View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Black Monday - Coaching Carousel begins 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Black Monday - Coaching Carousel begins
hummm, Mayhew tells a different story!

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ew_15.html

Quote:
Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew will not change his NFL Draft strategy

ALLEN PARK -- If you are a Detroit Lions fans who does not agree with general manager Martin Mayhew's NFL Draft philosophy, now would be a good time to put down your hot coffee, stop operating heavy machinery, or remember your New Year's resolution about using bad language.

You have been warned.

Mayhew typically likes to draft the best player available instead of addressing needs. He has followed that strategy ever since he became general manager late in 2008.

Last season, Detroit's biggest needs were in the secondary and at running back. Mayhew chose to select the best player available instead, and as a result, no member of Mayhew's 2012 draft class had an instant impact. Offensive lineman Riley Reiff saw some playing time, but mostly in set packages.

Detroit has several needs this offseason, and this might be Mayhew's final year as general manager if the team does not make the playoffs.

"Our philosophy will be the same. We'll look for the best player available. We won't change our beliefs about that." - Martin Mayhew

However, that sense of urgency will not alter Mayhew's draft strategy at all.

"All the guys that we draft we expect to play," Mayhew said. "We don't draft guys with the thought that they're not going to play. I don't see it (salary cap limitations) having a dramatic impact on our draft. Our philosophy will be the same. We'll look for the best player available. We won't change our beliefs about that."

That also means the majority of Detroit's fan base will not change their view of Mayhew if he continues to add luxury picks instead of players who can immediately start and play.

Mayhew said he ultimately makes the final decision on which players Detroit drafts, but still believes in his strategy.

"I think you got to have some things that you believe in," Mayhew said. "Our drafts is what allowed us to go from two wins to six wins to 10 wins. That's the reality of it. I believe in the way that we're doing it. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a bunch of teams saying we draft for need. To find a bunch of G.M.'s that say that's what I do; I just go out and take whatever I need. We're trying to find good players for the long haul.

"It's not just about getting ready for the first game of the season, and I think that's short-sighted when you start saying we don't have any 'whatever' position, and I got to draft one of those in the first round because we don't have one. Your draft is supposed to build your team for the future, in my opinion, when you're getting your team ready for every season to come, so I think you got to take the best players you can find."

January 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Like I said two years ago, Mayhew can call it BPA all he wants, but if it really is how we have our draft board stacked, whether Allenslions likes it or not, our scouting department should be canned, top to bottom, period.

The fact of the matter is, time after time, draft after draft, it's been proven that we've passed on better guys AT A POSITION OF NEED for lesser talent at a position not needed.

Of course Mayhew is going to say he has the final word, and he does, but the fact of the matter is he gave Schwartz WAY TOO MUCH INPUT on WHO to draft. Like I told you guys when you jumped up and down and had a fit, telling me the whole time "THE COACH SHOULD PICK HIS PLAYERS!!!" It doesn't work that way. The coach should request a TYPE of player, the GM should go find that guy, period.

What if Schwartz said "I want a speed guy that can catch coming out of the backfield" and Mayhew picked Chris Ivory in the 7th round (now, Ivory was undrafted, but for security sake and lack of the "how do we know he would have came here?" argument, we'll say we drafted him in the 7th round), how much different would our team be right now? Ivory was undoubtedly the BPA in the 7th round of the 2010 draft, why didn't we have him on our board? THAT'S why you can't have a coach falling in love with a player and more or less DEMANDING that one guy AT ALL COSTS, even a trade up. That's just ridiculous.

Mayhew can say that he had the final say on who to pick, but that's like a husband saying he has the final say on which family weddings to attend... It just so happens the answer is "all of them..."

January 4th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Just as much as the draft I think the Lions have been handcuffed by Schwartz wanting his guys in FA. I was never impressed in Tulloch but like every other MLB they have brought in since Boyd, he was better than the garbage that was currently on the roster. It was an okay signing for one year but they screwed the pooch re-upping him and giving him a longer contract. KVB has been unspectacular for the most part and I have yet to see his "leadership" improve the stupid penalties and missed assignments, heck he runs himself out of numerous plays by not maintaining his backside containment. I'd also wager he pushed for the Lions to not move Avril. I'm not sure Schwartz will ever be more than a good HC and that paired with Mayhew and the Fords isn't a good combination. I think you can get by with a good coach but the rest of the upper management needs to be stellar.

