View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Lions Pick Fifth 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Lions Pick Fifth
So it's finalized. The Lions will have the fifth pick.

Behind:
Chiefs (side note: Seems like Pioli wasn't the savior everyone thought)
Jags
Eagles
Raiders

Assuming the Lions don't trade the pick, I would figure they would take Moore (DE), Joeckel (OT), or Jarvis Jones (DE). Maybe Manti Teo.

Fifth is just too high for a CB unless he's a Patrick Peterson. Same with safety.

I'd prefer the Lions try to trade into the middle of the round for maybe an extra 2nd and 3rd -- their biggest needs are interior Oline, CB and safety and the great value there is usually mid-late 1rst / 2nd round.

But if they really like a DE or an OT, they should probably pounce.

December 31st, 2012, 12:46 am

Post Re: Lions Pick Fifth
Theoretically, all of the teams before us could be shooting for QB's or potentially. If any of those teams shoot for other positions, it could make trading down easier.

December 31st, 2012, 12:48 am

This isn't a QB heavy draft, though.

Sure, the recent trend has been to reach, but how well has that worked out? Hasn't worked out for the Jags, are they going to try that again? I doubt it.

December 31st, 2012, 12:52 am
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
So it's finalized. The Lions will have the fifth pick.

Behind:
Chiefs (side note: Seems like Pioli wasn't the savior everyone thought)
Jags
Eagles
Raiders

Assuming the Lions don't trade the pick, I would figure they would take Moore (DE), Joeckel (OT), or Jarvis Jones (DE). Maybe Manti Teo.

Fifth is just too high for a CB unless he's a Patrick Peterson. Same with safety.

I'd prefer the Lions try to trade into the middle of the round for maybe an extra 2nd and 3rd -- their biggest needs are interior Oline, CB and safety and the great value there is usually mid-late 1rst / 2nd round.

But if they really like a DE or an OT, they should probably pounce.

If they pick defensive end and they select Moore over Werner ill be pissed.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 31st, 2012, 1:54 am
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
Theoretically, all of the teams before us could be shooting for QB's or potentially. If any of those teams shoot for other positions, it could make trading down easier.

I think that of the 4 teams in front of us, only the Raiders and Chiefs will be looking at QB. Hopefully one of them go in a different direction.

With Arizona sitting at #7, ( they are desperately in need of a QB. So much so, that they might sell the farm to get one.), and Buffalo has stated that they want a franchise QB. We can play Buffalo and Arizona against each other for our pick and walk away with the ammo to get an OT, CB, and Safety in the 1st two rounds.

December 31st, 2012, 1:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

I think that of the 4 teams in front of us, only the Raiders and Chiefs will be looking at QB. Hopefully one of them go in a different direction.

With Arizona sitting at #7, ( they are desperately in need of a QB. So much so, that they might sell the farm to get one.), and Buffalo has stated that they want a franchise QB. We can play Buffalo and Arizona against each other for our pick and walk away with the ammo to get an OT, CB, and Safety in the 1st two rounds.

That would be awesome if it were to work out for the Lions.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 31st, 2012, 1:49 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

1. Chiefs - Geno Smith or a defensive lineman
2. Jags - Defensive lineman or Jarvis Jones
3. Raiders - Geno Smith or a defensive lineman, maybe Dee Milliner (Raiders are one of the worst franchises at drafting talent as of late)
4. Eagles - Manti T'eo or a trade down. I just don't see why they'd take Joeckel when they have Jason Peters returning from injury and their RT isn't bad at all.

I honestly say Joeckel or trade down unless we a 3-4 OLB, Jarvis Jones or Damontre Moore and do something very innovative, maybe put them at 4-3 OLB or transform the defense. I'm sure there are some teams drooling at Jarvis/Joeckel.

December 31st, 2012, 2:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Using Walter football's top 60 prospects list, if we are able to trade down to # 7 or 8 overall, we could walk away with:

@ #7 or 8 : DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama He is currently Walter's #7 ranked prospect.

We then use our 2nd round pick - # 36 overall and our 5th this year and a 4th next year to trade up to #22 overall.

@ # 22: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan He is currently Walter's #20 prospect.

We then stand pat with the 2nd round pick we got in the 1st round trade down. Either #38 or 42 overall.

@ #38 : Matt Elam, S, Florida He is currently Walter's #35 prospect.
OR
@ # 42 : Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma He is currently Walter's # 39 prospect.

Other possibilities with the 2nd round pick, whichever spot we pick in.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State Walter's # 37
David Amerson, CB, N.C. State Walter's # 38
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas Walter's # 33
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU Walter's #34

Then we still would have our 3rd round pick, #67 Overall

@# 67 : John Simon, DE, Ohio State Walter's #62
Or
Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford Walter's #63
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State Walter's # 64
Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin Walter's #65
Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M Walter's #66
Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas Walter's #67
Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State Walter's # 68
Khaled Holmes, C, USC Walter's #70 Might be a slight reach. But, might be worth it.
Michael Dyer, RB, Arkansas State Walter's # 71

December 31st, 2012, 3:05 pm
Pop Warner Vet

BillySims wrote:
Using Walter football's top 60 prospects list, if we are able to trade down to # 7 or 8 overall, we could walk away with:

@ #7 or 8 : DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama He is currently Walter's #7 ranked prospect.

We then use our 2nd round pick - # 36 overall and our 5th this year and a 4th next year to trade up to #22 overall.

@ # 22: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan He is currently Walter's #20 prospect.

We then stand pat with the 2nd round pick we got in the 1st round trade down. Either #38 or 42 overall.

