View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 9:59 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Getting ready for: Da Bearz Pt 2 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Getting ready for: Da Bearz Pt 2
What has Jason Fox been up to? His only problem that I know of has been his strength, so if he's been improving at that steadily who says he won't be good enough to start next year? Aside from maybe RR, he's easily the best run blocker on the team and has looked good enough to start. What really needs to happen with the o-line is simply to trim the unneeded fat. Continue grooming the youth (Nagy/Fox/Reiff/Hilliard) until at least 2 are good enough to start, then start releasing the vet O-linemen (Backus, Raiola, Peterman, Cherilus) one by one and replace them accordingly.

Also, that Bills guard Urbik got locked up for 4 years with the Bills for just $13.3 million.

December 29th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Shotty wrote:
What has Jason Fox been up to? His only problem that I know of has been his strength, so if he's been improving at that steadily who says he won't be good enough to start next year? Aside from maybe RR, he's easily the best run blocker on the team and has looked good enough to start. What really needs to happen with the o-line is simply to trim the unneeded fat. Continue grooming the youth (Nagy/Fox/Reiff/Hilliard) until at least 2 are good enough to start, then start releasing the vet O-linemen (Backus, Raiola, Peterman, Cherilus) one by one and replace them accordingly.

Also, that Bills guard Urbik got locked up for 4 years with the Bills for just $13.3 million.

The Bills were smart to lock him up, he probably would have gotten more than that in the open market.

Jason Fox has been hurt, multiple times (foot and knee for sure). The knee he had to have surgery on. I know Naggy hasn't been able to stay healthy. Corey Hilliard has played for the Colts, Patriots, Browns and now the Lions since 2007. I really don't think it's wise to rely on those guys.

If we can get a starting caliber LT in FA, that's fine, but if not, IMO we have to land one in the draft on day 1.

You say RR is the best run blocker on the team. To that I just laugh. IMO Sims, and Gos are both better run blockers. RR has looked horrible, even when run blocking as a TE. That's pretty sad.

December 29th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

The Bills were smart to lock him up, he probably would have gotten more than that in the open market.

Jason Fox has been hurt, multiple times (foot and knee for sure). The knee he had to have surgery on. I know Naggy hasn't been able to stay healthy. Corey Hilliard has played for the Colts, Patriots, Browns and now the Lions since 2007. I really don't think it's wise to rely on those guys.

If we can get a starting caliber LT in FA, that's fine, but if not, IMO we have to land one in the draft on day 1.

You say RR is the best run blocker on the team. To that I just laugh. IMO Sims, and Gos are both better run blockers. RR has looked horrible, even when run blocking as a TE. That's pretty sad.

Schwartz and Linehan were both asked about Fox recently and both had very positive things to say. They said they see him contributing a lot, either at guard or tackle, in the near future.

December 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm
League MVP

Shotty wrote:

if they had even the smallest bit of confidence in fox and reiff you would think they would be getting legitimate playing time in games to at least see if they may have a chance to start next year and help plan the offseason. what kind of team is 4-11 and goes down to the wire playing there veterans, what the f... do they have to lose at this point?

December 29th, 2012, 9:43 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Schwartz and Linehan were both asked about Fox recently and both had very positive things to say. They said they see him contributing a lot, either at guard or tackle, in the near future.

They also said that Culbreath was going to be starting at RT for us THIS YEAR and allegedly dumped him for a pot bust. No starter on that line would have been cut for a weed bust, no one. I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths.

Notice Allenslions has more or less disappeared? Virtually everything that he and I argued about came true, my way... And he's allegedly an "insider"...

December 29th, 2012, 10:20 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
They also said that Culbreath was going to be starting at RT for us THIS YEAR and allegedly dumped him for a pot bust. No starter on that line would have been cut for a weed bust, no one. I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths.

Notice Allenslions has more or less disappeared? Virtually everything that he and I argued about came true, my way... And he's allegedly an "insider"...

The Culbreth starting at RT thing was always an allenslions 'hot tip', not a Schwartz and Linehan at a press conference thing. Fox was a legit starting quality guy coming out of college but has fought injuries. Now that he seems to be healthy, I think he can play a role.

December 29th, 2012, 11:10 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

The Culbreth starting at RT thing was always an allenslions 'hot tip', not a Schwartz and Linehan at a press conference thing. Fox was a legit starting quality guy coming out of college but has fought injuries. Now that he seems to be healthy, I think he can play a role.

