View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Offseason Coaching Change Thread 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Offseason Coaching Change Thread
Of course, we might not see any changes, but there are some rumblings out there:

Quote:
'Tension has developed' between Jim Schwartz and Martin Mayhew, according to report
By Sean Yuille on Dec 27, 9:53p
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/12/2 ... m-schwartz

"Black Monday" is almost here for the NFL. The first day after the end of the season will kick off the coaching carousel around the league, and although the Detroit Lions aren't expected to be major participants in it, you never know. That was the gist of what Sports Illustrated's Don Banks had to say (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... d=sbnation) about the Lions in his "Black Monday" primer. He noted that the Lions "will probably remain status quo with both head coach Jim Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew," but he indicated that multiple sources told him to "keep a wary eye" on the situation in Detroit.

That actually wasn't the most interesting tidbit in his section on the Lions. The much more interesting thing he mentioned revolved around the relationship between Schwartz and Mayhew and how "tension" may be building between the two.

Sources say tension has developed between Schwartz and Mayhew this season, with the Lions' penchant for taking chances on character-issue type players, and the effect on the locker room, at the root of the problem. In other words, which Lions decision-maker will get the blame for the Titus Young problem, and other similar rolls of the dice on the personnel front? Detroit has collected a few too many bad-boy types, and there might be a price to pay for the moves that have back-fired.

While Banks indicated that the issues between Schwartz and Mayhew "might still be smoothed over and dealt with," he is right in saying that this is a situation worth keeping an eye on, especially when it comes to if the Lions will make any changes with their coaching staff. For example, Schwartz has made it seem like he would prefer for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan to return, but there were rumblings earlier in the week that Linehan may be on his way out. Could this be a sign of the so-called tension between Schwartz and Mayhew? It remains to be seen, but the next week or so should be pretty interesting when it comes to the future of the Lions.

And not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I called Shurmur taking over as OC in a post a while back:

Quote:
Lions rumors: Scott Linehan to be let go; Pat Shurmur a possible replacement?
By Sean Yuille on Dec 24, 3:27p
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/12/2 ... at-shurmur

Given Jim Schwartz's current contract, it's not expected that the Detroit Lions will make a head coaching change after this dismal season comes to a close. That doesn't mean other changes won't be made, though. If Schwartz does in fact return, there will be even more pressure for some coordinators and assistants to be replaced, and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan is probably the headliner of that group.

Although the Lions offense has produced a record year for Calvin Johnson, overall it has been pretty ineffective. Matthew Stafford has seemingly taken a step back in his development, and the Lions have failed to produce touchdowns on a consistent basis. Having to settle for field goals on a regular basis has cost the Lions at least a few games this season, and fair or not, the blame has been placed on Linehan for that.

There hadn't really been any rumblings of impending changes by the Lions, but CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora wrote on Monday that Linehan is on the list of coordinators who are "likely to get pink slips." What's more, La Canfora already has a possible replacement in mind: Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, who is expected to be fired at the conclusion of the season.

Stafford's ability alone is enough to attract top candidates and when Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is let go by the Browns, league sources would not be surprised to see him get consideration in Detroit (Shurmur is a Detroit native and worked well with another former No. 1 draft pick, Sam Bradford, in St. Louis).

Shurmur, who attended Michigan State, would almost certainly get consideration by the Lions if the Browns fire him and Linehan is let go. To me, the bigger question revolves around whether the Lions will actually make a change. I'm of the opinion that it's time for some new voices on the coaching staff if Schwartz is retained, and Linehan does seem to be the top candidate to be let go. It's not fair to put all of the blame for the offense's struggles on him by any means, but ultimately it goes back to him.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the Lions will make a change. If it's up to Schwartz, I'd bet on the coaching staff remaining unchanged for the most part. Continuity has been talked about as a big plus in the past, but after going 4-12 or 5-11, perhaps the front office will step in and decide something needs to change going into 2013.

December 28th, 2012, 9:55 am
League MVP

Post Re: Offseason Coaching Change Thread
There better be some tension bw Mayhew and Schwartz. What did we expect at this point? All smiles? I think not...

I personally blame the character issues more on Schwartz than Mayhew. Mayhew has brought in high character veterans in leadership roles like KVB, Burleson, Tulloch, Corey Williams but the environment created by Schwartz and staff hasnt reinforced that. You have Gunther talking smack to opposing players and franchises; Schwartz yelling and screaming at refs, opposing coaches and players. Rather than disciplining, reprimanding and learning from personal fouls Schwartz sometimes defends those players' actions. Then you have the seemiingly continuous off field problems - well guess what guys cutting Aaron Berry after 7-8 total arrests by Lions players this offseason wasnt enough. Maybe they could have prevented some of those arrests by beginning the disciplinary action when the arrests started instead of trying to contain when it had already spiralled out of control.

It would be nice to have a coaching staff that could keep these so called "problem child" players in line. It would make the GMs job that much easier knowing his coach could mold some positive influence onto draftees and the GM could then probably draft talent without worrying about these other issues. In the end, shame on both of them bc Mayhew knew what kind of attitude and culture the coaching staff was about and Im sure Schwartz had some idea of what kind of players Mayhew was drafting and could ve adapted accordingly. Instead we have a big fail.

Moving on -- PAT SHURMUR? Are we serious? How is that an upgrade over Linehan? What am I missing that was so impressive about Sam Bradford's rookie year (< 6 yards/attempt, 18 td, 21 turnovers) and do we really want the wet toast offense coming back?

December 28th, 2012, 10:19 am
Team MVP

La Confora is an idiot. I dont believe a word he says.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 28th, 2012, 3:14 pm
Varsity Captain

IF...and that's a huge IF...we let Linehan go they need a proven OC. I could see them going for Norv Turner or someone like that. We need talent more than anything.

December 30th, 2012, 4:27 pm

With Gailey canned, I'd jump all over Modkins from the Bills as the next OC. He had a pretty productive offense in Buffalo with average to slightly above average talent. I like Gunther but I think the league has passed him by, I'd go after Pagano from the Chargers as the DC. If they let Schwartz walk I'd look at Arians as the HC. He was the guy that developed Big Ben and now Luck. If they were to get Arians they'd probably get Pagano with his ties to Chuck Pagano.

December 31st, 2012, 6:50 pm

Dave Toub for special teams, please.

December 31st, 2012, 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]