP

Gentlemen...play nice.

And wjb, the reason for the t.o. and then went for the first down was to ensure that GB didn't get the ball back before the half. We'd have been punting into the wind and therefor give GB a short field. That's pretty much a no brainier and I'm not sure how that draws critism. The question you should be asking is "where was this kind of play calling at the end of the Indy game?".

And on a side note...GB had all the momentum at the end of the half ( really since the fumble recovery td) if they got the ball back I believe they would have scored.

December 11th, 2012, 7:31 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
regularjoe12 wrote:
Gentlemen...play nice.

And wjb, the reason for the t.o. and then went for the first down was to ensure that GB didn't get the ball back before the half. We'd have been punting into the wind and therefor give GB a short field. That's pretty much a no brainier and I'm not sure how that draws critism. The question you should be asking is "where was this kind of play calling at the end of the Indy game?".

And on a side note...GB had all the momentum at the end of the half ( really since the fumble recovery td) if they got the ball back I believe they would have scored.

With our secondary the way they are yes they would of just marched down in probably 4 plays and score.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 11th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
regularjoe12 wrote:
Gentlemen...play nice.

RJ, I understand getting the first down, but why give up? Why have 50 seconds on the clock and nothing? I can see maybe some "conservative plays" that have "big play potential" (screens, and go routes...). Hell, take a knee if no one is open, but at least try). To me it looked like the team was ready to rush up to the line and go, and they looked dejected when they realized that we were just going to take a knee.

December 12th, 2012, 4:44 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Gentlemen...play nice.

RJ, I understand getting the first down, but why give up? Why have 50 seconds on the clock and nothing? I can see maybe some "conservative plays" that have "big play potential" (screens, and go routes...). Hell, take a knee if no one is open, but at least try). To me it looked like the team was ready to rush up to the line and go, and they looked dejected when they realized that we were just going to take a knee.

By the time we got the 1st down there was only 30 seconds left...on our own twenty facing the wind in a snow storm. I actually agree with the coaching staff on this one.

December 12th, 2012, 8:05 pm
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions receivers coach Shawn Jefferson pushing Calvin Johnson to greatness
By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on December 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions receivers coach Shawn Jefferson and Calvin Johnson recently had a candid conversation.

It occurred after Jefferson realized Johnson had a chance to break Jerry Rice's record for most receiving yards in a season. As a former NFL receiver, Jefferson understood how prestigious Rice's record was. Jefferson believed Johnson could break it. He was not sure if Johnson wanted to go for it.

That is when Jefferson, whose persona is a combination of Southern Baptist preacher meets Ray Lewis, challenged Johnson.

Jefferson asked Johnson if he wanted to break Rice's record. Johnson's response, coupled with Jefferson's motivation, explains why they are only 182 yards away from their goal as Detroit (4-10) prepares to play against the Atlanta Falcons (12-2) on Saturday.

"You tell me you want it. Show me," Jefferson said. "That's my whole thing with him. When I first realized we could get this record, I asked if he wanted it. He said yes. I said here's how you get it. You got to eat it; you got to live it; you got to talk it; you got to breathe it. Every conversation you have that is not about breaking that record means you're not going to get it. Every meal you have, if you don't think that's a football going into your mouth when you pick up your food, you're not going to get it. Every breath you take, if you ain't inhaling and exhaling that record, you ain't going to get it.

"Last game (against Arizona), when I saw them do what they do, and saw him do what he did (10 receptions for 121 yards), he wants it. He's going after it. I told him if they take 11 guys and put them on you, and Matthew (Stafford) throws you the ball, get it if you want it. There's a way That's the way I was raised in this league by (Bill) Parcells. I try to instill those same values in him."

Those standards have become invaluable this season.

Johnson currently has 1,667 receiving yards and five touchdowns with two games remaining in the regular season. Rice's all-time record is 1,848 yards, and Johnson needs to average 91 receiving yards in the next two games to break the mark.
Detroit's receiver has at least 100 receiving yards in the team's last seven games. Johnson is averaging 147 receiving yards a game during that stretch, and had 207 yards and one touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings on November 11.

Outwardly, Johnson continues to downplay the possibility of breaking Rice's record.

"It hasn't changed for me," Johnson said. "Still working, man. We got two games left. Two chances to get a win to get something positive going."

The most overlooked part of Johnson's run to the top is he has done it without much help.

Detroit is without receivers Nate Burleson, Titus Young and Ryan Broyles, because each player sustained a season-ending injury. The Lions are running with Kris Durham, Mike Thomas and Brian Robiskie, who have combined for nine receptions and 93 yards and one touchdown with Detroit this season.

Jefferson, who played 13 NFL seasons under the coaching mentorship of Dan Reeves, Bobby Ross and Parcells, refuses to make any excuses for Johnson.

