View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Thank You Snyder! 
Site Admin

Post Thank You Snyder!
Lot's of crap going on in the Michigan Legislature...they are passing stuff like crazy in the lame duck session all underneath the right to work hoopla and it's scary. Thank you for vetoing the concealed weapon carry legislature allowing guns in schools and churches and other gun free zones.

8-[ I'm buckling up for the fury lol

December 19th, 2012, 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Thank You Snyder!
theAlphaMale wrote:
Lot's of crap going on in the Michigan Legislature...they are passing stuff like crazy in the lame duck session all underneath the right to work hoopla and it's scary. Thank you for vetoing the concealed weapon carry legislature allowing guns in schools and churches and other gun free zones.

8-[ I'm buckling up for the fury lol

I really like everything he's done. I feel like he's pretty much a moderate that's for fiscal responsibility and reigning in entitlement spending in a responsible way, and curbing Liberal policies that have held us back. He's done more in four years for this state than Jenny did in 8. She was HORRID!!! IMO, much the same way that Barack Obama is horrid.

December 19th, 2012, 10:11 am
Site Admin

As someone who agrees with some of the leftist ideas myself I have liked Snyder and I also have no issue with the Union legislation either. I agree with you on him being a moderate and feel unfortunately that the country has both mouth pieces of the far left and far right that are all too vocal. When there are politicians who refuse comprimise on principal to the detriment to the people because it sounds good in political ads its very frustrating. The country is very evenly split and I feel NO ONE has a mandate and the reality is people are typically all much closer to the center of things rather than all this way or all that way. The fact is that if you are watching a television station or you listen to a politician and you agree completely with their platform on all ends then I am guessing you are not thinking for yourself any longer.

Snyders veto is likely extremely unpopular with many gun rights advocates but I like a person who makes decisions on his own and NOT based on a specific formulaic platform. Does that mean I love a lot of the other stuff going on...no way but I am willing to deal with someone who makes their own decisions over someone who just tows the party line.

December 19th, 2012, 10:49 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I doubt the veto would have gone through if not for the conn shooting.

December 19th, 2012, 1:12 pm
conversion02 wrote:

I doubt the Bill would have been up and rushed through if not for the Conn shooting.

December 19th, 2012, 1:40 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Love Synder. Will vote again for him.

But this state's problems are too vast for him to fix.

December 20th, 2012, 12:41 am
Blueskies wrote:
Love Synder. Will vote again for him.

But this state's problems are too vast for him to fix.

He's doing a good job so far though. I hope the RTW stuff doesn't get him canned at his next election. With a 2nd term I think he could really do some good. I think that 2nd bridge will help a good deal, and I think some manufacturing jobs will come back with the RTW stuff.

He already has budget surpluses, we just have to keep it going, keep fixing stuff, and keep progressing.

December 20th, 2012, 4:04 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I doubt the Bill would have been up and rushed through if not for the Conn shooting.

They'd been working in it for quite awhile now, but it was rushed through because if specifics that Snyder wanted in there. The veto was primarily public pressure, or so it seems, with the recent events. That's why the pro gunnies were pissed, they put in what Snyder asked them to, then it was vetoed.

December 23rd, 2012, 1:14 am
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
He's doing a good job so far though. I hope the RTW stuff doesn't get him canned at his next election. With a 2nd term I think he could really do some good. I think that 2nd bridge will help a good deal, and I think some manufacturing jobs will come back with the RTW stuff.

He already has budget surpluses, we just have to keep it going, keep fixing stuff, and keep progressing.

The state is in a temporary upswing for two reasons:

1) The auto industry has bounced back

2) The Canadian economy is great

Neither of these things will last much longer IMO.

Synder's done the right things, but again, the problems are too big. This state still lacks a major city. It still remains dependent on the auto industry. When the auto industry slows down again, the state will fall back into the abyss.

The state needs to diversify its workforce. To do that it needs a major city attractive to people between the ages of 22-35; people that will come for work, stay and raise families. It needs other major industries it can relay upon besides autos.

To save this state, I would take dictatorial control of Detroit and immediately begin right sizing. Or, I would abandon it entirely and offer incentives to and other measures to shift the focus to Ann Arbor. I would do everything I could to attract venture capital, and I would give any person under the age of 35 with a college degree immunity from property taxes.

