View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Schwartz 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Shwartz has got to go
I think there is no clearer indication that Schwartz deserves (but probably won't be) to be fired is Sunday's debacle in Arizona. There is no conceivable reason to get beat down the way they did to Arizona. None. Cardinals had lost 9 straight and were starting a rookie 6th round QB. Injuries, discipline etc issues aside, they still should have been able to beat that team. Losing 6 straight, and most likely 8, is a fireable offense in my eyes. Mayhew also. His inaction to actually address the areas of need through the draft is a lot to blame for the talent gulf between our top 5 or 6 players and the rest of the starters. How much should blame should Schwartz take for that, too? "I like Aaron Berry and Chris Houston as my starters" or "Gosder Cherilus is a starting caliber tackle in this league".

Disgusting. That's all I can say about this team. They make me want to vomit.

December 18th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I'm tired of hearing about these guys talking about the 'stability of their families' when talking about their future or their contract situations. Many of them make more in one season than we would in 6 years of working, and that's the low end guys. Their stability can be better created by them not getting involved with shady friends in shady business dealings. Instead of buying that brand new BMW 7 series, or the Bentley, buy something more economical. Tulloch himself makes more money than he should, and makes more in one season than most families will see in a lifetime. Phuck him and his opinions.
Once you are on the field, the status of your contract should be non-existant in a players mind. If that's something they are thinking about, then Schwartz isn't doing his job and they aren't doing theirs. That is a player, regardless of who it is, that needs to be released or traded. Worry about your damn contract with another team, and screw up for them.

again whining that NFL players make more than you...still you make a point, when the game starts it shouldnt matter. i dont buy tulloch s reasoning either

I'm not complaining about how much they make, or that they make more than me. I'm complaining about them acting like what they make in a given contract can't sustain their families for a lifetime. You should know the difference.

see bolded area

I think what he means to say is that Tulloch is not playing to the level of his contract. He is being paid more than he should because his play on the field isn't worth what he's getting in reality. I'm sure that's M2K's point.

December 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Lions' Jim Schwartz shoulders blame
Updated: December 18, 2012, 4:58 PM ET
Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz admitted Monday that his team's season has "gone off the rails" and the progress made during last year's run to the playoffs has become a distant memory.

Schwartz, who has lost at least 10 games in three of his four seasons as Lions coach, said the blame for the team's unfulfilled 2012 expectations rests entirely with him.

"The ultimate responsibility of the team is (with) the head coach, and I need to do a better job," he said. "4-10 isn't good enough."

Detroit's 38-10 loss at Arizona on Sunday was its sixth straight and the team's most lopsided defeat since a 48-3 loss at Baltimore in 2009. It also bucked the trend: After defeating Jacksonville on Nov. 4, Detroit lost its next five games by an average of 5.2 points, only to get hammered by the Cardinals.

Tight end Tony Scheffler said the Lions had chances to overcome four turnovers and beat an Arizona team that was riding a nine-game winless skid.

"We never thought we were out of it," Scheffler said following the loss Sunday. "We just didn't make the plays to get back in it. Our defense fought hard the whole game. We didn't give them good field position. They kept us in it."

Schwartz's assessment of the loss differed sharply. After defending his team's play in recent weeks, Schwartz said the Lions simply made too many errors Sunday to be competitive.

"We've had a lot of games this year that came down to one critical play in the fourth quarter that you look at and say, 'Hey, if we made that one we would have won the game,'" he said. "We can't be naive to think that this was one of those games."

The Cardinals intercepted quarterback Matthew Stafford three times, two of which were returned for touchdowns. Stafford told teammates Sunday that he believed he was responsible for the loss after a 24-for-50 passing performance that was easily his worst effort of the season.

"That is about as bad as I can play," he said. "For us to be successful, I have to play a whole lot better than that. I understand that."

Schwartz praised Stafford's decision to take responsibility for the loss, saying "that's what good quarterbacks do," but he also reiterated his opinion that responsibility for the team's performance ultimately rests with the coaching staff. He also said he never considered pulling Stafford.

Calvin Johnson's play was Detroit's lone bright spot Sunday. Johnson made 10 catches for 121 yards despite facing coverage that Schwartz likened to a box-and-one defense in basketball.

"(Arizona) doubled Calvin (Johnson) on just about every play," he said." They used punt coverage to try to handle him and the fact that he still had 121 yards says a lot about Calvin, says a lot about (offensive coordinator) Scott Linehan's ability to still be able to get him the ball. But we severely lacked other playmakers on the field."

Johnson's 121 receiving yards Sunday give him 1,667 yards for the season, putting him 181 yards from breaking the NFL single-season record Jerry Rice set with San Francisco in 1995.

The Lions host playoff-bound Atlanta on Saturday.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87583 ... gone-rails

December 19th, 2012, 10:47 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm not buying it as an excuse, and I also feel no sympathy. But I'm wondering if this points to a potential HR blunder. We all know Mayhew's penchant for one-year contracts, but maybe that has come back to bite him. Some examples: I know that in an interview earlier in the year Houston let it slip that we shouldn't have let E. Wright go. I'm sure Avril's payday also doesn't play well with a lot of people. Say what you want about Tulloch, but we jerked him, like Houston, around quite a bit, especially in the lockout year. That's coming back to haunt us.

When the people in your organization don't think good work is being rewarded, in this case with longer term contracts, then you have a fundamental problem.