I beg to differ, Schwartz and Linehan have always approached our OL Q's with "we have some young talent on our OL that is being groomed to take over for our vets," and Culbreath was championed by Schwartz a number of times.

I don't understand how someone that has had foot injuries and major knee injuries in the pros, and injuries in college, can be looked at as potential starters just because they are finally healthy, right now, for this one snapshot in time. He hasn't ever had the durability to stay healthy, not in college, and not even in a backup role in the NFL. What makes anyone think that's going to change at this point in his career?

December 29th, 2012, 11:26 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I beg to differ, Schwartz and Linehan have always approached our OL Q's with "we have some young talent on our OL that is being groomed to take over for our vets," and Culbreath was championed by Schwartz a number of times.

I don't understand how someone that has had foot injuries and major knee injuries in the pros, and injuries in college, can be looked at as potential starters just because they are finally healthy, right now, for this one snapshot in time. He hasn't ever had the durability to stay healthy, not in college, and not even in a backup role in the NFL. What makes anyone think that's going to change at this point in his career?

Every coach is gonna say that about their offensive line guys. Look at Green Bay--isn't that what they've done? Fox had a thing in college where he consciously put off surgery to play more games, and it came back to haunt him. That's the knee thing. The foot thing seemed to be a one-off. We'll see if he can put it together.

And guys, please stop demanding that they play the young guys to 'see what they have in them.' The NFL doesn't work that way. The coaches, like everyone else, are looking to keep their jobs first and foremost. Player development is a distant second. They're gonna play the players they think give them the best chance to win, and that's usually the veterans. If it didn't happen in the O-16 season, it definitely isn't going to happen now.

December 30th, 2012, 1:14 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
if they had even the smallest bit of confidence in fox and reiff you would think they would be getting legitimate playing time in games to at least see if they may have a chance to start next year and help plan the offseason. what kind of team is 4-11 and goes down to the wire playing there veterans, what the f... do they have to lose at this point?

Their Jobs sadly,, sot hey are going to do whats best for them, not for the long term of the team. Operating your team scared is no better than playing scared. Ot leads nowhere good.

December 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

tim jennings... another player not good enough for us to sign in the offseason. our front office is delusional

WHY DOES STAFFORD SUCK SO MUCH THIS YEAR

December 30th, 2012, 3:19 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Every coach is gonna say that about their offensive line guys. Look at Green Bay--isn't that what they've done? Fox had a thing in college where he consciously put off surgery to play more games, and it came back to haunt him. That's the knee thing. The foot thing seemed to be a one-off. We'll see if he can put it together.

And guys, please stop demanding that they play the young guys to 'see what they have in them.' The NFL doesn't work that way. The coaches, like everyone else, are looking to keep their jobs first and foremost. Player development is a distant second. They're gonna play the players they think give them the best chance to win, and that's usually the veterans. If it didn't happen in the O-16 season, it definitely isn't going to happen now.

You do see the logical fallacy is stating that "every coach is going to say that about those guys," when your prior argument was "Coach said Fox is good, so it must be true," right?

December 31st, 2012, 1:12 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Lots of talk that Jake Long will be out of Miami and on the market this off season.

I don't like him as an NFL left tackle, but right tackle, yes.

December 31st, 2012, 1:15 am
Blueskies wrote:
Lots of talk that Jake Long will be out of Miami and on the market this off season.

Where the hell do we put Reif then? RG? He's certainly not the answer at LT.

I haven't heard anything about Long struggling at LT, why don't you like him there?

December 31st, 2012, 1:29 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Well, I've watched maybe 2 Dolphins games over the last two years, so take it for what it's worth, but from what I read, he has been awful this season and he's struggled with injuries in the last two.

Coming out of Michigan, I was skeptical that he would emerge as a premier NFL LT. He just seemed like more of a road grader run blocking type tackle to me. With his multiple pro bowls, he seemed to have proven me wrong.

However, if he has regressed this year and has struggled with injuries, I wouldn't want the Lions to give him a fat contract with the expectations that he would be the starting LT for the next 5-7 years (which is likely what he'll be looking for).

December 31st, 2012, 2:46 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Where the hell do we put Reif then? RG? He's certainly not the answer at LT.

I haven't heard anything about Long struggling at LT, why don't you like him there?

He certainly isn't worth close to what he thinks he's worth and he has shown it this year. He went From a top 5 LT to a Backus lookalike in the span of about 20 games

December 31st, 2012, 10:17 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next