View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions RB situation 
Walk On

Post Lions RB situation
Watching the lion running backs this year have brought me to one conclusion there's no clear cut dominant starter, but 3rd down backs swapping Downs. I know there's quite a few guys on this forum that won't agree, but we need to make a big splash that will turn our offense on its ear and scare the league. We need to open our check book and bring in CJ2K to go with our CJ if titans pass on 16 mil. he's got them on the hook for. The lesser option I wouldn't be opposed to is Reggie Bush with LeShoure as a powerback but the Best experiment is over. I guess our big question woud be how to get him plus our FA's we need under the cap. That's probably why this is a dream scenario. Side note: Focus draft on Defense only. Thoughts? We need to fix this RB situation.

December 28th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Lions RB situation
Mufasa wrote:
Watching the lion running backs this year have brought me to one conclusion there's no clear cut dominant starter, but 3rd down backs swapping Downs. I know there's quite a few guys on this forum that won't agree, but we need to make a big splash that will turn our offense on its ear and scare the league. We need to open our check book and bring in CJ2K to go with our CJ if titans pass on 16 mil. he's got them on the hook for. The lesser option I wouldn't be opposed to is Reggie Bush with LeShoure as a powerback but the Best experiment is over. I guess our big question woud be how to get him plus our FA's we need under the cap. That's probably why this is a dream scenario. Side note: Focus draft on Defense only. Thoughts? We need to fix this RB situation.
Just say NO to 27+ year old RBs who haven't done crap in the past 2-3 seasons.

December 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree we need a speed back, especially if Linehan returns. It's just not the same offense without a threat out of the backfield. Think we can get somebody younger (and cheaper) though, even if it's through an early pick in the draft. Look at how D. Martin energized the Bucs or what D. Wilson is turning into for the G-Men. (ducks for cover)

December 28th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I think a speedy RB like Best, can be found in the later rounds in this years draft. Also, correct me if I am wrong.. but isn't this draft deep at the RB position?

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 28th, 2012, 3:06 pm
League MVP

LionsFan4Life wrote:
I think a speedy RB like Best, can be found in the later rounds in this years draft. Also, correct me if I am wrong.. but isn't this draft deep at the RB position?

you are pretty much wrong, there arent any premium backs in this draft. i wouldnt be surprised if there were no 1st rd RBs taken this year. There are some of the middle round type of guys available to choose from but none that rival Best s talent.

I have no problem with the Lions going after Bush who has the speed, is still only 27 years old, is very good in the passing game and has <1000 carries in his career. I dont think Wags' comments at all apply to someone like Bush. He no longer has that "star" profile so they are not going to have to pay him huge money and he fits exactly what the team needs. Besides the cutoff age for RBs is supposedly 30 not 27 although its highly debateable and more applicable to power type runners that take a beating.

December 28th, 2012, 5:13 pm
The Legend wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

you are pretty much wrong, there arent any premium backs in this draft. i wouldnt be surprised if there were no 1st rd RBs taken this year. There are some of the middle round type of guys available to choose from but none that rival Best s talent.

I have no problem with the Lions going after Bush who has the speed, is still only 27 years old, is very good in the passing game and has <1000 carries in his career. I dont think Wags' comments at all apply to someone like Bush. He no longer has that "star" profile so they are not going to have to pay him huge money and he fits exactly what the team needs. Besides the cutoff age for RBs is supposedly 30 not 27 although its highly debateable and more applicable to power type runners that take a beating.

If we can get Bush for a reasonable salary, I'd love to land him. He's a good player, has great hands, and I do think he has something left in the tank. That said, I think we'll have to over-pay him to get him to come to Detroit. I see Bush going to either 1) a contender, or 2) another "Hollywood" type city (a NY team, a Cali team, another FL team, ect.). While he may have lost some of his "star power" in the NFL, I don't think (at least in his mind) that he's out of that "Hollywood loop," yet. And, like we've seen before (Kobe anyone?) it's not "cool" to live in, come to, or play for a Detroit team.

That said, I'd still like to look at Felix Jones. I think he has something to offer this team as well.

December 28th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I have to agree with wjb's points about Bush. I don't think he'd be willing to come to Detroit at a price that's reasonable. I do have to say that I'd prefer him to Felix Jones. As far as I can recall, that guy has been hurt more or less all of his career and even when not hurt, he hasn't made a huge impact. I'm not saying that we need to go out and get an all star. Let's be honest, hardly anyone will be succesful running behind our O-Line but I think we can do better than Felix Jones.