January 4th, 2013, 8:20 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Just as much as the draft I think the Lions have been handcuffed by Schwartz wanting his guys in FA. I was never impressed in Tulloch but like every other MLB they have brought in since Boyd, he was better than the garbage that was currently on the roster. It was an okay signing for one year but they screwed the pooch re-upping him and giving him a longer contract. KVB has been unspectacular for the most part and I have yet to see his "leadership" improve the stupid penalties and missed assignments, heck he runs himself out of numerous plays by not maintaining his backside containment. I'd also wager he pushed for the Lions to not move Avril. I'm not sure Schwartz will ever be more than a good HC and that paired with Mayhew and the Fords isn't a good combination. I think you can get by with a good coach but the rest of the upper management needs to be stellar.

I couldn't agree with you more. Schwartz allegedly went to KVBs place and said I'm not leaving until you're on my team, and gave him a ridiculous contract. Mayhew was allegedly "shrewd" in scheduling fake interviews, etc. to land Tulloch, another Schwartz guy, Durant has been less than stellar. It's not just the draft, it's FA too... Get them both out of here, stat.

January 10th, 2013, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer

This one was off the radar... Do they realize we use 4 downs in the US?

Chicago Tribune wrote:
Marc Trestman chosen to be Bears' new coach

The Bears took a swing for the fences by choosing Marc Trestman to be the 14th head coach in team history, an NFL source told the Tribune early Wednesday.

The Bears made it official with a news release shortly after 4 a.m. Trestman will be introduced Thursday at a 10 a.m. news conference.

Trestman is a somewhat unconventional choice, having been out of the NFL for eight years. But he also is a proven winner, having won back-to-back Grey Cup championships as coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. Trestman has a 64-34 record in five years as a head coach.

In addition to having head coaching experience, Trestman is a quarterback guru who has spent most of his professional life coaching passers. Clearly, he is being brought to the Bears to get the most out of Jay Cutler and whoever else lines up under center during his tenure.

Trestman, 57, was Bernie Kosar’s quarterbacks coach at the University of Miami in 1983, when the Hurricanes won the national championship. In the NFL, Kosar, Steve Young, Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer and Rich Gannon played well under Trestman’s guidance. Gannon won the 2002 Most Valuable Player award while being coached by Trestman on the Raiders.

“The skill set that Marc has, being an offensive mind, and then his great relationships that he's had with quarterbacks historically in the NFL and the work he's done with them makes him a good fit for the job,” Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said.

“A lot of guys want to be head coaches. Some leave the NFL to go to NCAA schools, and then once they've proven themselves, all of a sudden those college coaches are some of the hot commodities to be an NFL coach. It's no different. Coach Trestman has run a professional team as a head coach for five years. He's had a winning record for five years. He's proven himself as a head coach at a professional level. You can call it what you want, but on-hand training as a head coach and proof goes a long way, goes a real long way. You can't replace that.”

Trestman should know what he is getting into with Cutler. As a consultant, he worked with Cutler to prepare him for the 2006 combine. Among other players he worked with before their drafts are Jason Campbell and Tim Tebow.

Trestman’s appointment should not come as a surprise to Fox analyst Jimmy Johnson, who was Trestman’s boss at the University of Miami. Johnson tweeted Jan. 11 that it “looks like” Trestman would be getting the Bears job.

Trestman was one of 13 known candidates to be interviewed for Lovie Smith's old position. While Trestman, Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell received second interviews, Emery's final decision is believed to have come down to Trestman vs. Arians. Eight of the candidates had offensive backgrounds.

Trestman's final interview was Monday. Arians and Bevell met with Emery on Tuesday. None of the coaches knew Emery's decision until early Wednesday morning.

Interestingly, Smith nearly hired Trestman in 2004 when he was looking for an offensive coordinator. Instead, Smith settled on Terry Shea, and Trestman became Dave Wannstedt’s quarterbacks coach with the Dolphins.

Trestman also interviewed for the Browns’ head coaching vacancy this month, as well as the Raiders’ offensive coordinator position. Last year, he interviewed for the Colts’ head coaching job.

Trestman is known for a cerebral, measured approach.

“One thing about him that is a strength is his ability to listen,” Gannon said. “He takes feedback. Marc has always been the type of guy who can sit down with you and talk about things. What do you like about this? What don’t you like? His feedback is excellent. And he has an ability to be honest with you. Somebody needs to be honest with Jay Cutler.”

ESPN reported that Saints offensive line coach Aaron Kromer will serve Trestman both in that role and also as offensive coordinator, which suggests that Trestman will call the plays.

Trestman’s plans for the defense are unknown, but there’s a good chance he will retain coordinator Rod Marinelli and some of the other defensive assistants. Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates also is a possibility to stay. Trestman previously worked with Bates’ father, Jim.

Trestman played quarterback at the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State-Moorhead. He was with the Vikings for two training camps as a defensive back.

