View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
liontrax wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I think he's looking for new LBs as well. The Lions have three of the weakest starting LBs in the league.

Hope so!
Would you take Manti Te'o at 5?

And put him where? Tulloch is inked to a long term deal (a mistake, I think) and Te'o would be out of position on the outside of this defense. I wouldn't have a problem if the Lions drafted Te'o, but what happens with Tulloch?

This defense has so many needs it goes beyond pitiful.

December 31st, 2012, 8:34 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
I think he's looking for new LBs as well. The Lions have three of the weakest starting LBs in the league.

Hope so!

And put him where? Tulloch is inked to a long term deal (a mistake, I think) and Te'o would be out of position on the outside of this defense. I wouldn't have a problem if the Lions drafted Te'o, but what happens with Tulloch?

Could Tulloch move over to Sam?

December 31st, 2012, 8:39 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

Hope so!

" And put him where? " Actually, first bus out of town would be my preference. Ok, guess that's not going to happen. He does make some good plays. Just not enough. Can't cover TE's. He's too short. Actually, I'm not all that impressed with any of our starting backers.

As for Te'o at 5? If I thought he could be like Urlacher, Willis or Lewis, then I'd have no problem. Way to soon to gauge who the top talents in this draft are.

December 31st, 2012, 9:26 pm
Team MVP

From everything I've seen and heard, I have no doubt he can play the Sam or Will also, not just the Mike.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 1st, 2013, 6:22 am
Player of the Year - Defense

It's dumb to take a LB in the top 10. You can find plenty of talent in the second or third round, or in FA. The position just isn't that hard to fill. Bowman, who the 49ers took in the third round, is a better player than their top 10 pick Willis.

Teo is no doubt a great player, but he's probably overrated due to the fact that he plays for ND and his personal issues.

January 1st, 2013, 8:52 pm
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
It's dumb to take a LB in the top 10. You can find plenty of talent in the second or third round, or in FA. The position just isn't that hard to fill. Bowman, who the 49ers took in the third round, is a better player than their top 10 pick Willis.

Teo is no doubt a great player, but he's probably overrated due to the fact that he plays for ND and his personal issues.

Ya i wouldnt take him at 5. Not when you can get a premium position like DE (Werner), LT (Joekel), or moving down a few CB (Milliner).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 1st, 2013, 9:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

After watching Lewan yesterday take on arguably the best DE in CFB in Clowney out of S. Carolina.. I'd take him in a heart beat if he declares as he is a Jr. Have Lewan be the LT of the future and put Reiff at RG/RT.. the guy is a road grader and his talents IMO can best be used there.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 2nd, 2013, 9:11 am
Team MVP

LionsFan4Life wrote:
After watching Lewan yesterday take on arguably the best DE in CFB in Clowney out of S. Carolina.. I'd take him in a heart beat if he declares as he is a Jr. Have Lewan be the LT of the future and put Reiff at RG/RT.. the guy is a road grader and his talents IMO can best be used there.

All the holes on the defensive side of the ball and you want to take the 2nd/3rd rated OT?

January 2nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

kdsberman wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

All the holes on the defensive side of the ball and you want to take the 2nd/3rd rated OT?

I guess I must of heard incorrectly during the game b/c it was either Gruden or Tirico that said IF we were to declare that he'd be the #1 OT on the board.

Who do you have that's better?

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 2nd, 2013, 3:31 pm
Team MVP

LionsFan4Life wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

I guess I must of heard incorrectly during the game b/c it was either Gruden or Tirico that said IF we were to declare that he'd be the #1 OT on the board.

Who do you have that's better?

I mean I'm no Mike Mayock, but I think Joeckel clearly is better, but that's just my opinion. Not to mention Lewan is a dirty player and IMO that's the last thing we need, stupid personal fouls...late hits...unnecessary roughness. Again, just my opinion.