December 29th, 2012, 9:26 pm
Footsoldier32 wrote:
I have to agree with wjb's points about Bush. I don't think he'd be willing to come to Detroit at a price that's reasonable. I do have to say that I'd prefer him to Felix Jones. As far as I can recall, that guy has been hurt more or less all of his career and even when not hurt, he hasn't made a huge impact. I'm not saying that we need to go out and get an all star. Let's be honest, hardly anyone will be succesful running behind our O-Line but I think we can do better than Felix Jones.

I don't think we need a back that's all that great, honestly. I want someone back there without fumble issues, that's a legit football player, that has some years of experience, that can teach something to Leshoure and Bell, and provide some carries/play a role/and provide some depth. IMO, Jones would do all of those things well. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have some hard-on for Jones, and I'd love a better back, but that said, I think he can work and I think he would come at a reasonable price. I wasn't huge on Michael Bush, but I would have loved to have had him on our team last year. Anyone that can fill that sort of role, IMO would suit us just fine.

Jone's injuries don't scare me, because he more or less gets banged up and worn down. It's not like Javid Best where he gets popped once and he's done. It's more he grinds and grinds and grinds, and pop goes an ankle or hammy, or something like that. I'd love him to get 10-15 PLAYS (not carries, just plays, passing plays, etc) and that's about it. Less if he's banged up, more if we have someone else that's banged up.

Danny Woodhead or Bernard Scott are the only other backs I would be happy about us signing, and I wouldn't mind giving up a later round pick for Chris Ivory.

Mendenhall has too many big injury issues (and a big recent one), Hillis is more like a Leshoure player anyhow, and Green has fumbling issues.

December 29th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Walk On

I know, I'm the one who originally brought up bringing Bush here, but after reading below. I can say with confidence, we have no shot at Bush he's going home to San Diego as a Free Agent especially with they're RB issues. I can't see a more perfect situation for him to end his career with his home town Chargers who needs a starter. Maybe we'll land a similar yet older back in Steven Jackson who's comfortable and familiar in Lenihan's Offense if he's still around or Chris Johnson who Schwartz and other ex-titans staff he's familiar with, if Titans let him go.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

If we can get Bush for a reasonable salary, I'd love to land him. He's a good player, has great hands, and I do think he has something left in the tank. That said, I think we'll have to over-pay him to get him to come to Detroit. I see Bush going to either 1) a contender, or 2) another "Hollywood" type city (a NY team, a Cali team, another FL team, ect.). While he may have lost some of his "star power" in the NFL, I don't think (at least in his mind) that he's out of that "Hollywood loop," yet. And, like we've seen before (Kobe anyone?) it's not "cool" to live in, come to, or play for a Detroit team.

That said, I'd still like to look at Felix Jones. I think he has something to offer this team as well.

December 30th, 2012, 1:18 am
League MVP

Mufasa wrote:
I know, I'm the one who originally brought up bringing Bush here, but after reading below. I can say with confidence, we have no shot at Bush he's going home to San Diego as a Free Agent especially with they're RB issues. I can't see a more perfect situation for him to end his career with his home town Chargers who needs a starter. Maybe we'll land a similar yet older back in Steven Jackson who's comfortable and familiar in Lenihan's Offense if he's still around or Chris Johnson who Schwartz and other ex-titans staff he's familiar with, if Titans let him go.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

steven jackson is a player id be worried about declining. i like him but he s done a lot of the heavy lifting for the Rams over the years. Chris Johnson if he gets cut would be a good consideration but how much money is he going to want. Also he s declined quite a bit and isnt going to get much better unless we improve our OL.

December 30th, 2012, 8:11 am
RIP Killer

He also said he would rather retire than continue playing and losing or becoming ineffective. He also said he wants to retire as a ram. He wants to go out on top, when he feels like its quitting time, like Barry (or so he said).

It's pretty slim to none that he would ever come to Detroit. Not saying its impossible, just based on what he's said so far this season, sure seems like a pipe dream.

December 30th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I think we can draft Shoelace in the middle rounds of the draft to take over Best's role. And I think he would do very good in that role in the NFL.

December 30th, 2012, 2:10 pm

I'm sure fans of 31 other teams are saying this as well, but how come we didn't grab Alfred Morris in the SIXTH ROUND?!?

December 31st, 2012, 11:02 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm sure fans of 31 other teams are saying this as well, but how come we didn't grab Alfred Morris in the SIXTH ROUND?!?

Probably because we didn't hire Mike Shanahan as our head coach and don't run a one cut zone blocking scheme that makes virtually any ok running back look like a hall of famer in the making.

December 31st, 2012, 11:14 am

MIKEL LESHOURE SUCKS. Just had to say it

December 31st, 2012, 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next