View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Jarvis Jones 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Jarvis Jones
I've been watching this guy lately, and though I never thought too much of him I now see a lot of a Von Miller type player in him. They have just about identical body frames, Jarvis is a really good cover LB, very good at using finesse to get around blockers, and has a nose for the ball at all times. Maybe put him where Levy plays and have him be a situational pass-rusher? He's also more athletic than Manti T'eo, hits hard, and seems to be a devoted football player with no apparent character issues.

What do you guys think of him?

December 31st, 2012, 6:13 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Jarvis Jones
Shotty wrote:
I've been watching this guy lately, and though I never thought too much of him I now see a lot of a Von Miller type player in him. They have just about identical body frames, Jarvis is a really good cover LB, very good at using finesse to get around blockers, and has a nose for the ball at all times. Maybe put him where Levy plays and have him be a situational pass-rusher? He's also more athletic than Manti T'eo, hits hard, and seems to be a devoted football player with no apparent character issues.

Love Jarvis Jones, he s a bad rectum player. More skilled overall than Von Miller was in that he can do different things but passrushing is a premium asset and Miller has a significant edge on Jones there. Still when the Lions first hired Schwartz they got that jack of all trades linebacker via trade as one of there first moves. Granted it was Julian Peterson at the end of his career and he faded hard early into his 2nd year with the team but they used him a lot different than they now use Durant and Levy. Peterson blitzed, he lined up as a DE, he covered TEs one on one with the safeties shaded more over to the WRs than the TE. It would be a great thing to land a player like Jones, especially if they use him the way they tried to use Peterson.

December 31st, 2012, 9:46 pm
Butkus Award Winner

The Legend wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Love Jarvis Jones, he s a bad rectum player. More skilled overall than Von Miller was in that he can do different things but passrushing is a premium asset and Miller has a significant edge on Jones there. Still when the Lions first hired Schwartz they got that jack of all trades linebacker via trade as one of there first moves. Granted it was Julian Peterson at the end of his career and he faded hard early into his 2nd year with the team but they used him a lot different than they now use Durant and Levy. Peterson blitzed, he lined up as a DE, he covered TEs one on one with the safeties shaded more over to the WRs than the TE. It would be a great thing to land a player like Jones, especially if they use him the way they tried to use Peterson.

Great points, and yes, Von does seem to have an edge at pass-rushing; he's phenomenal at it, but who says Jarvis can't become just as good? He really has immense potential.

December 31st, 2012, 10:58 pm
Walk On

Don't he have a serious injury history?

injury history: He started his college career at USC and transferred after the school’s doctors recommended that he quit football because of
spinal stenosis. Can we afford another college injury history prone guy. Best and Broyles is enough, especially #1 overall.

January 5th, 2013, 2:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

ESPN.com wrote:
Feb 24 / 9:15AM ET / By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Jarvis Jones: Too risky for Lions at No. 5?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Arguably the top pass rusher in the 2013 draft spent more than eight hours Saturday getting poked, prodded, tugged, pulled and otherwise examined by a host of team doctors and medical officials. Meeting later with reporters, Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones described the condition that led to his departure from one school and has caused concern among some NFL teams about his long-term career projection.

ESPN's Mel Kiper listed Jones as the draft's top overall prospect before the scouting combine, but his injury history and decision not to work out here left us with an incomplete assessment of whether he should be in the conversation for the Detroit Lions' No. 5 overall pick. Kiper considers Jones an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker -- the Lions use a 4-3 -- but his skills are said to be transcendent to scheme.

I'm going to write more about the Lions' draft approach later in the week, but their recent spate of injuries among draft choices -- tailbacks Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure, offensive lineman Jason Fox and receiver Ryan Broyles among them -- should give them some pause about Jones.

Jones has spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal column. In his case, it has occurred between the C-4 and C-5 vertebrae. The condition has contributed to the early retirement of some NFL players, and doctors at the combine were charged with determining whether Jones' career will be shorter as a result.

"There are some great doctors out there," Jones said, "and they know if I shouldn't be playing this game, I [would] have stopped a long time ago. Because my MRIs, from the day it happened to today, it hasn't gotten any worse. It still looks the same. So that's good."