@ #38 : Matt Elam, S, Florida He is currently Walter's #35 prospect.
OR
@ # 42 : Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma He is currently Walter's # 39 prospect.

Other possibilities with the 2nd round pick, whichever spot we pick in.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State Walter's # 37
David Amerson, CB, N.C. State Walter's # 38
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas Walter's # 33
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU Walter's #34

Then we still would have our 3rd round pick, #67 Overall

@# 67 : John Simon, DE, Ohio State Walter's #62
Or
Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford Walter's #63
Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State Walter's # 64
Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin Walter's #65
Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M Walter's #66
Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas Walter's #67
Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State Walter's # 68
Khaled Holmes, C, USC Walter's #70 Might be a slight reach. But, might be worth it.
Michael Dyer, RB, Arkansas State Walter's # 71

I like this idea alot, CB is by far our most glaring need and I do not think Te'o is the answer dispite popular opinion. Getting Milliner and Elam would vastly improve this severly underachieving defense. I am also high on Arthur Brown LB out of Kansas State, who is smaller than Te'o but much faster and a more sideline to sideline type of LB. Due to his 220 lb frame he may fall farther than his talent level should allow him too. I too think Levy is trash however, LB is a position that can be found in free agency. I am always for improving the OL at anytime possible and another receiver with Young gone, and Burleson coming off broken leg and age creeping on him. Either receiver out of West Virgina, Austin or Bailey. Also Patterson from Tennessee, the JUCO transfer that came in and immediately dominated.

December 31st, 2012, 3:42 pm
Varsity Captain

Avril has said he want's to resign, so unless they make that happen, our 1st pick must be a starting quality DE with a high ceiling. KVB is done. Maybe an assistant coach? Willie and LoJac still have not proven to even be consistant.

I still like your idea for trading but we need to go a couple of more spots and should still get more than a 2nd.
Take our 2nd and next year's 4th and 5th to move back into the first. If need be we can throw in this years 6 or 7. Get back in the 1st and take one of the stud safeties. Preferably Elam or Vaccaro. Reid if still around
With the 2nd we get in the trade take an interior OLineman. Preferably a Center.
With our 3rd look at CB or OLB maybe even Denard if he's still there. Would be the best return man in the league and we won't need a 3rd QB.

All of this would depend on FA. Sign OG Andy Levitre from Buffalo. Why not go after WR Greg Jennings? A Western Mich guy that might want to come home.
If we really want to take a leap let's go after OT Jake Long. He 's going to cost alot but if we can afford it, he's well worth it. Levitre will be looking for a nice contract. I say we get him signed first. Our OLine is already better by leaps and bounds. If by some miracle we can afford Long we will be super solid.

There are quite a few players making real good money that haven't done crap for at least this year and more for most of them. Cut them and use their money to make these 3 FA deals happen.
After that we are talking backups and special teamers. All I ask is to resign Osgood and bury Logan in a landfill. I would rather pay UDFA's a minimum that pay some of the Vets that we have that don't rate a job selling drugs in the men's room.

2014 Draft will be the bonus round, take the best player of need.

I know this all seems like a pipe dream but......gotta go to the store to get supplies for tonight. Staying home as usual on this night, safest place in town. When I get back I'll hit the pipe again and see if I can come up with anything else.

Please be safe tonight.......Happy New Year!!!!

December 31st, 2012, 4:32 pm
Varsity Captain

And Billy, quit smoking that AstroTurf. j/k!

December 31st, 2012, 4:34 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Boz wrote:
And Billy, quit smoking that AstroTurf. j/k!

My thoughts are all a real possibility without spending a bunch on FA's. But, I'm the one smoking Astro Turf? OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 31st, 2012, 5:36 pm
RIP Killer

Except levitre who resigned like a week ago and jake long wants way too much after trying to resemble backus all year

December 31st, 2012, 5:46 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Ahh thats right I forgot about the ol' Kalamazoo native. Jennings would flourish opposite CJ. Not to mention its unlikely Welker will resign with the Pats and even for his age still is their most productive receiver. I also hadn't taken a look at all the free agents this offseason there are a ton of talented OT's and CB/S's. The only problem is many are on very good teams and will likely resign with (Clady, Byrd, Albert, Phillips, Talib, Moore). Seems there are alot of proven players in the free agent market, guys like Bushrod from the Saints and Beatty from the Giants. If I were the Lions GM I would bring winners into the locker room. Guys that know what it takes to win a Superbowl and maybe instill some one that into our young team.

December 31st, 2012, 7:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

conversion02 wrote:
Except levitre who resigned like a week ago and jake long wants way too much after trying to resemble backus all year

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Through rain, snow, heat and losing seasons, whether it's playing guard, center or tackle, Andy Levitre has never missed a game — let alone a start — during his four years with the Buffalo Bills

He will make it 64 straight on Sunday, when the Bills close their season against the New York Jets.

What Levitre isn't sure of is whether it will be his final one with Buffalo now that his contract is set to expire.

"Yeah, I don't know," Levitre said Wednesday. "I don't know if it's going to be here. I don't know if it's going to be somewhere else. But right now, I'm focused on trying to beat the Jets and we'll kind of see where it goes from there."

The contest is one between a pair of teams out of playoff contention, as the Bills (5-10) and Jets (6-9) square off from Orchard Park.

Just don't downplay its importance to Levitre, who's trying to avoid thinking about what it will be like leaving the field once time runs out.

"Every time that gets brought up, I kind of just try to push it away," Levitre said. "Maybe that's something I'll think about on Monday, like, 'Wow, maybe that was my last time.'"

Levitre would prefer to continue playing in Buffalo, and the team has expressed an interest in re-signing him.

December 31st, 2012, 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next