Trestman also graduated from the University of Miami School of Law and has been a member of the Florida bar since 1983. He took a few years away from coaching in the early ‘90s to practice law. He is the author of the book “Perseverance: Life Lessons on Leadership and Teamwork.”

Trestman and his wife, Cindy, have two daughters, Sarahanne and Chloe.

January 16th, 2013, 11:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

SI wrote:
Report: Chip Kelly to be new Eagles coach

The Philadelphia Eagles will name Oregon coach Chip Kelly as their new head coach, reports ESPN’s Chris Mortensen on Twitter.

Kelly was believed to be staying with the Ducks after interviewing for multiple NFL positions earlier in the offseason. Kelly had interviewed with the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills and Eagles. Last offseason, Kelly nearly became the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, backing out at the last minute to stay with the Ducks.

On Jan. 7, the Associated Press and other outlets reported that Kelly had turned down the Eagles after Philadelphia had pushed for the offensive innovator.

The biggest test for Kelly will be adapting his high-tempo offense to the NFL game. The New England Patriots have started using some of Kelly’s methods for quickening the pace, as detailed by the Boston Globe‘s Greg Bedard in October. New England’s success makes some believe Kelly has a better chance of being successful than Steve Spurrier, another former college offensive guru who struggled in his tenure with the Washington Redskins.

January 16th, 2013, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Definitely not too worried about the Bears and Trestman--seems like a sign they're still trying to make Cutler happy instead of building a great team. The Eagles should be fun to watch.

January 16th, 2013, 1:32 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, seems like he bears finally want an offensive identity. I could see them bastardizing that aging defense now.

January 16th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

conversion02 wrote:
Wow, seems like he bears finally want an offensive identity. I could see them bastardizing that aging defense now.

THey kept Marinelli as DC and plan on keeping the D together because he does such a great job with them. I dont think they will bastardize it at all, they will just try to milk every last drop out of the vets.

January 17th, 2013, 2:27 am
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

THey kept Marinelli as DC and plan on keeping the D together because he does such a great job with them. I dont think they will bastardize it at all, they will just try to milk every last drop out of the vets.

I agree. I don't expect their D to fall off at all, or really change in any way. It's painfully obvious that they made this move for their offense and Cutler, but the odd thing is, whenever a team seems to make a hire for one side of the ball, the other side gets a LOT better. Whenever a team hires an "offensive" coach, their offense is expected to get better, but it seems like it's always the D that thrives. Maybe it's that the HC and the OC of the same side of the ball as their philosophy muddles up the message? I don't mean to say that they "clash" or differ in philosophy, but maybe it's just too much second guessing or something, and the other side of the ball is free to listen to one voice?

I could be completely off-base, but it does strike me as odd the number of teams that hire a guy to better one side of the ball, and team seems to take on the completely different identity.

January 17th, 2013, 2:34 am
RIP Killer

Reuters wrote:
NFL-Chargers hire Denver's Mike McCoy as head coach

The San Diego Chargers have hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy as their new head coach, the National Football League team said on Tuesday.

McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired in December after six seasons with the team, including a 7-9 record in 2012 that left the team out of the playoffs for a third straight campaign.

January 17th, 2013, 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Reuters wrote:
NFL-Chargers hire Denver's Mike McCoy as head coach

The San Diego Chargers have hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy as their new head coach, the National Football League team said on Tuesday.

McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired in December after six seasons with the team, including a 7-9 record in 2012 that left the team out of the playoffs for a third straight campaign.

I'm not envious of SD

January 17th, 2013, 1:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

DJ-B wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Marinelli wants out, so he won't be there next year. Trestman is bringing a lot of his assistants from the CFL.

January 17th, 2013, 2:06 pm
njroar wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Marinelli wants out, so he won't be there next year. Trestman is bringing a lot of his assistants from the CFL.

Marinielli wants out of Chicago, or he wants a new HC gig? If its the former, I'm sure he'll have other opportunities, but I don't see why he would leave. If it's the latter, the market may preclude his move... I really don't think people will be lining up to hire the only coach in NFL history to go 0-16.

January 17th, 2013, 2:27 pm
Modmin Dude

FWIW on Hot Rod:
PFT wrote:
Marinelli expected to join Kiffin in Dallas
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 17, 2013, 1:28 PM EST

New Bears coach Marc Trestman just mentioned that defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli had chosen to leave the team.

And Marinelli apparently has a destination in mind.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Marinelli is expected to go to Dallas to join the staff of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Marinelli was the line coach on Kiffin’s defensive staff in Tampa Bay, and their background should help in their transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... in-dallas/

January 17th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next