View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Big 10 Expansion. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Big 10 Expansion.
Quote:
AP Source: Big Ten talking to Maryland, Rutgers
By RALPH D. RUSSO | Associated Press – 9 hrs ago

Maryland and Rutgers are in discussions with the Big Ten to possibly join the conference in 2014, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

The person spoke Saturday night on condition of anonymity because neither the conference nor the schools want to publicly discuss their plans.

ESPN.com first reported that the Big Ten was looking into expanding to 14 teams by adding Maryland and Rutgers.

The person says Maryland would have to be "the first domino to fall," but added that an agreement could be reached as soon as this week for both schools.

Text messages and phone calls to Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson and Rutgers Athletic Director Tim Pernetti were not immediately returned.

Several officials with Big Ten schools, reached at football and basketball games on Saturday, declined to talk about the report.

"If there was any news to come out of expansion, it would come out of the conference office," Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta said

The Big Ten has 12 members after adding Nebraska last season.

Maryland is in the Atlantic Coast Conference, which recently added Notre Dame as a member in all sports except football and hockey. The ACC is scheduled to become a 14-team football conference next season with the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

When the ACC added Notre Dame in September, its members also voted to raise the exit fee of the league to $50 million.

Rutgers is a member of the Big East, which is on target to become a 12-team football conference next season when Boise State and five others join. The Big East has been hammered in realignment over the past year with the losses of Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia and Notre Dame.

In rebuilding the league into a coast-to-coast conference, the Big East also raised its exit fee to $10 million. The conference also has a 27-month notification period, but West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse have all negotiated early exit deals.

If Maryland were to leave the ACC for the Big Ten, Connecticut of the Big East would seem to be the most logical replacement with the ACC having already built a northern base in the conference.

Adding Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten schools in two more huge television markets — Washington D.C. and the New York/New Jersey area — while expanding the conference's footprint east and south.

Penn State is currently the easternmost school in the Big Ten.

November 18th, 2012, 10:28 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Big 10 Expansion.
I don't know how I feel about Maryland being added. I graduated from Maryland and I still live in there area so it'd be nice to get to see Michigan come down to College Park every few years, but why do we need the Big 10 to be a super conference with 14 teams?

Also, Maryland can't compete right now with the terrible ACC teams, they'd get destroyed in the Big 10.

November 19th, 2012, 12:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I heard Maryland accepted.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 19th, 2012, 12:51 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Maryland accepted.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 19th, 2012, 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Honestly, it's getting confusing......

Why don't they just divide the country up in hypothetical quarters.

East of the Mississippi to the point of Main, from the top of Minnesota to the southern tip of Indiana or Ohio would constitute the Northeast Conference, From the Mississippi heading West to Washington Coast, from the top of Montana down to roughly the same geographical line as the North East conference would constitute the North West Conference.

Southeast would be East of the Mississippi from the afore mentioned border of the Northeast, down to the tip of Florida.

Southwest would be everything left over.

Then everyone participates in the league, with smaller schools having a "sub-league" if necessary, but ONLY if they wanted.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 21st, 2012, 9:02 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I agree, W4C, college needs to go to a super conference system, and maybe they will one day. It will probably take many more years though.

November 25th, 2012, 12:57 am
League MVP

I dont understand why Big Ten would take Maryland and Rutgers but pass on Missouris. Makes little sense to me. Maybe something to do with getting eastcoast market but inferior athletics in my opinion

November 26th, 2012, 4:31 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
I dont understand why Big Ten would take Maryland and Rutgers but pass on Missouris. Makes little sense to me. Maybe something to do with getting eastcoast market but inferior athletics in my opinion

East coast fan base is much larger, the answer is always $.

November 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

They should have went after OK and TX, that would have rushed the B12 conference

December 5th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

conversion02 wrote:
They should have went after OK and TX, that would have rushed the B12 conference

I think we are eventually going to have 20 school super conferences.

With that in mind, I wanted the Big 10 to go after OK, TX, Kansas, and Kansas State. I also would not have minded seeing Ole Miss in the Big 10.