December 24th, 2012, 12:02 am
RIP Killer

Snyder vetoing the gun bill was ONLY because of the Newtown shooting. He was prepared to sign that bill into law, and collapsed under public pressure. He should have just shelved it, rather than flat out veto it. There's actually some good content in that proposed bill, including the ability of people to carry concealed on school premises, providing they had passed an advanced class and logged sufficient range time.

However, those of you who do have a CPL, remember this. The parking lot of a school is not considered school premises, and does not constitute part of the 'gun free zone'. It is perfectly legal to have your weapon on you in the parking lot. You just cannot enter the school doors.

December 31st, 2012, 8:51 pm
Varsity Captain

Blueskies, are you insane? Obviously you are one of the 22 to 35 folks that you are campainging for. I'd like to see the results of an I.Q. test for you. Then we can ship you to Detroit or better yet Lansing where you would fit in great. And this goes for all of you younger guys that have higher education and decent jobs. Let's shut down Detroit and shift the focus to Ann Arbor. Are you out of your young rectum mind? What do you think will happen to all those people that used to work those manufacturing jobs. Most are over your age limit of 35 for state supported advancement. Is it considered entitlement to retrain all the workers that supported this state while you where in college. How do we house and feed these people while we train them. Instead of giving them goverment money, which most of them paid into for years, let's just worry about our young highly educated people, which we should worry about because they will be the future of this state. You cannot abandon the older, technicaly uneducated people that cannot find paying jobs because they spent their younger year producing everything that made this state great or spent half of their lives fighting wars that had nothing to do with us or nothing left for them when they came home, if they did.
I may have gone way off track, but I am one of the people that went off to sunny SE Asia for vacation. I was one of those that got to come home or so I thought. My home was nothing like the place I had left. I could get all the dope I got there but the stuff here was killing people. Nobody could understand why I would jump when I heard a loud noise, they thought it was funny as hell.

I found a couple of manufacturing jobs in Michigan that lasted about 2 years each. Then I kinda looked like Rambo without the muscles, spent 4 years visiting more than 15 states. Loved every one of them but couldn't afford to stay because of my health. I had to get back to Michigan where after 5 years of vereifing my contributions to the Fed. and St. tax base, they finally proclaimed that I deserved Social Security Disability and Medicare in 1993. I had spent 5 years just asking for more than the $262.00 a month that I got from the state Michigan.

Think about it. With your education and your stance against entitlement, no matter if your a rocket sciencetist or a homeless vet, if the economy goes to hell, you will both be living on the same streets.

January 3rd, 2013, 7:25 pm
1) I don't know why anyone would say that our State is in an upswing for two reasons, state the auto industry and the Canadian economy, and then say it's about to fail. Why do you see the auto industry failing here in MI, especially in light of RTW? Why do you see the Canadian economy failing? They're relatively debt free, they have an affordable national health care plan, they're doubling their oil production in the next couple of years, and they seem to be doing pretty damn good.

2) I agree that we need to build higher education, retain our workers, and invest more in public education, but that doesn't mean it has to come at the expense of the auto industry. We do need to diversify our corporate landscape, but that doesn't mean that keeping our auto manufacturing industry shouldn't be a priority, or even priority #1.

January 4th, 2013, 1:34 pm
Pro Bowl Player

@Boz

Who do you think pays for your disability, buddy? As with all re-distributive programs, if you have no productive workers to produce, the people who can't work don't get anything at all.

The reason why I believe the state should offer tax subsidies to young working professionals is relatively simple:

For the most part, people follow a standard pattern. They graduate college in their early 20s. They take their first job usually in an urban area. By their late 20s they meet a spouse, and move to the suburbs to raise children. In their mid 30s they start making some real money and actually pay into the tax base. Once they have established their roots, they don't leave an area.

The people that you really want are those workers 35-50. The really productive ones that command high salaries and really pay into your tax system.

But, no 40 year old engineer is going to leave, say Google in Northern California to take a job for GM here. They don't want to make their wife have to find a new job. They don't want to take their kids out of the familiar school system, etc. If you want these workers, you have to "trap" them when they are young.

I went to the University of Michigan. About half the kids there are from out of state. Really smart kids that only came to Michigan because they couldn't get into the ivy leagues. You know how many of them stick around? Virtually none. They go back to NYC or Chicago or some other area. In my mind that's a ****ing travesty. That says nothing of the countless Michigan kids who leave their home state. So much brain drain.