January 2nd, 2013, 5:06 pm
I don't think you pass on a guy just because he's not rated tops at his player position. It doesn't matter if Jockel is better than Lewan or not, if Lewan is ready to play LT at a starting caliber level in the NFL in 2013, you take him, period. IMO this team's biggest need is by far LT. Backus can't hold it together for a complete season anymore, and he was marginal at best for the last two seasons. Sure he can pass block and fend guys off, but the amount of time he gives Stafford (or lack there of) and his inability to run block reduce his importance to this team.

That said, I personally don't think Lewan is ready. I really hope that Jockel falls, but I don't see it. Blueskies says Jake Long sucks, but I say letting go of Avril and signing Jake Long may be our best option.

It allows us to draft a true top flight DE, and maintain our ability to protect our Qb, and helps us run block... Along with bringing a former Michigan man home (and I don't mean a UofM guy, I mean a guy that grew up literally 10 miles from the Silverdome).

January 4th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't think you pass on a guy just because he's not rated tops at his player position. It doesn't matter if Jockel is better than Lewan or not, if Lewan is ready to play LT at a starting caliber level in the NFL in 2013, you take him, period. IMO this team's biggest need is by far LT. Backus can't hold it together for a complete season anymore, and he was marginal at best for the last two seasons. Sure he can pass block and fend guys off, but the amount of time he gives Stafford (or lack there of) and his inability to run block reduce his importance to this team.

That said, I personally don't think Lewan is ready. I really hope that Jockel falls, but I don't see it. Blueskies says Jake Long sucks, but I say letting go of Avril and signing Jake Long may be our best option.

It allows us to draft a true top flight DE, and maintain our ability to protect our Qb, and helps us run block... Along with bringing a former Michigan man home (and I don't mean a UofM guy, I mean a guy that grew up literally 10 miles from the Silverdome).

Id love for them to sign Long, but Id bet money it never happens.

January 4th, 2013, 2:34 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Id love for them to sign Long, but Id bet money it never happens.

The only way we get Long is if we somehow lose Gosider to FA and have to move Reiff to RT (which, oddly enough, is where he belongs). This administration will never admit a mistake, and, IMO, they're going to stick with Reiff at LT at all costs.

They should just let Gos go in FA, not offer him a damn thing, and go after Long, but I don't think they're smart enough for that.

January 4th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Long would be nice but as important as a good LT is I think tthe idea of needing a premier guy is overrated. What's more important is having good balance along the O-line and a good O-line coach. There have been a lot of recent Super Bowl champs that have done so with good to really good LTs not the top 5 $$$ earners. I think Reiff can get the job done with a better G next to him, the same thing went for Backus and I was never a fan of him. Backus may have never been great but he was good enough if they could have put a G with at least equal talent next to him. Sims has been good and Backus has looked good with being injured and old, it also helps at Stafford has a quick release. But as far as a LT goes I think thats behind one if not two Gs and maybe even a C.

January 4th, 2013, 8:40 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Long would be nice but as important as a good LT is I think tthe idea of needing a premier guy is overrated. What's more important is having good balance along the O-line and a good O-line coach. There have been a lot of recent Super Bowl champs that have done so with good to really good LTs not the top 5 $$$ earners. I think Reiff can get the job done with a better G next to him, the same thing went for Backus and I was never a fan of him. Backus may have never been great but he was good enough if they could have put a G with at least equal talent next to him. Sims has been good and Backus has looked good with being injured and old, it also helps at Stafford has a quick release. But as far as a LT goes I think thats behind one if not two Gs and maybe even a C.

The issue is, we need a true starting caliber LT, and Long may be the only one available if Jockel is gone. And remember, cutting Backus saves us $3 mill. Take Longs cap # for this year and minus it by $3 mill, cause that's what we'd be saving with his replacement.

That said, it's also more likely that we get a premier pass rusher out of the first round than a premier LT.

When you're factoring in what level of LT we "need" or should have, you also have to consider how many pass attempts we make every year. A premier LT isn't as important in Baltimore.

January 4th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next