"Everything I ever learned in this game, from the stuff I learned from Parcells about when all the chips are down down, you still find a way, I've tried to instill in C.J.," Jefferson said. "I can make excuses for C.J. and say, 'Man, this record? I don't know. All our receivers are gone. You're the only guy I got. They are going to double you. You might not be able to get it.' No. I told him you've got to get it. Now is the time to get it, when they got two men on you. Two? That's a good matchup for us.

"When he comes to the sidelines, it's mayhem. I don't care if you got two guys on you. Make that play. If you want the record, if they put five guys on you, make it if you want it."

Johnson has made Detroit's front office look brilliant for locking him up this past offseason.

Detroit rewarded Johnson with the largest contract of any NFL receiver in history this offseason (seven-years, $132 million). Johnson emerged as the NFL's best receiver with 96 receptions for 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns during the 2011 regular season. He had 12 catches for 211 yards in two touchdowns in a playoff game against New Orleans.

Now Johnson has the opportunity to break another record.

"Here's the thing that I'm proud of," Johnson said. "I haven't assumed he knows anything. I haven't assumed one step of this whole process that he knows something. I coach him like he doesn't know anything. Every day when he comes into this building, he's getting coached. He's getting challenged. I don't assume he knows the most minute things. If I'm here 10 years from now, every day he walks into this building, he's going to get coached.

"He told me when he first came here that he wanted to be great. I said, 'You want to be great?' I asked him again do you want to be great. He said, 'I want to be great.' I asked him again. I wanted to make sure he knew what he was saying. I asked him a fifth time. I told him good. On days you don't feel like being great, I'm going to coach you like you want to be great. If you come in and partied it up too much last night and don't feel like practicing today, I'm going to coach you like you want to be great. If you're tired and a little sore; you don't feel like going today; you want to take it easy; I'm going to coach you like the person who told me they want wanted be great. I owe you that."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ach_1.html
IMO they need more coaches like Jefferson....and he needs to coach up the rest of the WR corps as well.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 21st, 2012, 1:54 pm
Heisman Winner

A man playings amongst boys. Congrats CJ. If ever a WR (non diva) deserved to break a Jerry Rice record, it's you my friend. Literally, the only thing I will take away from this pathetic season. =D>

December 23rd, 2012, 12:40 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

What's even more awesome is that he has barely over 100 yards to break 2K on the season. I wonder where you put him in the MVP discussion should he get over that. I understand the Manning, Brady, and AP talk, I really do but Calvin could do something this season that no receiver (not even Jerry Rice) has ever done. I understand that his TD total is low and that would hurt him but he is setting career marks in receptions and yards. Aside from the TD's, he's basically had the greatest WR season ever or at least something close to it.

December 23rd, 2012, 1:06 pm
League MVP

Footsoldier32 wrote:
What's even more awesome is that he has barely over 100 yards to break 2K on the season. I wonder where you put him in the MVP discussion should he get over that. I understand the Manning, Brady, and AP talk, I really do but Calvin could do something this season that no receiver (not even Jerry Rice) has ever done. I understand that his TD total is low and that would hurt him but he is setting career marks in receptions and yards. Aside from the TD's, he's basically had the greatest WR season ever or at least something close to it.

If we had a winning record he'd be at the top of list.

December 23rd, 2012, 1:37 pm
Heisman Winner

Footsoldier32 wrote:

What he did was awesome, but there is no such thing as a most valuable player in the league on a 4-11 team..

December 23rd, 2012, 1:58 pm
aManNamedSuh wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

What he did was awesome, but there is no such thing as a most valuable player in the league on a 4-11 team..

I couldn't agree with you more.

John Gruden said it best, "it's an awesome record, and CJ is an amazing athlete and player, but the record is slightly tainted with all the garbage yards that the Lions pick up in the 4th Q when their down multiple scores."

December 23rd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Team MVP

Can this world FINALLY put to rest who is the better WR between CJ and Fitz??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 23rd, 2012, 5:51 pm
Position Coach

kdsberman wrote:

i like CJ in that debate but Fitz is deadly when he has a QB with better throwing ability than me

December 23rd, 2012, 6:08 pm
kdsberman wrote:

I didn't know there was this huge debate between the two players, but I don't see how any one season can set the two apart.

LF is playing on a garbage team with a garbage Qb, CJ has averaged one TD every 4ish games, and both WRs are on teams with losing records.

Like Gruden said, CJs record is impressive, but there's a lot of garbage yards in there, the team is losing (unlike the 49ers who went to the playoffs the year Rice broke the record), and CJs stats are far more meaningless than Rice's were in '95. Further, I know the record is for total yards, but Rice had 15 TD's, 15! How many does Calvin have this year? 4?5?

December 23rd, 2012, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next