The reason why I would consider moving the major city from Detroit to Ann Arbor is because Detroit is hopeless and Ann Arbor actually has some promise. Detroit is too far gone to ever save at this point, and yet the benefits of having a major city are tremendous.

Quote:
1) I don't know why anyone would say that our State is in an upswing for two reasons, state the auto industry and the Canadian economy, and then say it's about to fail. Why do you see the auto industry failing here in MI, especially in light of RTW? Why do you see the Canadian economy failing? They're relatively debt free, they have an affordable national health care plan, they're doubling their oil production in the next couple of years, and they seem to be doing pretty damn good.

The Canadian economy has been driven by record high commodity prices over the last 7 years or so. I believe these prices will moderate, oil will come down, lumber will come down, the price of gold, etc. and the record growth Canada has will fade. I doubt they will have a crash, but they are due for a decent slow down.

As for the auto industry: you're falling into the same trap everyone else has in this state for the last 50 years. Anytime the auto industry shows promise people forget the bad times. The domestic auto industry is being driven by three factors: 1) Weak US dollar making domestics more attractive, and a strong yen making Japanese cars less attractive 2) Low interest rates driving 0 down financing and 3) The average age of a car on the road being 10+ years old. These things will not continue on indefinitely, when they do the auto industry will slow, and we'll fall apart once again.

Look at NYC. NYC has a variety of industries, but their big one is Wall Street and finance. WST is an a lull. So what is Mayor Bloomberg doing? He's doing everything he can to bring hi-tech companies to New York. That's what we should do here.

January 6th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Blueskies, if you think that you are paying for my disability then your in for a real big surprise when it comes time for you to start collecting your S.S. benefits and Medicare health benefits, whenever that might be. Age 65, 72 or how about 80? You cannot recieve Social Security retirement or disability benefits unless you have paid your FICA taxes and federal income taxes for at least 10 quarters in the last 10 years(I believe) prior to your retirement or disability. If you don't meet that standard then you don't get poop from the federal government as far as SSRI, SSDI or Medicare benefits.

All that considered, if you think that you are paying for my disability, then you need to find a financial advisor, beacuse you have no idea in hell where your money is going. Just pray to God that some of it is going to the S.S.A., buddy.

I'm quite sure that somebody like WJB can either confirm what I am saying or correct me(which I welcome), goddamn lawyers..j/k.

What you need to understand is that it is not(all) the people that are recieving the benefits, but the government agencies that get a bill and pay it without question. The medical CORPORATIONS that insist that they had to read that X-ray 10 times and the bill is paid 10 times. Last year alone there were over $4mil in charges to Medicade in the state of Michigan that were redflagged as suspitious but paid nonetheless. Nobody can explain it but Snyder, Granholm and Engler are willing to let cities like Detroit, Flint and Saginaw, be dissolved, taken over by the state or have their public safety departments cut to ribbons while crime rates skyrocket.

Let's all move to Ann Arbor. Better yet let's go to NYC and have the feds stop us from going bankrupt. Pay educated folk to move here and let those that cannot work die as they deserve nothing.

Christ, nobody has pissed me off this bad in the nine years that I have been on this site.

My next payday is Feb. 1. Make sure my money is in the bank, buddy.

January 9th, 2013, 2:32 am
Pro Bowl Player

This might grind your gears, but I do, in fact pay for your disability.

The reason why people call social security a ponzi scheme is because it is. When you were working and paying into the system 10 or 20 years ago, that money didn't get saved. It didn't get invested. It was paid out to the people who were receiving benefits back then. And, the people who are receiving benefits now are getting them at the expense of the people who are working and paying for them.

In my mind, it is deeply unfair that I have to contribute to any of these ponzi schemes, as it is highly unlikely that I will get any benefit. Unfortunately, most of the people under 30 are either too dumb to realize this, or don't care. But I do predict that over the next 10 years or so, a political rift will appear in this country between people who are receiving benefits they believe they are "entitled to" and people who are working and having to pay increasingly onerous taxes to cover the benefits.

This is the long term budget problem the U.S. faces: By any reasonable demographic projection, there simply won't be enough workers in the future to cover the benefits that were promised.

Your way of thinking is very selfish and close minded. It reminds me old people who, after their children get old, stop voting for any ballot proposals that increase funding for the local schools. Then, they are shocked when 5 or 10 years later their neighborhood goes to ****. All the young working families moved to a better area.

January 10th, 2013, 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]