View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:32 pm



Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Schwartz 
Author Message
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
Linehan is a lot like Norv. Can be genius play-callers at times, but get conservative too often and at the wrong times.


December 31st, 2012, 4:51 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
hamma77 wrote:
I'm all for keeping Schwartz if changes are made to the staff.

If not then they need to go. We need a change, even if it's just Linehan or just Gunther, we need to shake things up and get someone new in there. It's easy to look at the stats and say Linehan doesn't deserve to get fired, but anyone that watches games and not stats can see the flow of the games were so mixed up, bad execution and bad play calling in general on offense led to alot of our losses.

At the end of the year the defense started to really get bad, but the first 8 games of the year I thought they played really really good and outplayed my expectations.


1st 8 games of the year... we didn't have a decimated secondary.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 31st, 2012, 5:08 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7122
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
LionsFan4Life wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
I'm all for keeping Schwartz if changes are made to the staff.

If not then they need to go. We need a change, even if it's just Linehan or just Gunther, we need to shake things up and get someone new in there. It's easy to look at the stats and say Linehan doesn't deserve to get fired, but anyone that watches games and not stats can see the flow of the games were so mixed up, bad execution and bad play calling in general on offense led to alot of our losses.

At the end of the year the defense started to really get bad, but the first 8 games of the year I thought they played really really good and outplayed my expectations.


1st 8 games of the year... we didn't have a decimated secondary.


No. We just had a secondary that would only be back ups on any other team.


December 31st, 2012, 5:39 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Fairfax, VA
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
Doesn't seem to matter...it appears after this horrible season the thought is it must have been the receivers coach that caused it. Linehan keeps his job while Shawn Jefferson, running backs coach Sam Gash and tight ends coach Tim Lappano all get shown the door. I'm sure that will improve our defense and spark our offense. WTF?


December 31st, 2012, 6:35 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
is it confirmed that the big 4 (GM + 3 coaches) are back. Really its just the OC and DC im asking about?

Also... Shawn Jefferson at the least should be kept. I think he did a great job. And if you havent read that article about him and cj in re: the reciord you should read it. We need to clone that guy.


December 31st, 2012, 6:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
So far it's only been Jefferson, Gash and Yarno (OL) assistants that they aren't renewing their contracts. Their contracts are up and are all leftover from the Millen Era. I know Jefferson is looked at as responsible for CJ, but he's also responsible for Titus. If you ever watch the game films and him on the sideline, he ran it like a circus. He needed to be more serious and he contributed to the culture problems.

As to the Big 4... it's only the first day. They could all be vulnerable. This was just allowing contracts that expired today to expire. None were "fired."


December 31st, 2012, 6:53 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
njroar wrote:
Linehan is a lot like Norv. Can be genius play-callers at times, but get conservative too often and at the wrong times.


its been suggested if not clearly stated by both stafford and schwartz in key situations that the decision to get conservative but not the specific playcall came from the head coach and not the coordinator. offense and defense. ie on offense, when they decide to run out clock and not risk incompletions thats schwartz not linehan. when they go prevent defense and heavy zones with 3 man rushes - thats schwartz not blitz happy cunningham.


December 31st, 2012, 8:30 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
njroar wrote:
So far it's only been Jefferson, Gash and Yarno (OL) assistants that they aren't renewing their contracts. Their contracts are up and are all leftover from the Millen Era. I know Jefferson is looked at as responsible for CJ, but he's also responsible for Titus. If you ever watch the game films and him on the sideline, he ran it like a circus. He needed to be more serious and he contributed to the culture problems.

As to the Big 4... it's only the first day. They could all be vulnerable. This was just allowing contracts that expired today to expire. None were "fired."


TE coach Lappano also gone

Yarno spent the 2008 season with Tampa Bay. He was hired by Schwartz and his first season with the Lions was 2009. Lappano was also brought on by Schwartz in 2009. Gash and Jefferson were with the Lions prior to Schwartz.


December 31st, 2012, 8:40 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
I think if there was a position coach to fire it would be QB coach Todd Downing whose biography doesnt seem quite up to par. Stafford definitely could use some work. Im sure there is a former career backup QB somewhere who would have a lot more to offer Stafford than Downing, who apparently QBd some bush league semi pro team. Seems like an easy upgrade.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coache ... d90c755694


December 31st, 2012, 8:45 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
So far it's only been Jefferson, Gash and Yarno (OL) assistants that they aren't renewing their contracts. Their contracts are up and are all leftover from the Millen Era. I know Jefferson is looked at as responsible for CJ, but he's also responsible for Titus. If you ever watch the game films and him on the sideline, he ran it like a circus. He needed to be more serious and he contributed to the culture problems.