First of all, if Chris Houston feels like we should have kept Eric Wright, he needs to look at some tape of the 2011 season to see just how bad Wright was. Secondly, I'm not defending Mayhew, but all teams give one year contracts to players who need to prove themselves, and Wright was one of those who had to prove himself. Detroit didn't fall for it, Tampa Bay did. They paid him a huge contract and now they are paying the price for their stupidity. Tulloch got paid, and he wasn't treated unfairly. That is business as usual in the NFL, all teams do it. The guy that got stiffed from Detroit is the one we didn't sign, the guy that was flying here that caused Tulloch to ink his deal. I almost wished he hadn't and we would have signed the other guy. Tulloch hasn't played up to his contract in any way shape or form.

December 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Walk On

Schwartz don't need to go, how do you fire a man who's taken us to the postseason for the first time in 10 years. He's taken a 0-16 team and made us relevant. If anyone needs to go it's Gunther Cunningham and maybe Scott Lenihan. But a man who's establish a culture in Detroit we haven't seen in forever since Barry Sanders is stupid. If we can give those idiots Millen and Marinelli more time, than Schwartz deserves a decade. Marinelli the guy who fired the O.C. when clearly his dumbass son-in-law D.C. should've taken the fall and Millen who only drafted right by force based on the other idiot team Raiders taking JaMarcus Russell (Thanks Raiders) or we'll be looking at Palmer to Megatron and our franchise in absolute shambles after JaMarcus laid waste to us. So unless Bill Belchick decides verbally he wants a new challenge and request the lions in that sentence. We have a solid coach, who makes his share of mistakes as any coach.

Last edited by Mufasa on January 1st, 2013, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2012, 1:49 am
Team MVP

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-trouble/

December 30th, 2012, 12:23 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Jim Schwartz's status under review
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87931 ... ources-say

Just to confirm, can someone explain how the money that would've been spent on Schwartz is distributed if he is fired after this season?

December 30th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: Jim Schwartz's status under review
He would continue to get his salary until he accepted another job. It doesn't effect the salary cap in any way, so it wouldn't hurt the team to dump him if they did. It would only come out of the Ford's pocket.

December 30th, 2012, 2:46 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Jim Schwartz's status under review
njroar wrote:
He would continue to get his salary until he accepted another job. It doesn't effect the salary cap in any way, so it wouldn't hurt the team to dump him if they did. It would only come out of the Ford's pocket.

The report also said that Ford is unhappy with Schwartz' style and past doings, so I don't think he'd hesitate to let him go.

I stood for Schwartz until this game, but after what I'm seeing, I don't think the Lions can have another winning season with Schwartz at HC.

December 30th, 2012, 2:47 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
Quote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20121230/SPORTS01/121230020/Media-reports-conflict-safety-Lions-coach-Jim-Schwartz-s-job-status

Quote:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported today that Detroit Lions ownership has been reviewing the job status of head coach Jim Schwartz, according to league sources.

However, NBCSports.com's Mike Florio reported later today that, according to a source, Schwartz is safe for next season, mostly because he's signed through 2015.

And then there's CBSSports.com's Jason LaCanfora, who reports that Schwartz's seat isn't the one that's hot, but that there's a chance that general manager Martin Mayhew may not be back.

A few days ago, Sports Illustrated's Don Banks reported that there's a rift between Schwartz and Mayhew.

According to Mortensen, the Fords are troubled by the Lions' team image, which is one of an undisciplined bunch, not to mention the 4-11 record going into today's season finale against the Bears.

Mortensen's sources say that even with last season's 10-6 record and playoff berth, the Fords were unhappy with a number of things that have happened under Schwartz.

Several Lions, including superstar Ndamukong Suh, have had run-ins with the law and problems with keeping their collective cools. Even Schwartz has been under fire after his "handshake" with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and his overzealous challenge flag in the Thanksgiving Day game which cost Detroit a touchdown against the Texans.

December 30th, 2012, 7:19 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
See, this is something I can actually believe in.

Lions ownership does value a "family image" -- hence the no cheerleader policy.

If that really is the case, I could see many heads rolling.

December 31st, 2012, 12:39 am
Player of the Year - Offense

After an 8-week losing streak, someone's head has to roll. Schwartz, Mayhew, Coordinators... someone or someones.

December 31st, 2012, 12:46 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Well, usually the **** rolls down hill as they say. Coach fires coordinators to cover himself. GM fires the coach to cover himself.

If they fired the GM but kept Schwartz it would be pretty strange. Any new GM would want "his guy."

The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Mangini getting an extra year in Cleveland when Holmgren was brought in.

December 31st, 2012, 12:50 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Blueskies wrote:
Well, usually the **** rolls down hill as they say. Coach fires coordinators to cover himself. GM fires the coach to cover himself.

If they fired the GM but kept Schwartz it would be pretty strange. Any new GM would want "his guy."

The only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Mangini getting an extra year in Cleveland when Holmgren was brought in.

Bears with Lovie/Emery too.

December 31st, 2012, 11:00 am
Heisman Winner

I'm all for keeping Schwartz if changes are made to the staff.

If not then they need to go. We need a change, even if it's just Linehan or just Gunther, we need to shake things up and get someone new in there. It's easy to look at the stats and say Linehan doesn't deserve to get fired, but anyone that watches games and not stats can see the flow of the games were so mixed up, bad execution and bad play calling in general on offense led to alot of our losses.

At the end of the year the defense started to really get bad, but the first 8 games of the year I thought they played really really good and outplayed my expectations.

December 31st, 2012, 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next