December 5th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

THey had discussion with Texas at the same time we brought in Neb... so we tried to kill the b12, but Texas wanted their independant network and B10 of course said No.

I get Rutgers and MD even if Rut will be at best an 8-4 team year to year and MD will be a B10 Whipping boy. Expand the Fanbase and the $, we dont "NEED" more top end teams, although when they go for #15 and #16 (and they will in the next 2 yrs) they go after bigger names.

December 31st, 2012, 1:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran General Manager

DJ-B wrote:
THey had discussion with Texas at the same time we brought in Neb... so we tried to kill the b12, but Texas wanted their independant network and B10 of course said No.

I get Rutgers and MD even if Rut will be at best an 8-4 team year to year and MD will be a B10 Whipping boy. Expand the Fanbase and the $, we dont "NEED" more top end teams, although when they go for #15 and #16 (and they will in the next 2 yrs) they go after bigger names.

I see your reply indicates that you forget it's not just about football. Basketball brings in a lot of revenue also. Maybe even more than football. And Maryland has a traditionally good Basketball program. And I think Rutgers Football will get better being associated with the Big 10.

February 6th, 2013, 2:34 pm
Veteran General Manager

I don't know how I missed this until now.

Quote:
Big Ten eyes further expansion
Updated: December 5, 2012, 8:21 PM ET
By Brett McMurphy | ESPN

NEW YORK -- The Big Ten recently announced it would increase to 14 members, so can a 16-team Big Ten be far behind?

"There are some advantages to 16 (teams) compared to 14," Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis told ESPN on Wednesday. "Fourteen is clumsy. We're not out looking for two teams, but basically we will continue to survey the landscape."

Hollis, attending the IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum at the Marriott Marquis, said whether the Big Ten expands is dependent to "what happens in other areas" in the country.

"We don't want to get outflanked," Hollis said.

Last month, Maryland and Rutgers announced they were leaving the ACC and Big East, respectively, for the Big Ten. They are expected to join the Big Ten in 2014.

North Carolina State athletic director Debbie Yow said she wasn't happy that the Terps, a charter member of the ACC, left the league.

"Maryland will be on a plane to play Wisconsin in the middle of the winter," Yow said. "Hope that money is really, really good."

It will be.

The Big Ten, already the richest conference in the nation, will be negotiating a new media rights deal in 2017, and it is expected to pay each school more than $40 million annually.

With 16 teams instead of 14, the Big Ten also would be able to provide more "inventory," or games for the Big Ten Network, increasing its value "as long as it wasn't in the league's current footprint," sources said.

As far as future Big Ten members, speculation has swirled around the league pursuing ACC programs such as Georgia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina.

Hollis would not name candidates, but said if the league expands "what we'll look for is does it fit? What impact does it have on the current membership? If after (an) evaluation, you see any upside, then there is a reason to grow."

"It won't be tomorrow," Hollis added jokingly.

One factor that could impact whether the Big Ten expands in the future, specifically if it targets ACC teams, is whether Maryland will be required to pay the ACC's $52 million exit fee.

The ACC has filed a lawsuit to guarantee the Terps pay the entire amount. Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said Wednesday he doesn't think the exit fee is enforceable.

While Hollis said a 14-team league is "clumsy" as far as football and basketball scheduling, a 16-team league is easier to schedule with two, eight-team divisions.

If the Big Ten did expand, it could set off a domino effect in other leagues. Would the SEC also want to get to 16 teams? Would the Big 12 expand beyond 10? How would the Pac-12 and ACC react? What would all those moves do to the future of the Big East, Mountain West, Conference USA and others?

The possibilities are endless.

"I don't think (conference realignment) is over," Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said. "There's more coming."

College football fans: You've been warned.

February 6th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Modmin Dude

Its time for the 'Super Conferences' to start forming. If / when it does happen, we'll finally have a decent landscape for a post-season playoff system. 1st round starts at the Conferences, then Conference champs face in the 'BCS' portion. headbang.gif

February 6th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]