As to the Big 4... it's only the first day. They could all be vulnerable. This was just allowing contracts that expired today to expire. None were "fired."


TE coach Lappano also gone

Yarno spent the 2008 season with Tampa Bay. He was hired by Schwartz and his first season with the Lions was 2009. Lappano was also brought on by Schwartz in 2009. Gash and Jefferson were with the Lions prior to Schwartz.


Yes, Yarno was a Schwartz hire. Lappano wasn't let go. He's still the TE Coach.


December 31st, 2012, 8:46 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
The Legend wrote:
I think if there was a position coach to fire it would be QB coach Todd Downing whose biography doesnt seem quite up to par. Stafford definitely could use some work. Im sure there is a former career backup QB somewhere who would have a lot more to offer Stafford than Downing, who apparently QBd some bush league semi pro team. Seems like an easy upgrade.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coache ... d90c755694



maybe if they are keeping linehan as coordinator they could bring one of his former QBs to be the QB coach instead of Downing. Maybe someone like Chris Redman who Linehan had at Louisville.


December 31st, 2012, 8:53 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
njroar wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
So far it's only been Jefferson, Gash and Yarno (OL) assistants that they aren't renewing their contracts. Their contracts are up and are all leftover from the Millen Era. I know Jefferson is looked at as responsible for CJ, but he's also responsible for Titus. If you ever watch the game films and him on the sideline, he ran it like a circus. He needed to be more serious and he contributed to the culture problems.

As to the Big 4... it's only the first day. They could all be vulnerable. This was just allowing contracts that expired today to expire. None were "fired."


TE coach Lappano also gone

Yarno spent the 2008 season with Tampa Bay. He was hired by Schwartz and his first season with the Lions was 2009. Lappano was also brought on by Schwartz in 2009. Gash and Jefferson were with the Lions prior to Schwartz.


Yes, Yarno was a Schwartz hire. Lappano wasn't let go. He's still the TE Coach.


time to fire anwar richardson from mlive then


December 31st, 2012, 8:55 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2713
Post Re: Coach Schwartz on the hot seat?
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
So far it's only been Jefferson, Gash and Yarno (OL) assistants that they aren't renewing their contracts. Their contracts are up and are all leftover from the Millen Era. I know Jefferson is looked at as responsible for CJ, but he's also responsible for Titus. If you ever watch the game films and him on the sideline, he ran it like a circus. He needed to be more serious and he contributed to the culture problems.

As to the Big 4... it's only the first day. They could all be vulnerable. This was just allowing contracts that expired today to expire. None were "fired."


TE coach Lappano also gone

Yarno spent the 2008 season with Tampa Bay. He was hired by Schwartz and his first season with the Lions was 2009. Lappano was also brought on by Schwartz in 2009. Gash and Jefferson were with the Lions prior to Schwartz.


Yes, Yarno was a Schwartz hire. Lappano wasn't let go. He's still the TE Coach.


time to fire anwar richardson from mlive then


It was a mistake. Should have been fixed by now. Follow more than one. Birkett seems to be the one on the ball the quickest.


December 31st, 2012, 8:57 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 423
Post Re: Jim Schwartz's status under review
I think we would be in a bad place with the firing of all these coaches and GM's by letting Schwartz go. It's not enough good coaches to go around. An we're subject to start all over with Personal and everything by replacing him. I would give him another year to turn things around and take advantage of all these other teams who will probably be batting below .500 starting over with they're new personnel. Keep our system in place with a zero tolerance policy, go get some key defensive players and offensive pieces. We can win with Schwartz and if not we'll no next year and have the pick of the crop of new hot coaches because teams won't be on a firing frenzy next year like this year. Because we'll be fighting for scraps this year and settling for someone who'll be fired two years from now.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba
Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6


January 1st, 2013, 4:41 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: December 12th, 2008, 1:33 pm
Posts: 164
Location: NY/NJ
Post Re: Jim Schwartz's status under review
I like Schwartz, but I'm beginning to wonder if he is the right guy. Some of our draft picks have been questionable in term of both need and character -Taking Pettigrew rather than an OT to protect your franchise QB, gambling on a fragile Jahvid Best, taking Fairly despite his reported poor work ethic, LeShoure, and we still don't have a secondary. This, combined with all the off-field issues and a ton of stupid penalties make me wonder if a change isn't needed.

BTW, Happy New Year!

_________________
If you are going through Hell, keep going. Winston Churchill


January 1st, 2013, 6:36 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.