Jones suffered a stinger in 2009 while playing at USC, leading to the diagnosis and the refusal of school doctors to clear him. He transferred to Georgia and piled up 28 sacks over the next two seasons, proving to be the kind of playmaker that Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has targeted this offseason.

But are the Lions willing to risk that Jones' condition won't worsen? Mayhew told local reporters that Jones looked "fine" to him but that "every situation is different." Jones said he will continue to perform a workout routine devised to protect his neck as best as possible.

To be clear, Jones' situation is not unique. One of the primary goals of the combine is to measure not only a player's current health but his susceptibility to long-term issues, be it stenosis or a lack of knee cartilage or any other condition.

Many of those players are drafted, especially when they are as talented as Jones. Some play full careers. Some depart early. The Lions' recent history makes Jones a particularly risky pick, but drafting is about managing risk. You can't eliminate it entirely.

There is ZERO chance that I would draft this player with our 1st round pick in the draft! I'm not even sure I'd take him in the 2nd. He's just way to risky a choice given his medical condition. (As evidenced by USC doctors that refused to clear him for play). Are you kidding me! Already had a stinger and he's not yet tackled a legitimate NFL running back! Add to that, it's speculation that Jones could even transition to a 4-3 pass rush player.

This has "Get's big signing bonus - Early career exit" written all over it!

NOT INTERESTED!!!! [-(

February 25th, 2013, 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Not interested either. In my pending mock draft, Im working on Buffalo at #8 and Jones is STILL on the board. No thanks.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 25th, 2013, 10:26 am
Rookie Player of the Year

kdsberman wrote:
Not interested either. In my pending mock draft, Im working on Buffalo at #8 and Jones is STILL on the board. No thanks.

I think because of what happened last season and the offseason before that, there's no way the FO will take a player with significant injury or character concerns, even later in the draft. Same reason we didn't draft Jenkins last year. Not saying it's always a smart move, but that's where we're at.

February 25th, 2013, 11:21 am
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I think because of what happened last season and the offseason before that, there's no way the FO will take a player with significant injury or character concerns, even later in the draft. Same reason we didn't draft Jenkins last year. Not saying it's always a smart move, but that's where we're at.

Yeah, and Jenkins was the guy we probably SHOULD HAVE TAKEN A CHANCE ON.

February 25th, 2013, 11:58 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Although I like the idea of a Jones type LB, I wouldn't want the Lions to risk a top 5 pick on him. If we trade back, then maybe he's a consideration. Feel like we need that type of OLB. As mentioned here previously, a " Peterson " type of OLB would greatly improve our LB crew. Better coverage and blitz opportunities. That's why I don't care for Durant, though he may be strong against the run, believe he's a liability in pass coverage.

February 25th, 2013, 1:30 pm
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Jenkins was picked before we picked in the 2nd round. The CB that I'm miffed on that we passed on was Trumane Johnson, who, IMO would have been our #2 CB, or could have been our starting FS. Still, I think Kontz should have been the pick.

February 25th, 2013, 2:21 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Jenkins was picked before we picked in the 2nd round. The CB that I'm miffed on that we passed on was Trumane Johnson, who, IMO would have been our #2 CB, or could have been our starting FS. Still, I think Kontz should have been the pick.

I think we were both talking about taking Jenkins in the first, which would've been a reach not because of talent but character.

February 25th, 2013, 2:40 pm
Jenkins over Reiff? I don't know about that one. We needed to fix our OL. Even with Reiff returning at OL we're still in shambles up front. We'd be really screwed if we didn't have him stepping in at RT.

February 25th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Don't get fooled by Jenkins INT numbers and the ESPN highlight reels. The guy missed a ton of tackles this year and gave up just as many big plays if not more than what he made. The CB they should have drafted was the one I was calling for almost all season, Casey Heyward. I saw him as a perfect compliment to Houston or the very least the best nickel Detroit would have fielded in a long time.

February 25th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I think we were both talking about taking Jenkins in the first, which would've been a reach not because of talent but character.

I was meaning that we should have traded up from our 2nd round pick as high as we needed to to get him.

February 26th, 2013, 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]