View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions RB situation 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Lions RB situation
He's had numerous plays like that this year where the play was there to be made and he just missed it. Bell started the season like that but his vision actually improved during the season.

December 31st, 2012, 9:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

And for the record I don't want to trade the guy yet. I want him to get better and play like he gives a sh*t.

I do agree that we need to replace the trash recepticles playing RG & C tho. Peterman has no business playing pro football

December 31st, 2012, 9:48 pm
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
And for the record I don't want to trade the guy yet. I want him to get better and play like he gives a sh*t.

I do agree that we need to replace the trash recepticles playing RG & C tho. Peterman has no business playing pro football

there are plenty of guys that give a sh*t. you dont waste your time with them unless they have rare talent like a moss or a bryant. leshoure, his achilles robbed him of it, no reason to waste any more effort on him. cash out if you can

December 31st, 2012, 10:20 pm
Walk On

We can complain about LeShoure, but he has a nose for the end zone. I think we just need a solid complimentary back. Maybe Kenyon Barner out of Oregon can fit that catch & run back with speed we're looking for.

January 1st, 2013, 4:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yep.

1) Replace Peterman (& Dom if possible)
2) Speedback in FA or 3rd rd+ (such as the suggested Kenyon Barner/etc)
3) ...
4) Profit

January 1st, 2013, 4:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think the first thing the Lions need to do is add a fullback to this roster.

Second they need to find a back to replace Javid Best.

Third they need to make changes to the offensive line starting with Dominic Raiola.

January 1st, 2013, 8:09 pm
League MVP

Leo wrote:

Third they need to make changes to the offensive line starting with Dominic Raiola.

Reiff was kind of a fullback this season...1st rd pick great day. I agree with you that having a fullback could help or at least increases the offensive repertoire. Lions did add Shaun Chapas to the roster and he played down the stretch. Anytime you can make the defensive coordinator have to prepare for more things, Im all for it.

January 1st, 2013, 10:38 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Leo wrote:

Reiff was kind of a fullback this season...1st rd pick great day. I agree with you that having a fullback could help or at least increases the offensive repertoire. Lions did add Shaun Chapas to the roster and he played down the stretch. Anytime you can make the defensive coordinator have to prepare for more things, Im all for it.

The team plays out of the Shotgun too much to really worry about a fullback. Though I guess having a running game that could keep the defense guessing may allow Stafford to play under center more, so maybe a true FB could help.

January 1st, 2013, 10:44 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Leo wrote:

The team plays out of the Shotgun too much to really worry about a fullback. Though I guess having a running game that could keep the defense guessing may allow Stafford to play under center more, so maybe a true FB could help.

nothing ticks me off more than when they ll have a drive with some successful runs and then they come out on 3rd and 2 with an empty backfield in shotgun. play action seems to be an ancient thought on 3rd down around here

January 1st, 2013, 10:56 pm
I don't know if he can block at all, but Lonnie Pryor had a hulluva day. He could be a dual threat FB that can block and run. Dood has wheels. I'd look at him for sure in the draft, he's a senior.

That said, unless we can find a great weapon, I'd rather experiment with guys like Heller or ? at FB, maybe someone super late round (we never use our late round picks on anything meaningful anyhow).

And, I think you guys are over-estimating what a FB will do for this offense. There's a lot of talk that, if we just had a lead blocker, we'd get more yards, but you guys ignore the fact that we're putting 2 and sometimes 3 TEs out there (with Reiff), and it's just putting that "lead blocker" on the line. It's all about bodies matching up with bodies, we're putting all we got out there to run block, and still coming up short. A FB isn't' going to help that, a good OL will.

January 2nd, 2013, 6:02 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't know if he can block at all, but Lonnie Pryor had a hulluva day. He could be a dual threat FB that can block and run. Dood has wheels. I'd look at him for sure in the draft, he's a senior.

That said, unless we can find a great weapon, I'd rather experiment with guys like Heller or ? at FB, maybe someone super late round (we never use our late round picks on anything meaningful anyhow).

And, I think you guys are over-estimating what a FB will do for this offense. There's a lot of talk that, if we just had a lead blocker, we'd get more yards, but you guys ignore the fact that we're putting 2 and sometimes 3 TEs out there (with Reiff), and it's just putting that "lead blocker" on the line. It's all about bodies matching up with bodies, we're putting all we got out there to run block, and still coming up short. A FB isn't' going to help that, a good OL will.

i dont think a FB will make a huge difference but its just an extra thing teams will have to prepare for. we wasted roster spots on kellen moore who couldve easily been on the PS and Stefan Logan who has no business in the NFL anymore so if a FB replaced one of them it wouldnt cost us much depending on how that player was acquired. FB is usually a good player to have on Kickoff return team and punt team.

January 2nd, 2013, 7:09 pm
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

i dont think a FB will make a huge difference but its just an extra thing teams will have to prepare for. we wasted roster spots on kellen moore who couldve easily been on the PS and Stefan Logan who has no business in the NFL anymore so if a FB replaced one of them it wouldnt cost us much depending on how that player was acquired. FB is usually a good player to have on Kickoff return team and punt team.

I agree with you there completely.

Most people on here tend to think that because we always seem one block away from a big gainer that a FB would make that block. It's that logic that I believe is flawed.

January 2nd, 2013, 7:27 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I think the FB has largely faded into NFL history for a reason.

I think the Lions' base package should be 3 WRs + 1 RB + 1 TE. They should be able to run out of this formation effectively as the other team will pull their safeties back, as they did all this season. If the Lions start running a FB, you'll just pull safeties back into the box and negate any advantage.

The problem is, as others have said, a poor offensive line. Sure, it can pass block. But the line can't run block whatsoever. Even when Best was getting those 100+ yard games he was doing it Marshall Faulk style with a lot of screen passes and such.

January 3rd, 2013, 1:28 am
Blueskies wrote:
I think the FB has largely faded into NFL history for a reason.

I think the Lions' base package should be 3 WRs + 1 RB + 1 TE. They should be able to run out of this formation effectively as the other team will pull their safeties back, as they did all this season. If the Lions start running a FB, you'll just pull safeties back into the box and negate any advantage.

The problem is, as others have said, a poor offensive line. Sure, it can pass block. But the line can't run block whatsoever. Even when Best was getting those 100+ yard games he was doing it Marshall Faulk style with a lot of screen passes and such.

I agree with you. In terms of blocking, and FB only allows a team "flexibility" or the ability to pick up the guy that slipped through, but this comes at a sacrifice, you're literally ALLOWING the guy to slip through by not putting a body on him at the line, and HOPING the FB picks him up in the backfield or meets him at the LOS. Quite literally, in a non-FB run pattern, someone on the OL has to have screwed up for the FB to be effective in the first place. In a non-FB run pattern that guy SHOULD have been picked up at the LOS. The "one guy" that many "fans" on here think should have been blocked by a FB, would have and should have been blocked by someone at the line, had they done their job.

That said, for guys like Cooney (Washington) that has great hands, can play TE or FB, or guys like Hillis (was a FB before he was moved to RB), they offer such versitility that they could and should have a place on any team. It has been mentioned, but it's just one more guy to be accountable for. It's one more package teams have to scheme against.

If we can turn Leshoure into a FB and have him in the backfield with Bell, or if we can get someone like Pryor (FSU), I'm all for having a FB, but the reason being is more because they are that talented than it is the position is that important.

January 3rd, 2013, 4:07 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a guy like Kelce or even Marqueis Gray to play a similar role as Hernandez in New England. Where they can line them up in the backfield, TE, in the slot or out wide.

January 3rd, 2013, 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next